PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42/43 thoughts

GJM
09-27-2017, 10:38 PM
I absolutely understand and respect the Glock 42 and 43, but I just didn't love them. A few recent developments have changed that some.

Especially the 42, and even the 43, I feel like they are small enough that my hands are never sure where to go. That effects my ability to draw quickly, and shoot fast. The 43 also feels a bit squirmy shooting 124+P Gold Dot. Recently, I have experimented with putting my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, which opens the grip up so I now get a very "normal" feeling grip. That has vastly improved both the strength of my grip and my ability to acquire the grip quickly.

The second development is time shooting the 43 with a Crimson Trace LG-443G green, trigger guard laser. At reasonable distances in bright sun, and much further in dim light, the laser effectively turns the 43 into a red dot pistol, in terms of my ability to hammer fast splits on two inch dots, a one inch square, and the 3x5. Besides speed, the laser also is giving me red dot type trigger feedback throughout the press. Tony at JM made me an appendix holster for it, that adds very little bulk. I highly recommended this laser on the 42/43.

Duelist
09-27-2017, 11:21 PM
My wife has little hands: she can't reach the trigger on a G26 when centered properly in the web of her hand. G43 is too much power in the narrow grip (for her). G42 is her Goldilocks gun: she can hold it right, reach the trigger properly, and shoots it better than anything center-fire she's ever tried.

For me, the fit is small and squirrelly, but it's accurate and shootable.

Arbninftry
09-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Everything is a tool. Sometimes you just need something very small. My opinion, you have to do what you can to be comfortable. GJM you are an experienced shooter, 9 times out of 10, a good experienced shooter can pick up a turd and make it useful. It is a decently manufactured pistol. Run with it and make the best of it when you have to.
Otherwise, go back to what you know, and avoid those fancy shindigs that make you go covert+. Avoid non-permissive environments. Also, lasers make everything better. Run it hard, or leave it at home.

scjbash
09-28-2017, 12:17 AM
Tony made me an appendix holster with an ulti clip for my G42. It's my gun for when I'd otherwise maybe not have one. It's so light and the ulti clip grips so well that it works great with gym shorts and the like.

EricM
09-28-2017, 12:34 AM
Very interesting! I really liked the LaserGuard concept, tried a LG-452 some time ago on a 17 but I had such difficulty activating the laser consistently that I gave up on it. From your pic, it appears they've changed the location of the button significantly on this new model, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I bought a 42 primarily as a competition gun...Pocket division of GSSF. ;) I had a similar experience in that it was so small I could not get a good grip on it, it was like I couldn't close my fingers tight enough to stop it from shifting around even with what little recoil it had. I put on rubber Talons, they only helped a little. As a last resort I tried a Hogue sleeve and it totally transformed the gun, it's a joy to shoot now. It adds some width but more importantly it's like putting on a large backstrap. Hogue sleeves always seemed like a bad idea but I've not had any problems so far in terms of pure shooting; I have not gotten around to evaluating its impact on carrying/drawing the gun. Got JM and Aholster pocket holsters sitting around here that I haven't even tried yet.

Gun Mutt
09-28-2017, 09:57 AM
My wife loves her 42 & I'm pretty happy with the playing card size mag dump she can do at 7yds. It shoots ridiculously well, but it's too small for my L/XL hands to manipulate at speed. (Though if it were my only pistol, I'd no doubt find a way to make it work. Luckily, 'Murica!)

I generally carry a 19 when I'm not at work and a 43 when I am. Few days ago, I picked up a JM with extra length, wing claw & foam wedge from a member here and I've worn it every waking moment since. I now wish I'd ordered the claw and wedge when I bought JM gear for my 19. Absolutely the most comfortable set up I've ever worn, 43 is so light and slim that using a Pearce +1 mag it's flat out invisible under even my tightest shirts.

SamAdams
09-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Recently, I have experimented with putting my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, which opens the grip up so I now get a very "normal" feeling grip. That has vastly improved both the strength of my grip and my ability to acquire the grip quickly.

Interesting you should mention that grip. I have an older USP45 Compact V1. Stock trigger is quite heavy. I wasn't able to shoot that pistol well until I used that same grip you mentioned above. Made all the difference in the world, to the degree that I never bothered changing the trigger.

willie
09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
I have the 9mm and 45 S&W Shield. Both fulfill the small pistol niche for me. I plan to buy a Model 43 to satisfy my curiosity. My question is does the 43 provide an edge or advantage over the Shield. At this stage in the game, for me is question is academic.

APS-PF
09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Do you find that the laser is torqued out of line after a while? I had this issue on an LCP due to the activation button just being a little nub not attached firmly to the front of the grip. Zero would only hold for a couple of magazines. This put me off of the Laserguard series.

JHC
09-28-2017, 11:23 AM
I absolutely understand and respect the Glock 42 and 43, but I just didn't love them. A few recent developments have changed that some.

Especially the 42, and even the 43, I feel like they are small enough that my hands are never sure where to go. That effects my ability to draw quickly, and shoot fast. The 43 also feels a bit squirmy shooting 124+P Gold Dot. Recently, I have experimented with putting my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, which opens the grip up so I now get a very "normal" feeling grip. That has vastly improved both the strength of my grip and my ability to acquire the grip quickly.

The second development is time shooting the 43 with a Crimson Trace LG-443G green, trigger guard laser. At reasonable distances in bright sun, and much further in dim light, the laser effectively turns the 43 into a red dot pistol, in terms of my ability to hammer fast splits on two inch dots, a one inch square, and the 3x5. Besides speed, the laser also is giving me red dot type trigger feedback throughout the press. Tony at JM made me an appendix holster for it, that adds very little bulk. I highly recommended this laser on the 42/43.

Regarding the placement of the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard - do you similarly place it on the front of the laser unit?

GJM
09-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Regarding the placement of the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard - do you similarly place it on the front of the laser unit?

Didn't feel as necessary with the extra surface area of the laser.

JHC
09-28-2017, 11:27 AM
I have considerable challenge shooting the 42 straight for the - so much hands, so little grip reason. I find this less of a problem on the 43.

One day out with one of my daughter in laws shooting - we both seemed to shoot a little more accurately SHO, even at some speed. I've been meaning to repeat that exercise with more structure and measurements taken to see if there is anything to that. If there was any reality to it, I was supposing it was the so much hands exerting so much pressure on such a small light gun was becoming counterproductive.

edit to add: I realize fully that this should not be a reality and probably would not if I shot the 43 frequently. It's picking it up on occasion, from 9mm and .40 standard frame, 1911 .45 etc.

Magsz
09-28-2017, 12:01 PM
The thing about the 42 is that there is so little recoil that I find i am able to perform at a VERY high "speed" standard with even one hand.

Shooting it two hands proves rather difficult so ive basically resigned myself to it being a one handed blaster. Im honestly OK with this.

Totem Polar
09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
^^^I dunno... I've ended up going retroactive, and favoring the 42 for what it is over the 43 and selling my 43s off. If I had only one Glock, I could see the 43 being a contender, but with both a 42 and 26 in the stable to split around the single stack 9, it seemed a hair redundant for my very basic needs. OMMV on that for sure.

Magsz
09-28-2017, 03:33 PM
^^^I dunno... I've ended up going retroactive, and favoring the 42 for what it is over the 43 and selling my 43s off. If I had only one Glock, I could see the 43 being a contender, but with both a 42 and 26 in the stable to split around the single stack 9, it seemed a hair redundant for my very basic needs. OMMV on that for sure.

I never even considered a 43. I find it to be a snappy bitch that I simply dont want to train with, at all.

The 42 is a pure pleasure and actually quite fun to shoot as it feels like a BB gun. Do I wish I had a 9mm as my off duty gun? Sometimes, but im really OK with a .380 and a reload, especially considering how many dirtballs ive seen dead from .380 gunshot wounds...

GJM
09-28-2017, 03:36 PM
The thing about the 42 is that there is so little recoil that I find i am able to perform at a VERY high "speed" standard with even one hand.

Shooting it two hands proves rather difficult so ive basically resigned myself to it being a one handed blaster. Im honestly OK with this.

Maybe try the support index finger on the front of the trigger guard. I wear XL gloves, and that allows me a strong two hand grip on the 42.

Magsz
09-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Maybe try the support index finger on the front of the trigger guard. I wear XL gloves, and that allows me a strong two hand grip on the 42.

I dont have large hands. I wear a large Glove but I have very short fingers. Its not the overall length or height of the gun that is the problem, its the width. Due to how slim the gun is, it does not sit straight in my hand at all when I try and put two hands on the gun and use a conventional grip. With one hand, the gun points naturally and nestles in my hand quite well.

Its really a non issue to me given how well the I shoot the gun one handed. Im also not interested in training a secondary grip technique for a singular gun.

Jaywalker
09-28-2017, 04:29 PM
I dont have large hands. I wear a large Glove but I have very short fingers. Its not the overall length or height of the gun that is the problem, its the width. Due to how slim the gun is, it does not sit straight in my hand at all when I try and put two hands on the gun and use a conventional grip. With one hand, the gun points naturally and nestles in my hand quite well.

Its really a non issue to me given how well the I shoot the gun one handed. Im also not interested in training a secondary grip technique for a singular gun.

Mine shoots well, bone stock with a six-pound trigger. I have medium-large hands with maybe-not short fingers, but muscular ones that help me not reach the G19 trigger with anything left over, so I'm pressing from the side. The G43 shoots better for me than the G19 so I sold the G19 this week.

There isn't much grip space for the support hand, true. I've tried the support index finger on the trigger guard but am also concerned about adding a grip variation, and so haven't spent much time on it. What has worked is a little fore-and-aft pressure with each hand, main hand forward, support hand rearward; I recall now being taught that but I've abandoned it over the years. It does settle the sights down significantly and can be adopted with all my handguns, two-handed.

Gun Mutt
09-29-2017, 07:43 AM
^^^I dunno... I've ended up going retroactive, and favoring the 42 for what it is over the 43 and selling my 43s off.
Well, I'm sure glad you did...thanks again for the holster!

LSP552
09-29-2017, 07:53 AM
.....favoring the 42 for what it is over the 43 and selling my 43s off.

Same here. I love the 42 for a pocket and lounge around gun. Even with XL hands, the lack of recoil offsets the small grip area for me, and I shoot it well. I absolutely hated my 43 for the small, obnoxious bastard it is.

GJM
09-29-2017, 08:06 AM
What this thread needs is some video of people running their 42/42 pistols!

JHC
09-29-2017, 08:12 AM
What this thread needs is some video of people running their 42/42 pistols!

Here are two F2S drills run with a G43 recently. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/36148057860/in/dateposted-public/

And a rack of plates at 25 yards with the 43. Took 14 seconds and change. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/29518401273/in/dateposted-public/

Same plates at 12 yards. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/29518616074/in/dateposted-public/

Trukinjp13
09-29-2017, 08:39 AM
I have the 9mm and 45 S&W Shield. Both fulfill the small pistol niche for me. I plan to buy a Model 43 to satisfy my curiosity. My question is does the 43 provide an edge or advantage over the Shield. At this stage in the game, for me is question is academic.

I have had both the shield and the g43.

G43-better trigger, lighter, smaller(not a lot but enough to help with ankle/pocket) more accessories, better accuracy (personal most likely)

Shield-one more round in standard cap mag. Also comes with 8 rnder,softer shooting, shoots more like a bigger gun.

If I had to do it over again. I would probably not have bought the g43 over the shield. If I was walking into a store and owned neither I would buy the g43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie
09-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Trunkinjp, thank you for sharing your perception. My Shields have the thumb safety option which I prefer. I'm comfortable with thumb safeties and like the idea of extra protection for the family jewels(now costume jewelry)when shoving a loaded pistol in that region.

psalms144.1
09-29-2017, 09:27 AM
Here are two F2S drills run with a G43 recently.Great shooting, brother. We don't need no STEENKING LASERS!

Trukinjp13
09-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Trunkinjp, thank you for sharing your perception. My Shields have the thumb safety option which I prefer. I'm comfortable with thumb safeties and like the idea of extra protection for the family jewels(now costume jewelry)when shoving a loaded pistol in that region.

You are good to go then! I wish apex or someone made a oversized thumb safety for it. Mine was also a thumb safety model. Not like a giant 1911 one but just a little larger ledge.

Totem Polar
09-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Here are two F2S drills run with a G43 recently. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/36148057860/in/dateposted-public/

And a rack of plates at 25 yards with the 43. Took 14 seconds and change. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/29518401273/in/dateposted-public/

Same plates at 12 yards. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/29518616074/in/dateposted-public/

Nice work!

STI
09-29-2017, 11:58 AM
I'll be honest, our other Lehigh copper bullet thread has me very excited because I think the 42 is a much better match of recoil vs. weight than the 43 is, and (if you're willing to give up on expansion) the Lehigh bullets would give passable penetration in 380, making it a sensible wifey carry option.

GJM
09-29-2017, 12:14 PM

the sixth bad guy would have got you

JHC
09-29-2017, 12:46 PM
the sixth bad guy would have got you

If I lived I would have to buy lunch. (failing to have my weapon prepped for the course of fire)

cmbarny2
09-29-2017, 03:49 PM
I love my 43 in terms of concealability because I'm a skinny person and hiding a 19 under summer clothes is downright difficult sometimes for me. The 43 I can make just disappear. I just don't shoot it as well as a regular sized gun at all. I'm accurate enough to be comfortable carrying it, but split times are just downright not where I would like them at all. The gun just squirms in my hand with defensive ammo. Its much easier with vickers extensions added to the mags but at that point I'm getting back to the 19 size so I just recently put the pinky extension that came with the gun back onto a magazine and I've been using that as the mag in the gun with the vickers as my reload. I have to say just getting my pinky on the gun makes a lot of difference but I'm also about to order some talon grips to see if that will fully solve it for me. I've almost considered going to a Commander sized 1911 if I can't make this work for me.

Trukinjp13
09-29-2017, 05:18 PM
I love my 43 in terms of concealability because I'm a skinny person and hiding a 19 under summer clothes is downright difficult sometimes for me. The 43 I can make just disappear. I just don't shoot it as well as a regular sized gun at all. I'm accurate enough to be comfortable carrying it, but split times are just downright not where I would like them at all. The gun just squirms in my hand with defensive ammo. Its much easier with vickers extensions added to the mags but at that point I'm getting back to the 19 size so I just recently put the pinky extension that came with the gun back onto a magazine and I've been using that as the mag in the gun with the vickers as my reload. I have to say just getting my pinky on the gun makes a lot of difference but I'm also about to order some talon grips to see if that will fully solve it for me. I've almost considered going to a Commander sized 1911 if I can't make this work for me.

I ran talons on mine. Made a difference for me. Even with 147 grn hst

JHC
09-29-2017, 05:36 PM
I ran talons on mine. Made a difference for me. Even with 147 grn hst

Talons for me too. My first exposure to them. On HCM's endorsement back in the 1st 43 thread. He was not wrong.

Cool Breeze
09-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Shield vs. G43 was my dilemma. I usually carried a g19 or 26 but when faced with carrying all day with no breaks (and literally going all over town with little sit down time) the weight started to bother me for aiwb carry.

I decided to go single stack 9. I chose the G43 because on paper it is not only lighter but smaller. I liked how it had only 6 rounds, because if I needed a smaller gun, at least I had one and if I wanted 8 rounds I had that too. Not so with the shield.

Unfortunately, I found the 43 awful to shoot. I failed to get a full left hand to control recoil and the gun was flipping so much that the bottom inside of the trigger guard was ramming my trigger finger during recoil. I tried traction grips (similar to talon but I found stick better) and that helped a little. I just got a Hogue grip and put it on a couple days ago. I can't wait to go shooting with it as it seems to increase the length of trigger reach allowing my left hand to get on the gun with the addition of the grippier texture. Hopefully this works at not too much an expense to concealment.

I actually loved shooting the shield and couldn't believe that such a small gun could shoot so well. The trigger reach is considerably longer allowing me to get a better two-handed grip. I wish it had the same barrel length as the 43 and wish it wasn't so complicated to detail strip. There is something about the ease of taking apart only 20 some pieces to clean a gun that appeals to me. I'm also not sure if the increase in weight will make a practical difference in actual carry.

The verdict is still out for me as to shield or g43

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wonder9
09-29-2017, 11:47 PM
I prefer the G43 over the Shield on everything except recoil.

spyderco monkey
09-30-2017, 12:15 AM
So far I'm really enjoying my G43 - it has the best factory trigger of my gaggle of Glocks. A firm wall and then a pretty crisp, "snappy" break for lack of a better term. Feels like snapping a dry pretzel stick. Accuracy is pretty comparable to my larger Glocks at 7 yards, although not quite as easy for me to shoot out at 15-25.

I really like how thin the grip is - it points naturally and allows me to get a really firm grip on the pistol. Not surprising, as the wider a grip is, the more fatiguing it is to exert force. Pretty much the raison d'etre of Fat Gripz for weight lifting.

But, I'm really hoping that either the G44 or G45 models (implied by the new G46) are a larger single stack. Since I carry mine IWB, there really is no benefit to such a short barrel, and since I always carry with a 7rd or 8rd magazine, it would be nice to have a fuller grip for reloads. A longer barrel and slide, combined with a fuller grip, would make for the ideal single stack carry gun for me.

My ideal G44 would be similar to the Kahr TP9 "Covert" they used to offer - 4" barrel, with 7rd flush fit magazine, making the pistol 4.5" tall (1/2" shorter then a G19, but enough to get the pinky on the grip.)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lVnEh-4bDhQ/TgNPjToyMvI/AAAAAAAAADI/OL7qLk62m5w/s400/TP9-NOVAK.png

However I would be delighted with a Single Stack 19, with a 4" barrel and 8rd flush fit mag as well.

Norville
09-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Like many, I find the 43 fills the deep concealment niche better than any other Glock. I shoot it OK, not as well as my 26 as the distance gets past 10-12 yards but well enough to feel more confident than a J Frame. Standard pressure 147 HST is quite controllable.

I stippled the front strap, which helped with the squirming and did not affect concealment or comfort like stippling or grip tape against bare skin.

Not an all a rounder, but for NPE or summer casual wear it works for me. The green laser is intriguing...

M2CattleCo
09-30-2017, 03:14 PM
However I would be delighted with a Single Stack 19, with a 4" barrel and 8rd flush fit mag as well.

I've been wanting a single stack 19 and 34 sized Glock forever. It would be glorious.

spyderco monkey
09-30-2017, 05:14 PM
I've been wanting a single stack 19 and 34 sized Glock forever. It would be glorious.

I didn't even realize I wanted a single stack 34 - but I do now. :cool:

Hopefully we'll see a whole family of them hatched.

GJM
09-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Why you guys want so few BB's in a full size gun?

spyderco monkey
09-30-2017, 06:23 PM

Saving money on ammo at the range ;-)

But seriously, I'm mostly after full size ballistics and sight radius that a 4-5" barrel would offer, while maintaining the thiness and short grip of a 7-8rd single stack. In a close fitting T-shirt, my 43 doesn't print, but a g26 does, so that makes it single stack summers for me.

Most duty ammo is optimized for 4-4.5" barrels, so if I only have 7+1 rounds, I'd like them to be moving at full speed.

If they made one, I'd likely buy a single stack G34, but then grip chop it to a 7rd magazine length as my EDC summer crotch rocket.

But then again, I was one of the few people excited for the 5" Kahr TP9 Gen 2 (now sadly cancelled.) And I have fantasies about a 5", 7+1 9x23 Winchester polymer pistol (with 7.62x25 conversion barrel) so I guess I'm just a weirdo in that regard.

Totem Polar
09-30-2017, 07:00 PM
I hear you. 6+1, aside from NPE/backup, is a bit of a hard sell, but for some reason 7+1 or 8+1 crosses my personal comfort line into the green zone. And another inch? Give me a 43L, with 7+1 and another inch going about 21 oz unloaded, and I could get behind that.

JBP55
09-30-2017, 08:07 PM

What he said.

Xrslug
09-30-2017, 08:20 PM

Living in a restricted state. It's not a question of want.

Seth_yg
10-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Hey guys, I’m a new member to the forum but have been reading it for over a year now. I’ve learned a lot from some of the forum’s elder statesmen and I appreciate very much the information available here. I got into guns after a dear friend of mine was killed in a random home invasion about 1.5 miles from my house in a very affluent suburban neighborhood. Been a CCW holder in my state for about 2 years. Prior to getting my CCW, I didn’t own a pistol and hadn’t shot much of them. (Now I know what most of you are thinking: 1. what are you doing on here and 2. how could you possibly have anything worth contributing), Before you judge me at least give me a chance to explain why I like the g43.

In spring 2016, The g43 was my first handgun purchase. (I know it should have been a g19...let’s forego the chastisement for that..I bought a g19 a few months later) I am a small guy with small hands and short fingers, (I wear size small gloves) 148 lbs, 5’7”, so concealing a g19 or larger is difficult for me without a jacket or sweatshirt. That was part of the reason I originally bought the 43 first. I almost bought a Kahr CM9, but my brother who is a member of this forum (NerdAlert) strongly suggested a buy a glock. So I reluctantly took his advice and purchased the g43. All I knew at that time was “glocks were supposed to be good” “reliable” and “safe.” Those notions along with the size led me to my purchase. My dad had a g26 and my brother at the time was carrying a g17.

I bought the gun, with talo steel night sights, came with 1 flush mag and one pinkie mag. I quickly found out I liked the pinkie extension so I bought another pinkie ext mag. I proceeded to join a local range (which didn’t allow drawing from your holster or moving, and at the time I had no idea why that mattered) and began shooting the gun. I did not carry it right away as I was still so new to handguns. I took an NRA sponsored safety course at my local range. I kept shooting, I didn’t know what ammo to use, so I used whatever was cheap (usually Tula or winchester white box 115) that I could easily get at Walmart or other places while I was doing day to day things. I usually shot 50 - 100 rounds per session at 7 yards usually on pie plates or similar sized targets. I had no idea how to grip the gun or manage recoil and I was missing low left consistently and spraying the targets like every other right handed newbie glock shooter. The gun was snappy, but I didn’t have anything to compare it to yet, and I just thought all 9mm pistols probly were.

As the rounds began to stack up I began to learn how to shoot a little better, not much, but better in my eyes. I still couldn’t hit a target with it at 15 yards but I thought I’m good enough to carry this now. I bought a crappy leather holster and I started carrying small of back. My dad gave me an IWB kydex/leather paddle holster for his g26 that literally had no retention on the gun at all, sometimes I carried it with that. Thank god no one ever tried a gun grab on me with that. I took a 101 handgun course from a local yokel ex-marine instructor. Kept shooting. I had still no concept of drills or dry fire routines, but when I enjoyed shooting and went to the range at least twice a week. Eventually I bought a g19 and started shooting USPSA production at another local club. Since I was now an experienced CCW holder (haha...sense the irony), I dabbled with carrying them both. I still didn’t know how or where to carry for my body type and I was printing like crazy all the time even with both guns. I’m sure I flashed my g43 while bending over in public multiple times. (I know you’re still thinking why are you posting on this forum, hopefully you’ll read to the end)

My brother informed me of the 2,000 round challenge, and since I really didn’t know how to properly clean my gun, I figured “why not give this a try.” I started keeping track of the rounds I was firing. I began reading PF and talking to my brother daily about gun stuff and training. My g43 did eventually pass the 2,000 round challenge, I fired mostly federal 115 aluminum case (about 1500 rounds) Tula 115 (200 ish) and Winchester brass white box 115 (500). After I knew it was past the 2,000 round mark I started to learn more about ballistics and bullet weights. I purchased some federal 147 hst standard pressure, and some hornaday custom 147s. I fired 200 rounds thru the 43 of hst 147. I also had some federal 124 +p that my dad had given me when he sold his g26, I fired around 40 of those. I had 1 stove pipe in every mag with the +p stuff, and since have not ran any +p in it. The g43 received its first detail strip and cleaning around the 2500 round mark, and the only malfunctions it exhibited during those first 2500 rounds were 7 or 8 stovepipes with the 124 +p hst.

By this time I had been shooting USPSA production for a while and was starting to get into researching glock mods and longing to get out of production and a “more fun” division. I began a daily dry fire routine. I bought an appendix holster for my g19 similar to Spencer’s keeper, with a wedge and claw and when I carried the 19 that’s how I carried it. Shortly after that, I ordered a side car type appendix rig from tuctite for my 43 with an RCS claw. I was astounded at the fit and finish of the holster and began carrying it as often as I could. I carried the 43 more often as it was easier to conceal for me without buying a whole new wardrobe. I longed for a bit more grip length on the g43 as I wanted to be able to “pinch” it more effectively against the base of my strong hand. I was reading about and looking at stipple jobs, I really wanted to do it but I was afraid to mess up the frame beyond repair or have it look horrible. I bought a couple of Vickers +2 baseplates for it. Instantly fell I love with them as they gave me the little bit more leverage I wanted/needed. The extra rounds were a bonus. I eventually stippled one of the baseplates in a micro dot pattern and it turned out pretty good. I went out on a ledge and undercut the trigger guard and did the whole stipple job myself. I’ll post pics. After that, that little gun became my EDC. I now carry it with 17 rounds, 8 + 1 and 8 round reload. I kept one of the flush fit mags for NPE, and I have carried it multiple times in NPE, appendix and 430. I second other people’s opinions on this thread that it is the only gun I own (I own a few now) that I can truly make disappear.

I know you’re probly still thinking this guy doesn’t know enough to be posting on here. I hope I can qualify myself somewhat with these next few paragraphs.

I mentioned I longed to get out of production and into a more “fun” division of USPSA. After stippling my 43, I stippled my 19 as well. It didn’t stay production legal for long, as I had stippled the thumb rests ahead of the take down levers on my 43 and I really wanted to do the same on my 19. (It helped tremendously with the muzzle flipping on the 43) I did do the full double undercut on the 19 frame and stippled the thumb rest area a few weeks later and I was officially now a limited gunner. My 43 and 19 got a few upgrades, namely a Vickers slide release for both. I kept upgrading the 19 and eventually didn’t shoot the 43 as much but still carried it often as it was truly t-shirt concealable. I bought a freya magwell for my 19 and got the 2 pack of grip force adapters. I liked the smaller one (I had toyed on and off with the factory gen 4 beavertail backstraps of all sizes), the grip force adapter definitely helped with the presentation angle of the gun. I left my old range and joined a new one where I could draw from my holster and shoot steel all year round. I bought the overwatch precision DAT flat drop in trigger for my 19. I loved it. I polished all the trigger parts in both guns, but never upgraded any internals on the 43. By this time I had started buying a soft 147 reload from a friend with an FFL I met at a match for USPSA and practice. I was now shooting around 1200 to 1500 rounds a month. I started doing the gabe white drills. I bought a zev slide with RMR cut, and RMR06 and a zev dimpled threaded barrel and TBRC Mini comp. I kept my stock slide for my 19 but didn’t shoot it much anymore. I am now 15,000 rounds deep into my fauxland special and shooting open division from appendix. I’m currently a light pin in gabe white standards with my 2TTH in turbo pin at 1.80.
My other times for the drills are as follows from open carried non retention holster:

FTS - 1.86
TFTS - 2.84
Bill drill - 2.36

Those are the times with my fauxland special. I know some of you will say it’s cheating, but my eyes arent the best and I really have enjoyed shooting a lot more since I put the RMR on. I think I eventually will get a shield RMS or similar and mill the 43 for it.

I’ll post some video of me shooting some of the gabe white drills with the 43 soon.

So I posted this big long post to say this: the 43 is a special gun for me. My finger falls on the trigger in a different spot than full size glocks which allows me to manipulate the trigger well. I like the smaller width because I have small hands and short fingers. It has a deeper beavertail without adding any after market or factory beavertails. The gun points well for me. It fits a role no other gun I have can fit. That role is the gun that disappears. No I haven’t been carrying for 25 years, I don’t have law enforcement experience, I’m not GM USPSA shooter. But I do carry it every day, and if you’re looking for a reliable concealable option that’s comfortable and small, I think the 43 is the best thing out there. I guess that’s my .02$, take it for what it’s worth. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/3c14e0bad6b4343c5b9503e99beeb46c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/9d04cc9446b073a2433db237f8be520e.jpg[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/3c14e0bad6b4343c5b9503e99beeb46c.jpg

Velo Dog
10-01-2017, 01:55 PM
The g43 received its first detail strip and cleaning around the 2500 round mark, and the only malfunctions it exhibited during those first 2500 rounds were 7 or 8 stovepipes with the 124 +p hst.

Were you using the +2 base plates when the stovepipes occurred?

Seth_yg
10-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Were you using the +2 base plates when the stovepipes occurred?

No this was before I had the +2 plates.

TheNewbie
03-13-2018, 11:00 AM
I shot my 42 today and I had constant jams with Hornady American Gunner 90g hollow points. Any one else experience this?