PDA

View Full Version : Conflict resolution in the 60's

Glenn E. Meyer
09-27-2017, 10:37 AM
When I was in grad school, the student union was showing Night of the Living Dead (the old original version). The theater was packed. SRO. The atmosphere was hazy with recreational substance smoke.

As the movie progressed, one group of folks engaged in their cultural practice of commenting loudly to the characters in the movie. Don't go there, girl, etc.!

This annoyed another segment who didn't not like the commentary and opined loudly to STFU.

The first segment replied with pointed ethnic epithets, standing and posturing. This usually would intimidate the average college student. However, the annoyed segment was composed of night students from working class, manufacturing and steel plant backgrounds - mainly of Eastern European ancestry. They rose (and they had mighty thews).

What to do - is it time discuss whether you should have had a Glock (didn't exist them), a shotgun to rack? Flee in terror - the average snowflake (not a term used then) would be helpless.

But to the rescue came a voice from the long haired, weird contingent. Such a gentleman stood up and yelled:

"Chill Out - EVERYBODY JUST SMOKE WEED".

This seemed a reasonable suggestion and such was passed around and in a fog (literally and pharmacologically) the movie progressed.

Now this solution would probably not be acceptable to Attorney General Sessions who would prefer conflict, fighting and arrests. It did work for me, though.

Maybe this is a lesson for today.

blues
09-27-2017, 10:45 AM
But to the rescue came a voice from the long haired, weird contingent. Such a gentleman stood up and yelled:

"Chill Out - EVERYBODY JUST SMOKE WEED".

This seemed a reasonable suggestion and such was passed around and in a fog (literally and pharmacologically) the movie progressed...

...Maybe this is a lesson for today.

Kill the brain, and you kill the ghoul.

https://youtu.be/jnZIP-zF1Us

Peally
09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
I'd rather sit back and watch potheads fight.

Totem Polar
09-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Blues, your post has wicked depth to it. Well played, my friend, well played.

blues
09-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Blues, your post has wicked depth to it. Well played, my friend, well played.

Thank you, brother. I've gotta use what remains of the gray matter while it's still accessible. :p

Leroy Suggs
09-27-2017, 02:11 PM
How do you buy a gun without lying if you smoke dope?

Peally
09-27-2017, 02:20 PM
How do you buy a gun without lying if you smoke dope?

You don't, unless you count buying shitty stolen Lorcins on the street or only buy exclusively previously owned firearms.

FNFAN
09-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Now this solution would probably not be acceptable to Attorney General Sessions who would prefer conflict, fighting and arrests. It did work for me, though.

Maybe this is a lesson for today.

Don't know if it's the lesson for today, but certainly can be considered the Trump ad hominem for the day.

I suspect the folks engaged in their cultural practice would have fared better under Sessions than, say, Robert Byrd, back then.:cool:

SamAdams
09-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Have always wanted to watch the original Night of the Living Dead. Heard it has a great ending.

blues
09-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Have always wanted to watch the original Night of the Living Dead. Heard it has a great ending.

https://youtu.be/-_f2Enn8x5s

SamAdams
09-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks blues !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blues
09-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Thanks blues !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's my pleasure to bring "Night of the Living Dead" to a member of the Addams Adams Family! ;)

(Even if it's not in French. :p)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Addams_Family_Halloween_1977.JPG/1200px-Addams_Family_Halloween_1977.JPG

RoyGBiv
09-27-2017, 06:56 PM
^^^

"Are you.....". Presently.

"Have you ever been.....". Different question with perhaps a different answer for folks who grew up in the 60s and 70s (or 80s,90s,00s, 10s)

Yea PHRASING!

Hambo
09-28-2017, 07:06 AM
I honestly have no idea what the lesson in the OP is

It's good to know I'm not alone.

RoyGBiv
09-28-2017, 07:20 AM
It's good to know I'm not alone.

My takeaway was....

"Back in the old days, you could tell a guy to CHILL THE FUCK OUT and he would chill the fuck out.
Nowadays, notsomuch."

Maybe I missed it too.. ?

Hambo
09-28-2017, 07:25 AM
My takeaway was....

"Back in the old days, you could tell a guy to CHILL THE FUCK OUT and he would chill the fuck out.
Nowadays, notsomuch."

Before coffee I got zero. Halfway through my first cup of coffee and a second reading, here's what I've got: a friend with weed is a friend indeed, or: if you buy it, they will smoke it.

Chance
09-28-2017, 08:04 AM
As the movie progressed, one group of folks engaged in their cultural practice of commenting loudly to the characters in the movie. Don't go there, girl, etc.!

I was a projectionist in one of those restaurant / theater hybrid places through most of my undergrad days. The staff hated black movies (i.e., "Tyler Perry presents...").

I once had a projector go down during the opening night of one of those films (fail-safe false positive that took about seven seconds to fix). I could hear the crowd screaming from inside the booth.

Got the film running, turned to walk away from the equipment, and ran face first into a breathless assistant manager who had sprinted upstairs to tell me there was an issue. Most of the time, floor staff wouldn't bother coming to the booth when there was a problem, working under the assumption I'd fix it eventually (it was a small theater). I assured her everything was fine.

When she left, I went downstairs and locked the door. Better the hoard get you than me, lady.

blues
09-28-2017, 08:05 AM
My takeaway was....

Nowadays, notsomuch."

I took it to mean that you should travel with a posse of heavily muscled Eastern European laborers to back your play. ;)

Glenn E. Meyer
09-28-2017, 08:25 AM
BTW, I had no motivation besides to tell a funny story that came to mind and relate how we chilled out in my youth. Chilling would be a good thing today was my only suggestion. How is for a different day.

RoyGBiv
09-28-2017, 08:36 AM
My takeaway was....

Nowadays, notsomuch."

I took it to mean that you should travel with a posse of heavily muscled Eastern European laborers to back your play. ;)
Too literal...!!

BTW, I had no motivation besides to tell a funny story that came to mind and relate how we chilled out in my youth. Chilling would be a good thing today was my only suggestion. How is for a different day.
I win! :cool:

blues
09-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Too literal...!!

I win! :cool:

I'm rage quittin' cause I'm terribly insulted that I didn't receive a participation award and nobody offered me any weed by means of reparation (despite the fact that I don't partake).

Oh, and Mr. Biv, you can expect a contingent of bohunks on your doorstep shortly.

;)

Glenn E. Meyer
09-28-2017, 09:13 AM
The gentlemen in question were probably Polish as compared to the definition of bohunks. I'm heavily descended from Eastern Europe but I shall forgo spending money on DNA testing.

Interesting WWII fact, in some battle (which I forget), the Navy lacked secure radio communications and there was interference from fluent English speakers from Japan, giving fake orders and reports. So one part of the fleet asked if the other part had any bohunks. The answer was affirmative and conversation in Hungarian stymied the Japanese for a bit.

blues
09-28-2017, 09:31 AM
The gentlemen in question were probably Polish as compared to the definition of bohunks. I'm heavily descended from Eastern Europe but I shall forgo spending money on DNA testing.

Interesting WWII fact, in some battle (which I forget), the Navy lacked secure radio communications and there was interference from fluent English speakers from Japan, giving fake orders and reports. So one part of the fleet asked if the other part had any bohunks. The answer was affirmative and conversation in Hungarian stymied the Japanese for a bit.

You might be interested in a book I'm reading presently. I'm only about a third of the way in thus far.

Sons and Soldiers: The Untold Story of the Jews Who Escaped the Nazis and Returned with the U.S. Army to Fight Hitler (https://www.amazon.com/Sons-Soldiers-Untold-Escaped-Returned/dp/0062670301)
by Bruce Henderson

Glenn E. Meyer
09-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I saw a blurb for it. Looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently reading a history of the air war in the South Pacific and listening in the car to the latest Gabriel Allon book (my favorite spy type).

beenalongtime
09-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Is this the place for a Steven Seagal meme?:D

blues
09-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Is this the place for a Steven Seagal meme?:D

No. I said laborers. (Not to mention heavily muscled.)

;)

RevolverRob
09-28-2017, 10:35 AM
^^^

"Are you.....". Presently.

"Have you ever been.....". Different question with perhaps a different answer for folks who grew up in the 60s and 70s (or 80s,90s,00s, 10s)

Yea PHRASING!

Gotta be honest. I always interpreted this question as present tense as well.

Given that the DEA will hire you, if you smoked some pot 5 or 10 years ago and give you a gun; I'm not really sure the 4473 is looking to weed-out people who smoked some reefer 50 years ago.

blues
09-28-2017, 10:52 AM
I saw a blurb for it. Looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently reading a history of the air war in the South Pacific and listening in the car to the latest Gabriel Allon book (my favorite spy type).

I read several of those but I felt like it was the same book for the most part with minor changes of scenery and character names. (I got to the same point with the Bosch novels. I like the series better than the books in many respects.)