PDA

View Full Version : Suppressing a Glock 19

md8232
10-02-2017, 11:17 AM
I’ve purchased a KKM threaded barrel, and I’m beginning my research into various suppressors.
Problem is I don’t know what I don’t know.
For example, Nielsen Devices. Do I need one with a Glock? Any downside to one if needed?
Ablative material. Didn’t know what it was til yesterday. Good idea, or a mess waiting to happen?
I like the Thompson Machine Poseidon 9mm. Then I discover the Feds want me to return it every time it needs
a new wipe.
I want something small & light. Not interested in a multi caliber can.
OK, fill my head with knowledge!

voodoo_man
10-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Gemtech GM9.

User serviceable, direct thread onto any barrel (pistol or rifle), works for .22 as well.

SeriousStudent
10-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Do you have any other cans, or friends with cans? If so, it's a great idea to try before you buy.

I am fond of the SilencerCo Octane 9K, having recently shot one on a buddy's Glock 19.

md8232
10-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Do you have any other cans, or friends with cans? If so, it's a great idea to try before you buy.

I am fond of the SilencerCo Octane 9K, having recently shot one on a buddy's Glock 19.

No. I'm on my own for this.
Looking for the Octane 9K, I found the Omega 9K. This is smaller and lighter, tho a bit fatter & louder.
I'm going to follow up on the Omega as I value size & weight the most.

Odin Bravo One
10-03-2017, 06:11 AM
We really need a "What you don't know about suppressors and why what features matter (or in most cases, doesn't matter)" sticky. Or maybe just a simple "how to buy any firearm or accessory using the 'mission drives the gear' decision making" sticky?

1) If you do not have a fixed barrel, you need an inertia device.
2) A suppressed pistol has a very limited range of practical applications.
3) Every company claims their product is lighter, smaller, greater sound and signature reduction, and/or "better" than their competitors.
4) They are all full of shit.
5) Most suppressor purchasers don't know how/why to prioritize features and capabilities. (Including agency and organizational purchasers)
6) Most people providing suppressor related advice are no more qualified to answer than the person asking.
7) Just about every commercially manufactured suppressor will produce negligible differences in practical performance.
8) Suppressors are not magic.
9) Pistol Suppressors are little more than tactical toys.
10) Suppressors don't add inches to your dick.

LOKNLOD
10-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Good stuff, Sean. Given the realistic realm of uses for pistol suppressors, are there certain features you would prioritize getting (or, features that are much hyped but mostly meaningless?)

10) Suppressors don't add inches to your dick.

Unless your dick is threaded 1/2x28. In which case you need all the help you can get.

Odin Bravo One
10-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Decibels of reduction is one particular feature I put zero emphasis on.

Here is the problem with sound reduction claims: THERE IS NO INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR MEASURING SOUND SUPPRESSION LEVELS. Any manufacturer can claim whatever they want. But just because they claim it, doesn't make it so.

Attachment method is another. I struggle to find a practical need for QD features on any Suppressor, let alone a pistol suppressor.

Since it is relevant based on the OPs initial post; multi-caliber capability. There are only so many bullet sizes. Pressures and construction materials dictate more of a suppressor's ability to handle multiple calibers than simple size of the hole or the threads. I can't see a good reason to not leave as many options available as possible. The price difference between multi-caliber capable Suppressors and those that are a one caliber pony is negligible to the point of irrelevant, so why someone would consciously elect to limit the scope of usability is lost on me.

Finally...... I don't recall you being so judgmental LOKNLOAD........ not all of us were born with 5/8x24 threads.

JRCHolsters
10-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Decibels of reduction is one particular feature I put zero emphasis on.

Here is the problem with sound reduction claims: THERE IS NO INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR MEASURING SOUND SUPPRESSION LEVELS. Any manufacturer can claim whatever they want. But just because they claim it, doesn't make it so.

Attachment method is another. I struggle to find a practical need for QD features on any Suppressor, let alone a pistol suppressor.

Since it is relevant based on the OPs initial post; multi-caliber capability. There are only so many bullet sizes. Pressures and construction materials dictate more of a suppressor's ability to handle multiple calibers than simple size of the hole or the threads. I can't see a good reason to not leave as many options available as possible. The price difference between multi-caliber capable Suppressors and those that are a one caliber pony is negligible to the point of irrelevant, so why someone would consciously elect to limit the scope of usability is lost on me.

Finally...... I don't recall you being so judgmental LOKNLOAD........ not all of us were born with 5/8x24 threads.
I am probably going to regret answering this thread, as I am dating myself. Sean is unfortunately quite correct on sound measurements and multi caliber cans. I say unfortunate because, it wasn't always that way. There used to be an industry standard. It was actually the Mil-Standard and very few of us had the proper calibrated equipment and actually published the results. At the time(late 80'-early 90's) we also specified if a can was dry or wet, especially with dB ratings. Gemtech, Knights, SWR, AWC(didn't always differentiate wet and dry #'s in advertising) all had the correct metering systems. Two authors I know of also had the correct meter/mic combos.

With the push for user serviceable cans came a problem, a ligh level of customers couldn't put them back together correctly, causing lots of fucked up units. Mono-core technology is really nothing new, it was tried quite a bit back in the day(HK used it in the MP5SD) Problem was, it sucked and pretty much still does. You see some amazing feats of machining and design, but most don't come close the the potential of a can with conical baffles(designs vary). Bowing to the pressure of the marketplace, manufacturers gave customers what they thought they wanted and the industry stopped bothering with meaningful numbers. I am still quite involved in the background of the industry and it is amazing how many mono-core designs actually perform not much better than if the can is empty. Sad statement. Some of us older designers ahve to bite our lips quite a bit, trying to not sound like the old bitter bastards that we are.
As for Ablatives, well KY Jelly actually is the bomb when you are out at the range. Older type conical baffle cans will hold 3-5cc of water without leaking. Shooters Choice All weather(think they call it hitech grease now) grease works well injected into the rear expansion area. A test was done once with piss and it actually worked better than water. Smelled horribly though.
With the exception of the M92 and variants, you will need a booster device. On the M92, you can usually get away with up to 8oz hanging off the muzzle before you run into issues.
Just some ramblings from the old bitter bastard, hope they help ;-)

Hansohn Brothers
10-03-2017, 07:46 AM
I’ve purchased a KKM threaded barrel, and I’m beginning my research into various suppressors.
Problem is I don’t know what I don’t know.
For example, Nielsen Devices. Do I need one with a Glock? Any downside to one if needed?
Ablative material. Didn’t know what it was til yesterday. Good idea, or a mess waiting to happen?
I like the Thompson Machine Poseidon 9mm. Then I discover the Feds want me to return it every time it needs
a new wipe.
I want something small & light. Not interested in a multi caliber can.
OK, fill my head with knowledge!

Welcome to the NFA world!

Yes, the Glock requires a Nielsen device, also called a booster. It helps the handgun function with additional weight of the silencer. Most, if not all, handgun silencers come with one. Fixed barreled handguns such as a Beretta 92, don’t require a booster but use a fixed barrel adapter.

Ablatives are messy. They do add a little more sound reduction and it doesn’t hurt to try.

For 9mm, I’m really impressed with AAC’s TiRant 9M. In the short configuration it weighs less than 8 ounces.

OnionsAndDragons
10-03-2017, 10:38 AM
JRCHolsters
Are there any user serviceable models that use a close to optimal baffle system that you know of?

I'm really good at LEGOs and stuff, and can put LEM pistols back together. :)

A decent can and a 1301 are about all that's on my definitely acquiring in the foreseeable future list, so this is relevant to my interests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRCHolsters
10-03-2017, 12:07 PM
@JRCHolsters (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1151)
Are there any user serviceable models that use a close to optimal baffle system that you know of?

I'm really good at LEGOs and stuff, and can put LEM pistols back together. :)

A decent can and a 1301 are about all that's on my definitely acquiring in the foreseeable future list, so this is relevant to my interests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk I won't recommend any specific brand, but I will say this....a good indexable K-Baffle is hard to beat. Period! I always laugh when I hear someone say "hahaa, can you believe they still use the K-baffle?" That is something the ill informed say. Now, that doesn't mean the manufacturer has the right indexing, cuts or angle per caliber, but it is a good performer mostly. I still have a prototype Vortex-9 that can do a solid 28-30dB reduction on a M92 with 147grn subsonic....dry.

An example about how something being caliber specific can make a difference if done right and measured to Milspec; A style of K-Baffle that worked great in 5.56 used a staggered orientation. The same baffle +3 in a longer can for 7.62 did worse, a lot worse. Now, reorienting the baffles to 0 degrees actually bought 10dB of reduction.

md8232
10-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the NFA world!

Yes, the Glock requires a Nielsen device, also called a booster. It helps the handgun function with additional weight of the silencer. Most, if not all, handgun silencers come with one. Fixed barreled handguns such as a Beretta 92, don’t require a booster but use a fixed barrel adapter.

Ablatives are messy. They do add a little more sound reduction and it doesn’t hurt to try.

For 9mm, I’m really impressed with AAC’s TiRant 9M. In the short configuration it weighs less than 8 ounces.

Thanks.
What puts the TiRant over the Omega 9K? I have 2 .22 cans in jail now, so that is covered. I’m mostly a pistol shooter, but the Omega is rated for 300BO. I could add an upper to my AR and use the Omega. Not sure how important it is to be able to break
down a can with centerfire ammo.

Hansohn Brothers
10-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks.
What puts the TiRant over the Omega 9K? I have 2 .22 cans in jail now, so that is covered. I’m mostly a pistol shooter, but the Omega is rated for 300BO. I could add an upper to my AR and use the Omega. Not sure how important it is to be able to break
down a can with centerfire ammo.

For me, the Omega 9K is best on a 9mm subgun or PCC. It is rated for 300 BLK but it doesn’t excel with that cartridge. I like the smaller diameter of the TiRant 9M and the modularity. The AAC is a better value in that it comes with both 1/2x28 and M13.5L pistons. The Omega 9K doesn’t come with any pistons. And the TiRant 9M costs about $150 less than the Omega 9K.

md8232
10-04-2017, 09:30 AM
For me, the Omega 9K is best on a 9mm subgun or PCC. It is rated for 300 BLK but it doesn’t excel with that cartridge. I like the smaller diameter of the TiRant 9M and the modularity. The AAC is a better value in that it comes with both 1/2x28 and M13.5L pistons. The Omega 9K doesn’t come with any pistons. And the TiRant 9M costs about $150 less than the Omega 9K.
OK, this helps.
Can I get by without Suppressor sights using the TiRant?
What is a PCC?
Less money I understand too!
Is a piston the same thing as a Nielsen device?

Wake27
10-04-2017, 09:34 AM
OK, this helps.
What is a PCC?

Pistol caliber carbine, like the Scorpion Evo or a 9mm AR, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hansohn Brothers
10-04-2017, 11:50 AM
OK, this helps.
What is a PCC?

A piston is part of the Nielsen assembly. Other components are usually a spring and a housing.

Hansohn Brothers
10-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Here’s a Gen 5 G19 with the TiRant 9M in its short configuration.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171006/63c8eddc2264720e948c6d9a71a921d4.jpg

ASH556
10-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Not trying to take business from anyone, but I have an AAC Evo 9 that I've had for 13 years now. I don't even have a threaded pistol barrel right now. Sean's right, suppressed pistols are just not that useful or really even fun (except in .22). My Evo is relegated to subsonic 300 BLK duty on an AAC/NEF Handi single shot.

SeriousStudent
10-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Which is exactly why both my 9mm cans are going on a pair of 9mm SBR's. To have fun shooting steel plates at the range with the kids, and the occasional wascally wabbit.

RevolverRob
10-09-2017, 10:15 PM
This is the best reason to have a dedicated "can gun". I like running cans on pistols, for general shooting, because it's more comfortable to the ears and I can run more comfortable plugs without an issue. But mounting and remounting a can to a gun is...time wasted. If it's not a "stick it in the range bag and go" kind of setup, I'm liable to just leave it at home. Just dedicate a gun to it and be done. A dedicated suppressed handgun and a dedicated suppressed rifle are pretty nice things to have handy.

The other thing that is a real pain in the ass is carrying a suppressed pistol. If anyone is running a Glock, the Crye Precision Gun Clip is a well thought out piece of kit. But if you're not running a Glock, you'll need some kind of custom setup or one of those weird race-holster looking things from Safariland.

ASH556
10-10-2017, 08:00 AM
This is the best reason to have a dedicated "can gun". I like running cans on pistols, for general shooting, because it's more comfortable to the ears and I can run more comfortable plugs without an issue. But mounting and remounting a can to a gun is...time wasted. If it's not a "stick it in the range bag and go" kind of setup, I'm liable to just leave it at home. Just dedicate a gun to it and be done. A dedicated suppressed handgun and a dedicated suppressed rifle are pretty nice things to have handy.

The other thing that is a real pain in the ass is carrying a suppressed pistol. If anyone is running a Glock, the Crye Precision Gun Clip is a well thought out piece of kit. But if you're not running a Glock, you'll need some kind of custom setup or one of those weird race-holster looking things from Safariland.

I've found the drawstroke to also be an issue with a suppressed handgun. From a belt holster you have to come so high to clear the can. I understand the Crye Clip mitigates this with its twist lock action, but if I recall correctly, it won't work with a light, or at least not with a DG switch.

RevolverRob
10-10-2017, 11:52 AM
I've found the drawstroke to also be an issue with a suppressed handgun. From a belt holster you have to come so high to clear the can. I understand the Crye Clip mitigates this with its twist lock action, but if I recall correctly, it won't work with a light, or at least not with a DG switch.

It definitely doesn't work with a DG switch, because it applies pressure to the trigger guard and the DG switch interferes with that. I know it works with the APL and the TLR-1 for sure, don't see why it wouldn't work with a Surefire.

Wake27
10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
It definitely doesn't work with a DG switch, because it applies pressure to the trigger guard and the DG switch interferes with that. I know it works with the APL and the TLR-1 for sure, don't see why it wouldn't work with a Surefire.

It works with surefire as well. That draw and reholster really takes some getting used to though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk