PDA

View Full Version : CZ Sp01 EDC

Demented Antics
09-19-2017, 06:52 PM
I have seen posts and threads about people carrying large and heavy guns (1911s very common) and wondered how many people, if any, carry an Sp01 either IWB or OWB (most likely if at all)? I have one with the CGW package and have just really fallen in love with how great of a shooter it is and have wondered about carrying it OWB concealed when clothes and weather allow. Seems to me no one really carries one even though it's touted as a great duty gun.

TLDR:

Do any of you carry an SP01? If so what holsters do you utilize and what are your thoughts of the gun as an EDC?

Demented Antics
09-20-2017, 08:07 PM
No one I guess! :(

Zirk208
09-20-2017, 11:27 PM
https://youtu.be/Zl3BKsIgRek

This guy seems awfully fond of them. In the video he covers his preference in sights, triggers, grips, and holsters.

EDIT:. Disregard my post. I forgot the "S" in there and posted a link to the compact model.

BigT
09-21-2017, 03:33 AM
I carried my Shadow to the range once. Once.

Made my 1911's seem like sub compacts.

GJM
09-21-2017, 05:48 AM
I think I have a decocker model SP01 (has firing pin block) and a JM George. Never carried it beyond in the house.

vaglocker
09-21-2017, 09:12 AM
I have a p01 cajunized that I carry in a JMCK AIWB 2.5. Not much weight difference between the Glock 17 I usually carry.

Trukinjp13
09-21-2017, 04:01 PM
I wanted a p01 omega bad. But could not locate one anywhere for months. So I bought the px4cc. Still would love to get hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TicTacticalTimmy
09-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Since no one else seems to actually carry a full size steel pistol....

Not an Sp-01 exactly, but I carried a Sar K2 .45 most days last fall/winter. It has been replaced with a 10mm Witness which I carry occasionally. Both of these guns are a big bigger and weigh a few ounces more than an SP-01.

I didn't find the weight to be a big issue, but then again I am not spending all day on my feet. I do carry the 10mm Witness all day when I am going dirtbiking and have never noticed the weight. I prefer to carry IWB for better concealment. They concealed no problem for me under a loose button down shirt, and even better under a jacket. Full size guns like those do necessitate being aware of when you are bending over to your left, such as you might at a grocery store. I use a pretty aggressive cant on my holster (maybe 20-25 degrees?) which helps tremendously with reducing printing.

And I don't even have a proper gun belt. With a good gun belt I'm sure you will be 100% as long as you have an outer garment that is bulky/loose enough to prevent printing (or if you don't care too much about a little printing).

ralph
09-21-2017, 04:29 PM
One option to consider would be a SP-O1 Phantom, a polymer framed version of the SP-O1, At 29 oz that would'nt too bad to carry. I have a SP-O1 decocker, and at 40oz that's a bit hefty,(about the same as a1911) although it could be done, the key being a good belt, and holster.

FrankB
09-21-2017, 04:32 PM
I used to carry compact and subcompact pistols, but I mainly carry a Beretta M9 or 1911 (usually Commander size) IWB now. A good holster and belt make those pistols almost invisible, even with a dress shirt. I'm sitting cross legged on my sofa right now, and cannot feel the M9 one bit. I do use a shoulder holster quite often when it gets cool enough to wear a jacket or coat.

vcdgrips
09-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Get a quality holster, mated to a quality belt, carry your CZ and drive on.

revchuck38
09-21-2017, 08:32 PM
I have an unmatched pair of CZ-75Bs with trigger jobs by Matt Mink. I just got the slide back from one of them from CGW with Trijicon sights on it and it's my go-to carry gun. As noted above, a good belt and holster make it a lot easier to carry and conceal. A spare mag on the opposite side balances it out nicely.

BehindBlueI's
09-21-2017, 08:33 PM

Quite a leap because no one carries the particular model the OP asked about, no one carries a full sized steel pistol...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23543-Full-size-gun-for-concealed-carry

Demented Antics
09-21-2017, 10:17 PM
What holsters are you guys using? I'm not able to find any? Glad to see this can be done and people are doing it. I figured it couldn't be any larger or heavier than an 92fs or 1911 and those are carried in droves.

BehindBlueI's
09-21-2017, 10:21 PM
What holsters are you guys using? I'm not able to find any? Glad to see this can be done and people are doing it. I figured it couldn't be any larger or heavier than an 92fs or 1911 and those are carried in droves.

The holster I use isn't available for CZ, but the belt is: https://www.rednicholsholsters.com/product-page/m1950-sidewinder-contour-gunbelt

SWAT Lt.
09-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Quite a leap because no one carries the particular model the OP asked about, no one carries a full sized steel pistol...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23543-Full-size-gun-for-concealed-carry

Exactly.

ralph
09-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Check out Blade-Tech, they make a IWB holster for the SP-O1 I got a few of their holsters and they're not bad. One word of warning though, the poly coat finish that CZ uses will wear, quickly. I have one of the "SP-O1 compacts" that were available until recently, these were contract guns that CZ made for somebody, and they did'nt for some reason take delivery. They have a steel frame very simular to the SP-O1, complete with a upswept beavertail like on the SP-O1 only it's a compact, CZ made around 14-1500 of them. So, they're somewhat rare. Any way, I was shooting mine, and very quickly a silver ring I wear on my right hand, wore a spot through the poly coat and down to the bare metal.. I took care of the problem by sending it to Cajun Gun Works and had the frame, barrel, slide, trigger, saftey levers, and slide stop Black Nitrided.. also had a Stainless ring hammer installed and short reset kit installed, and trigger bar polished. I installed some sights myself. It turned out nicely. Anyway my only bitch with CZ, well, make that bitches, is the poly coat finish, and the sights they use. The poly coat needs to go away, and they need to start nitriding slides, barrels, frames (on steel framed guns) and as many small parts they can shit can the sights they've been using since 1975, and basically get with the program..

scw2
09-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I carried a CZ SP01 for about a year. The weight was never the huge issue for me, though the length was definitely something I would feel while sitting (carried AIWB). That said, I will sometimes carry my G19 in a full size holster, and in those situations I'm not so sure that there is much difference in comfort when sitting. The extent of how uncomfortable it might be is likely going to depend on the specifics of how your body, belt, and holster interact.

ETA - I got one through custom carry concepts. They went above and beyond to walk me through it and make sure it worked. Give Rich a PM and see if he can't help you out or look at the supporting business forum.

revchuck38
09-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Milt Sparks #60-TK and Comp-Tac paddle and IWB.

willie
09-22-2017, 11:21 PM
In my new job in the worst part of town, I carry a CZ PCR in a Tucker IWB holster. Tucker is on this forum somewhere. His product is excellent. Anyway to make my arrangement work better, I bought pants that were a size too big and then dug out a custom made gun belt that fits the holster. It works. Sometimes I use suspenders which really add to carry comfort. Soon I'll be in my 50th year of working somewhere, and that's a good thing. My companion is a 115 pound Akita dog from the Japanese, not American line. He's almost as hard headed as I am.

Screwball
09-23-2017, 05:45 AM
I don’t carry my SP-01, mainly due to size and weight. If I move somewhere that open carry is ok... I have a Bravo Concealment OWB, which fits a TLR-1 HL.

I also had this made at the Oaks gunshow...

https://i.imgur.com/kk7LxjT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S1OXVlN.jpg

Wanted to try out the Tactical Block as a front end weight... but also looks pretty cool.

Guy that made it is SharkTac, out of Ohio.

Lost River
09-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Not an Sp-01 exactly, but I carried a Sar K2 .45 most days last fall/winter. It has been replaced with a 10mm Witness which I carry occasionally. Both of these guns are a big bigger and weigh a few ounces more than an SP-01.

I didn't find the weight to be a big issue, but then again I am not spending all day on my feet. I do carry the 10mm Witness all day when I am going dirtbiking and have never noticed the weight. I prefer to carry IWB for better concealment. They concealed no problem for me under a loose button down shirt, and even better under a jacket. Full size guns like those do necessitate being aware of when you are bending over to your left, such as you might at a grocery store. I use a pretty aggressive cant on my holster (maybe 20-25 degrees?) which helps tremendously with reducing printing.

And I don't even have a proper gun belt. With a good gun belt I'm sure you will be 100% as long as you have an outer garment that is bulky/loose enough to prevent printing (or if you don't care too much about a little printing).

How does the fact that no Pistol- Forum member responded to the OP's question about carrying one particular model, of one particular brand, translate into no Pistol-Forum members carrying full size steel frame pistols? That is quite a stretch-extrapolation to say the least.

We have a considerable number of members with decades of time carrying 5" 1911s and Commanders in a professional capacity, as well as for sport and CCW, and that is just one type of full size pistol.

I would say (this is a somewhat educated guess on my part) that the average age on this forum is a good bit higher than most, so it is safe to say that many here have considerable time concealed carrying revolvers as well.

Lost River
09-23-2017, 10:42 AM
I don’t carry my SP-01, mainly due to size and weight. If I move somewhere that open carry is ok... I have a Bravo Concealment OWB, which fits a TLR-1 HL.

I also had this made at the Oaks gunshow...

https://i.imgur.com/kk7LxjT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S1OXVlN.jpg

Wanted to try out the Tactical Block as a front end weight... but also looks pretty cool.

Guy that made it is SharkTac, out of Ohio.

Come on and show it...

The bayonet.

You know you have it.

We know you have it.

We wanna see it! :)

Screwball
09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Come on and show it...

https://i.imgur.com/3WfEsIx.jpg

To be honest, that picture is the only time I ever put it on. I like the strike face without the blade. Like a meat tenderizer. [emoji6]

Think it is still somewhere in my safe... I know it fell off the back of the shelf a few times, and got tired of moving spam cans around to get it.

Lost River
09-23-2017, 01:16 PM
You win the PF interwebz fun toy of the weekend award!

That has to be perfect for zombies..... Or Spiders.

Really Big Spiders... :cool:

Demented Antics
09-26-2017, 06:22 PM
What hammer is that?

Screwball
09-26-2017, 10:14 PM
What hammer is that?

This one...

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420020011_Spur-Hammer-Pre-B-75

A heads up... nothing CZ75 is drop-in. I had a local gunsmith use a CGW adjustable sear for that to work. Like the older spur hammers over the new ones.