PDA

View Full Version : Podcast's Question Please

SC_Dave
09-22-2017, 06:42 AM
I'm looking for a podcast the focuses on tactics, tips and general talk on concealed carry/selfdefense tactics/match shooting. Anyone have a good one you listen too?
Thanks! SCD

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Civilian Carry Radio is pretty decent with who they've had on recently. Just started listening to them myself. I'd be interested in more also.

I do listen to Practically Tactical from time to time, but they have a habit of getting a little too silly and derpy during the course of their show. It tends to make it longer than necessary, but there's some nuggets buried in there sometimes.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Screwball
09-22-2017, 07:21 AM
While it isn’t necessarily carry oriented, I mainly listen to Going Ballistic with Ryan Cleckner. The main topic is long range shooting (fan of his book, and waiting on the next one), but Cleckner is a lawyer focusing on Federal firearms law, so you tend to hear about bigger things going through the government (Hearing Protection Act) from someone who knows what the law currently is. Touches on FFL rules/regulations, and since he is one, he does talk about handguns from time to time... SIG P320 recall was mentioned, and he recently acquired a CZ P10.

There are a few on the Firearms Radio Network that are carry related, but I unsubscribed to most of them. Used to like the AR15 Podcast, but sort of lost interest. I am still subscribed to that and Guns of Hollywood... but I just mark episodes at listened, being the subject matter isn’t catching my eye. Out of 5 episodes, I might listen to one with those two channels.

LittleLebowski
09-22-2017, 07:22 AM
I've never found one that meets the OP's criteria.

SC_Dave
09-22-2017, 07:36 AM
I do listen to Practically Tactical from time to time, but they have a habit of getting a little too silly and derpy during the course of their show.

Yes, Yes, Yes! I tried to listen to them as well, and watch there YT channel but Jeff Blooveman is just too damn hyper and silly for my taste. Way over the top.

SC_Dave
09-22-2017, 07:41 AM
I've never found one that meets the OP's criteria.

This is what lead me to ask here. I couldn't find anything either. Thought you guys might have discovered one.....
May not exist.
SCD

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes! I tried to listen to them as well, and watch there YT channel but Jeff Blooveman is just too damn hyper and silly for my taste. Way over the top.

Jeff is indeed a little ridiculous, but what I find most annoying is Jesse's overdone "New Yawk" accent and constant f-bomb dropping. I'm not a prude, but if it's literally every other word out of your mouth I have a hard time taking you seriously.

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 07:51 AM
I do very much enjoy Primary & Secondary's podcasts, but a good chunk of it is very .mil based. Not that that's bad, but it's largely irrelevant to me as a non-MIL/non-LEO.

I wish P-F had its own podcast based on a lot of the software discussion topics that we have here. Maybe not so much the hardware topics, but it's good to talk about that stuff once in a while too.

orionz06
09-22-2017, 08:09 AM
I wish P-F had its own podcast based on a lot of the software discussion topics that we have here. Maybe not so much the hardware topics, but it's good to talk about that stuff once in a while too.

All of the people who I think would be on a P-F podcast in some manner have already been on most of the podcasts already mentioned. Not mentioned yet is the Practical Pistol Show (Ben Stoeger) who has had Gabe White on.

Bratch
09-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Seeklanders American Warrior podcast would be close.

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 08:26 AM
All of the people who I think would be on a P-F podcast in some manner have already been on most of the podcasts already mentioned. Not mentioned yet is the Practical Pistol Show (Ben Stoeger) who has had Gabe White on.

True, but Ben's podcast is pure gaming. While not horrible, it's not TOTALLY relevant to the concealed carrier. And trying to track down all of the podcasts that have people like Gabe, Steve Fisher, Paul Sharp, and Darryl Bolke on them all the time talking specifically concealed carrier things is having subscriptions to A LOT of different podcasts that you're not consuming most of their content on.

orionz06
09-22-2017, 08:34 AM
True, but Ben's podcast is pure gaming. While not horrible, it's not TOTALLY relevant to the concealed carrier. And trying to track down all of the podcasts that have people like Gabe, Steve Fisher, Paul Sharp, and Darryl Bolke on them all the time talking specifically concealed carrier things is having subscriptions to A LOT of different podcasts that you're not consuming most of their content on.

I think once you're a little seasoned it's gonna be hard to find the discussion you're looking for in that format. Ballistic Radio is good but unless you're new the value drops, Seeklander's show is decent but it can be a hard listen and lots of the stuff isn't so much repetitive but blurs together, and Practically Tactical but people mentioned above they didn't like Jeff so...

Tom Givens could do a Rangemaster podcast but I struggle to see how there would be good, ongoing, content. Concealed carry doesn't evolve at the pace that podcasts can support and I suspect that's why the Rangemaster newsletter is what it is rather than more frequent.

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 09:26 AM
I think once you're a little seasoned it's gonna be hard to find the discussion you're looking for in that format. Ballistic Radio is good but unless you're new the value drops, Seeklander's show is decent but it can be a hard listen and lots of the stuff isn't so much repetitive but blurs together, and Practically Tactical but people mentioned above they didn't like Jeff so...

Tom Givens could do a Rangemaster podcast but I struggle to see how there would be good, ongoing, content. Concealed carry doesn't evolve at the pace that podcasts can support and I suspect that's why the Rangemaster newsletter is what it is rather than more frequent.

I don't think the podcast would have to necessarily be a weekly thing, but maybe bi-weekly? There's still a TON of "new" people out there with rather skewed views on what is good from a concealed carry perspective. Some individual state laws don't really help much sometimes. I think it's something that could be sustainable. If you start mixing in SOME competition oriented stuff, because competition is where concealed carriers can put their skills to the test on a consistent basis, I think you wouldn't have to be THAT creative to keep something like that going.

Guerrero
09-22-2017, 09:28 AM
I haven't found any single podcast that fits the bill, only selected episodes from a variety of different podcasts.

JSGlock34
09-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Agreed. In my opinion Seeklander's long format interviews are the best podcasts out there. But I don't tune into his own weekly Q&As.

I listen to Practically Tactical, The Gunfighter Cast, and Ballistic Radio from time to time depending on the guest. P&S can really be hit or miss depending on the topic.

spinmove_
09-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Agreed. In my opinion Seeklander's long format interviews are the best podcasts out there. But I don't tune into his own weekly Q&As.

I listen to Practically Tactical, The Gunfighter Cast, and Ballistic Radio from time to time depending on the guest. P&S can really be hit or miss depending on the topic.

I can't do Seeklander's live videos anymore. Too much stopping to say "thanks for joining! Like, share, and subscribe! We're talking about blah blah blah today!" Every 4 minutes.

Totem Polar
09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
I think it's more about the guests, and less about the specific podcast. Ballistic radio has been mentioned, and rightfully so: there are several episodes (and most here already know the names; they're all largely members here) that I've listened to mulitiple times.

I've found a few nuggests in the archives of modernselfprotection.com with marine/contractor Ben Branam. Cherry pick, and enjoy.

All this stuff is insomnia-time edutainment anyways; none of them replace good training. That said, some guys like Douglas, Givens, April, et al. have been remarkably forthcoming and generous with presenting bits of their trademark material for free via podcast, e.g. Ballistic radio. JMO.

4gallonbucket
09-22-2017, 01:09 PM
The Arms Room can be good. Guns Over Texas Radio is always entertaining-- but they don't get in the weeds of tactics, per se.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackRock
09-22-2017, 03:26 PM

This is what I was going to say. It's a good mix of defensive and competition, talks about gear, mindset, news, and tactics. If you had to pick ONE podcast to cover your bases, that would be it.

I listen to three: Concealed Carry Podcast (Jacob Paulsen and Riley Bowman), American Warrior Podcast (Mike Seeklander and Rich Brown), and Wasted Ammo (Steven Broyles). That last one is included because they cover a wide range of items I listen to, such as prepping and disasters and the like. Sometimes, the episode is just dumb so I delete it early. But they have done things like a bug-out walk, and shared their lessons.

MGW
09-23-2017, 06:31 AM
Firearms Nation has some good guests and he's getting better as an interviewer as the shows go on. I like them.

I like practical pistol show but his sense of humor isn't for everyone. It is gamer focused but there are some good nuggets in there. I like Tim Herron and Gabe shows up once in awhile.

They don't talk about anything you want to hear but my new favorite is Team VTac from Kyle Lamb. He's fun to listen to and very well spoken.

I drive a lot and either listen to books or podcasts.

BJJ
09-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Seeklander's podcast is as close as I know of that meet's the OP's criteria. There is some real gold in there, for example his interviews with Leatham, Langdon and Hackathorn among others.

frozentundra
09-23-2017, 09:05 AM
I haven't found any single podcast that fits the bill, only selected episodes from a variety of different podcasts.

I think it's more about the guests, and less about the specific podcast. Ballistic radio has been mentioned, and rightfully so: there are several episodes (and most here already know the names; they're all largely members here) that I've listened to mulitiple times.

Just the other day I was reflecting on the idea of a thread that served as a continually updated directory of PF alumni podcast appearances(perhaps also youtube videos or whatever).

If we could figure out a way to open source the project in a coherent manner, perhaps something akin to "A Game for the Ages Redux" thread, where podcast episodes are organized alphabetically by name of interview subject, I think that would be a tremendously valuable resource for the forum, especially people newer to the community.

At this point(2017) it would represent a significant and diverse compendium of knowledge, probably much more valuable to the average person than any book I could think of to purchase.

Bratch
09-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Just the other day I was reflecting on the idea of a thread that served as a continually updated directory of PF alumni podcast appearances(perhaps also youtube videos or whatever).

If we could figure out a way to open source the project in a coherent manner, perhaps something akin to "A Game for the Ages Redux" thread, where podcast episodes are organized alphabetically by name of interview subject, I think that would be a tremendously valuable resource for the forum, especially people newer to the community.

At this point(2017) it would represent a significant and diverse compendium of knowledge, probably much more valuable to the average person than any book I could think of to purchase.

TPI keeps a running thread for its members to update as they are on various podcast. It's alerted me to a few shows I didn't know about.

OnionsAndDragons
09-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Some of Seeklanders stuff comes off as cheesy or just over the top to me, but I agree overall. He has had some very excellent interviews, and is in fact a pretty good interviewer.

I'd honestly grab a few of the American Warrior Show eps with guys like Craig, Ernest, Hackathorn and work from there more comprehensively if you can dig his style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
09-26-2017, 06:01 AM
I would look for the ones with Mr_White in them.

Gewehr3
09-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Someone needs to tell the hosts of Civilian Gunfighter podcast to stop typing during the darn interviews. Can't stand that.

All the humble brags and inside jokes by various podcasts get's really obnoxious for the listeners. I tuned in to learn something from the guests not to hear about all the free shit sponsors give you or star wars/DD references.

I like Seeklander's show.

It seems like it's the same 10 instructors being interviewed over and over on all the podcasts. I think more case studies and AAR need to be done on these podcasts.

Slalom.45
09-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Another vote for "The American Warrior Show" here. I do think he and Rich have had some really good interviews. The podcast led me to his competition handgun training books and a week with him in Oklahoma last spring. As someone new to USPSA he was great. Very structured, very professional. It seems his self defense program follows the same pattern.

Hot Sauce
09-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Civilian Carry Radio is pretty decent with who they've had on recently.They've had a good few PF contributors on there.

orionz06
09-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Who would we consider to be P-F people?

spinmove_
09-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Tom Givens, Darryl Bolke, Gabe White, Surf, Paul Sharp, and probably a whole slew of others that my caffeine deficient brain isn't thinking of at the moment.

David S.
09-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Dobbs, Bolke, Givens, Douglas, Chuck Haggard, William April, Gabe White, Sherman House, to name a few

SC_Dave
09-27-2017, 09:11 AM
I would look for the ones with Mr_White in them.

I could listen to Gabe White talk about shooting all day!!!

Sherman A. House DDS
09-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Safety Solutions Academy Podcast (Paul Carlson) is great.

Thanks for the honorable mention, fellas. I appreciate being mentioned amongst the other gentleman here whom I hold I high regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
09-27-2017, 09:04 PM

I gotta weigh in here for a sec, just to flesh out this concept of the sheer number of homies we've got who have something to say worth listening to for an episode or four. A cursory pore-over of ballistic radio's guest list yields a shocking number of P-F familiars, to wit:

Ernest Langdon
William April
Kathy Jackson
Claude Werner
Sean M
Lee Weems
Chuck Haggard
Tiffany Johnson
Cecil Burch
Paul Sharp
John Hearne
Craig Douglas
Sherman House
Tom Givens
Darryl Bolke
Todd Louis Green
Caleb Giddings
Mitchell Lake
Spencer Keepers
and some guy named Mas Ayoob.

And that's just folks I'm certain have posted here with regularity. I sometimes forget who's, for example, TPI mostly, and may or not be here; like Fry, Ellifritz, Causey, Lindenmann... and folks I know from other fora like John Chapman. No idea if those guys were ever here before my time. I may well have missed others due to not knowing their handles, or just negligence on the part of my 2-minute research.

We've got some knowledge running around this place.

andre3k
09-27-2017, 09:11 PM
I need to check out some of these. Right now I mainly listen to the Primary and Secondary podcast and I generally like it. It can sometimes get a little "operator" heavy with the content though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SC_Dave
09-28-2017, 07:35 AM
I need to check out some of these. Right now I mainly listen to the Primary and Secondary podcast and I generally like it. It can sometimes get a little "operator" heavy with the content though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For me, P&S seems to have strayed from what they started with. Some of their "regular" guest are down right annoying to me.