PDA

View Full Version : Takedown guns.

Tamara
01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Why does nobody make takedown slide-action shotguns anymore? When I went down to Tennessee this last time, space was at a premium in the trunk, and I discovered that my 18" Remington Model 10 fit neatly in my range bag when broken down.

I mean, in the AR market, there's things like the MGI QCB upper (the one below fit in a laptop case as an experiment,) and guys in bear country can get takedown big bore leverguns, and the Marlin Papoose takes up hardly any room in my trunk in that little pouch, so why does nobody make a modern teardown pump scattergun?

mnealtx
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Wouldn't a shortbarrel semi be a better candidate than a pump, what having to work around the action bars?

LittleLebowski
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
SCAR SBR?

secondstoryguy
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
A short barreled SBR registered AR platform fits well in a small bag/backpack. Don't know why you'd want a shotty over an AR but I guess some people are handicapped by idiotic state laws. As far as modern, full sized, takedown pump guns go the only thing I've ever seen is a prototype 870 made by a buddy of mine. It would fit in a briefcase and you could put it together pretty fast. It used a modified wooden stock with a hole machined in it and a handmade knurled knob that allowed you to spin the stock mounting screw off/on.

When I think of takedown pump guns I think of Bullit with Steve McQueen. They used an 1897 Win Takedown in that movie. Winchester also made Model 12 takedowns. In a pinch you could probably find one of those, have the thing parkerized and some rifle sights sweated on, then find something it fits in.

SLG
01-14-2012, 10:03 PM
I've always found that an 870 or a Benelli with the barrel taken off is pretty compact, but I'm guessing you knew that. How small do you want it to be? Maybe an NEF?

orionz06
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I would vote SCAR SBR as well, my 11.5" is nice and tiny but a SCAR just folds up so neatly.

Tamara
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I've always found that an 870 or a Benelli with the barrel taken off is pretty compact, but I'm guessing you knew that. How small do you want it to be? Maybe an NEF?

The problem with most of your modern shotguns is that when you detach the barrel, the mag tube stays with the receiver. Obviously this is a bonus for people who want to switch barrels between their quail gun and their flat-black people-popper, but it's a downcheck when you want a compact takedown shottie. :(

A Remington Model 10 (or Winnie 97 or 12) pulls apart into two ~19" chunks so quickly that it spoils you...

Tamara
01-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I would vote SCAR SBR as well, my 11.5" is nice and tiny but a SCAR just folds up so neatly.

Re: SBR carbines...

An SBR AR or SCAR is sweet, don't get me wrong, but note that in the pic of the MGI QCB above, the longest piece is the 16" barrel. No stocked AR SBR sports an OAL that short.

orionz06
01-15-2012, 12:05 AM
What about the LMT MRP? I am unsure how they break down.

Jay Cunningham
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
AKS-74U "Krinkov"

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as03/aks74u.jpg

:p

willypete
01-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Probably due to lack of perceived need/desire/profit. Seems like a takedown receiver would require extra steps in machining and fitting.

I've noticed that the magazine tube on my Mossberg 500 unscrews with a couple of twists, reducing the gun to barrel, mag tube, forearm, receiver/buttstock. That might be convenient for storage, but not for fast reassembly. Takes at least a minute to put back together.

WDW
01-16-2012, 05:13 PM
If you want a classis take down pump gun, get a Stevens 520. You can usually find them at gun shows for under $300. They are dead nuts reliable and made of solid steel and walnut. Not a single plastic part. They are 100% Browning designed and are a true classic gun.

WDW
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I just picked up a nice Remington Model 10 today. It's one of those 100yr old guns that sat in some old timer's closet for those 100yrs. I cannot believe the condition it's in.

Tamara
02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I just picked up a nice Remington Model 10 today. It's one of those 100yr old guns that sat in some old timer's closet for those 100yrs. I cannot believe the condition it's in.
*jealous*

Mine was barely over a hundred bucks and looks it. :o

On the other hand, it's an even gray patina with no pitting, and there's no rifling to be worn out... :D

LHS
02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Saiga12/SaigaTechUSA-S12Krink.jpg

Saiga 12 Krink :)

HeadHunter
02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Until I had to give up shotguns, the Model 12 was one of my favorites. Like you say, it broke down into a package that easily fit in my suitcase so I didn't have to carry around a tennis racket bag when traveling.

Tamara
02-17-2012, 10:03 PM
LHS,

With all due respect, these stubby pistol-barreled SBR/SBS's aren't the same thing. I mean, they're cool and all, but there's just not the same hip and happenin' Man From U.N.C.L.E. vibe from snapping the gun together. :p

Tamara
02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Until I had to give up shotguns, the Model 12 was one of my favorites. Like you say, it broke down into a package that easily fit in my suitcase so I didn't have to carry around a tennis racket bag when traveling.
I'm sayin'!

On my last trip to TN, one less bag meant only one trip from the car to the motel room, and I still had a gauge when I got there. :cool:

(Plus, you know, the whole Man From U.N.C.L.E. thing when I put it together while checking my email in the room... :o )

LHS
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
LHS,

With all due respect, these stubby pistol-barreled SBR/SBS's aren't the same thing. I mean, they're cool and all, but there's just not the same hip and happenin' Man From U.N.C.L.E. vibe from snapping the gun together. :p

Fair enough :) I can dig it.

UNK
02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
If you want a classis take down pump gun, get a Stevens 520. You can usually find them at gun shows for under $300. They are dead nuts reliable and made of solid steel and walnut. Not a single plastic part. They are 100% Browning designed and are a true classic gun.

I did not write this I just copied it

have done a fair amount of 'smithing on these old relics from the past, and the mechanical limitations are more apparent these days with the universal (almost) application of a trigger disconnector for pump actions that work when opening the gun after closing on a fired shell.

The action on the 520/620 is not truly disconnected and can drop the hammer if the gun is closed and then released with the button and slightly opened, but an absentminded pull of the trigger at that moment may give you an unpleasant sensation when the bolt blows open or the locking block damages the rear of the square locking recess cut through the top of the frame. All that is necessary for this to happen is a peened firing pin stop surface that no longer sufficiently blocks the firing pin travel through the bolt face when the locking block starts to descend during that initial motion of the referenced pump withdrawal motion.

Please remain aware of this design quirk and never open the gun slightly: if it needs opening, open a substantial amount to allow re-catch of the hammer hooking lug with the action slide lock before closing again. Some guns have wear that may allow hammer fall at any time the trigger is pulled whenever the pump is moved forward enough to rest the hammer on the sear, and the fact that a gun may be capable of slam-fire or can drop the hammer before closing fully should hopefully disuade any shooter from trying a foolhardy venture of trying to do the streetsweeper routine that may work safely with a Winchester Model 12, for instance. These designs don't have the same precision of activation of hammer release from the slide lock that is necessary for such dangerous play.

Anyone contemplating use of one of these should check the action operation with an empty gun first, and see if the hammer will drop when the trigger is pulled while the bolt is still partially open. If you get a "clikk" then, you have a tiger by the tail: make sure you don't get chomped.
These guns are too cheap to allow one to be responsible for an accidental discharge. Be safe, not ...

secondstoryguy
02-18-2012, 12:13 AM
US Palm supposedly has something takedown in the works:
http://youtu.be/DO5pDw_Tv_c

LHS
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
US Palm supposedly has something takedown in the works:
http://youtu.be/DO5pDw_Tv_c

I saw that a while back. Seems like an interesting way to introduce some modularity to the AK platform. With gas-tube-mounted optics, retaining zero wouldn't be an issue. Could be a neat way to have a 5.56mm 16" gun and a .300 BLK 8" gun on the same receiver.

Chuck Haggard
02-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Skip to about 5:50 if you are in a hurry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PDYOvEalA&feature=related

secondstoryguy
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I think that's a Marlin. Wild West guns does this one in 45-70. http://wildwestguns.com/images/bigcopilotred1.jpg

Chuck Haggard
07-07-2012, 01:38 AM
This is new;

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=534191

Blurb;

The Winchester® Model 94® is popular throughout the world, and today’s production utilizes the latest manufacturing technology to bring you some of the most accurate models ever produced. John M. Browning’s original takedown design in the new Trails End Takedown rifle comes apart quickly for easy transporting just about anywhere. The versatile Model 94 is perfect for hunting in thick brush for hogs and other fast-moving game

Tamara
07-07-2012, 06:07 AM
This is new...

Oh, do want.

In .450 Marlin, please, and then I'll take it to CCA and have them whack 4" off the barrel... Mm-mm.

You know who designed the Winchester 94? That's right. :cool:

BLR
07-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I always thought a custom scattergun built on a "worthless" 30" full choke M12 would be pretty cool. Especially considering that Winchesters of that era didn't require you to reset the trigger, just keep shucking shells in.

Do it right, and it could be broken down as described.

Kinda like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=293265211

Al T.
07-07-2012, 08:16 AM
CCA and have them whack 4" off the barrel

Get them to apply an aftermarket finish and you will have re-created Rich's .45-70 we shot. :cool:

Chuck Haggard
07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Oh, do want.

In .450 Marlin, please, and then I'll take it to CCA and have them whack 4" off the barrel... Mm-mm.

You know who designed the Winchester 94? That's right. :cool:

I'd like the 30-30, but now I'm behind the power cruve since I didn't have a 30-30 and just sold my ammo stash of that caliber off to a bud at work.

See, if I still had the ammo, which was of copious quantities, I'd have an awesome excuse to buy the gun. Now all I have is "Me do want too".

JSGlock34
07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
If you need a takedown sniper rifle for your next La Femme Nikita assignment in Venice, it looks like LaRue has the answer...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/LaRueSuitcaseRifle.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I9lLwIdmGs

Tamara
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Get them to apply an aftermarket finish and you will have re-created Rich's .45-70 we shot. :cool:

True Story:

So it's Thanksgiving-ish of '01. A bunch of friends, including Al T. and myself, are getting together at Rich Lucibella's Fortress of Solitude to do a bunch of shooting and consume mass quantities of dead animals.

At some point during the festivities, Rich has encouraged me to park my car in the garage, what with the sky occasionally raining water and bullet fragments.

So, there're three of us in the garage: Al T. and Rich, who have both gone and shot great big scary critters in Africa at Jesus-I'm-About-To-Get-Trampled range, and me, who has actually shot some faintly menacing-looking paper targets.

Rich is explaining the details of his Ashley Emerson custom takedown .45-70 to Al T.

Just as Rich is explaining the neatest detail of his takedown Marlins, the thing that separates them from the more famous Co-Pilots, I turn around with the front half of the gun in my hand and say "What does this button do?" as a stream of couple-dollar-a-pop .45-70 cartridges neatly fountains from the mag tube and makes a rainbow arc across the garage before rolling under every workbench and car in sight.

And that was one of my most humiliating firearms-related moments... :o

Chuck Haggard
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Tam, I think somebody has been reading your e-mails.

Scroll down here for story;

http://www.shootingwire.com/

Check this out;
http://www.drdtactical.com/rifles.html

mrozowjj
08-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I just made the mistake of watching a video of someone disassembling the Remington Model 10. Why the hell aren't all shotguns that easy? I mean seriously that's awesomesauce. And I thought the Winchester 140 my uncle left me was nice.