PDA

View Full Version : I has a serious want

Duelist
09-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Man. I really wish I had a bunch of money, or guns I didn't want to keep, lying around. This thing is a Star Wars blaster waiting for an optic.

The trigger shape is fine, but the grittiness and weight leave something to be desired. Maybe be if I hadn't been messing around with a CZ Shadow right before, it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

Supposed to be RDS ready. Takes standard Glock mags. Not very concealable.

Duelist
09-16-2017, 03:50 AM
LOL! I mentioned this on the book of face, and one of my shooting buddies tried to enable me, and one of my music buddies offered to buy my D35 out of the goodness of his heart.

It's a really cool gun, but screw that! I'm keeping the D35.

Bigghoss
09-16-2017, 05:46 PM
I know how you feel. I don't particularly have a strong lust for the Maxim 9 but I do have a strong lust for a very long list of other guns.

CCT125US
09-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Local shop has one, pretty slick idea. Counter guy come over and gave me a hushed "don't bother" said it chokes with everything except 158gr. Great salesman he is, I appreciate honesty.

Hambo
09-16-2017, 07:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken it use a roller-delayed blowback action similar to an MP5 -- which means, like the MP5, it probably needs to be "tuned" for a particular round.

What? I used and fired MP5s a lot, and I was probably in the dark about a lot of things at that time, but I never heard of tuning them to specific ammo.

LittleLebowski
09-16-2017, 08:01 PM
What? I used and fired MP5s a lot, and I was probably in the dark about a lot of things at that time, but I never heard of tuning them to specific ammo.

Yes, they would swap out I think, the rollers or whatever that one part is to tune the weapons.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-16-2017, 08:09 PM
The MP5s have a relatively broad envelope (for a RDB gun anyway) but the operating window for that system is narrow IME. Very dependent on the time to un-wedge the rollers, since you can't change the shape of the wedge or the size of the roller on any system I've seen, at least.

An MP5 that runs great on hot 147 may be pretty mag dependent on 115 grain anything, though. At least in my fairly limited experience.

ETA: by which I mean I have not seen the swapping of the rollers to tune them, not that I have never seen a system in which rollers could be swapped. Sorry, margarita #3

Maple Syrup Actual
09-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Also that edit clarified nothing

Lester Polfus
09-16-2017, 08:26 PM
H&K roller locked guns are typically tuned for different ammo and configurations (stock/no stock, suppressor/no suppressor) by changing out the locking piece (http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135:guide-to-hk-locking-pieces).

The different rollers are to compensate for wear in the working parts, iirc.

I find the choice of a roller locked action in this gun interesting.

Lester Polfus
09-16-2017, 08:49 PM
I have a strong memory of reading/hearing a long time MP5 armorer discussing the relative ammo finickiness of the roller-delayed blowback action and I swear it was specifically with regard to the MP5, but I just spent almost an hour looking for it and can't find it. I might have it archived on my home computer somewhere, but I'm not at home at the moment and can't check. At this point it's probably safe to assume I was/am full of shit and should be ignored.

Not full of shit at all. Our MP5s that ran great with full power 147 grain Ranger duty ammo wouldn't cycle with the pallet of 115 grain practice ammo they ordered one to save money.

Ours were semi auto, apparently these issues are exacerbated in full auto.

We also had some MP5s in .40 that were less reliable in general, but were exceptionally ammo sensitive. It's been awhile but I remember at least twice HK swapping parts on those guns and I think it was the locking pieces.

The local feds had MP5s in 10mm that had two different locking pieces for different power levels of ammo.

TGS
09-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Yes, they would swap out I think, the rollers or whatever that one part is to tune the weapons.

To put that in perspective, I think I remember the late Jim Schatz saying that HK armorers would travel with a combination of some 58(!) different rollers to match not just the type of ammo, but also the various states of wear & tear on the weapon to the ammo....

El Cid
09-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Maxim pistol looks similar to a taser?

JM Campbell
09-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Had the pleasure to watch one run in a local carbine match. The owner was a sot7 as well and said that there was a lot of issues with the Maxim9 at first. His copy of one had already been back to SiCo once. He did not elaborate on what SiCo did to get it to run. Cool gun to see, probably fun as heck to shoot, but most likely a glorified range gun. HCM can comment as well he was present and on the same squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duelist
09-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Had the pleasure to watch one run in a local carbine match. The owner was a sot7 as well and said that there was a lot of issues with the Maxim9 at first. His copy of one had already been back to SiCo once. He did not elaborate on what SiCo did to get it to run. Cool gun to see, probably fun as heck to shoot, but most likely a glorified range gun. HCM can comment as well he was present and on the same squad.

No question, it would be a range gun primarily, with some use as a prop for Star Wars costumes. Just cool, but not practical enough to make happen right now.

Lester Polfus
09-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Maxim pistol looks similar to a taser?

It does look like a Taser.

My first thought actually was that it looked like something that would come in the blister pack with one of the GI Joe figures I collected in the '80s.

HCM
09-16-2017, 11:12 PM
To put that in perspective, I think I remember the late Jim Schatz saying that HK armorers would travel with a combination of some 58(!) different rollers to match not just the type of ammo, but also the various states of wear & tear on the weapon to the ammo....

This ^^ is one of the few downsides to the MP-5 from an institutional point of view and a big reason (after profit) why HK has pushed the UMP so hard.

HCM
09-16-2017, 11:13 PM

It was cool and functioned ok but I was more interested in the suppressed 10/22 SBR the guy was running.

The Maxim seemed to big and bulky for the pistols traditional niche of "handiness."

It reminded me of the pistols with the old Ginormous Surefire WML from the 1990's.

Bigghoss
09-17-2017, 12:44 AM
The Maxim 9 is a good concept but an early example of the concept. I think others will build on it and eventually we'll have some solid intregrilly suppressed pistols. Would be nice to have a duty sidearm that didn't damage your hearing if you had to cap an asshole.

Hambo
09-17-2017, 06:07 AM
I have a strong memory of reading/hearing a long time MP5 armorer discussing the relative ammo finickiness of the roller-delayed blowback action and I swear it was specifically with regard to the MP5, but I just spent almost an hour looking for it and can't find it. I might have it archived on my home computer somewhere, but I'm not at home at the moment and can't check. At this point it's probably safe to assume I was/am full of shit and should be ignored.

Not full of shit at all. Our MP5s that ran great with full power 147 grain Ranger duty ammo wouldn't cycle with the pallet of 115 grain practice ammo they ordered one to save money.

Ours were semi auto, apparently these issues are exacerbated in full auto.

We also had some MP5s in .40 that were less reliable in general, but were exceptionally ammo sensitive. It's been awhile but I remember at least twice HK swapping parts on those guns and I think it was the locking pieces.

The local feds had MP5s in 10mm that had two different locking pieces for different power levels of ammo.

Thanks, guys. We were taught to shoot them and take them down for cleaning, but any other info was probably deemed too much for us to handle.

joshs
09-17-2017, 09:54 AM

Local shop has one, pretty slick idea. Counter guy come over and gave me a hushed "don't bother" said it chokes with everything except 158gr. Great salesman he is, I appreciate honesty.

I've shot quite a few Maxim 9s with different types of ammo, and I haven't seen the issues that Mr. Counter Guy is referring to.

Balisong
09-17-2017, 10:27 AM
I handled one at a shop a few weeks ago. Cool concept, but man that trigger was AWFUL