PDA

View Full Version : Turning it into a rock...

derekb
01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Several years ago, before my P7 was gifted me, I gave my grandfather a ride to the hospital for a procedure. He often carries a P7, and was doing so this day. When we parked, he showed me that the striker assembly was easily removed, wrapped in a handkerchief and dropped in the pocket, before asking me to lock the (now disabled [and difficult to restore function to]) pistol in the trunk.

Now, I know that I probably won't be able to carry my P7 forever, replacement bits are already scarce, and at some point even sending it to HK for a repair is probably no longer going to be an option, right?

So, my idle question is this:

Do any current (or relatively current) production pistols have a similar functionality? Specifically, the ability to remove a small (pocketable) component or assembly with minimal fuss (on the order of 10-15 seconds or less?), rather than any internal lock schemes. I really like the idea that if I need to stow my handgun out of my control, I can at least render it useless for anyone who might steal it.

Mostly curiosity.

JDM
01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
You can take the striker out of both an M&P and a GLOCK with just a ball-point pen in about 10 seconds.

derekb
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
You can take the striker out of both an M&P and a GLOCK with just a ball-point in about 10 seconds

Very good to know. Thanks.

SecondsCount
01-13-2012, 12:29 AM
You can take the striker out of both an M&P and a GLOCK with just a ball-point pen in about 10 seconds.

As well as the firing pin out of a 1911. You don't even need to remove the slide if it does not have a firing pin safety.

ToddG
01-13-2012, 12:30 AM
You can take the guide rod and spring out of just about any serious semiauto pistol, which will make it essentially impossible to load or fire. I say essentially because I am sure someone somewhere will now produce a YouTube video firing a gun without the recoil spring installed...

derekb
01-13-2012, 12:36 AM
You can take the guide rod and spring out of just about any serious semiauto pistol

Certainly. I mostly am interested in bring able to drop the bit into a pocket if need be, and not being familiar with any other designs, really, was curious how many were similar.

ToddG
01-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Unless you've got small pockets, the recoil guide rod would meet that requirement for most guns I can think of. It also usually requires no tools to remove. Like any internal part, however, it may be dirty unless you're the guy who cleans his guns after shooting each time, so a handkerchief might also be in order.

YVK
01-13-2012, 02:13 AM
In fairness, there is nothing as fast, tool-free and easily pocketable as P7's fp assembly removal. One caveat here: when fp bushing broke on mine, the pistol remained fully functional - until I removed the assembly. After that, there was no way to put it back, so you may end up with a rock for much longer than intended.
out of options discussed, I like Todd's idea, but I wonder if this is such a priority, then why not to use one of those internal lock enabled pistols, as much as I don't like their concept.

derekb
01-13-2012, 05:10 AM
I admit it's not high on a list of priorities, and certainly would not make or break a decision to buy a particular gun (given how ltitle time I spend in situations where I can even have a gun with me, I'm unlikely to purchase another defensive handgun for a while) but it is something that I would consider.

I mostly asked because I am more or less completely unfamiliar with any other handguns.

Tamara
01-13-2012, 06:10 AM
In fairness, I can honestly say that I never made use of that function on any of my P7s, except in a Trivial Pursuit sense: "Hey, did you know my pistol can do this?" :o

derekb
01-13-2012, 06:19 AM
It's not something there's any common need for, but I have used it. For example, at new year's. I attended a house party over by purdue. When I got to the house, gun was locked in the trunk, striker assembly was in the console. Just a touch more peace of mind.

Al T.
01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Just for funzies, most revolver cylinders are quick to remove. Need a screw driver unless it's a single action. :p

Chuck Haggard
01-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Many pistols, like 3rd gen S&W 9mms and 1911 allow one to pocket the slide release after disassembly of the gun. Small part, hard to find on the street by Joe Averagescumbag

I used to do something similar with my Taurus PT99 way back when, I'd pocket the locking block when leaving the pistols behind. Would work just as well for a Beretta 92 series pistol.