PDA

View Full Version : Old Crow

Bigguy
09-26-2017, 06:39 PM
In the name of "research" I've sampled several liquors. Characters in my book have preferred Oak Heart, Knob Creek, Markers, Mark, and Crown Royal. As an author I should have an idea about their preferences, so I dutifully get and try a sample of those I haven't tried before.

> sigh <

In my fifth novel (you see what I did there) one of the characters is an alcoholic and goes for quantity over quality. He swills > sigh < Old Crow.

> sigh <

Duty calls.

> sigh <

I think my next alcoholic will win a lottery and be able to buy something better than Old Crow.

schüler
09-26-2017, 07:11 PM
That said, I heard it's better to drink it than it eat it.

Jaywalker
09-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Shows where my mind is. I thought you were talking about the organization of electronic warfare officers. Old ideas die hard.

ACP230
09-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Old Crow is my cooking whiskey.
Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace for sipping around here.

RoyGBiv
09-27-2017, 11:00 AM
This thread is not what I was expecting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gX1EP6mG-E

Wondering Beard
09-27-2017, 11:03 AM
^^^

Beat me to it.

Tabasco
09-27-2017, 11:23 AM
In the name of "research" I've sampled several liquors. Characters in my book have preferred Oak Heart, Knob Creek, Markers, Mark, and Crown Royal. As an author I should have an idea about their preferences, so I dutifully get and try a sample of those I haven't tried before.

> sigh <

In my fifth novel (you see what I did there) one of the characters is an alcoholic and goes for quantity over quality. He swills > sigh < Old Crow.

> sigh <

Duty calls.

> sigh <

I think my next alcoholic will win a lottery and be able to buy something better than Old Crow.

Evan Williams is a 'bargain brand' that's actually quite good. Four Roses is a brand I discovered reading Raymond Chandler. It was only available in Japan for many years, but now is back on the US market. It's also quite good, a bit lighter than Evan Williams. Vat 69 is like that too, only available outside the US, but still around. Had someone bring me back a bottle from Buenos Aries, old ad's and Band of Brothers sparked my interest. Very similar to Cutty Sark FWIW.

psalms144.1
09-27-2017, 11:42 AM
You need to get you some George Dickle, pronto. During my first long stint at FLETC, one of our class mottoes was "A little Dickle do ya..."

And Old Crow will taste like fine wine compared to Military Special...

Jaywalker
09-27-2017, 11:57 AM
You need to get you some George Dickle, pronto. During my first long stint at FLETC, one of our class mottoes was "A little Dickle do ya..."

And Old Crow will taste like fine wine compared to Military Special...

Military Special scotch (aged a whole three years) tastes okay when cut with enough water. $10 a barrel? anyway, it's cheap.

schüler
09-27-2017, 12:34 PM
This thread is not what I was expecting....

[OCMS]

Now I have THIS stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLK55ShcTeQ

texasaggie2005
09-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Evan Williams is a 'bargain brand' that's actually quite good.

I keep this one hand for whiskey & coke's. Hard to beat at $18 a jug.

Bigguy
09-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Fortunately for me I truly like Bacardi Oakheart. At $21.99 for a 1.75L bottle, it's pretty cheap. On occasion I'll drink something else. As most of my characters have a preference, I like to at least try what I'm writing about. One of these days I'll try a good single malt scotch.

Tabasco
09-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Military Special scotch (aged a whole three years) tastes okay when cut with enough water. $10 a barrel? anyway, it's cheap.

My Dad used to buy "All Hands" scotch at the Navy PX by the case. Big plastic bottles. That stuff sucked.

Lester Polfus
09-27-2017, 07:05 PM
You said "novels."

I both read, and write. Can you give us a link to your work?

SeriousStudent
09-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Old Crow is my cooking whiskey.
Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace for sipping around here.

I like my cook. I would never feed her Old Crow.

willie
09-27-2017, 07:51 PM
For the down and out alcoholic in your novels, Thunder Bird wine is an appropriate choice. Once there was a ditty that went like this: What's the word? Thunder Bird. What's the price? 50 cents twice.

RoyGBiv
09-27-2017, 08:15 PM
For the down and out alcoholic in your novels, Thunder Bird wine is an appropriate choice. Once there was a ditty that went like this: What's the word? Thunder Bird. What's the price? 50 cents twice.
Some good times!

SamAdams
09-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Wild Turkey 101 bourbon for the octane rating. Now that's what characters drink !

Tabasco
09-27-2017, 08:37 PM

I think it was....

What's the word?
Thunderbird!
What's the price?
Thirty twice!
What's the jive?
Birds alive!

There's a story about one of the Gallo brothers (who produced T-Bird) driving along in a rough hood back in the days. He saw a passed out drunk on the sidewalk, pulled over and yelled "What's the Word"?

The drunk woke up and said:

"Thunderbird"!

Thus the ad campaign was deemed successful.

WDR
09-27-2017, 09:28 PM
My Dad used to buy "All Hands" scotch at the Navy PX by the case. Big plastic bottles. That stuff sucked.

Generally, anything is a plastic bottle pretty much sucks. I had a bad run in with a bottle of Black Velvet in my younger, less responsible days... yeeech! Thunderbird, Old Crow, Colt 45, and Old English 800. Ha!

I will say, I can drink Jim Beam straight, and it's not bad. Not as good as more expensive stuff, but drinkable. I hardly drink anymore; my wife drinks more beer than I do. Been sipping some Bulleit lately, if I do have a drink.

Sigfan26
09-27-2017, 10:12 PM
Evan Williams Green bottle is the go to for a lush (or a college student). $8 a bottle. Evan Williams Black Label when times are tight (or you're mixing). Bookers when you're flush (and always start out with a shot, followed by a double on the rocks). Knobb Creek Rye when you're doing alright. And Wild Turkey Rare Bird on Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie
09-28-2017, 12:37 AM
I'm pleased that others recognize the old T bird brand. I notice that misspelled it by not writing it as Thunderbird. Some may remember Jax and Falstaff beer, both long gone. Let's say that these brands were consumed by some of the same guys drinking Thunderbird. I drank my share.