PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Upper Peninsula: RFI

RJ
09-22-2017, 11:26 AM
My wife and I will be arriving in Escanaba Michigan today in our RV for a week's sightseeing.

Any tips on visiting the UP?

Shooting opportunities?

We are generally headed over to cross at St Ignace next week.

I'm interested in the Cornish connection; my great grand father emigrated as a Tin Miner from Redruth in the 1,800s.

TIa.

Guerrero
09-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Mackinac Island, maybe. It's touristy, but something you should visit once.

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Definitely the Island. Soo Locks are cool if you want to take a day slow. Tequamenon Falls are definitely cool. Marquette, the bustling metropolis of the UP is a really cool town. Pictured Rocks in Munising is definitely worth it.

Don't know of any real shooting opportunities unfortunately.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

TJG74
09-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Palms book state park

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coconutdave
09-22-2017, 03:45 PM
If you like Cajun food I would recommend Lagniappe's in Marquette. I was there yesterday. Also another vote for the Pictured Rocks.

frozentundra
09-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Lake of the Clouds is pretty cool. There are some neat hiking trails to scenic overlooks in that area, if that's your thing. Lots of waterfalls in that part of the UP too. Google Image search UP waterfalls

Up1911Fan
09-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Tequamenon Falls is really neat. We go for the day a couple times a year. Fayetteville state park is only about an hour from Escanaba and pretty cool to walk around. I'm originally from Marquette so I may be biases, but I'd spend a day there too. Take coconutdave's recommendation and go to Lagniappe to eat, the food is amazing. I'd go to Pictures Rocks in Munising as well, either hiking along the shore of the boat tour. Hereford and Hops is by far the best steakhouse around Escanaba.

holmes168
09-23-2017, 07:11 AM
Sorry Rich- due to my Buckeye rearing- not sure I can help. I'd head straight South immediately and just like Woody Hayes not spend one penny in Ichigan.

Coyotesfan97
09-23-2017, 07:33 AM
I've always wanted to visit the UP. This just makes me want to more. I drove from Alaska and back this summer. The UP is closer!

Cheap Shot
09-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Porcupine Mtns State Park - Lake of the Clouds. Hiking
Pictured Rocks. Hiking & Kayaking. If you're cutting across 28
Isle Royal. Boat ride and hiking (NOT a day trip)
Copper Harbor - Cool little town with great camp ground. Catch Ferry to Isle Royal
Tahquamenon falls state park. If you're cutting across 28
Whitefish Point - Edmund Fitz museum
Gran Marais - Cool little town other side of Pictured Rocks
Fayetteville if you're driving by on 2
Seney - Canoe Manistique River

Ohio, drive through state, DO NOT STOP, but if you must good environment to practice MUC:)

frozentundra
09-23-2017, 08:20 AM
You should also take into account the time of year that you happen to be in the UP. The peak of the fall "tree color" season may happen to coincide with your trip. I'm in Northern WI and in most places it hasn't hit yet, but if the UP is ready to pop, definitely take advantage of that. If you could hit some of the overlooks in the North during this period it may be worth the extra drive time.

What I refer to as the "Great North Woods"(NE Minnesota, Northern WI, and the UP), becomes a whole different animal during a week or two period in the fall. The timing and duration are highly dependent on specific microclimate of any particular area in a given year. I have heard the peak season may be early this year. A good storm can end it quickly.

http://www.freep.com/story/life/2017/08/30/michigan-fall-colors-foliage-predictions/615677001/

Cheap Shot
09-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Another spot is just cross the bridge West of Mackinaw City. Wilderness State Park. Beautiful campsites on straits, 2 outdoor ranges nearby, great beach and hiking at Wilderness. Gorgeous views, short driving distance to Cross Village and Legs Inn. Worth doing the tunnel of trees drive to Harbor Springs. Indoor range at gun shop in Harbor Springs.

https://www.midnrreservations.com/WILDERNESSSTATEPARK

http://www.legsinn.com/

http://harborspringsoutdoorsclub.com/

https://www.facebook.com/WildWoodFirearms/

http://www.visitharborspringsmichigan.com/stories/tunnel_of_trees_m119_heritage_highway

RJ
09-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Thanks all!

Much appreciate the replies as well as PMs. Thank you.

We had a nice drive up across Rt 2 and are spending a couple days exploring the area around St Ignace.

View from a Roadside stop at the top of Lake Michigan. Waves!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/d235a94add22d00adf9d58402f839450.jpg

Because of our plans next week, we were somewhat constrained on route and time.

However, the fall foliage here in the UP is starting to turn, with a few trees appearing golden orange and yellow. Hopefully the cooler weather next few days will keep that going.

Again thanks.

Peally
09-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Hopefully it's cooler than the 90 degree fall day we're having in Wisconsin.

The UP is one of those places where it's about as close as you can get to lots of old woods and no people. Not a bad place to be (at least until winter hits).

RJ
09-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Had a Pasty at dinner last night:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/c8dd618972ecd2140baabffe8eae6a80.jpg

Just trying to fit in with the natives. :)

spinmove_
09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
I'm partial to ketchup on my pasty, but that's just me.

MVS
09-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Where are you headed when leaving the UP Rich? Coming through the lower?

RJ
09-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Where are you headed when leaving the UP Rich? Coming through the lower?

We are basically transiting.

We have one night in Birch Ridge MI (near Frankenmuth) tomorrow, then Tuesday night we will be in Port Huron.

Just a few things driving the itinerary at the moment; weather, validity of Sunnydays shots for re entry into USA as well as connecting with family near London ON.

MVS
09-24-2017, 04:43 PM

We have one night in Birch Ridge MI (near Frankenmuth) tomorrow, then Tuesday night we will be in Port Huron.

Just a few things driving the itinerary at the moment; weather, validity of Sunnydays shots for re entry into USA as well as connecting with family near London ON.

OK. Other side of the state from me. Have a good time. I like Frankenmuth, but it doesn't sound like you will have time to enjoy it.

RJ
09-24-2017, 04:45 PM
OK. Other side of the state from me. Have a good time. I like Frankenmuth, but it doesn't sound like you will have time to enjoy it.

MVS, no it was kind of a late decision to go to Canada due to: reasons.

Will you be at Little Rock this year for Tac Con?

MVS
09-24-2017, 04:53 PM
MVS, no it was kind of a late decision to go to Canada due to: reasons.

Will you be at Little Rock this year for Tac Con?

I don't have plans to yet. Should probably get on that.

spinmove_
09-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Bavarian Inn for dinner if you can swing it. If you can't get it, Frankenmuth Brewing Company has great brews as well as a great menu.

RJ
09-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Bavarian Inn for dinner if you can swing it. If you can't get it, Frankenmuth Brewing Company has great brews as well as a great menu.

Thanks, I am pretty sure that's where we are going tomorrow night. :)

RJ
09-24-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't have plans to yet. Should probably get on that.

If you go, it would be great to see you.

coconutdave
09-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Bronner's in Frankenmuth is a Christmas store, it's kinda cool. Also the Birch Run outlet mall is ok for shopping if that's your thing.

Up1911Fan
09-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Don't forget Tony's in Birch Run. I swear you get like 5 pounds of bacon with just about everything.

Drang
09-30-2017, 05:51 AM
I'm partial to ketchup on my pasty, but that's just me.

Heathen! What are you, a Buckeye?

I would have sworn we had a thread about pasties, but I can't find it, anymore than I can find decent pasties in the Northwest. (There was a guy selling them in Seattle, but he gave up because he found dealing with the various levels of government regulation too onerous.)

Also, I hate that I missed this thread until after Rich left Michigan because I was rasslin' gators in his actual state of residence, which leaves me with little intertoob time...

coconutdave
09-30-2017, 06:06 AM
Hey. I'm a transplanted Buckeye, and I use gravy.:p

spinmove_
09-30-2017, 06:21 AM
Heathen! What are you, a Buckeye?

I would have sworn we had a thread about pasties, but I can't find it, anymore than I can find decent pasties in the Northwest. (There was a guy selling them in Seattle, but he gave up because he found dealing with the various levels of government regulation too onerous.)

Also, I hate that I missed this thread until after Rich left Michigan because I was rasslin' gators in his actual state of residence, which leaves me with little intertoob time...

I've got more family that was born, raised, and still living in Marquette than I care to count and we've all always slathered ours in ketchup...

Maybe occasionally in gravy, but mostly ketchup. Also, diehard Wolverines fan.

ACP230
09-30-2017, 06:45 AM
One of my wife's co-workers was in a small restaurant on the
eastern end of the U.P. when someone else ordered gravy on
a pasty. The cook, a large, irate, woman came out into the
restaurant demanding to know who had done that.

"We don't serve gravy on pasties here!"

RJ
09-30-2017, 07:43 AM
One of my wife's co-workers was in a small restaurant on the
eastern end of the U.P. when someone else ordered gravy on
a pasty. The cook, a large, irate, woman came out into the
restaurant demanding to know who had done that.

"We don't serve gravy on pasties here!"

Ya. At the restaurant in St Ignace, the Pasty came covered with gravy.

Being as how I'm only familiar with Pasty's from a bunch of trips to Cornwall (RNAS Culdrose) I was a bit surprised.

Cheap Shot
09-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Love the U.P.

Don't like pasty's