PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a good AIWB

landsharkleather
01-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi guys,

I am a new member and I have been reading the threads on AIWB. I am trying to build a quality AIWB. I don't carry this way so I need input in the design. Specificly what works and what doesn't.

I have made one or two and am not 100% sure I have gotten it right. SO I have questions for the experts:

1. It seems that some makers build them with no cant and some with an adjustable cant and some with a negative cant. What do you say? Do most people go with no cant? Seems to me that a slight negative cant would be helpfull in pushing the muzzel away from your leg so it sits right between your thigh and your man parts.

2. Belt loops, what is easier for you guys, one large loop with one snap to deal with, two small loops with two snaps or a belt clip?

3. In most holsters thinner is better. But some of you seem to beef of part of the holster to make it push more into your side. This makes the holster thicker - is that worth the trade off?

4. Any other input you think I should know.

PLease also note that I am just in the design process and have nothing to sell or show or give to you to try. This is not a an attempt to get buisness. This is a legitimate way to try and make something worth making.

If this offends the moderator please deleate and please take no ofense at my efforts to educate myself.

Thanks Rob

ToddG
01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
1. It seems that some makers build them with no cant and some with an adjustable cant and some with a negative cant. What do you say? Do most people go with no cant? Seems to me that a slight negative cant would be helpfull in pushing the muzzel away from your leg so it sits right between your thigh and your man parts.

Having tried all three types, I personally prefer straight drop by a wide margin. While I appreciate the comfort and concealment benefits some see with reverse cant, it dramatically compromises my draw because instead of bringing the gun straight up I'm forced to pull the gun first away from my body and then push it back toward my centerline.

2. Belt loops, what is easier for you guys, one large loop with one snap to deal with, two small loops with two snaps or a belt clip?

The best solution I've seen so far has been a single rigid kydex loop.

3. In most holsters thinner is better. But some of you seem to beef of part of the holster to make it push more into your side. This makes the holster thicker - is that worth the trade off?

Obviously yes. Thinner is better if the holster remains concealable and comfortable. But in order to achieve those goals it needs to do certain specific things in AIWB and those things seem best achieved with wedges, pads, etc. If you can come up with a better solution, the world will beat a path to your door.

4. Any other input you think I should know.

Ride height is also critically important.

landsharkleather
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Todd thanks for the reply and thrree quick questions:

1. The Kydex ridged belt loop is that one large tunnel loop and why do you like that better then something with snaps. Snaps obviously are easier to take on and off because you don't fool with the belt. So what is the advantage to a tunnel loop set up?

2. When you say the holster needs to do specific and certain things. Can you elaborate on that?

3. Ride height is critical. Can you suggest a height that works better for you? Seems like most carry very high. But how why is too high and how low too low?

Thanks

ToddG
01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
1. The Kydex ridged belt loop is that one large tunnel loop and why do you like that better then something with snaps. Snaps obviously are easier to take on and off because you don't fool with the belt. So what is the advantage to a tunnel loop set up?

I don't take my holster on and off frequently so am more concerned about stability. Especially with aiwb, a rigid belt loop tends to help make sure the gun is kept pressing snuggly into the body. If that same effect were achieved while using loops instead, I'd have no objection.

2. When you say the holster needs to do specific and certain things. Can you elaborate on that?

It needs to keep the butt of the gun pressed toward the body. This is best achieved in two directions: keeping the backstrap pressed in closer than the muzzle, and keeping the floorplate pressed in closer than the rear sight. For example on my Shaggy, the floorplate is pressed in so effectively that my rear sight is the first thing to print.

3. Ride height is critical. Can you suggest a height that works better for you? Seems like most carry very high. But how why is too high and how low too low?

Opinions vary but for me, if I cannot get a complete grip on the pistol in the holster without fighting past my belt/pants, it's too low. If the butt of the gun tries to flop out when I lean forward, it's too high.

JV_
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
1. The Kydex ridged belt loop is that one large tunnel loop and why do you like that better then something with snaps. Snaps obviously are easier to take on and off because you don't fool with the belt. So what is the advantage to a tunnel loop set up? The rigid loop prevents the holster from rotating. I've tried all kinds of loops, and while they are easier, a set that is so tight it prevents rotation is incredibly hard to get snapped. Part of that problem is related to the loop spacing. If they're far apart, I can see where it's less of an issue.

Depending on the position, body type and loop length it can also helps kick in the butt of the gun. It's not the sole method, but it does help.

landsharkleather
01-14-2012, 09:48 AM
ok that is some good advice. Sounds like maybe a leather holster with a kydex belt loop - of course I have no idea how I would attach that:D But I will keep working on it.

Thanks guys and anyone else please impute is what i need from as many as possible.

JodyH
01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
The kydex tunnel attachment doesn't work as well for me.
I have too many different styles of pants with belt loops in different locations.
The tunnel makes it very difficult to hit the sweet spot for carry, and on a skinny guy like me the sweet spot is very narrow.

JV_
01-14-2012, 11:49 AM
and on a skinny guy like me the sweet spot is very narrow.Each person is unique. I'm not fat, and I can carry a G19 in any location from 12 to 2. I'm also very flexible for ride height. I certainly have preferences, but it doesn't really impact printing.

texag
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
The kydex tunnel attachment doesn't work as well for me.
I have too many different styles of pants with belt loops in different locations.
The tunnel makes it very difficult to hit the sweet spot for carry, and on a skinny guy like me the sweet spot is very narrow.

I'm very thin at 5'11" ~155, and agree with the sweet spot being an issue. Carrying a G17 probably exacerbates this, but I just like it too much to stop. I get the best concealment and comfort at ~12:30. The holster I use has a kydex tunnel belt loop which can make things interesting when paired with the large buckle on my instructors belt. Some of my next paycheck will go to Volund gearworks to alleviate that concern.

JV_
01-14-2012, 12:31 PM
The holster I use has a kydex tunnel belt loop which can make things interesting when paired with the large buckle on my instructors belt.Move the buckle to 4 o'clock.

CCT125US
01-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I am still in search of the best solution for me. I have several on order and hopefully one will be just right. But I think some adjustability is key for me. I am 5' 125 lbs with a 28 in waist and conceal a P30 fairly well in a highly self modified Comp-Tac 2 o' clock AIWB. One type will not work for all, so if you can work in adjustability without compromising stability and quality........

landsharkleather
01-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I normally work with leather only. But after your suggestions I may combine leather with a kydex belt loop. That will give me the stiffness and alittle added bulk. I would also make it height adjustable that way. ok thanks for the input. Would you all be interested in seeing pics of what I come up with or would that be bad form on the forum? Sorry bad pun!!