PDA

View Full Version : Movie Wind River

UNK
09-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Put this in the movie thread but it didn't garner much attention. This is a PF movies if there ever was one. Looks like a 45-70 a Ruger single action, a predator hunter, 2 and 4 legged predators, Fed LE Reservation LE local LE, combat vet, reloading, shootouts, extreme weather,ski mobiles all in the great outdoors. If you haven't seen it I recommend you do.

https://youtu.be/zN9PDOoLAfg

schüler
09-24-2017, 07:40 AM
The world is a sad place for good hearted people, especially as they get older. My favorite part was the death face conversation in the backyard.

In spite of some poor acting and being Hollywood'd up... it was worth seeing once.

David S.
09-24-2017, 10:10 AM

JHC
09-24-2017, 10:16 AM
I've been meaning to see it. And that Marlin Guide Gun?

Bigghoss
09-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Guess I'll go see it tonight then.

jandbj
09-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Death face scene... and 500 gr mono metal bullets. Both made me smile. ;)

NETim
09-25-2017, 08:16 PM
I liked it a lot. Beautiful scenery if nothing else.

Dagga Boy
09-25-2017, 08:20 PM
My girlfriend and I loved the movie. We each saw it separately before she moved to Dallas. She said she had total flashbacks to her life in Colorado. Snow machine hunting, the terrain, the weather, hunting, protecting cattle from coyotes, etc. So she was like the guy, and I totally related to the female FBI agent. Not dressed right, and not really into anything you can't drive your SUV to. Great movie for gun folks.

Totem Polar
09-26-2017, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up, folks. I'll put it on the list.

Bigghoss
09-26-2017, 04:30 AM
Didn't get to go watch it and it looks like it's the last weekend for it at my local theater. Maybe it'll be showing up in Colorado Springs for a bit longer. I'll probably just wait for it to hit Netflix or Amazon.

I sure do want me a .45-70 Guide Gun. I have a .45-70 NEF single shot and it did some impressive damage to gallon water jugs using Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. Like, laugh-out-loud "HOLY SHIT" damage.

GJM
09-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Awesome movie!

LittleLebowski
09-26-2017, 10:14 PM
I’m not going to find out for myself, but I’m betting it wasn’t shot in Wyoming.

GJM
09-26-2017, 10:16 PM
I’m not going to find out for myself, but I’m betting it wasn’t shot in Wyoming.

I understand mostly in Utah, with a bit in Lander.

NETim
09-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Warning! May contain a spoiler or two!

As usual, Graham Greene brings his patented acerbic cool to the big screen. The shootout scene was intense. Had a hard time buying into FBI chick's house clearing run just minutes after being pepper sprayed, but maybe she's pretty tough. She did demo a good deal of grit later on in the flick.

And that guy from The Walking Dead just keeps showing up in flicks. (Jon Bernthal)

45dotACP
09-27-2017, 08:32 AM

As usual, Graham Greene brings his patented acerbic cool to the big screen. The shootout scene was intense. Had a hard time buying into FBI chick's house clearing run just minutes after being pepper sprayed, but maybe she's pretty tough. She did demo a good deal of grit later on in the flick.

And that guy from The Walking Dead just keeps showing up in flicks. (Jon Bernthal)I am patiently awaiting season one of the Punisher...

Just saw this movie yesterday. It was pretty good. I liked it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trukinjp13
09-29-2017, 10:01 PM
He has actually trained to. I think he found his way into the gun world after being unsure how he felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnionsAndDragons
09-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Saw it for my birthday night out. Thought it was very well done overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SamAdams
09-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Had to lightly skim the thread to avoid potential spoilers.

I avoid most current released movies today. Often too much preaching of a left leaning agenda.

Without giving away plot details maybe guys who have seen it can answer a question please. - - It seems highly unlikely that a lone woman agent would be sent to a wild remote area on such a case by herself. Is there a reason for the agent depicted being a woman rather than a man ? (Lots of movies push the 'super warrior woman, girls can do anything a man can do' meme.) If giving details might spoil the ending, just something along 'yes, there's a reason' or 'no, not really' would be appreciated. Thanks.

GJM
09-30-2017, 12:19 PM
She just happened to be nearby when the events came down, and was dispatched as closest FBI agent.

SamAdams
09-30-2017, 12:34 PM
She just happened to be nearby when the events came down, and was dispatched as closest FBI agent.

Thanks GJM think I'll go see it

DamonL
09-30-2017, 06:45 PM
The movie reminded me a little of the TV series, Longmire.

Dismas316
09-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Saw it last week, good movie.

UNK
10-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Awesome movie!

I thought you would like it. You are one of the people I had in mind when I made this thread.

UNK
10-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Ahhh i thought she was in florida?

schüler
10-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Ahhh i thought she was in florida?

She was either raised or stationed in Florida. But nearest agent when it went down.

UNK
10-01-2017, 10:24 AM
She was either raised or stationed in Florida. But nearest agent when it went down.

Did it say where she was stationed?

ETA I think we posted at same time.

schüler
10-01-2017, 10:29 AM

It's been weeks since I saw it, I'm going to have to plead the 4 1/2 Amendment. I remember the Florida part but not with specificity. lol

JHC
10-01-2017, 11:02 AM
The Marlin Guide Gun made it into the new Kingsman too. I could get used to seeing leverguns in action movies.

UNK
10-01-2017, 11:08 AM
The Marlin Guide Gun made it into the new Kingsman too. I could get used to seeing leverguns in action movies.

Have you seen it? I heard yesterday it hasnt gotten good reviews. I hope its not a disappointment.

JHC
10-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Have you seen it? I heard yesterday it hasnt gotten good reviews. I hope its not a disappointment.

Saw it last night. I found it brilliant. I've watched the original six times. Big fan. And I'd hate have to pick between the two. Will own it.

Liked it so much, left the theater, crossed the street and had two gin martinis. :D

HCM
10-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Had to lightly skim the thread to avoid potential spoilers.

I avoid most current released movies today. Often too much preaching of a left leaning agenda.

Without giving away plot details maybe guys who have seen it can answer a question please. - - It seems highly unlikely that a lone woman agent would be sent to a wild remote area on such a case by herself. Is there a reason for the agent depicted being a woman rather than a man ? (Lots of movies push the 'super warrior woman, girls can do anything a man can do' meme.) If giving details might spoil the ending, just something along 'yes, there's a reason' or 'no, not really' would be appreciated. Thanks.

Haven't seen the movie yet but here goes:

From a real world perspective - no there is no reason a female agent wouldn't be assigned.
An agent is an agent doesn't matter male or female. There are female agents who are more or less capable and there are male agents who are more or less capable. It all depends.

From a movie / storyteller perspective female agent is more dramatic

As for a lone agent, in Indian country the FBI genrally provides investigative support with major cases for the BIA police in the same way state investigators like the Texas Rangers will support smaller LEA's in rural areas elsewhere. In many of these areas all LE is spread pretty thin.

Being a detective/ investigator is not like being a patrol officer. While the unexpected certainly happens, you are normally initiating enforcement actions not reacting. You should generally be picking the time, place and circumstances of most arrests to be most favorable to you - think of Craig Douglas and William Aprill's "unequal initiative" applied to criminals instead of by criminals.

That said it is unlikely an agent would be assigned to assist BIA with something like this unless they assigned or at least TDY to the office with jurisdiction. For all LE the smaller the office the more variety of assignments one will be required to handle.

HCM
10-01-2017, 12:03 PM

And that guy from The Walking Dead just keeps showing up in flicks. (Jon Bernthal)

Haven't seen the movie but this is why most LE Agencies require officers to get sprayed with OC in the Academy. When we got OC in the 90's the final stage to be certified was getting sprayed and the completing a Force on Force scenario where you had to shoot a knife weilding opponent, call for assistance and hold them at gun point until backup arrived. Let's just say it is definately possible to shoot with one hand while the other physically holds one eye open.

Pepper spray effects people differently. It is more effective on some than others. On some people in effects breathing more while with others it effects the eyes more.

While not idea, it's possible, especially if she got to wash some of the spray out.

OnionsAndDragons
10-01-2017, 12:34 PM

IIRC, she was at a conference or wedding or some such in Vegas, and was the quickest agent to dispatch.

Cory
10-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Haven't seen the movie but this is why most LE Agencies require officers to get sprayed with OC in the Academy. When we got OC in the 90's the final stage to be certified was getting sprayed and the completing a Force on Force scenario where you had to shoot a knife weilding opponent, call for assistance and hold them at gun point until backup arrived. Let's just say it is definately possible to shoot with one hand while the other physically holds one eye open.

Pepper spray effects people differently. It is more effective on some than others. On some people in effects breathing more while with others it effects the eyes more.

While not idea, it's possible, especially if she got to wash some of the spray out.

Saw the movie. The way it's depicted in the film isn't accurate. I was an MP and I'm familiar with what your talking about, but the way it's depicted doesn't line up with reality on this one.

Spoiler. Highlight me.

She get's bear maced from 3-5 feet away directly to the face. She does the funky chicken for about 20-30 seconds, then draws her weapon and goes into a building to room clear. A) bad tactic. B) She isn't holding an eye open, she is using both eyes. A camera angle shows her perspective for a moment with red all around the edges and a small area of clarity in the middle. She wouldn't even be able to open her eyes unless holding them open, and that's with OC not bear mace.. Her face was "oh shit chemical red" all over her eyes just a second before. No way she mag dumps a guy and then does a smooth reload. All with both hands on the pistol

Overall, there were a few flaws with the movie. It's visuals, acting, cast, firearms, weren't among them. Mostly plot holes I thought.

Spoiler. Highlight me.

Why didn't the security guys follow her on a sled? They had them.
How did her tracks make it through a snow storm so they could locate her body again? I grew up in upstate NY. Callin BS.
If her tracks are there, why not follow them back to where she came from?
If a bullet passes through something it generally doesn't throw it around. I'll buy the shotgun hitting a vest giving Lizzy Olsen a throw, but the .45-70 shouldn't have right?
If the guards are so isolated and bored that they need to gang rape the one guys girlfriend... then how did he get the girlfriend? Not saying this is a hole per se, but I see it as a glaring issue. They just came back from getting drunk, and yet their is nothing to do?
She got a ride to the place. Who gave her the ride, and why didn't they say "I dropped her off"?

I liked where the key'd up cop noticed he was getting flanked. I pay attention to that stuff when I'm just out doing things. If someone was intentionally moving to my side, or boxing me I would notice it. The fact he never put his pistol away was incredibly telling. Dude knew what the score was and was moving along anyway. "Nobody behind me". Later when he was like "Let's fucking do this" I wanted him to score the hits first so bad.

It should be noted for those interested, that when folks say the movie has reloading in it... they mean both a magazine change, and weighing powder and processing brass. I think that's cool.

Something that hasn't been discussed... The movie is incredibly well done. But, it's also incredibly hard to watch. It's emotional and powerful about pretty awful subject matter. My wife and I went into the theatre expecting a cat-n-mouse killer movie. This ain't that. One may also want to be careful bringing any loved ones with intimate trauma.

-Cory

NETim
10-02-2017, 08:21 AM
The movie reminded me a little of the TV series, Longmire.

Ah, the Graham Greene Effect. :)

I was disappointed in the tactics of the good guys in the scenes leading up to the big shootout, but it was effective at building tension. Then the Guide Gun came into play.

Trying hard not to spoil the flick.

Just go see it.

GJM
10-02-2017, 10:04 AM
I thought you would like it. You are one of the people I had in mind when I made this thread.

I immediately called Jim Brockman to go see it.

Lester Polfus
10-02-2017, 10:27 AM

While I never had my spray taken away from me by a suspect, which was the commonly used justification for the three full face exposures in training for three different agencies, those experiences were valuable when I was wrestling with a 6'5' 300lb schizophrenic weight lifter. Officer Dunning ran up and dumped a full can of Punch, mostly in my face. About 30 seconds later Officer Kreuger ran up and repeated that performance. That only soaked my back, but did make the suspect more slippery.

As my sergeant was dousing me with water he reminded me a couple of times that it wasn't ok to punch other cops.

Regarding the movie, I'll see it. I have low expectations and occasionally am pleasantly surprised.

Shotgun
10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
My favorite part was the death face conversation in the backyard.

It's a depressing and sad movie, but it is one of the best I have seen this year. It is certainly the one that sticks in my mind the most. I would even consider seeing it in the theater again even after knowing the story line. I agree with Schuler; the death face scene was the best part. "Favorite" or "best" may not be the appropriate words for a scene of such tremendous sadness and shared friendship, but I can't think of anything better.

And, not to take away from the "best" scene, this is a great line:

Jane Banner: Shouldn't we wait for back up?

Ben: This isn't the land of waiting for back up. This is the land of you're on your own.

Reminded me of rural West Texas.

HCM
10-02-2017, 12:07 PM
While I never had my spray taken away from me by a suspect, which was the commonly used justification for the three full face exposures in training for three different agencies, those experiences were valuable when I was wrestling with a 6'5' 300lb schizophrenic weight lifter. Officer Dunning ran up and dumped a full can of Punch, mostly in my face. About 30 seconds later Officer Kreuger ran up and repeated that performance. That only soaked my back, but did make the suspect more slippery.

As my sergeant was dousing me with water he reminded me a couple of times that it wasn't ok to punch other cops.

Regarding the movie, I'll see it. I have low expectations and occasionally am pleasantly surprised.

I've been "over sprayed" once. It happens. It was more of an issue before we switched to a stream delivery.

Bigghoss
10-02-2017, 06:38 PM
I went to the theater this afternoon but showed up just a few minutes too late and there was a line. Rather than risk missing the first couple minutes of movie I went to DQ and got a blizzard and I'll go back tonight. I need something to take my mind off this shit day.

LittleLebowski
11-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Just watched this via Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Wind-River-Jeremy-Renner/dp/B0747LHQYL). Amazing, go watch ASAP.

Renner can’t really pull off the Wyoming accent, but no matter. Just a great movie.

Kyle Reese
11-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Just watched this via Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Wind-River-Jeremy-Renner/dp/B0747LHQYL). Amazing, go watch ASAP.

Renner can’t really pull off the Wyoming accent, but no matter. Just a great movie.

Gonna watch it today.

blues
11-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Gonna watch it today.

Ditto.

Totem Polar
11-05-2017, 01:07 PM
We just got a nice snow dump last night, and I'm feeling wintery and outdoorsy. Easier to just watch this, than actually go outside, so... ;)

blues
11-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Watched it with the missus this afternoon. Powerful, visceral. (Not without its flaws but nonetheless well acted and well worth the time.)

I've had a strong emotional bond to that area of WY since 1974.

Kyle Reese
11-05-2017, 05:52 PM
One of the best films that I’ve seen in years. Highly recommended.

Hambo
11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Watched it yesterday on Amazon and it was excellent. Pretty dark, but excellent.

GJM
11-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Yesterday, ran into a friend in Boise from Lander. She tips left. Asked if she saw it, and she said a few of her friends did, and told her not to waste her time. This film is probably a litmus test on your beliefs.

blues
11-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Yesterday, ran into a friend in Boise from Lander. She tips left. Asked if she saw it, and she said a few of her friends did, and told her not to waste her time. This film is probably a litmus test on your beliefs.

I know some ranchers in the Riverton area that would have a different perspective. (And I'm sorta sad that Lander has gone all muffins and granola but even back in 1974 it was apparent the direction things would take.)

Francis
11-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Those of you watching this on Prime, are you able to rent it? My only option is to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatypo

Lester Polfus
11-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Those of you watching this on Prime, are you able to rent it? My only option is to purchase.

Nope. Just purchase. Couple more days and I'll probably cave and spend the money.

That's saying a lot, because I'm a cheap bastard, and pretty jaded about giving Hollyweird my money.

jlw
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
This movie only played in one theater near me, and it played at times when I couldn't get to the theater. So far, it is only available for purchase from my "on demand".

UNK
11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
This movie only played in one theater near me, and it played at times when I couldn't get to the theater. So far, it is only available for purchase from my "on demand".

It would be worth the money but eventually free is a good bet too! The bigger the screen the better for this one.

AlwaysLearning
11-08-2017, 10:06 PM
It is an excellent film. I am glad I saw it on the big screen. Having said that, the story is very compelling and the lead actors clearly worked at their weapons skills. I think if you can watch it on a big LCD flat screen that would be a pretty good experience.

Francis
11-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Nope. Just purchase. Couple more days and I'll probably cave and spend the money.

That's saying a lot, because I'm a cheap bastard, and pretty jaded about giving Hollyweird my money.

I hear ya. I'm cheap too and will wait for it to go to rent. It was a girls night out tonight so I bach'd it and watched 6 Days for .99.

Lester Polfus
11-09-2017, 12:40 AM
I hear ya. I'm cheap too and will wait for it to go to rent. It was a girls night out tonight so I bach'd it and watched 6 Days for .99.

Oh my. My girls are in Florida for another week. It's Six Days tomorrow night for sure!

SkiDevil
11-09-2017, 05:55 AM

If you are able to watch it on the big screen at a movie theatre it is money well spent. The scenery and cinematography are incredible.

I watched it twice at the theatre, because I was late and missed part of the beginning the first time. It was a great movie and the finale was pretty intense. I liked Jane the F.B.I. (Olsen twin from tv show `Full House`) agent from Vegas who is one of the lead characters in the film. She did a great job and Renner was really good too. I love when she asks him what he does (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Officer), he responds "I'm a hunter." Jane asks, "Would you like to help me hunt a predator."

Yeah, it reminded me of the show 'Longmire' too. The movie is worth watching and is like one of the old Westerns hollywood used to make. It's the same director from the movies 'Hell and Highwater' and 'Sicario.'

P.S. I'm a .223/ 5.56 shooter when it comes to rifles, but never considered the tactical use of a large heavy caliber. My good friend has a .45-70 rifle and I have sbot it several times. With full loads it kicks hard, and I can only imagine the effects of such power to the human anatomy.

Hambo
11-09-2017, 07:30 AM

I was going to hold out for rental because I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm glad I bought it.

JHC
11-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Purchased a minute ago. Poured a deep Statesman bourbon and fixin to watch now.

JHC
11-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Fuck me. Worth twice. Wow.

Cory
11-10-2017, 09:53 PM
If you are able to watch it on the big screen at a movie theatre it is money well spent. The scenery and cinematography are incredible.

I watched it twice at the theatre, because I was late and missed part of the beginning the first time. It was a great movie and the finale was pretty intense. I liked Jane the F.B.I. (Olsen twin from tv show `Full House`) agent from Vegas who is one of the lead characters in the film. She did a great job and Renner was really good too. I love when she asks him what he does (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Officer), he responds "I'm a hunter." Jane asks, "Would you like to help me hunt a predator."

Yeah, it reminded me of the show 'Longmire' too. The movie is worth watching and is like one of the old Westerns hollywood used to make. It's the same director from the movies 'Hell and Highwater' and 'Sicario.'

P.S. I'm a .223/ 5.56 shooter when it comes to rifles, but never considered the tactical use of a large heavy caliber. My good friend has a .45-70 rifle and I have sbot it several times. With full loads it kicks hard, and I can only imagine the effects of such power to the human anatomy.

Elizibeth Olsen is the younger sister of MaryKate and Ashley. Don't think she was in full house. I've liked her in a few movies now.

-Cory

JM Campbell
11-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Fuck me. Worth twice. Wow.

I️ Just watched it this evening and agree 100%

JHC
11-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Since I bought it, I watched it again this afternoon. Picked up a bunch of pieces I missed first time. Some epic lines in that movie.

HCM
11-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Finally saw this last night. Great movie.

On another note, I watched the film "Shotcaller" afterwards. Is Joe Berenthal in everything now ? It's like he is the new Harry Dean Stanton.

JodyH
11-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Just FYI.
You can rent Wind River on YouTube for $4.99 or $5.99 HD.

Lester Polfus
11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Wow.

That was a good movie. I really don't watch that many movies any more, as they typically aren't very good, but I was impressed by the story telling in that one.

I think I'll probably watch it again.

Qaz98
11-14-2017, 03:34 PM
If you liked Wind River, you should check out Hell or High Water. Same writer. Same type of feel, just in a West(?) Texas feel.

Lester Polfus
11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
I've got Hell Or Highwater and Sicaro both on my watch list.

Bigguy
11-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Just finishing it up now. Heck of a movie. :Loved the line "Wolves don't kill unlucky deer."
What was Jeremy Renner shooting. .45 long colt?

Edit: OK, I see it was discussed in first post.

Coyotesfan97
11-15-2017, 02:56 AM
I just watched it. Great movie. I’ll watch it again before the rental runs out.

JodyH
11-15-2017, 08:16 AM
"Hell or High Water" is just as good.
If you grew up or have ever lived in Northwest Texas the movie is great.
The various characters throughout the movie and the mood setting scenes pretty much nail what it's like to live there.

blues
11-15-2017, 09:15 AM
I recently recorded "Hell or High Water" to watch again. Loved it the first time around.

The dude more than abides.

JodyH
11-15-2017, 09:25 AM
I recently recorded "Hell or High Water" to watch again. Loved it the first time around.

The dude more than abides.
"What don't you want?"
That restaurant is in every small ranching town in Texas and New Mexico

Clip is not a spoiler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdYXQ-IPZcc

JodyH
11-15-2017, 09:31 AM
For all the New Mexico peeps.
Hell or High Water was mostly filmed in Estancia.

Robinson
11-15-2017, 09:36 AM
*** SLIGHT SPOILER ***

I liked Hell or High Water for the most part, but it seemed obvious that in the one bank robbery scene they were trying to make the points that a) anyone who carries a gun and is not a cop or a criminal is an idiot and b) CCW is futile against violent crime. They did so by having the civilians carrying guns respond very poorly during the scene.

Yes, of course there are people who carry and are not prepared. But they made it a point to blatantly illustrate that.

Still a good movie though, and Bridges was superb in his role.

JodyH
11-15-2017, 09:53 AM
*** SLIGHT SPOILER ***

I liked Hell or High Water for the most part, but it seemed obvious that in the one bank robbery scene they were trying to make the points that a) anyone who carries a gun and is not a cop or a criminal is an idiot and b) CCW is futile against violent crime. They did so by having the civilians carrying guns respond very poorly during the scene.

Yes, of course there are people who carry and are not prepared. But they made it a point to blatantly illustrate that.

Still a good movie though, and Bridges was superb in his role.
Unfortunately my experience as a CCW instructor in this area is that they were pretty much spot on in their portrayal of 99% of the gun toters around here...
Sad but true.
Humor is at its best when it really hits close to uncomfortable truths, and that scene cracked me up big time.

Robinson
11-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately my experience as a CCW instructor in this area is that they were pretty much spot on in their portrayal of 99% of the gun toters around here...
Sad but true.
Humor is at its best when it really hits close to uncomfortable truths, and that scene cracked me up big time.

You're absolutely right, yet the scene managed to rub me the wrong way. No biggie.

JodyH
11-15-2017, 10:00 AM
You're absolutely right, yet the scene managed to rub me the wrong way. No biggie.
The whole movie had characters and scenes that rubbed me the wrong way... because they were too damn close to reality.
LOL

Wendell
11-16-2017, 12:39 PM
"Hell or High Water" is just as good...

x2

It deserves it's own thread.

Dave Williams
11-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Just watched Wind River with my wife. Didn't feel it to be very realistic the way the FBI agent acted, high heels, so emotional, etc. We figured out the plot as soon as the dead boyfriend was found. Definitely not a movie to watch with a woman who has been sexually assaulted in the past. Loved the 45-70 action. At one point I said they needed to call Walt Longmire for backup!

Lost River
11-18-2017, 11:58 AM
In regards to wind River:

Great movie, but there were a couple things that were way off. I suppose this comes from growing up and living in a similar environment.

Never have I ever seen an animal control guy, or any other predator hunter using a lever action, let alone a large bore one for the job. This is the land of extended ranges, and lever guns are extremely out of place. Virtually everyone carries a bolt gun, or now days an AR. The choice of a 45-70 is all wrong. It seems like a minor point, but every rural guy I know would immediately see that and scratch his head and say "WTF is that?". It is like trying to be as realistic as possible for a movie about patrol officers, then giving them a black powder revolver in 2017.

The other thing is that the guy is supposed to be a predator hunter. This means shooting, trapping, dragging, skinning, etc. It also means tracking, sitting for long periods in the dirt and sage. Yet his clothes are all nice and clean, and not worn/weathered looking. He is WAY too clean looking.

Sit in the dirt for a few sets calling, then shoot a couple dogs. Drag out, put a couple critters on a gambrel, then tube them out, and your clothes will never be the same. After just a week or two of that, your stuff will look like a recreational hunter's clothes looks like it does after 5 seasons of hunting.

The realities of living in the ranching and farming community, versus the movies is a bit skewed.

https://i.imgur.com/v7MEJmy.jpg

Still, overall a great movie.

Totem Polar
11-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Available on DVD now as well. What can I say? I’m a physical medium junky.

LittleLebowski
11-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Great movie, but there were a couple things that were way off. I suppose this comes from growing up and living in a similar environment.

Never have I ever seen an animal control guy, or any other predator hunter using a lever action, let alone a large bore one for the job. This is the land of extended ranges, and lever guns are extremely out of place. Virtually everyone carries a bolt gun, or now days an AR. The choice of a 45-70 is all wrong. It seems like a minor point, but every rural guy I know would immediately see that and scratch his head and say "WTF is that?". It is like trying to be as realistic as possible for a movie about patrol officers, then giving them a black powder revolver in 2017.

The other thing is that the guy is supposed to be a predator hunter. This means shooting, trapping, dragging, skinning, etc. It also means tracking, sitting for long periods in the dirt and sage. Yet his clothes are all nice and clean, and not worn/weathered looking. He is WAY too clean looking.

Sit in the dirt for a few sets calling, then shoot a couple dogs. Drag out, put a couple critters on a gambrel, then tube them out, and your clothes will never be the same. After just a week or two of that, your stuff will look like a recreational hunter's clothes looks like it does after 5 seasons of hunting.

The realities of living in the ranching and farming community, versus the movies is a bit skewed.

Still, overall a great movie.

As usual, spot the fuck on. Ya know, there’s a reason why high velocity calibers are so ridiculously popular on the Plains. I also noticed how spotless his cammies were. I can be persuaded to believe the choice of the Guide Gun for very specific applications; my brother has a .444 Marlin for bear country and I can readily see that being used for a lion.

JodyH
11-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Don't overthink this shit... it's a movie.
:p

Rex G
11-18-2017, 05:45 PM

(Snipped for emphasis.)

Re-watch the coyote/sheep scene. Not a 45-70. ;)

I am about to retire from big-city LEO-ing, and I have considered wearing my Mernickle Evil Roy rig, with a pair of USFA Single Actions, to my final roll call. :) (Yes, I would have to switch to my modern duty rig before leaving the building.)

True enough, regarding the pristine clothing, of course.

Yes, a great movie.

LittleLebowski
11-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Calling coyotes in like that so fast and the second coyote sitting around going “huh” was pretty funny. Still, a great movie.

Who here besides Lost River and I, knew what a gambrel is?

blues
11-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Calling coyotes in like that so fast and the second coyote sitting around going “huh” was pretty funny. Still, a great movie.

I for one...they're not all that rare...at least I don't think so.

schüler
11-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Who here besides Lost River and I, knew what a gambrel is?Spread 'em.

jlw
11-18-2017, 10:03 PM
After all of the chatter on here, I went ahead an bought it on Amazon so that I could have it as hotel room and airplane fodder.

I just got a new smart TV with an Amazon app. The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve. At this point, I wouldn't put it in the same league with "Hell or High Water", but that movie was much better on the second watching.

I taught my Police-Citizen Contacts course in Oklahoma last week, and one of the questions afterward had to do with tribal police and law. I had previously researched it a little and looked into it again after the question. It's a jumbled mess. The movie got the spirit of that correct.

As to the comment about the clothing, it is funny that they went to the trouble of using a "distressed" cowboy hat for Renner, but the rest of his clothing is pristine. When he was hunting the coyotes, I don't think he was using the levergun.

JodyH
11-18-2017, 10:06 PM
The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve.
^^^ This ^^^
I had to listen to it through headphones in order to pick up all the dialog.
Between tinnitus, cauliflower ear and the overlaid theatrical sound effects a lot of the dialog was lost to me (especially female voices).

jandbj
11-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Loved it in the theater. Still liked the $1.50 Redbox rental tonight!

Rex G
11-18-2017, 10:40 PM

I think I remember making a crude gambrel, or two, with stiff wire, back in the day. I did not grow up in a hunting family, but in a semi-rural area, we had poultry.

YVK
11-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Watched it on my transatlantic flight two days ago. Having spent half of my life in a very cold climate, got a chuckle at a cold-induced pulmonary hemorrhage thing, especially it being played out twice. Otherwise, enjoyed it, might look at few scenes again when I fly back.

LittleLebowski
11-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Watched it on my transatlantic flight two days ago. Having spent half of my life in a very cold climate, got a chuckle at a cold-induced pulmonary hemorrhage thing, especially it being played out twice. Otherwise, enjoyed it, might look at few scenes again when I fly back.

I was thinking that seemed a little too common to reproduce at will, am I correct?

LittleLebowski
11-19-2017, 01:10 PM
After all of the chatter on here, I went ahead an bought it on Amazon so that I could have it as hotel room and airplane fodder.

I just got a new smart TV with an Amazon app. The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve. At this point, I wouldn't put it in the same league with "Hell or High Water", but that movie was much better on the second watching.

I taught my Police-Citizen Contacts course in Oklahoma last week, and one of the questions afterward had to do with tribal police and law. I had previously researched it a little and looked into it again after the question. It's a jumbled mess. The movie got the spirit of that correct.

As to the comment about the clothing, it is funny that they went to the trouble of using a "distressed" cowboy hat for Renner, but the rest of his clothing is pristine. When he was hunting the coyotes, I don't think he was using the levergun.

Yeah, he was using a bolt gun for the yotes.

YVK
11-19-2017, 09:37 PM
I was thinking that seemed a little too common to reproduce at will, am I correct?

I've seen some frozen people, and I spent a lot of time running in cold including sub zero temps. Never seen anyone bleed out in lungs. Russian cross country and biathlon teams had a base near my town, they put on up close to 50 km in training. Cold air is a very dry, low humidity air, there is not much there to crystallize when inhaled, as I remember being explained in the film.

Malamute
11-19-2017, 10:11 PM
The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve.

^^^ This ^^^
I had to listen to it through headphones in order to pick up all the dialog.
Between tinnitus, cauliflower ear and the overlaid theatrical sound effects a lot of the dialog was lost to me (especially female voices).

I used to keep rewinding to try to figure out dialog, now I mostly just start out with subtitles or closed captions instead of trying to do without then adding them halfway through the movie.

Looking forward to seeing this. Will likely get it from the library whenever they get a copy..

Matt O
11-20-2017, 07:01 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/2331aa689e72fb71171d55c0e7ac863e.jpg

JHC
11-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Never have I ever seen an animal control guy, or any other predator hunter using a lever action, let alone a large bore one for the job. This is the land of extended ranges, and lever guns are extremely out of place. Virtually everyone carries a bolt gun, or now days an AR. The choice of a 45-70 is all wrong. .

I totally get your overall point but still . . . griz: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/11/wy-45-super-stops-grizzly-bear-charge.html

Note that this particular Marlin .45-70 model has now appeared in 3 movies I'm aware of. The last Jurassic Park, The Kingsmen Golden Circle and Wind River. Interesting.

Shotgun
11-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Deer hunters do. Or, the shape of a barn roof, but l know you didn’t mean that.

I think Lost is being a little critical about rifle choice. I grew up in rural West Texas. I saw many lever guns in backs of pickups and on ranches growing up. On ranches, they were carried in pickups for predator control and might be used during deer season. A large bore lever gun didn’t look out of place to me when Renner’s character was going after the mountain lion in timber. It certainly didn’t look out of place like a muzzle loading pistol on a modern day police officer.

JodyH
11-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Deer hunters do. Or, the shape of a barn roof, but l know you didn’t mean that.

I think Lost is being a little critical about rifle choice. I grew up in rural West Texas. I saw many lever guns in backs of pickups and on ranches growing up. On ranches, they were carried in pickups for predator control and might be used during deer season. A large bore lever gun didn’t look out of place to me when Renner’s character was going after the mountain lion in timber. It certainly didn’t look out of place like a muzzle loading pistol on a modern day police officer.
A .30-.30 lever action has probably killed more critters of all types on ranches than every other caliber/action combined.

jlw
11-20-2017, 10:07 AM
When he was hunting coyotes, he used a bolt-action. When they started hunting bandits, he used a levergun. Leverguns are appropriate for bandit whacking.

EMC
11-21-2017, 04:51 PM
I've seen some frozen people, and I spent a lot of time running in cold including sub zero temps. Never seen anyone bleed out in lungs. Russian cross country and biathlon teams had a base near my town, they put on up close to 50 km in training. Cold air is a very dry, low humidity air, there is not much there to crystallize when inhaled, as I remember being explained in the film.Yeah doesn't the air immediately warm upon entering the esophagus? Pretty lame fictional cause of death.

JHC
11-21-2017, 06:23 PM
They said in dialog it was -20 F at night IIRC. Below -10 shit get weird IIRC. But IDK. No running for me that cold.

TAZ
11-21-2017, 11:57 PM
I’ve been in cold chambers at -20 and even -40, not running of course, but my lungs didn’t freeze and I obviously didn’t drown in my own blood.

Running barefoot, in snow with no real protective clothing, yeah I can see dying in that environment jiffy quick. But it would be from hypothermia.

LOBO
11-22-2017, 03:29 AM

Yep...

JHC
11-22-2017, 06:21 AM
I’ve been in cold chambers at -20 and even -40, not running of course, but my lungs didn’t freeze and I obviously didn’t drown in my own blood.

Running barefoot, in snow with no real protective clothing, yeah I can see dying in that environment jiffy quick. But it would be from hypothermia.

When I deplaned at Ft Wainwright in -40 I discovered my WI experience of -15 was bullshit compared to -40. First inhale felt like it was freeze drying the hair in my nose! UP went the snorkel hood! I can't imagine running in it. Walking with face exposed was painful fast.

Matt O
11-22-2017, 06:51 AM
When I deplaned at Ft Wainwright in -40 I discovered my WI experience of -15 was bullshit compared to -40. First inhale felt like it was freeze drying the hair in my nose! UP went the snorkel hood! I can't imagine running in it. Walking with face exposed was painful fast.

It’s ok to be a mouth breather when it’s -40.

The coldest I’ve ever experienced was about -45 degrees in Harbin, which for someone born and raised in Virginia, was a bit of a shock. After a certain point I don’t even think about the specific number of degrees below zero, it’s just fucking unreasonably cold.

That said, while I sure as shit wasn’t running around at the time, I’d agree that a death related to exposure and hypothermia seems far more realistic.

blues
11-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Coldest I've been out on multi-day winter backpacking trips was -15* and below for up to a week on Mt. Washington in NH, (a locale known for its monstrously high winds), in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, specifically Mt. Marcy, the highest point in NY., and in the back country of Yosemite near Vogelsang Pass.

Granted, we weren't running, but climbing, backpacking, snowshoeing in cold / deep snow will get your motor running.

I can't recall any respiratory distress during those outings.

45dotACP
11-22-2017, 11:51 AM
I suspect hyperventilating from a traumatic event whilst running outside in -40 would be a different ball game. Still, pulmonary hemorrhage seems like it was chosen for shock value.

I think hypothermia would be more plausible in the real world.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LOBO
11-24-2017, 12:40 AM
I watched Wind River last night & really liked it. I thank y'all for bringing it to my attention.

I also watched The Ballad of Lefty Brown. I thought it was a pretty good flick as well.

holmes168
11-24-2017, 08:39 AM
We regularly did PT runs in negative degree weather at FT Drum- outside of frozen nose hairs, nobody suffered ill effects. The worst was -50 wind chill which became a source of pride after running in it for four miles.
We did plenty of training in negative temperatures and never had any issues outside of being cold.

Dagga Boy
11-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Girlfriend was a Taxidermist. She says they had a whole building full of them, but they were simply called “hooks”. Said she never heard of anyone dragging animals with them. In her world it was a daily use tool.

Lost River
11-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Girlfriend was a Taxidermist. She says they had a whole building full of them, but they were simply called “hooks”. Said she never heard of anyone dragging animals with them. In her world it was a daily use tool.

Neither have I.

I think you might have misread what was written.

Nobody drags an animal with a gambrel. It is left in the back of the rig. For that matter, If you are going to skin an animal for its fur, dragging it (unless it is over snow) is generally not advised, as it is not good for the pelt.

If you look behind the 12 year old with her .45 tucked behind her mounted shooting buckle, you will note the banister has an unlucky Wile E. Coyote, and a few cousins hanging out..

https://i.imgur.com/2FtqoD6.jpg?1

Back when pelts were worth bothering with it was time well spent. These days, not so much.

https://i.imgur.com/NVQ6mKs.jpg

JSGlock34
11-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the recommendation; good movie.

"Why you flanking me?"

That scene escalated quickly.

Cory
11-24-2017, 05:30 PM

I confess I had to look it up. After seeing it, I immediately recognized it. Just never knew the name. Just called it a hanger.

-Cory

Lester Polfus
11-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Neither have I.

I think you might have misread what was written.

Nobody drags an animal with a gambrel. It is left in the back of the rig. For that matter, If you are going to skin an animal for its fur, dragging it (unless it is over snow) is generally not advised, as it is not good for the pelt.

If you look behind the 12 year old with her .45 tucked behind her mounted shooting buckle, you will note the banister has an unlucky Wile E. Coyote, and a few cousins hanging out..

https://i.imgur.com/2FtqoD6.jpg?1

Back when pelts were worth bothering with it was time well spent. These days, not so much.

https://i.imgur.com/NVQ6mKs.jpg

I do for the occasional yote here on the property and was disappointed to find they really aren't worth the effort to skin and sell.

I've a gambrel hanging in my garage, right over a kiddie pool, but sadly havent used it this year.

littlejerry
11-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Did anyone else notice the Nightforce MOAR reticle when he was hunting?

LittleLebowski
11-25-2017, 01:22 AM

You need to get a nice 22-250 and take that gal coyote hunting before she leaves you.

Dagga Boy
11-25-2017, 11:59 AM
You need to get a nice 22-250 and take that gal coyote hunting before she leaves you.

She is liking the 3D Archery range over the swimming pool, bass fishing on the golf course, and 76 degrees on thanksgiving. She has killed enough deer, elk, coyotes and craploads of birds for a lifetime. Now.....all she wants to do is here is hunt hogs (which I can find easily) and likes watching me work the predators on my world in downtown Dallas. I think after 25 years of having to kill coyotes to protect your livestock, digging the vehicle out of snow before work, and being glued to all that owning a real ranch entails, she is liking retirement life in a gated community. If nothing else, my house looks like it should now...plus, most of the chairs are covered with pelts.

JodyH
11-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the recommendation; good movie.

"Why you flanking me?"

That scene escalated quickly.
Yup...
I'm thinking I'd of told "Ms. FBI" to get fucked if I was "Deputy Switched On".

El Cid
11-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Yup...
I'm thinking I'd of told "Ms. FBI" to get fucked if I was "Deputy Switched On".

SPOILER ALERT:

I suspect that short speech was more for dramatic effect than anything else. None of the Feds (or state/local LEO's for that matter) I've worked with would've allowed a security guard to be at low ready with a long gun like that. That was a huge red flag when he didn't sling or stow it.

Trukinjp13
11-28-2017, 08:59 PM
I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen in a long time. Great story, no bullshit. And when it switched on shit got real.

Ed L
11-28-2017, 10:00 PM
I've heard that the popularity of the Marlin Rifle that Jeremy Renner used in the film soared and are now hard to find.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 08:39 AM
I've heard that the popularity of the Marlin Rifle that Jeremy Renner used in the film soared and are now hard to find.

I believe a similar instance from Jurassic World occurred.

JHC
11-29-2017, 12:40 PM

That's GREAT to hear! Maybe Marlin will bring back and 1894 Guide Gun in that format too! (see the Lever Action thread re-animated).

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
That's GREAT to hear! Maybe Marlin will bring back and 1894 Guide Gun in that format too! (see the Lever Action thread re-animated).

I love me some lever actions! I still need to pick up a 45/70. Because things.

Bodhi
11-30-2017, 03:05 PM
I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen in a long time. Great story, no bullshit. And when it switched on shit got real.

Same. Best film I’ve seen this year. Excellent casting and directing. The cinematography was breathtaking as was the two actresses playing Native American women. They were both stunning looking women.

UNK
11-30-2017, 06:10 PM
She is liking the 3D Archery range over the swimming pool, bass fishing on the golf course, and 76 degrees on thanksgiving. She has killed enough deer, elk, coyotes and craploads of birds for a lifetime. Now.....all she wants to do is here is hunt hogs (which I can find easily) and likes watching me work the predators on my world in downtown Dallas. I think after 25 years of having to kill coyotes to protect your livestock, digging the vehicle out of snow before work, and being glued to all that owning a real ranch entails, she is liking retirement life in a gated community. If nothing else, my house looks like it should now...plus, most of the chairs are covered with pelts.
Sounds like the perfect place for the next local PETA meeting or local liberal democrat meeting.The results would surely be interesting.

ranger
11-30-2017, 11:28 PM
Wife and I watched Wind River tonight - rent from Redbox. It was excellent. I went hunting 2 years in a row in Wyoming and besides the movie I enjoyed the cinematography of the country.

DocGKR
12-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Keep in mind the wound ballistic effects from the lever action that are depicted in the final shootout scene might be a bit exaggerated....

Lester Polfus
12-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Keep in mind the wound ballistic effects from the lever action that are depicted in the final shootout scene might be a bit exaggerated....

You mean if I shoot a man with a .45-70, he won't go flying across a trailer home? But what about the ENERGY DUMP doc? :p

Dagga Boy
12-01-2017, 01:35 PM

Yea, but it made me happy as a movie goer.

DocGKR
12-01-2017, 03:13 PM
It is a nice reminder as to the significant capabilities of a good lever gun in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. I suspect during the history of our Nation, more Americans have been killed by lever guns than AR15's...

Trukinjp13
12-01-2017, 03:17 PM
I loved the lead up to that. When he is loading the rounds. I watched that and was like that man is getting ready to hunt some 2 legged critters.

Shotgun
12-01-2017, 04:02 PM

I was wondering about that. In the times I have shot deer and hogs with a .270 or .308 I have never seen an animal get knocked back like in the movie from bullet impact. The bullet just goes all the way through without a football tackle type impact knocking a body several feet back.

Yea, but it made me happy as a movie goer.

Indeed.

JohnO
12-01-2017, 05:44 PM
You mean if I shoot a man with a .45-70, he won't go flying across a trailer home? But what about the ENERGY DUMP doc? :p

The Massive "Energy Dump" is always impressive when "accurately" depicted by the good folks in Hollywood. Just ask the stuntmen. I'm sure they don't look forward to taking a 45/70 round. I wonder what the current union rate is for getting your heart & lungs turned into bouillabaisse, blown clear out of your carcass and thrown seven feet through the air? The retakes must really suck.

No matter it's a movie and I enjoyed it. Some good old fashioned fantasy and escapism is fine. I can just sit back and enjoy the show.

JHC
12-01-2017, 06:08 PM

But only a bit. :D

RJ
12-03-2017, 06:32 PM
All of a sudden I think I need a Marlin .45-70.

Damn. Excellent film; one of the best I’ve seen in a while.

David S.
12-03-2017, 07:50 PM

You have a better excuse more valid justification for a "truck gun" than most.

Totem Polar
12-03-2017, 08:33 PM
So long as we are on the subject; under "completed projects:"

https://grizzlycustom.com/product/1895-outback-guide-stainless-scout/

Just saying.

Paltares8
12-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Finally saw this, mostly because of the recommendations here. I really liked it, more than I thought I would. I've never really liked Jeremy Renner's acting much, but I guess that has been more because of the writing or directing, because I thought he was pretty good in this. That shoot out at the trailers was one of the only parts that took me out of the movie.

JodyH
12-03-2017, 08:50 PM
That shoot out at the trailers was one of the only parts that took me out of the movie.
I agree that part of the storyline was very weak, I think it could have been done much more realistically yet still advanced the same narrative.

pangloss
12-04-2017, 09:45 AM
I was wondering about that. In the times I have shot deer and hogs with a .270 or .308 I have never seen an animal get knocked back like in the movie from bullet impact. The bullet just goes all the way through without a football tackle type impact knocking a body several feet back.

A few years ago, I shot a small deer through the neck with a .270 Win. The bullet spun the deer close to 180 degrees and broke both legs on the off side of the body. That was the most remarkable impact I've seen but certainly less dramatic than the movies.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
12-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Really good movie overall.

Only bad part was watching Elizabeth Olsen reload faster than me. I'll choose to chalk that up to "Hollywood Magic".

Thanks for the recommendation.

JHC
12-05-2017, 06:11 AM

Only bad part was watching Elizabeth Olsen reload faster than me. I'll choose to chalk that up to "Hollywood Magic".

From under a winter parka! I thought the struggling reloads in winter clothing during the big shootout were pretty well depicted.

JHC
12-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Back to the FBI agent played by Olsen. I didn't feel like she dragged down the movie. By contrast, while I love the movie Sicario, own it and have watched it a few times and will watch it again, both FBI agents in that movie were the weak link overall IMO. Olsen did a lot better I think.

Hambo
12-05-2017, 06:48 AM

So you can shoot through your Airstream?

RJ
12-05-2017, 07:10 AM
So you can shoot through your Airstream?

Well, you know, in case of mountain lions in the RV Park. I mean, who doesn’t need one of those rifles? [emoji4]

As an aside, and I’m probably betraying my age, but every kid I knew growing up wanted a Winchester 1892 (?) carried by Lucas McCain (Chuck Connors) in the TV series The Rifleman. Come to think of it, I still want one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/ccd465e2d2a48dd5046f4bf96af0edf9.jpg

JodyH
12-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Back to the FBI agent played by Olsen. I didn't feel like she dragged down the movie. By contrast, while I love the movie Sicario, own it and have watched it a few times and will watch it again, both FBI agents in that movie were the weak link overall IMO. Olsen did a lot better I think.
Real FBI Agents are usually the weak link wherever they are, so it's just good character acting.

jlw
12-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Real FBI Agents are usually the weak link wherever they are, so it's just good character acting.
[emoji14]

I’ve had my experience with the Hollywood stereotypical FBI agent that says “I’m federal” as his answer to everything, but the four agents currently in the local RA are outstanding. Repeat, outstanding.

Dagga Boy
12-05-2017, 11:49 AM

I find this to be regional. I find most that I liked were disliked within their organization.

blues
12-05-2017, 12:47 PM
I find this to be regional. I find most that I liked were disliked within their organization.

I think that is probably true of most agencies. There are so many things the bosses and management don't like that it would be hard to find a decent guy both doing his job and cozying up with other outfits that wasn't a black sheep in his own agency for, (at least), parochial reasons.

I think that's largely why I enjoyed working in or alongside multi-agency task forces so much, like HIDTA, Florida Joint Task Group, JTTF. Nothing like sharing one another's jurisdictions to actually get something done without the eternal pissing and moaning over whose case it is and who gets the stat, let alone the proceeds.

(Of course this is a self-serving statement on my part since I've never had a SAC I failed to lock horns with for one reason or another.)

Zincwarrior
12-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Well, in their defense, they literally had no clue what was going on. They were police-who enforce laws and catch bad guys- being taken along on a very strange insertion mission (um just fly in with a helicopter) to assassinate someone. Imagine taking the local sheriff on what he thinks is a liason on a drug bust and dropping him in to kill Bin Laden. They'd be a little disoriented too (not to mention screaming that this was illegal).

RJ
12-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Well, in their defense, they literally had no clue what was going on. They were police-who enforce laws and catch bad guys- being taken along on a very strange insertion mission (um just fly in with a helicopter) to assassinate someone. Imagine taking the local sheriff on what he thinks is a liason on a drug bust and dropping him in to kill Bin Laden. They'd be a little disoriented too (not to mention screaming that this was illegal).

That was pretty much how I interpreted (as a civilian) the two FBI Agents in Sicario. Good folks just confused AF about the CIA operating inside the US.

This was echoed at the end of the movie, as Kate wrestled with what just happened.

Comment: did I read that the director of WR was one of the writers of Sicario?

blues
12-05-2017, 02:30 PM
That was pretty much how I interpreted (as a civilian) the two FBI Agents in Sicario. Good folks just confused AF about the CIA operating inside the US.

Been there (very) personally...it wasn't pretty and not without fallout.

The following links relate to an investigation run by myself and my DEA co-case agent...as well as another Customs agent (who worked a parallel case from another group).

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/20/world/anti-drug-unit-of-cia-sent-ton-of-cocaine-to-us-in-1990.html

https://www.scribd.com/document/131231070/60-MINUTES-Head-of-DEA-Robert-Bonner-Says-CIA-Smuggled-Drugs

To say it was an eye-opening experience would be a gross understatement. A lot of careers were wrecked on these rocks.

ETA: What's revealed in the NY Times article and the 60 Minutes interview of Judge Bonner is just the tip of the iceberg.
I was also able to demonstrate the involvement of the Cuban government in the trafficking conspiracy via a foreign gov't source I recruited. It also involved local police corruption in regard to protecting and keeping the U.S. based traffickers informed. A long tale of woe which took a few years to successfully unravel completely...and still, not nearly enough was done about it.

RJ
12-05-2017, 02:42 PM

The following links relate to an investigation run by myself and my DEA co-case agent...as well as another Customs agent (who worked a parallel case from another group).

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/20/world/anti-drug-unit-of-cia-sent-ton-of-cocaine-to-us-in-1990.html

https://www.scribd.com/document/131231070/60-MINUTES-Head-of-DEA-Robert-Bonner-Says-CIA-Smuggled-Drugs

To say it was an eye-opening experience would be a gross understatement. A lot of careers were wrecked on these rocks.

Holy shit.

Robinson
12-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Holy shit.

That's the exact reaction I had.

RoyGBiv
12-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Hard to believe this hasn't been made into a movie yet...

JHC
12-05-2017, 03:34 PM

ETA: What's revealed in the NY Times article and the 60 Minutes interview of Judge Bonner is just the tip of the iceberg.
I was also able to demonstrate the involvement of the Cuban government in the trafficking conspiracy via a foreign gov't source I recruited. It also involved local police corruption in regard to protecting and keeping the U.S. based traffickers informed. A long tale of woe which took a few years to successfully unravel completely...and still, not nearly enough was done about it.

Art imitates life! Wow!

blues
12-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Hard to believe this hasn't been made into a movie yet...

The closest stuff I've seen that semi-relates is "The Infiltrator" portrayed by Brian Cranston, a case I worked on,...and the mention of "Operation Cornerstone" and one of the agents in my office on the current season of "Narcos" (Netflix)...another operation I spent considerable time working on.

"Narcos" portrays a lot of the underlying tension between the DEA and CIA during the relevant period. It wasn't pretty.

If anything was ever considered in the matter I brought up, it wasn't mentioned to me. But that wouldn't be a huge surprise as I wasn't even informed that Bonner would be discussing our case on 60 Minutes.

In fact, my wife and I still crack up when we recall that we just happened to have the show on that particular evening when I see and hear Bonner and Wallace discussing the investigation. My jaw about dropped when I turned to my wife and exclaimed: "Hey, WTF, that's my case!"

C'est la vie.

Totem Polar
12-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Been there (very) personally...it wasn't pretty...

Dang. Far out, dude.

RoyGBiv
12-05-2017, 03:49 PM
The closest stuff I've seen that semi-relates is "The Infiltrator" portrayed by Brian Cranston, a case I worked on
That was a great movie. Real life can be that way, especially COP life, it seems.

blues
12-05-2017, 03:53 PM
That was a great movie. Real life can be that way, especially COP life, it seems.

They took a bit of license in the film, (so it's not entirely historically accurate), and Cranston was a bit long in the tooth...but yeah, it was a fun ride and got a lot of the feel of the case.

HCM
12-05-2017, 10:29 PM

While I enjoy some of the shooting scenes as much as the next guy, especially the border scene, there is nothing remotely realistic about the film Sicario.

http://youtu.be/4FFG1NqKzCg

HCM
12-05-2017, 10:30 PM

Damn. Excellent film; one of the best I’ve seen in a while.

I have one. A guide gun. You’re welcome to shoot it next time you come through town.

LittleLebowski
12-06-2017, 06:13 AM

I know you threw in a smilie and I get that, but just wanted to say that this is a generalization. There's a couple FBI agents I'd lay it on the line for, no question. These guys are rabid supporters of our Constitution.

JHC
12-06-2017, 07:31 AM
While I enjoy some of the shooting scenes as much as the next guy, especially the border scene, there is nothing remotely realistic about the film Sicario.

http://youtu.be/4FFG1NqKzCg

Cool! Realism is about last on my list of what I dig about movies. I didn't like their characters (either the drama queen FBI agent or the terminally despairing one). I really liked The Hurt Locker for it's characters too. Nothing realistic there.

In Hell or High Water I loved the story, and most of the characters. But the older brother was catastrophically badly cast IMO and hurt half the scenes.

steaknvodka
02-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Didn't get to go watch it and it looks like it's the last weekend for it at my local theater. Maybe it'll be showing up in Colorado Springs for a bit longer. I'll probably just wait for it to hit Netflix or Amazon.

Looks like it just hit Netflix. Great timing for me, I'll have some forced downtime over the next few days.

RoyGBiv
02-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Looks like it just hit Netflix. Great timing for me, I'll have some forced downtime over the next few days.

Redbox for less than $2...
Watched it again on an AA flight a few weeks ago..

StraitR
03-04-2018, 12:12 AM
The wife and I watched it tonight on Netflix. We both enjoyed it. Will watch again.

Trukinjp13
03-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Watched this again. Still a really great movie. Once again made me want a 45/70. The scenery, the grittiness, the violence when it comes. Loved it.

blues
03-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Watched this again. Still a really great movie. Once again made me want a 45/70. The scenery, the grittiness, the violence when it comes. Loved it.

That Wind River country has some very deep spiritual power...I speak from firsthand experience (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23544-Karma-Premonition-or-Coincidence&p=540887&viewfull=1#post540887).

Bigghoss
03-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Gosh that was a good ending. That SOB got off a lot easier than I would have let him though.

.45-70 FTMFW!

11B10
03-14-2018, 06:13 PM
That Wind River country has some very deep spiritual power...I speak from firsthand experience (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23544-Karma-Premonition-or-Coincidence&p=540887&viewfull=1#post540887).

blues, ya still got it! Not only did I revisit the post you referenced, I liked it even more this time. Just great stuff.

blues
03-14-2018, 07:10 PM
blues, ya still got it! Not only did I revisit the post you referenced, I liked it even more this time. Just great stuff.

Thank you, my friend. I only wish I had the words to describe it properly. It was one of those moments in your life when you know you've been part of something way bigger than yourself. (It was almost like getting a glimpse behind the curtain.)

rd62
03-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Watched it last night. Great flick. Would definitely watch again.

MEH
03-15-2018, 09:28 AM
So I watched it last night specifically because of this thread. Definitely well worth the time.

Sensei
03-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Saw it yesterday. Good movie.

GyroF-16
03-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Saw it in the theater months ago due to this thread’s recommendation.
Watched it again tonight on the iPad on the road.
Still good.

“Luck don’t live out here...”

FYI- maybe not for the more sensitive wives- the rape scene, while not especially graphic, would upset my wife.

JHC
03-17-2018, 05:12 AM
"That was pretty cowboy huh?"

"Ahh that was all Arapahoe."

Such great writing. It makes the movie so enjoyable in repeat viewings. Last night was five maybe. ;)

LittleLebowski
03-17-2018, 12:02 PM
"That was pretty cowboy huh?"

"Ahh that was all Arapahoe."

Such great writing. It makes the movie so enjoyable in repeat viewings. Last night was five maybe. ;)

“I need to get this shit off of my face” :D

JHC
03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
“I need to get this shit off of my face” :D

"The phone rang today. Which is never good. But today it was."

Martin is my favorite character

mmc45414
03-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Martin is my favorite character
"Then get off of my porch and go do it..."

I also snowmobile (but flatland in MI) My buddy stopped by last weekend, I had the movie on while tinkering in the basement (code for reloading ammo...), after the reloading scene my friend said something to the effect of he understood the appeal of the movie for me :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Earlymonk
03-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Given the enthusiasm here--and the availability on Netflix--I dove in last night, staying up WAY past my bedtime...file under "two hours lost forever." :D

Gotta say, gents, this one felt like a serious Coen Brothers fan doing his best imitation and falling really short. IMHO, this was a TV version of No County for Old Men, and Taylor Sheridan is no Cormac McCarthy.

The pew pew stuff also struck me as goofy: Jane's pistol v. shotgun charge down a fatal funnel, the circle jerk 10-man standoff at the drill site, the cross-room air ratchet pulls from the impact of the mighty .45-70, etc.

Granted there were a few good lines, but overall--both in the writing and the gunplay--I found this one pretty lacking. Keep the recommendations coming, though; that's what makes horse races.

blues
03-18-2018, 09:04 AM
^^^Cormac McCarthy is one of the giants of literature of the past few decades. One of my favorite authors. You have good taste, my western NC neighbor.

FPS
04-05-2018, 01:46 AM
I didnt think they made movies with that much heart anymore. Incredible movie and grateful for the recommendation.

lwt16
04-05-2018, 07:14 AM
FYI- maybe not for the more sensitive wives- the rape scene, while not especially graphic, would upset my wife.

Yes, my wife was all about the flick until that scene. She got up and left the room.

Lester Polfus
04-05-2018, 04:15 PM

That scene upset ME. After seeing that scene, I wanted to see some assholes die.

mmc45414
04-05-2018, 04:24 PM
After seeing that scene, I wanted to see some assholes die.Ya got your wish...

Wendell
04-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Given the enthusiasm here--and the availability on Netflix--I dove in last night, staying up WAY past my bedtime...file under "two hours lost forever." :D

Gotta say, gents, this one felt like a serious Coen Brothers fan doing his best imitation and falling really short. IMHO, this was a TV version of No County for Old Men, and Taylor Sheridan is no Cormac McCarthy.

The pew pew stuff also struck me as goofy: Jane's pistol v. shotgun charge down a fatal funnel, the circle jerk 10-man standoff at the drill site, the cross-room air ratchet pulls from the impact of the mighty .45-70, etc.

Granted there were a few good lines, but overall--both in the writing and the gunplay--I found this one pretty lacking. Keep the recommendations coming, though; that's what makes horse races.

Where you went wrong was watching it on a television. The leading man was Jeremy Renner, yes, but the real star was the great wide open...the wilderness, the snow, and the terrain...a television can't do that.

BIG screens and 3-D were made for movies like this (and Avatar).

blues
04-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Where you went wrong was watching it on a television. The leading man was Jeremy Renner, yes, but the real star was the great wide open...the wilderness, the snow, and the terrain...a television can't do that.

BIG screens and 3-D were made for movies like this (and Avatar).

Or better yet, get out and see it from the top:

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2006/01/scr-Mt.Bonneville.jpg

(View from the summit of Mt. Bonneville, Wind River Range, Summer, 1974)

Earlymonk
04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Where you went wrong was watching it on a television.

I'll bet experiencing that scenery on a bigger scale would have been excellent, Wendell, but even IMAX wouldn't have fixed some of my other objections! :)

Or better yet, get out and see it from the top:
(View from the summit of Mt. Bonneville, Wind River Range, Summer, 1974)

Now you're talking, blues! Epic throwback right there! ::thumbs up::

blues
04-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Now you're talking, blues! Epic throwback right there! ::thumbs up::

Thank you, neighbor! It was a true rite of passage for me, a month or two after graduating college.

It's tinged with the bittersweet memory of Scott Fischer, (lost on Everest twenty-two years later), who was an assistant instructor on that five week climbing expedition in the Winds.

JHC
06-05-2018, 07:00 AM
See see? See that? That's why Cory is rolling with a .45-70. ;)

Wind River grizzly charge.

http://www.localnews8.com/lifestyle/animals/officials-wyoming-grizzly-killed-in-encounter-with-hikers/749273256

Bigghoss
06-05-2018, 07:55 AM
See see? See that? That's why Cory is rolling with a .45-70. ;)

Wind River grizzly charge.

http://www.localnews8.com/lifestyle/animals/officials-wyoming-grizzly-killed-in-encounter-with-hikers/749273256

Cool as the .45/70 is, I think the 1894 CST (.357, threaded barrel) would handle my needs.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/styles/mar_catalog_product/public/70438_1894_CSBL_Threaded_right-no-Silencer.png?itok=-UXQs9Jn

JHC
06-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Cool as the .45/70 is, I think the 1894 CST (.357, threaded barrel) would handle my needs.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/styles/mar_catalog_product/public/70438_1894_CSBL_Threaded_right-no-Silencer.png?itok=-UXQs9Jn

+1 Same here. .45-70 is more than I want to submit my retinas too. I want the laminated stocked .44 version I'm calling Wind River Lite.

Dagga Boy
06-05-2018, 08:31 AM
+1 Same here. .45-70 is more than I want to submit my retinas too. I want the laminated stocked .44 version I'm calling Wind River Lite.

No, just no. How about Wind drinking fountain. Wind Spilled cup of water. Yeesh. 45-70 Magnum or go home....;-)

JHC
06-05-2018, 08:34 AM
No, just no. How about Wind drinking fountain. Wind Spilled cup of water. Yeesh. 45-70 Magnum or go home....;-)

Oh whaddya want? I drive an Outback for fucksakes. :D

Bigghoss
06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

.357 mag will handle anything I'm likely to run into here in southern Colorado and I can afford to shoot it. Then again...

I have decided that dropping an ISIS asshole with a 45-70 Thunder Stick will get a standing ovation in Valhalla.

So there's that.

FWIW I do have an H&R single shot in .45-70. If I recall the official unloaded weight is 6.75lbs. Doesn't kick nearly as bad as I expected but I haven't run anything crazy like Buffalo Bore through it.

Dagga Boy
06-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Oh whaddya want? I drive an Outback for fucksakes. :D

Remember, my wife is the tracker and I m the female FBI agent in that movie, so I get that.....but Lord I do love me some 45-70. Dropping some evil doer by deploying a 45-70 from a Subaru would make up for a lot.

Mark D
06-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Spoiler Alert:

I don't claim to be tactical expert, but the gun fights seemed extremely silly to me too. Anyone with a lick of sense would have avoided that sh!tfight at at the drill rig. Even the local deputy sensed danger, but walked further into the trap for some unknown reason. (As previously pointed out by Jody and others).

And at the previous fight, at the house, it really stretched plausibility that an FBI agent could be involved in an OIS and just keep rolling on without any input or follow-up from her management.

The whole death by inhaling cold air was BS too.

I did like the characters, scenery, and the story arc though. If the gunfights and cold weather injuries had been tweaked just a little bit, the movie would have been much, much better. Having said that, I did watch it twice.

blues
06-05-2018, 06:31 PM
^^^I'll admit that there was more suspension of reality required than I was prepared for, given the high praise. One of these days I'll watch it a second time.

mmc45414
06-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Well, when a movie has snowmobiles, a 45-70 and reloading equipment, they are gonna have to screw up a lotta things to spoil my fun :)

ETA: I spent my formative years watching Efrem Zimbalist Jr. shoot down helicopters with a J-frame, so Wind River wasn't a big leap for me... :)

Hambo
06-05-2018, 07:26 PM
FWIW I do have an H&R single shot in .45-70. If I recall the official unloaded weight is 6.75lbs. Doesn't kick nearly as bad as I expected but I haven't run anything crazy like Buffalo Bore through it.

The sum of my .45-70 experience is an H&R, a High Wall, and a Henry. The Winchester was tame but with BP loads. The Henry was not bad at all. The H&R, loaded with some form of Hornady ammo, was real far from fun.

If Henry rifles had a loading gate I'd have run to the gun shop to buy one.

Die FliperMas
06-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Great flick and good entertainment. Worth watching.

Die FliperMas
06-06-2018, 07:08 AM
I should have mentioned that Wind river is good entertainment only. You will have to enter the fantasy land of Hollywood/Netflix to enjoy it. If you are looking for any kind of "realistic" gun fighting or gun handling or anything that even remotely resembles our art you will likely be disappointed with Wind river. Sorry.

Robinson
06-06-2018, 09:18 AM
It's not about realism, it's about putting a compelling story/scene on the screen. Some movies, like Wind River, manage to do it in a way that isn't so absurdly bad that it turns you off the film. The same thoughts went through my mind about the gunfights, but I still enjoyed the movie. And face it, compared to most other films the gun stuff comes across fairly well. The number of movies showing realistic hand to hand fighting is pretty small too, but sometimes it's done fairly well even if not realistically.

How entertaining would a realistic gunfight be to watch?

Robinson
06-06-2018, 09:22 AM
The sum of my .45-70 experience is an H&R, a High Wall, and a Henry. The Winchester was tame but with BP loads. The Henry was not bad at all. The H&R, loaded with some form of Hornady ammo, was real far from fun.

If Henry rifles had a loading gate I'd have run to the gun shop to buy one.

A fella let me put a cylinder full of rounds through his .45-70 BFR once and it was great fun. More of a push back against the hand instead of muzzle flip. If I still lived in a rural area and didn't have hearing problems I would definitely own a .45-70 lever gun.

HCM
12-07-2018, 09:57 PM
https://youtu.be/uDseOc_KBLI

Otaku.edc
01-04-2019, 10:14 PM
A film with its own thread?

Had to check it out.

A fine film.

0ddl0t
05-20-2019, 07:49 AM
What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch? And did LE really need to call in a super special tracker just to follow snowmobile tracks in virgin powder?

Rex G
05-20-2019, 07:03 PM
What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch?

Eco-terrorists or anti-pipeline leftists, perhaps? Islamist terrorists? I am serious. Critical infrastructure, both public and private, is targeted by a range of malcontents.

Gray01
05-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Eco-terrorists or anti-pipeline leftists, perhaps? Islamist terrorists? I am serious. Critical infrastructure, both public and private, is targeted by a range of malcontents.

And in some locales, one of the most difficult tasks is convincing both the utility managers and the local government that it is a genuine threat.

Some of the reluctance is symbiotic; avoidance relieves individuals and organizations from taking action that are potentially controversial, and invariably involves increased budgeting.

0ddl0t
05-20-2019, 07:59 PM

I never encountered any security personnel at a rig during my stint in the North Dakota oil fields. In fact, I rarely came across a closed gate!

A malcontent could make a localized mess, sure, but the regular workers made plenty of messes of their own. And unless you hit a good portion of the 1,000 rigs in the US, you wouldn't make a dint in the supply.

Now if there was some unsual demonstration going on, like the Dakota Access Pipeline protests, security might make sense. But that level of nearby unrest should at least rate a mention in the plot. Besides, the real world DAPL confrontations were more like random truck drivers waving a pistol at a crowd so they could leave their terminal (skip to ~1:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwG2Pk5Hbm4

OnionsAndDragons
05-20-2019, 08:05 PM
I can’t recall, but in the movie wasn’t the oil facility and the crime scene on the res? That would likely be the reason or justification for private contract security.

0ddl0t
05-20-2019, 08:10 PM
I can’t recall, but in the movie wasn’t the oil facility and the crime scene on the res? That would likely be the reason or justification for private contract security.

It was, but lots of rigs are on reservations. The tribes lease the rights to the oil companies in exchange for a percentage -- they wouldn't want to mess with that gravy-train (aside from sometimes requiring a certain percentage of oil workers be hired from that tribe).

mmc45414
05-20-2019, 08:11 PM
There are plenty of things to pick apart in this movie, but it checked several boxes for me:
Snowmobiles? Check!
Big Bore Scout Rifle? Check!
Reloading Press? Check!
4-Wheel Drive Truck? Check!
Thong Underwear? Check!

Bigghoss
05-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Somebody had to rape the girl.
Somebody had to catch .45-70 slugs.
Somebody had to move the story along.

Actually, I suppose any roughneck could have done that.

Whatever, dudes got surprised with some 405's.

HCM
05-20-2019, 11:59 PM
What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch? And did LE really need to call in a super special tracker just to follow snowmobile tracks in virgin powder?

They were guarding against kill joys who don’t understand movies are entertainment and sometimes use improbable pretexts to move stories along.

0ddl0t
05-21-2019, 12:58 AM
They were guarding against kill joys who don’t understand movies are entertainment and sometimes use improbable pretexts to move stories along.

I'm more willing to suspend disbelief when it doesn't coincide with a political agenda. Strip away the guns and Wind River is typical left-wing Hollywood fare criticizing rural lifestyles and calling for bigger government.

The villains could just as easily have been truck drivers, mechanics, or (statistically the most likely) fellow Native Americans. But they were gun-toting blue collar workers in the mineral extraction business. And the solution is apparently for the admittedly ill-prepared FBI to double-down enforcement on reservations?

Medusa
05-21-2019, 01:23 AM
We watched this tonight. Pretty ok movie.

OnionsAndDragons
05-21-2019, 01:25 AM
It was, but lots of rigs are on reservations. The tribes lease the rights to the oil companies in exchange for a percentage -- they wouldn't want to mess with that gravy-train (aside from sometimes requiring a certain percentage of oil workers be hired from that tribe).

I wasn’t implying expectation of trouble from the indigenous people. Just to be clear.

I was thinking more along the lines of valuable stuff, low local LE resources, possibly wanting a group to keep roughnecks mostly in line, etc.

JHC
05-21-2019, 06:10 AM
A film with its own thread?

Had to check it out.

A fine film.

Superb writing.

"Just take the pain Martin. You hear me? You take it." (in context)

LittleLebowski
05-21-2019, 07:03 AM
I'm more willing to suspend disbelief when it doesn't coincide with a political agenda. Strip away the guns and Wind River is typical left-wing Hollywood fare criticizing rural lifestyles and calling for bigger government.

The villains could just as easily have been truck drivers, mechanics, or (statistically the most likely) fellow Native Americans. But they were gun-toting blue collar workers in the mineral extraction business. And the solution is apparently for the admittedly ill-prepared FBI to double-down enforcement on reservations?

Meh, I'm about 95% certain that the writer is one of us given is his work on the Sicario series, this movie, and the Yellowstone series. I know it is indeed normal for Hollywood to have an anti white male/anti rural bias, but I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/movies/article164729822.html

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/movies/vygfnp/picture164729817/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/wind%20river%20taylor%20sheridan%202

mmc45414
05-21-2019, 07:15 AM
I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.
I like the way the star of the movie is just quietly lurking in the background...

0ddl0t
05-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Meh, I'm about 95% certain that the writer is one of us given is his work on the Sicario series, this movie, and the Yellowstone series. I know it is indeed normal for Hollywood to have an anti white male/anti rural bias, but I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/movies/article164729822.html

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/movies/vygfnp/picture164729817/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/wind%20river%20taylor%20sheridan%202

I haven't seen Sicario or Yellowstone, but Hell or High Water was pretty liberal themed: dying mother couldn't get the medical care she needed with her evil insurance so the evil bank gives her a loan she can't repay - both problems just begging for big government fixes! Bonus: all the armed civilians were ineffectual doofuses/liabilities throughout the movie.

LittleLebowski
05-21-2019, 07:35 AM
I haven't seen Sicario or Yellowstone, but Hell or High Water was pretty liberal themed: dying mother couldn't get the medical care she needed with her evil insurance so the evil bank gives her a loan she can't repay - both problems just begging for big government fixes! Bonus: all the armed civilians were ineffectual doofuses/liabilities throughout the movie.

Not being flippant, we can just disagree and drive on :cool:

jlw
05-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Does everything have to revert to politics?

Drang
05-23-2019, 06:49 PM

First post on the Internet? :p

0ddl0t
05-23-2019, 08:26 PM

I really wish it didn't. I'm not even that conservative, but I just can't help noticing how liberal hollywood is and how subversive they have become about it. For instance, did you know that while a cartoon about Christmas with Santa or Easter with a bunny can be rated G, any depiction of biblical Jesus bumps the rating to PG for "thematic elements"?

/hijack

jlw
05-30-2019, 09:18 PM
The righteous smiting of bad guys, especially when done with leverguns, transcends politics.

SeriousStudent
05-30-2019, 10:32 PM
The righteous smiting of bad guys, especially when done with leverguns, transcends politics.

Especially when done with a righteous caliber, such as the 45-70.

JHC
05-31-2019, 05:47 AM
I really wish it didn't. I'm not even that conservative, but I just can't help noticing how liberal hollywood is and how subversive they have become about it. For instance, did you know that while a cartoon about Christmas with Santa or Easter with a bunny can be rated G, any depiction of biblical Jesus bumps the rating to PG for "thematic elements"?

/hijack

And yet several entire genre's of movies reinforce how important it can be to have a gun. One can't read into it that that is their intent, and the visa versa applies a lot of the time. A lot is in the eye of the beholder.

Trukinjp13
05-31-2019, 08:06 AM

I did not pick up on that. Seemed more like the theme they were trying to drive, Alberto touched on when they were across from the bank.

And at the end of the day, desperate people doing dangerous things. Outlaws being Outlaws.

I absolutely love this guys work. Wind River is one of my favorite movies.