PDA

View Full Version : Glock Armorer's Class

Rack
09-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Is it possible for a civilian to go through the Glock armorer's class? I've been told you have to either be in a police department or work at a gun shop?

Are there any other avenues to attend one?

Thanks.

T Smith
09-20-2017, 01:30 PM
If you have a membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF), you're able to sign up for the armorer's course. You're also able to compete in GSSF indoor and outdoor matches and purchase a Glock at a reduced price. There's more information on the GSSF website

octagon
09-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Rack I wouldn't waste the time and money on it. There are plenty of quality books and videos that cover the information you get in the class without leaving home. The access to parts is covered too. Unless you need the certification for something.

Rack
09-20-2017, 02:19 PM
If you have a membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF), you're able to sign up for the armorer's course. You're also able to compete in GSSF indoor and outdoor matches and purchase a Glock at a reduced price. There's more information on the GSSF website

Thanks. I think I knew that and had forgotten.

Rack
09-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Rack I wouldn't waste the time and money on it. There are plenty of quality books and videos that cover the information you get in the class without leaving home. The access to parts is covered too. Unless you need the certification for something.

I've thought this same thing. I've wondered if it would even be worth it, since it's such an easy platform to work on and have been very familiar with it for years. This site also has just about all the info one might want for the Glock, anyway.

JonInWA
09-20-2017, 02:57 PM
While there's indeed plenty of "how to" stuff out there on YouTube et al, the Armor's course is also a great source for more detailed insights on various components and "things Glock." While it's gotten a tad spendy for what it is, I still highly recommend it. The one I went to in 2008 was taught by Dennis Tueller, and was exceptionally worthwhile.

Best, Jon

Nephrology
09-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Is it possible for a civilian to go through the Glock armorer's class? I've been told you have to either be in a police department or work at a gun shop?

Are there any other avenues to attend one?

Thanks.

Yes, it is possible. I am not an LEO and attended a class via GSSF. Also,

This is accurate

Mark D
09-20-2017, 10:51 PM
I have considered going to the armorer's course through the GSSF. I'd like to learn the "correct" way to work on the platform. The other consideration is the legal cover the course provides if one were to use a self-modifed Glock in a lethal force encounter. In my overly litigious jurisdiction, using a home-brewed Glock would be ripe fodder for an ambitious DA or civil attorney, unless one was able to say "yes, I modified my Glock, however I am a certified Glock armorer". Folks in other parts of the country may not have the same concerns.

On the other hand, my odds of experiencing (another) lethal force situation are slim, and I aim to keep it that way. Additionally, I don't currently carry a Glock. Thus I haven't committed the time and energy to actually attend the course.

echo5charlie
09-21-2017, 08:07 AM
I have considered going to the armorer's course through the GSSF. I'd like to learn the "correct" way to work on the platform. The other consideration is the legal cover the course provides if one were to use a self-modifed Glock in a lethal force encounter. In my overly litigious jurisdiction, using a home-brewed Glock would be ripe fodder for an ambitious DA or civil attorney, unless one was able to say "yes, I modified my Glock, however I am a certified Glock armorer". Folks in other parts of the country may not have the same concerns.

On the other hand, my odds of experiencing (another) lethal force situation are slim, and I aim to keep it that way. Additionally, I don't currently carry a Glock. Thus I haven't committed the time and energy to actually attend the course.

Going to the Armorer class will officially teach you that using aftermarket parts (aside from sights) is Not a Good Idea™. Your plan may backfire on you.

OlongJohnson
09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Going to the Armorer class will officially teach you that using aftermarket parts (aside from sights) is Not a Good Idea™. Your plan may backfire on you.

This. Even any supplemental work, such as simple and minimal smoothing of parts that rub each other, that isn't documented as part of the training you received, could be portrayed as you recklessly disregarding the best available practices, in which you were officially trained.

JBP55
09-21-2017, 09:54 AM

What Charlie Said.

JonInWA
09-21-2017, 12:07 PM
I think what's probably more important from the p-f participant point of view is that there's an accumulation of experienced knowledge here that I believe verifies that unless you really, really know what you're doing when you modify OEM components on a Glock (or for that matter, pretty much on any platform), you're running a fairly high risk of inherently opening yourself up for malfunctions based on that modification per se, or setting yourself up for a domino effect, inducing malfunctions due to the effect that the modification has on other components and the overall operational cycle. Ditto for substituting cottage industry non-OEM components for OEM components, particularly components integral to the action.

Personally, I stick with OEM components, judiciously swapping out parts to fine-tune my individual Glocks to my needs and preferences, but sticking with OEM Glock parts (other than sights and butt plugs). Other "tuning" that I do has to do with specific lubricant applications and actually using the guns to burnish parts together, and replacing specified components within forecasted recommended replacement intervals. Oddly enough, my Glocks run very, very well...

Best, Jon

nate89
09-21-2017, 01:53 PM
I went in January of this year as a gun range employee that also is a stocking Glock dealer. I understand that much of what is covered is available online or from other (free) sources. All-in-all, I am happy that I took the time to take the class, and would recommend it to anyone who uses Glocks regularly. I'll admit that probably 75-80% of what was covered I have heard before, but having it confirmed by the factory is good, and the nuggets that i didn't know was well worth the time.

ST911
09-21-2017, 11:13 PM
I've gone to the Glock AC every few years for about twenty years. Thoughts....

Go the factory AC at least once for history, parts access, and what that factory says is spec. Whether you like or dislike spec, it's the baseline.
Use that as a filter for the other info floating in the open.
The Glock AC is not a single product. Different instructors and venues add or take away from the course.
Combining an AC with an IW or OC adds context and opportunity.
GI internal climate and current events in the region/country color the course.
Regional GI staff on site add to the course. Occasional drop in reps from complementary manufacturers also occur.
Other students, esp volume users, hard shooters, and better thinkers add to the course. An AC can be good for networking.

Mark D
09-21-2017, 11:39 PM
I think what's probably more important from the p-f participant point of view is that there's an accumulation of experienced knowledge here that I believe verifies that unless you really, really know what you're doing when you modify OEM components on a Glock (or for that matter, pretty much on any platform), you're running a fairly high risk of inherently opening yourself up for malfunctions based on that modification per se, or setting yourself up for a domino effect, inducing malfunctions due to the effect that the modification has on other components and the overall operational cycle. Ditto for substituting cottage industry non-OEM components for OEM components, particularly components integral to the action.

Personally, I stick with OEM components, judiciously swapping out parts to fine-tune my individual Glocks to my needs and preferences, but sticking with OEM Glock parts (other than sights and butt plugs). Other "tuning" that I do has to do with specific lubricant applications and actually using the guns to burnish parts together, and replacing specified components within forecasted recommended replacement intervals. Oddly enough, my Glocks run very, very well...

Best, Jon

Yes, I agree 100% regarding OEM parts. My interest in the armorers course stems from a desire to do what you've done - mix and match factory parts.

The only after-market items I'd consider installing are The Gadget and (maybe) an after market barrel.