PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M2 Stock Length (LOP)

Jaywalker
09-17-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm playing with the idea of a Benelli M2 shotgun and would prefer the Comfortech stock. However, I understand they come in 14-1/2" Length of Pull (LOP), which is entirely too long. (I know it's too long after two Beretta O/U with that LOP - skeet coach measured me at 13.6".) I know it would be expensive to cut off the CT stock, as it would need a spacer of the right size inside it.

So, what are my options on stock length changes?

P.E. Kelley
09-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Benelli offers 3 recoil pad lengths. All just pop in. I don't have one in front of me, but I am confident you can get to 13.75" with the short one.
And they have offered (not an option but a change in production) "shorter and longer" stocks. They DO sell a Youth stock that I think is 13" LOP.

StraitR
09-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Aside from the thinner recoil pad mentioned by Patrick, Benelli does offer a Compact Comfortech stock, but they are very proud of them (more so than standard Benelli stuff, IMO). I don't see one listed currently on Benelli's website, but I have before when looking for a shorter Comfortech for my M2 Field.

Here is one for sale, and at the same price as others listed on Benelli's website. Sit down before clicking link...

http://www.mackspw.com/Benelli-M2-12-Gauge-Compact-Comfortech-Stock-Black

ETA: Compact Comfortech is a 13 1/8 LOP.

P.E. Kelley
09-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Aside from the thinner recoil pad mentioned by Patrick, Benelli does offer a Compact Comfortech stock, but they are very proud of them (more so than standard Benelli stuff, IMO). I don't see one listed currently on Benelli's website, but I have before when looking for a shorter Comfortech for my M2 Field.

Here is one for sale, and at the same price as others listed on Benelli's website. Sit down before clicking link...

http://www.mackspw.com/Benelli-M2-12-Gauge-Compact-Comfortech-Stock-Black

ETA: Compact Comfortech is a 13 1/8 LOP.

Yea, I didn't want to tell Jaywalker that the stock goes for the price of a decent pumpgun!

Jaywalker
09-17-2017, 06:58 PM
What price, fantasies?

Can the CT gel pad be ground down if I can find a gunsmith to cut the stock slightly?

StraitR
09-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Yea, I didn't want to tell Jaywalker that the stock goes for the price of a decent pumpgun!

Exactly. The price is truly outrageous. Even the shorter replacement Comfortech recoil pads are crazy expensive ($110). And I wouldn't want to shoot Benneke's or magnum loads on that thin little pad. haha It's a tough decision to invest that much money in a shotgun and then need to spend an additional $420 to get a proper fitting stock. It's something I'm currently weighing out myself while considering a new WC 870 vs. M2 Tactical. I really want the semi M2, but aftermarket support options for 870's is tough to beat.

GJM
09-17-2017, 08:36 PM
I have the regular and youth Comfortech stocks. The most economical way to get the youth stock is to buy the M2 field youth with a 26 inch barrel, as that is the model that comes with that stock. I also have the regular Comfortech stocks, and use the thin Benelli pad. There is not that much difference between the youth stock and regular Comfortech, using the thin pad. No issue with Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs with it. (I prefer the 21 inch field M2 as that barrel cuts down to 14 inches with proper spacing on the vent rib.)

StraitR
09-17-2017, 09:12 PM
^^^^^ All good to know. Thanks George.

Jaywalker
09-17-2017, 11:26 PM
I have the regular and youth Comfortech stocks. The most economical way to get the youth stock is to buy the M2 field youth with a 26 inch barrel, as that is the model that comes with that stock. I also have the regular Comfortech stocks, and use the thin Benelli pad. There is not that much difference between the youth stock and regular Comfortech, using the thin pad. No issue with Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs with it. (I prefer the 21 inch field M2 as that barrel cuts down to 14 inches with proper spacing on the vent rib.)
Thanks - some clarifications, please.

The numbers we've talked about here so far is 13-1/8" and approximately 13-3/4"; is that about the difference, just off the top of your head. (Don't bother to measure, thanks.)

Do you feel the recoil more with the thin pad or the shorter stock?

You mentioned the Youth model with the 26" barrel but you prefer the 21" barrel for cut down use, true? (Just verifying no typos.)

It's all just notional at this point, but I will call Benelli tomorrow and ask how to achieve the 13.5 or 13.6 inch pulls, but I agree $400 for a buttstock would make me feel silly.

GJM
09-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Thanks - some clarifications, please.

The numbers we've talked about here so far is 13-1/8" and approximately 13-3/4"; is that about the difference, just off the top of your head. (Don't bother to measure, thanks.)

Do you feel the recoil more with the thin pad or the shorter stock?

You mentioned the Youth model with the 26" barrel but you prefer the 21" barrel for cut down use, true? (Just verifying no typos.)

It's all just notional at this point, but I will call Benelli tomorrow and ask how to achieve the 13.5 or 13.6 inch pulls, but I agree $400 for a buttstock would make me feel silly.

My shotguns are at the hangar, can measure tomorrow. I prefer the short stock on the 26 inch M2, but the 21 inch barrel for NFA use, as it has the correct vent rib spacing to cut to 14. I can't tell the difference between the youth Comfortech and regular one with thinner pad, in terms of recoil.

Toonces
09-18-2017, 09:51 AM
I can't tell the difference between the youth Comfortech and regular one with thinner pad, in terms of recoil.

That's impressive. Do you think that is because the stock is so effective it has largely negated the recoil pad on the end?

GJM
09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
The two top shotguns have the youth, and the bottom is a regular Comfortech with a thin pad. Youth stocks LOP is 13.0 and 13.75 for regular stock. I prefer the 13.0 for my use. Would be interested to see if the M2 26 inch youth vent rib spacing cuts nicely to 18-19 inches.

All the slugs recoil enough that small differences escape me.

GJM
09-18-2017, 02:39 PM
I just measured a Super Black Eagle 26 inch, and the spacing would be perfect for an 18 inch barrel. If the M2 26 is the same, that in a youth stock cut to 18 with a S1 would be awesome.

NoLock
09-18-2017, 03:23 PM
How are the pic rails attached to the forend?

I've been looking at m2s and I'm 5'6", would having a smith chop a stock and install a grind to fit stock be a bad option? I like 12 inch lop is that possible with the recoil tube in the stock?

GJM
09-18-2017, 04:14 PM

I've been looking at m2s and I'm 5'6", would having a smith chop a stock and install a grind to fit stock be a bad option? I like 12 inch lop is that possible with the recoil tube in the stock?

Unlike the 1301, M2 fore end is thick enough to drill and tap. Brockman did that.

12 would be OK in a pump, but a semi doesn't need such a short LOP, and a bit longer is better for recoil.

Jaywalker
09-18-2017, 07:36 PM

Regardless of what length of pull you want, I understand chopping a plastic stock is more complicated than a wood stock. If I understand it correctly, there's a bracing piece under the recoil pad. To move a bracing piece towards the trigger would require a different sized piece, because the stock gets smaller farther up. At least, that's how I understand it, and is the reason I posted this thread.

GJM
09-18-2017, 10:23 PM
I tried to use math to look at the spacing on the 26 inch vent rib on the M2 Compact, and figure out what it might cut back to. My math, obviously suspect, suggests a barrel between 18-19 inches should be possible. Adding some AO sights, a Nordic tube, and a S1, should make a slick rig.

Jaywalker
09-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I tried to use math to look at the spacing on the 26 inch vent rib on the M2 Compact, and figure out what it might cut back to. My math, obviously suspect, suggests a barrel between 18-19 inches should be possible. Adding some AO sights, a Nordic tube, and a S1, should make a slick rig.
Spoke to Benelli USA customer service just now. Main question was whether they had, or expected to have, different thickness recoil pad for the Youth M2; they do not. They are aware that some gunsmith services - Brownells or Mid West Gun Supply had the parts necessary to support a stock shortening. Good news if someone wants a tactical version.

While there I asked whether the rib spacing for the Youth M2 and the Super Black Eagle were the same or similar. CS went away to ask gunsmith who said they were similar but might have to adjust a quarter or half an inch. That doesn't appear to be a deal killer. So, reasonable news all around.

I also

GJM
09-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Spoke to Benelli USA customer service just now. Main question was whether they had, or expected to have, different thickness recoil pad for the Youth M2; they do not. They are aware that some gunsmith services - Brownells or Mid West Gun Supply had the parts necessary to support a stock shortening. Good news if someone wants a tactical version.

While there I asked whether the rib spacing for the Youth M2 and the Super Black Eagle were the same or similar. CS went away to ask gunsmith who said they were similar but might have to adjust a quarter or half an inch. That doesn't appear to be a deal killer. So, reasonable news all around.

I also

Respectfully, I think the information you got from them is misleading. The "stock shortening" components are the Compact stocks at about $400, and rib spacing makes a big deal, unless your idea of a short barrel is 14-16 inches and a short regular barrel is 18-21 inches. The youth stock 20 gauge 24 inch barrel, for example, cuts to between 20-21, not 18-18.5 inches.

Jaywalker
09-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Respectfully, I think the information you got from them is misleading. The "stock shortening" components are the Compact stocks at about $400, and rib spacing makes a big deal, unless your idea of a short barrel is 14-16 inches and a short regular barrel is 18-21 inches. The youth stock 20 gauge 24 inch barrel, for example, cuts to between 20-21, not 18-18.5 inches.It's certainly possible that he did a thought-leap on me, but at the time we were discussing the innards of a cut stock and spacers. He mentioned that in some cases a gunsmith would have to install a lot of dowels into the butt in order to have something to screw the new pad to.

Re the ribs we were discussing the 26-inch field Youth model, but, again, I was not speaking to the gunsmith himself so I don't know how much the CS rep pursued my specifics.

GJM
09-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Why not go on-line, measure the vent rib in the picture, and calculate where the spacing falls. I got between 18-19 inches, which would be perfect, but I would like someone to check my math.

The Comfortech stock is highly desirable. I have heard of people cutting the non-Comfortech, but given how the pads slip on the Comfortech stock, I don't see how you can shorten it and maintain the same pad set-up.

StraitR
09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Edited: Disregard, it was cutting down an M4 stock. Principal should be the same though if one is so inclinded. Link below.

Benelli really doesn't make this stock LOP issue easy, and is why I'm leaning towards an 870.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/80819-shortening-benelli-tactical-stock-la-ned-christiansen.html

Jaywalker
09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Why not go on-line, measure the vent rib in the picture, and calculate where the spacing falls. I got between 18-19 inches, which would be perfect, but I would like someone to check my math.

The Comfortech stock is highly desirable. I have heard of people cutting the non-Comfortech, but given how the pads slip on the Comfortech stock, I don't see how you can shorten it and maintain the same pad set-up.
I'd be glad to. What link are you using?

GJM
09-19-2017, 05:13 PM
I'd be glad to. What link are you using?

Go to Gunbroker, find a 26 Compact, and work with the picture.

Jaywalker
09-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Looks like 18.5" to me.

Clusterfrack
09-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Is there a difference in barrel weight and durability between the 18.5" M2 tactical and a cut 26" bird gun barrel?

Jaywalker
09-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Is there a difference in barrel weight and durability between the 18.5" M2 tactical and a cut 26" bird gun barrel?All I know is the Benelli gunsmith said there wouldn't be enough metal near a cut barrel to support re-installation of choke tubes. That suggests there is a difference.

P.E. Kelley
09-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Cut any plastic stock. Rough interior surface to hold the epoxied in wood blocks that you screw the new pad to.

I found the Comfortech stock worked well on a pump gun (Super Nova) with most loads and just started to work with heavy loads
when attached to a M2 or the like.

GJM
09-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Cut any plastic stock. Rough interior surface to hold the epoxied in wood blocks that you screw the new pad to.

I found the Comfortech stock worked well on a pump gun (Super Nova) with most loads and just started to work with heavy loads
when attached to a M2 or the like.

Interesting. I did a direct comparison with the OEM pistol grip stock on a 14 inch M2, and found the Comfortech remarkably more pleasant to shoot Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs with.

P.E. Kelley
09-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Interesting. I did a direct comparison with the OEM pistol grip stock on a 14 inch M2, and found the Comfortech remarkably more pleasant to shoot Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs with.

That would agree with my impressions. The heavier the more it worked. Brenneke Mags...yup, the stock works.

Jaywalker
09-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Is it the stock or the CT pad that gives the benefit?

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Also, will wood blocks and screwing on a new pad prevent access to the M2's recoil spring in the stock? (I don't have one yet so I really don't know.)

P.E. Kelley
09-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Also, will wood blocks and screwing on a new pad prevent access to the M2's recoil spring in the stock? (I don't have one yet so I really don't know.)

Done with that in mind, yes.

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 10:22 AM
It’s both: http://www.benelliusa.com/comfortech

https://youtu.be/qqpVy6KTH7g

Thanks.

So, for my purposes, it does not look as if cutting the plastic stock to length would work. Wooden blocks could be installed inside for screwing a pad base on, then gluing a recoil pad to the base, but then I'd have no maintenance access to the recoil spring. (I'm presuming here that cutting off the end of the stock also removes the ability to pop-on-and-off the Benelli recoil pad.) I appreciate the input.

NoLock
09-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks.

So, for my purposes, it does not look as if cutting the plastic stock to length would work. Wooden blocks could be installed inside for screwing a pad base on, then gluing a recoil pad to the base, but then I'd have no maintenance access to the recoil spring. (I'm presuming here that cutting off the end of the stock also removes the ability to pop-on-and-off the Benelli recoil pad.) I appreciate the input.

Why not just screw a standard grind to fit recoil pad to the wooden blocks? Easily removable.

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 11:26 AM
How does that work? Diagrams? Pics?

P.E. Kelley
09-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Not my work, but I would certainly do it this way, short of the screws coming in from the side.

[20235

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Okay. How do you attach the pad to that base?

NoLock
09-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Okay. How do you attach the pad to that base?

If I remember that thread the author uses bolts that line up with the threaded holes in the wood. Most recoil pads have two predrilled holes at each end of the plastic base. Most setups I've seen use screws to attach to the wooden or plastic stock.

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Thanks. Just trying to visualize it. So there are two countersunk holes (in the pic example) in the recoil pad itself for bolts and that keeps the recoil from driving them into your shoulder? I've never seen that before.

Duelist
09-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks. Just trying to visualize it. So there are two countersunk holes (in the pic example) in the recoil pad itself for bolts and that keeps the recoil from driving them into your shoulder? I've never seen that before.

That's actually very normal: the pair of screws go through holes in the rubber part of the recoil pad. The flat, stiff base of it that mates to the stock has matching holes and the screws continue through those, and into the holes drilled into the stock. The screws pull the pad on tight and hold it in place. You never should feel them, or notice that they are there in use.

NoLock
09-21-2017, 05:27 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bL2vH44fg

Watch him take the factory stock off in the beginning.

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
That's actually very normal: the pair of screws go through holes in the rubber part of the recoil pad. The flat, stiff base of it that mates to the stock has matching holes and the screws continue through those, and into the holes drilled into the stock. The screws pull the pad on tight and hold it in place. You never should feel them, or notice that they are there in use.

Thanks, that sounds good. None of my pads are like that. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/index.htm I see what you're talking about on Brownell's. Mine are the Pachmayr Decelerator pads, also shown on the page.

Toonces
09-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Thanks, that sounds good. None of my pads are like that. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/index.htm I see what you're talking about on Brownell's. Mine are the Pachmayr Decelerator pads, also shown on the page.

Chances are, your Decelerators are held on with two screws. The reason you can't see any indication of the screws is referenced in #7 and #11 of the below link. If you use a new razor blade and petroleum jelly on a thin screwdriver, the spots where the screws were installed are invisible.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productdocuments/instructions/725/pachmayr_recoil_pad_install_instructions.pdf

StraitR
09-21-2017, 09:27 PM

I linked to the whole cutting and fabrication process (of that exact stock actually) in post #22. Here it is again...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/80819-shortening-benelli-tactical-stock-la-ned-christiansen.html

Jaywalker
09-21-2017, 11:20 PM
Yup, good stuff. Not knowing this is my penalty for changing pistols reasonably often but keeping one shotgun for 30 years and one rifle for 20. (Actually, I bought other rifles, but either they didn't need recoil pads or they came with them. Also, they didn't stick around.)

Clusterfrack
09-22-2017, 11:25 AM
What about an M4 with the adjustable stock? Is there a reason the M2 is preferable?

Beat Trash
09-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Deleted...

Posted in wrong discussion...

StraitR
09-22-2017, 11:51 AM
What about an M4 with the adjustable stock? Is there a reason the M2 is preferable?

From the large amount of reading I just did on the subject, I would say weight and cost are the two reasons most often given for choosing the M2 > M4.

GJM
09-22-2017, 12:10 PM
From the large amount of reading I just did on the subject, I would say weight and cost are the two reasons most often given for choosing the M2 > M4.

It is also pure performance. The M4 shines in a Marines/LE environment where the shotgun is treated roughly and heavy things are hung in it. The M2 shoots better, which is why you see scads of M2 shotguns in 3 Gun, and almost no M4 shotguns being used. Benny Hill, who knows a bit about shotguns, has discussed this in times past.

I have two 14 inch M2 and one 14 inch M4 shotguns, and I far prefer the M2, both for weight and shooting. The M2 is also easier to accessorize. While you would think the weight and gas system of the M4 would tame recoil, I really don't feel a difference between the M4 and M2 with Brenneke slugs. The reason being how well the Comfortech works.

Craig, I think you have made an intellectual decision on the M4 based on a concern about M2 function with what you think you want to hang in it. Whether that is an issue, as you would equip it, can only be determined by testing. Nobody is going to say that the M4 is a bad shotgun, because it is a fine shotgun. It is just the M2 is an even better shotgun for most applications.

StraitR
09-22-2017, 12:25 PM
ICraig, I think you have made an intellectual decision on the M4 based on a concern about M2 function with what you think you want to hang in it. Whether that is an issue, as you would equip it, can only be determined by testing. Nobody is going to say that the M4 is a bad shotgun, because it is a fine shotgun. It is just the M2 is an even better shotgun for most applications.

I don't disagree, in fact I completely agree. Without owning/shooting both at the same time, set up exactly as I want them, an intellectual decision is the best I can do. That said, I'm not looking for the lightest, or best shooting. I'm looking for the most reliability when hanging a light, side-saddle, optic, and sling on it. Then I'm just going to stick it in a safe or next to my bed at night while traveling the country.

Benelli, and many others, have stated that adding weight to the Inertia System is not a great idea, and that they operate in a "window". I had more typed out in my previous post (the one you quoted) about there not being a definitive weight limit, and that testing your gun, with your accessories, and with your ammo, would be required. I don't feel like doing that, so based on my needs/wants, I feel like I made the right decision for me.

I had an M2 Field, the 26" version with Comfortech, that I used for clay sports and woods walking/calling coyotes. It performed flawlessly, so I'm not adverse to the M2, nor am I entirely uninformed on it's performance. It's a great shotgun, if it accomplishes your desired mission.

ETA: I've also yet to buy a 5th wheel, in fact we continue to look and shop many different types/floorplans. But, my Audi lease is up in a few months and I need to order a truck before then. Even without picking out the 5th wheel first, something EVERYONE says to do, I've settled on ordering a 1-ton diesel dually. I'm doing so, because no matter how heavy the pin weight is on the 5th wheel we decide on, I'm covered by the payload of the dually. No worrying about it, just like hanging all the crap I want on a shotgun.

David S.
09-22-2017, 04:02 PM
nm. Off topic.

Andersen
09-22-2017, 07:34 PM
I recently bought a used Benelli M1 with rifle sights. Cut the straight stock down approximately 1.5 inches. Used a chop saw to cut the stock. Fashioned a wood plug made out of red oak (band saw /sandpaper) with hole in middle to have access to 13mm stock nut; glued wood insert into stock with generous amount of plastic weld epoxy. Obtained from Brownells a Hogue youth/small recoil pad. Then carefully ground it down to fit with 80 and 220 grit on sanding machine - then by hand with 400 grit (some WD40) etc. Then mounted pad on oak insert etc - stock looks like factory. Helpful if you have basic skills and proper tools. Overall not to difficult.

StraitR
09-22-2017, 07:49 PM
I recently bought a used Benelli M1 with rifle sights. Cut the straight stock down approximately 1.5 inches. Used a chop saw to cut the stock. Fashioned a wood plug made out of red oak (band saw /sandpaper) with hole in middle to have access to 13mm stock nut; glued wood insert into stock with generous amount of plastic weld epoxy. Obtained from Brownells a Hogue youth/small recoil pad. Then carefully ground it down to fit with 80 and 220 grit on sanding machine - then by hand with 400 grit (some WD40) etc. Then mounted pad on oak insert etc - stock looks like factory. Helpful if you have basic skills and proper tools. Overall not to difficult.

Nice. Welcome to PF. We need pics man, pics. ;)

Clusterfrack
09-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Looks like you can buy an 18.5" M2 Tactical barrel for $375. That seems like a good way to shorten a compact Field model.

Andersen
09-22-2017, 08:27 PM