PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shotgun that fits in an 870 rack?

john c
09-19-2017, 05:13 AM
Is there a duty grade semi-auto shotgun that drops right in to a patrol car 870 shotgun rack? I'm not sure the specific rack we have, other than they're for an 870.

Thanks.

Chuck Whitlock
09-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Not unless the lock head clamps around the barrel. As a general rule, on most patrol car shotgun racks, the lock head is designed to fit between the receiver and the forend and keeps the action from cycling in the rack. Thus, since the forend of a semi-auto is tight against the receiver, it's not going to work. Now, changing out the lock head to something like the Santa Cruz Universal could be an option, but will involve some money and possibly redrilling some mount holes.

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/

john c
09-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Chuck. That's what I thought. It turns out that we have the Santa Cruz racks, right next to the shotgun racks, for ARs. I'm not qualified on the AR (waiting on a slot in the 16 hour class), but from what you're saying, I can drop a Benelli or similar in this rack?

What's be best way to deal with not having the action locked closed, as is the case for the 870? Do officers keep their shotgun unloaded, or just run the risk if the mag is topped off? We carry with an empty chamber in the car.

I think that, in 2017, the 870 is a relic, and want to upgrade. Formal policy is still being formulated, but guys are qualifying and having auto shotguns approved on a case-by-case basis.

Chuck Whitlock
09-20-2017, 12:19 PM
It ought to fit in the rifle rack if it has the universal lock head. I run empty chamber on long guns with the tube loaded....really no different than the rifle. I am super anal about locking the doors on my patrol car.