PDA

View Full Version : Washington CPL's public records?

idahojess
09-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Attorney General Bob Ferguson, who likely is the most anti-gun statewide politician, has been asked to render an opinion. The statutes are clear that the applications are exempt from disclosure, (42.56.240(4)), but the Department of Licensing is asking whether copies of the licenses must be disclosed under a Public Records Act Request.

I can imagine how this one will go, although there are some good attorneys in that office, which has unfortunately become very politicized.

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/uploadedfiles/Home/About_the_Office/AGO_Opinions/Pending_AGO_Opinions/170906FergusonKohlerOpReqLtr.pdf

http://www.atg.wa.gov/pending-attorney-generals-opinions#Kohler

luckyman
09-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Rats.
My wife and I visited Spokane this weekend, and it zoomed up to number 1 on our desirable retirement locations list. I'm sure my California germs somehow caused this.

ETA: excuse the cursing, had surgery today and am still bit loopy.

FPS
09-20-2017, 12:25 AM
Rats.
My wife and I visited Spokane this weekend, and it zoomed up to number 1 on our desirable retirement locations list. I'm sure my California germs somehow caused this.

All gun rights loving Californians are more than welcome here. We've had a tough run with the liberals lately on firearms issues. But we are so close to North Idaho that escape over the border is possible at a moments notice. :)

Casual Friday
09-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Rats.

Really? I've always considered Spokane a shithole. There's some nice areas around it, like Deer Park, but Spokane isn't one of them. Or maybe CA is just that bad.

Hot Sauce
09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Please keep us updated on this idahojess, it is a dangerous precedent if it turns out badly, may become a model for other states to use these kinds of antics.

Mike C
09-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Attorney General Bob Ferguson, who likely is the most anti-gun statewide politician, has been asked to render an opinion. The statutes are clear that the applications are exempt from disclosure, (42.56.240(4)), but the Department of Licensing is asking whether copies of the licenses must be disclosed under a Public Records Act Request.

I can imagine how this one will go, although there are some good attorneys in that office, which has unfortunately become very politicized.

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/uploadedfiles/Home/About_the_Office/AGO_Opinions/Pending_AGO_Opinions/170906FergusonKohlerOpReqLtr.pdf

http://www.atg.wa.gov/pending-attorney-generals-opinions#Kohler

I appreciate this post thank you. I told my brother this morning and urged him to call and give the AG's office an earful. Hopefully others will do the same.

ReverendMeat
09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Rats.

I wouldn't trust moving to WA or OR anymore (the topic of this thread is an easy example of why). I'd recommend checking out CDA, ID if you haven't already.

luckyman
09-20-2017, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't trust moving to WA or OR anymore (the topic of this thread is an easy example of why). I'd recommend checking out CDA, ID if you haven't already.

My wife has figured out she's a city girl. The visit to CDA just confirmed it, need to be targeting cities at or over 100,000 population. Boise and Colorado Springs are the 2 places on our list that we haven't spent any significant time in yet.

Sorry for the subject derail everyone.

FPS
09-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Really? I've always considered Spokane a shithole. There's some nice areas around it, like Deer Park, but Spokane isn't one of them. Or maybe CA is just that bad.

Sounds like you havent experienced much of the city. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods and housing is very reasonable. Worst part about it is property crime and the job market. Winters can be longish but are unpredictable. Due to our climate, the roads take a beating. Whenever I travel, I always come back appreciative of our life here.

idahojess
09-20-2017, 02:32 PM
I appreciate this post thank you. I told my brother this morning and urged him to call and give the AG's office an earful. Hopefully others will do the same.

I appreciate the concern, but contacting the AG's office might not be the best approach, and may send the wrong message ... Ideally, SAF and/or the NRA would file a letter with the AG outlining the legal reasons why the records should be maintained confidentially.

A fallback in the event of a bad Opinion would be a legislative modification, which might have some success. As always, good to pay attention at the ballot box, which is pretty tough these days in this State.

Mike C
09-20-2017, 02:50 PM
I appreciate the concern, but contacting the AG's office might not be the best approach, and may send the wrong message ... Ideally, SAF and/or the NRA would file a letter with the AG outlining the legal reasons why the records should be maintained confidentially.

A fallback in the event of a bad Opinion would be a legislative modification, which might have some success. As always, good to pay attention at the ballot box, which is pretty tough these days in this State.

That is probably a good point, I just don't see how someone could sit on their hands and wait for an opinion that would allow some piece of shit to post personal info online. I would rather be proactive, (not aggressive as my initial post came off) but simply point out how this information has been misused in recent past and any of the negative consequences/out comes as a result. I hope this doesn't happen for you guys, I'd hate to see another repeat road map for criminals be published. When I think about all the childish and criminal behavior on both sides of the fence I wouldn't just be worried about the criminals but the negative treatment one might receive from an employer for being ousted for being pro gun or whatever you want to call it.

Casual Friday
09-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you havent experienced much of the city. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods and housing is very reasonable. Worst part about it is property crime and the job market. Winters can be longish but are unpredictable. Due to our climate, the roads take a beating. Whenever I travel, I always come back appreciative of our life here.

An affordable house in an area with a poor job market, high property crime, shitty winters and bad roads isn't exactly what I'd call paradise but whatever floats your boat.

Colt191145lover
09-20-2017, 09:53 PM
I must really be the odd one here.
This country boy finds Spokane to be a craphole from hell and I really dislike CDA. In North Idaho the closer to the Canadian border the better, if you can find work...

P. S. I love snow so that helps : )

FPS
09-22-2017, 09:15 PM
An affordable house in an area with a poor job market, high property crime, shitty winters and bad roads isn't exactly what I'd call paradise but whatever floats your boat.

Paradise doesnt exist in this world. If those are the only factors by which you judge a city, than I guess you are right. Winters range from mild with little to no snow to very snowy so we arent talking horrible. It doesnt get the kind of cold that further east gets. Lots of skiing options within driving distance for people who like winter.

Spokane has been described as a big city with a mid size feel. Property crime is mostly vehicle break ins so if you have a garage and use it, you dont have problems typically. We have a full four seasons, two private and two public universities, and very close to a wide variety of nature in four directions. Great medical facilities. Several great parks and hiking areas in the city or just outside. Lots of great family oriented neighborhoods all around the city. Plenty of acreage to be had not far outside the city if you want that. I am self employed and Internet based so job market hasnt affected me the same as others.

If you have only been downtown and lower North side, you would get a completely different perspective of the city than someone who has lived here 37 years and really understands what is here.

But whatever, its all subjective. I havent yet found a place I would rather live and raise a family. Gun rights were fairly good here up until a few years ago. Only thing that has really gotten worse that affect me are private gun sales having to go through an FFL. I can still buy anything I want.

idahojess
01-25-2018, 12:01 AM
There has been some bi-partisan legislation introduced to address this issue.
Fortunately Washington does have a pretty high number of CPL holders (500,000+, I've read), so that may get the legislation moving.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180117/washington-cpl-permit-confidentiality-bill-introduced

PNWTO
01-25-2018, 12:18 AM

CDA is on the route to getting California'd. Go a bit farther north, past Sandpoint, and it is better.

Colt191145lover
01-25-2018, 12:26 AM
Sandpoint is a liberal infestation now, nothing like it used to be.

PNWTO
01-25-2018, 12:49 AM
Sandpoint is a liberal infestation now, nothing like it used to be.

That bad? I knew it was well on the way and it is amazing how "traffic" became a thing in the past decade or so.

I can never, ever grow to like Spokane. Although I do like some of the hipster-gentrification that is going on downtown. I do like Wenatchee, at least the nicer sides. If I had to choose to retire in Eastern WA it would probably be Walla Walla. I have many ties to Yakistan but it is a shitty city. Some of the rural areas to the northwest towards the mountains are nice.

Just because I'm on a rant, Leavenworth was fun, and still is, but the secret is out and the crowds are awful.

idahojess
01-25-2018, 01:39 AM
If I had to choose to retire in Eastern WA it would probably be Walla Walla.

Walla Walla sucks. No one should move here.... it's too hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, and windy, there are ice storms occasionally, and the dining establishments are lousy, there are gangs, a prison, and ...

:)

Totem Polar
01-25-2018, 03:22 AM
Walla Walla sucks. No one should move here.... it's too hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, and windy, there are ice storms occasionally, and the dining establishments are lousy, there are gangs, a prison, and ...

:)

Riiiiight... actually, one of the better French restaurants I’ve been in is in Walla Walla.

As to WA legislation, have any of you put your eyes on the text of hb 1387 that’s in committee now? Holy crap, it’s bad. Like: license to own glock mags and storage/training requirement for the license bad. If you’re not aware of this bill you need to be, and you need to find a way to oppose it.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?Year=2017&BillNumber=1387

Drang
01-25-2018, 03:33 AM
Dave Workman had a post "filed from SHOT" today that included info on a series of gun control bills in committee (http://libertyparkpress.com/wa-anti-gunners-whine-gun-owners-contacting-lawmakers/). Apparently, the gun controllers are upset that gun owners are contacting their congresscritters.
There's links in there to HB 1387, HB2422 ("high" cap magazines), and HB2666, repealing state pre-emption.

Also, here's the latest GOAL Post. (http://wagoal.org/wordpress/goal-post-2018-3-legislative-update-olympia-19-january-2018/) If you're from WA, you should look into subscribing.
(For those of you from around here, Ray Carter contacted me about taking over posting these before he passed, but we never went further than "I'd be happy to." Glad to see someone is doing it. Not sure, but I think Boyd Kneeland is doing it.)