PDA

View Full Version : Firing Pin Replacement

SilentSc0rch
09-18-2017, 12:06 PM
I searched and I couldn't quite find any other threads covering this subject. How often should a firing pin/striker be replaced on a Glock? My brand new CZ P10C (with only 2,200 rounds) just had its firing pin break and I was thrilled yesterday when I found out that I'd been carrying a paper weight for a week. So now I'm really gun-shy (hehe) about parts breakages, especially the striker since it can render a pistol completely useless. Would you guys replace the firing pin preemptively or are they so durable that you wouldn't bother swapping unless issues arise?

Kyle Reese
09-18-2017, 01:16 PM
In a Glock? Drop in a new striker if it should break or wear to the point that reliable ignition is compromised.

Sorry to hear about your CZ. I hope that their CS takes care of you.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sal Picante
09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
.... and this is where weekly checks on a carry gun are really a good idea.

Check lube, wipe the lint off, check basic functions (trigger set, reset), inspect the FP/roll pins/sights.

I hardly shoot my carry gun, but it on my Monday AM status conference call. How else am I going to stay awake?

Bigghoss
09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
This is why you should have two identical guns, one for carry and one for the range. Shoot the piss out of the range gun and replace parts as necessary.

Clusterfrack
09-18-2017, 02:13 PM
I once shot a match with a G34 with a broken striker. Didn't notice it until later.

Totally agree about not carrying a gun you use for high round counts.

Doc_Glock
09-18-2017, 03:56 PM
I searched and I couldn't quite find any other threads covering this subject. How often should a firing pin/striker be replaced on a Glock? My brand new CZ P10C (with only 2,200 rounds) just had its firing pin break and I was thrilled yesterday when I found out that I'd been carrying a paper weight for a week. So now I'm really gun-shy (hehe) about parts breakages, especially the striker since it can render a pistol completely useless. Would you guys replace the firing pin preemptively or are they so durable that you wouldn't bother swapping unless issues arise?

Can you describe where it broke, and/or provide a photo of the broken part?

Darth_Uno
09-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Glock, at least (don't know about CZ), used a metal injection molded (MIM) striker. MIM parts tend to fail early or not all. If it makes you feel better about carrying it you can use a "real" steel striker but that'll set you back $50-80. I've got one and is it better, yeah probably but all my MIM strikers work fine too. I don't see a rash of broken strikers out there.

Leroy
09-19-2017, 03:16 AM
I broke a Glock striker in dryfire and didn't know until I went to the range. It was a high round count gun with daily dry fire for years. Gotta have a low use gun if your serious about keeping it in working order without constant checks.