PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on SOFREP

Chance
09-23-2017, 03:51 PM
I've seen some completely fascinating articles on SOFREP, but I'm reluctant to pay for a membership, because I don't want to put money in Brandon Webb's pocket.

So, are there SOFREP readers about? Is the content worth it?

Sensei
09-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Webb's integrity issues have been known for a while. I've never subscribed to his website for that reason.

OnionsAndDragons
09-23-2017, 07:39 PM
I will occasionally listen to the podcast when Coriolanus is on, beyond that nope. Webb is a sack, and I ain't padding his retirement account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCM
09-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Webb's integrity issues have been known for a while. I've never subscribed to his website for that reason.

This ^^

msh
09-23-2017, 07:50 PM
I subscribe, but also have subscriptions to a lot of news sites.

Murphy's investigative journalism is good. George Hands writing is entertaining and there's also been some enlightening material from Jim West. I'm more than happy to pay for the original content from those 3. Not that there's not other good writers on there, but those 3 are my favorites.

This other drama is not a particular concern of mine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
09-23-2017, 09:10 PM
I know nothing of this guy. He was a SEAL but lied about experiencing combat? Is that correct?

LittleLebowski
09-23-2017, 09:21 PM
He lied about many things. Avoid.

Chance
09-24-2017, 07:44 AM
I know nothing of this guy. He was a SEAL but lied about experiencing combat? Is that correct?

That, as well as pinning a few other things that haven't sat well within the NSW community. I'd attempt to summarize, but I'm not familiar enough, and would prefer not to propagate half-truths, et cetera.

Odin Bravo One
09-24-2017, 11:34 AM
He is a liar and an embarrassment who has gotten rich by selling the actions taken by men better than him as his own heroic achievements.

Reading his accounts of his "combat experience" in Afghanistan would be comical if his lies didn't have such far reaching inpacts and so poorly reflect on NSW. About 1% of what he is written or said about that period is true. He was in Afghanistan. He was a SEAL. Everything after that is bullshit.

I know because I was there with him.

HCM
09-24-2017, 01:00 PM
He is a liar and an embarrassment who has gotten rich by selling the actions taken by men better than him as his own heroic achievements.

Reading his accounts of his "combat experience" in Afghanistan would be comical if his lies didn't have such far reaching inpacts and so poorly reflect on NSW. About 1% of what he is written or said about that period is true. He was in Afghanistan. He was a SEAL. Everything after that is bullshit.

/thread.

schüler
09-24-2017, 01:17 PM
I loved reading Fru, George Hand IV and others.

Content beyond that had slipped before Crate Club/Hurricane Group.

LittleLebowski
09-25-2017, 07:10 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/14ceV8wMLIGO6Q/giphy.gif

msh
09-26-2017, 07:09 PM
What about oaf nation anyone?

I think this particular gem is worth sharing:
http://oafnation.com/martyrdom-of-a-mutt

schüler
09-26-2017, 07:12 PM

.mil.uminati.

StraitR
09-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Ouch. Wonder if I can get a refund on my Red Circle purchase from years back? I don't read fiction.

HCM
09-26-2017, 11:30 PM

I read that in the voice of Quint from Jaws. Don't know why but it fits.

ragnar_d
09-27-2017, 08:49 AM
After his shooting from the lip on background checks and whatnot, I discounted pretty much anything he had to say . . . as in he could f*** right off. Prior service or not.

After that and all the things I'd heard regarding his embellishments of his work. Yeah, I wouldn't give him one red cent.

Last thing I read/listened to anything from Sofrep was when they had Peter Nealen on a podcast and do some articles on the rise of IS (I'm a fan of his American Praetorian series, and was willing to suffer through Webb's BS to hear what he had to say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk