PDA

View Full Version : Major Parts Breakage Log

Bucky
09-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Hopefully, this isn't a repeat (I did a search:))

Seems this forum has a lot High usage shooters, so I'm expecting some here have broken some major parts on their pistols.

I'll add a few.

Gun: Caspian 9x21 USPSA Open gun
Approx round count (at time of breakage): 80K
Approx year: 1998
Where: Outdoor practice
Breakage: Broke a locking lug off the top of the barrel
Result: Gun would not go into battery
Resolution: New barrel and comp, this time .38 super
Notes: over the years, I broke multiple firing pin stops. Never cause a function issue, but I'd detail strip the slide, and it would come out in three pieces. Also broke two factory safeties before having a Wilson safety fit. This was my primary, and only true competition gun for over a 4 year period, and was shot and dry fired a lot.

Gun: Beretta Elite 2
Approx round count: 65K+
Approx year: 2007
Where: Local IDPA Match
Breakage: Locking Block
Result: Slide locked up. Had to press down on the locking block lugs to open
Resolution: New locking block kit.
Note: my bad for not replacing it at the recommended 30K

Gun: Springfield Single Stack .38 super setup for USPSA open.
Approx round count: 50K
Year: Don't recall
Where: Unknown
Breakage: cracked frame
Result: Discovered by gunsmith when sent for frame checkering
Resolution: welded

Let's see some others. :)

Bucky
09-17-2017, 07:17 AM
I can't be the only one to break sh....,stuff. :confused:

Hambo
09-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Hopefully, this isn't a repeat (I did a search:))

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-280.html

Bucky
09-17-2017, 08:30 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-280.html

Thanks for the link. I have seen that thread, but I thought this was a bit different. I'm not looking for jams, spring breakages, etc. I was wondering, anyone crack a frame, slide, barrel, etc.

What attracted me to this forum was it's seems many of the members actually shoot their guns, rather than talk about and admire them. Surely a few here have worn some out and / or broken a few parts. :)

That Guy
09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
I don't have a log, so the details are pretty lacking. But since Bucky is feeling lonely here:

My Walther P99, bought in '98, is on its third firing mechanism and second striker assembly. The first striker assembly broke sometime in the... mid naughties? Right in the middle of a stage, no prior warning of any issues. (I can remember the situation very well, I just can't place the event on a calendar with any accuracy. Obviously before my 1911 period, which started in '08.) Gun was unusable until repaired. Second firing mechanism developed a crack into its housing during spring of 2014. Caught it in time, so it wasn't an issue - simply stopped shooting the gun until I could get my hands on a new firing mechanism. Rough round counts for those events would be 10k and 15k, but I really haven't kept any sort of log for that gun so those are guesstimates only.

Girlfriends P99 (also a 1st generation model) was purchased used and broken. No idea how many rounds have gone through it, but externally it looks very beat up. A new firing mechanism (and striker assembly just to make sure) fixed that gun up as well, it has been very reliable ever since.

Arsenal SAR-M1 (7.62x39mm AK): wore out firing mechanism in ~20k rounds. Gun would double during slow fire. Very poor accuracy soon after, looks like the rifling has worn at the end of the barrel. Since politicians have been so eager to ban AK's I haven't had the gun re-barreled yet. Looks like I get to keep mine so now it's just a question of finding the money and a good gunsmith to do it.

SW1911PD: plunger tube became loose. Re-staked it, has been fine since. Feed ramp has been worn down. That one needs a skilled gun smith to fix it or a whole new frame, so it's on my list of things to get to, one day, after I become independently wealthy.

HCM
09-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link. I have seen that thread, but I thought this was a bit different. I'm not looking for jams, spring breakages, etc. I was wondering, anyone crack a frame, slide, barrel, etc.

What attracted me to this forum was it's seems many of the members actually shoot their guns, rather than talk about and admire them. Surely a few here have worn some out and / or broken a few parts. :)

It is hard enough getting gun failure info - I do not think it is useful having two threads.

JonInWA
09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
FN Hi Power Standard in .40; sear went south at approximately 8K rounds; SIG GSR XO, Plunger Tube broke free of staking at rear post at approximately 2K rounds; 1938 P.08 Luger, extractor broke.

I generally judiciously choose, and then maintain and lubricate my weapons, and use quality factory ammunition, so not too much dramatic tends to happen.

Best, Jon