PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle tool kit

rob_s
09-15-2017, 01:02 PM
I've carried various tool kits and boxes in my vehicles over the years, but oddly find myself without one in my current truck. When I was young and broke the tool kit was a necessity to stay on the road but as my lot has improved so have my vehicles and as such I haven't found the tool kit to be as much of a requirement. Frankly, there hasn't been a whole lot I couldn't get done with one of my Leatherman tools and/or the demolition hammer under the seat, but I seem to find myself more and more often wanting things like a ratchet in various situations. It's not that the Leatherman won't do the job, it's just that having some better tools would make it easier, and provided that the tolls aren't taking up any real space in the truck, why not?

I'm largely considering just hitting the Home Depot or Lowes and getting one of their package kits, but as must as for the sake of discussion as anything I'm curious what folks think are the minimum requirements, and what you carry in your vehicle.

I'm thinking I'd like to be able to do minor emergency repairs on the truck but also be able to do things like make repairs at the in-laws when I'm there, or a vacation rental, etc. Also some amount of outdoorsing type tinkering (whatever that means).

For example, I have no expectation of this being top shelf
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Household-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/999957735

Gray222
09-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Craftsman 230-Piece Silver Finish Standard Metric Mechanics Tool Set 230 pc #165 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD1LXBL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lKbVzb5KXD5Q0

GCBHM
09-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Nice thread! I've got a small bag of things, but would like to incorporate a better system. I've seen a system posted to Facebook, but I think that would make an attractive target for wouldbe thieves. One guy I knew back in the day bought a cheap set for a truck box, which I thought was smart bc if they are stolen you're not out much. Then again, insurance would play a part in restoring what was stolen. Food for thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
09-15-2017, 01:46 PM
These days, I have an 8" Crescent Wrench and one of these:

Picquic X-7 SixPac Plus Multi-bit Screwdriver (Assorted Colors) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018IV8WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_K-bVzbR4PEVKP

Oh, and a roll of 1" Gorilla tape.

Trukinjp13
09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Pretty decent vid on this.

https://youtu.be/8UF9nIp82-E

I carry similar stuff

Trukinjp13
09-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Also these work great for radiator/heater/fuel/brake hose stuff. There are multiple types by diff brands. Clamps are awesome for any spring clamp. And the pinch works great to block off hoses or lines to lose less fluid and not damage hose or lines

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/bf8e61dfc95f5d4d5d467d003b011b31.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/28186e916807d4afc6d96d8430171b35.jpg

Hambo
09-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Got to be able to see. I think mine came from an auto parts store. https://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-512-12-Volt-13-Watt-Fluorescent/dp/B000256RAA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1505502085&sr=8-12&keywords=12v+work+light

Also in my truck:
big Mag Lite
20oz claw hammer
adjustable wrench
large channel lock pliers
screwdriver
folding camp shovel
duct tape
gloves

Other than tire changes I haven't had to work on a car in years. Mainly this stuff is for the range and hunting stands or feeders.

RevolverRob
09-15-2017, 02:17 PM
I actually have this in the 6-year old Mazda: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Stubby-Wrench-and-Socket-Set-46-Piece-H46PCSTS/300117122 - It fits in a slim little plastic case that keeps everything organized and doesn't rattle. It's about the side of an iPad when stored.

Plus a hammer.
Plus a Gerber multi-tool.

This set has worked for all minor repairs I've needed to make on the car.

I have something slightly more extensive in the 60-year old British car...but it requires more...repair...than a 5-6 year old car does.

ETA: Oh and for a flashlight - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cat-CT1000-175-Lumen-COB-LED-Flashlight-with-Magnetic-Base/50372608?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227037974581&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=97662602554&wl4=pla-125164054112&wl5=9021740&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=50372608&wl13=&veh=sem

I've found NOTHING better than these angled LED floods with magnets. They are pocket sized, stick, stand, and can be rotated. I use them in the garage for straight up working on the car. They get in the way less than a drop light.

And of course duct tape and a few rags, because that stuff is invaluable.

M2CattleCo
09-15-2017, 02:45 PM
My work truck has an air compressor and enough tools to take apart a tractor or small dozer.

That truck is a 2012 GMC. My other truck is a 2011 F150. If anything happens other than a flat tire or a broken belt, it's probably takin' a ride on the hook. Without diagnostic capability, you ain't fixin' much on these.

schüler
09-15-2017, 03:13 PM
I grew up poor and fixing vehicles. Growing up that way + having a hard tonneau cover means my truck gets filled with tools. If not for me then for friends and good co-workers.

I flippin hate cheap tools. From off the top of my head:

Gloves, surplus euro mil long sleeve shirt, cardboard to kneel or lay on
~60pc socket set + compact lug nut socket set (awesome with makita cordless 1/2 impact), good 4-way lug wrench
Small 2 ton hydraulic floor jack + blocking in the form of short 2x4s, 4x4s
Generic hand tool bag; channellocks, multi-meter, etc.
Recovery stuff; hi-lift jack + kit, recovery straps, receiver clevis/shackle, shovels, 50' chain
Basic vehicle fluids
Decent jumper cables, Viair compressor, wheel chock
Truck service manual in PDF form on laptop and tablet. Would be best if on my phones... hmm, need to rectify that.

That said, I've had 12yrs/180k on the Tundra and only replaced signal lamps, shifter bushing and u-joints. I'm doing the clutch next. Never pass up an opportunity to add tools...

Just remembered one of the 3-gun guys from Minnesota (IIRC) left a Texas match with a pair of my vise grips pinching off his Crown Vic's rear brake line...

You might be surprised what electronic basics you can troubleshoot with a decent reference.

Bratch
09-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Going off the top of my head I have the following in a tub that is ratchet strapped against the cab.

Cold Steel shovel
Folding saw
Camp hatchet
Various ratchet straps
Various bungee cords
100' rope
Tarp
Recovery strap
Shackles
Husky/Home Depot Socket set
Husky Driver set
Micro ratchet and driver
Large and small crescent
Jumper cables
Gloves

I'm sure I'm missing something, main purpose of my kit is to get home following wind/tornado storms with trees across the roads and possible ice and snow in the winter.

schüler
09-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Forgot to add... set of upper/lower radiator hoses and serpentine belt. Actually two belts for some reason. Probably ought to change it. I only buy Gates hoses and belts. rockauto.com for the win on OEM or quality parts.

That Guy
09-16-2017, 10:42 AM
rockauto.com for the win on OEM or quality parts.

Rockauto is pretty awesome.

RevolverRob
09-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Rockauto is pretty awesome.

One thing to watch out.

When ordering a larger amount of stuff from them (4+ items), RockAuto will deliberately ship you things from different warehouses. You can try to arrange it so all the items you want come from one warehouse, but their shipping algorithm doesn't allow it. This appears to be to charge you more for shipping.

It really pisses me off that they do this, because it not only costs me money, but it turns my one shipment into two shipments.

So, you can either split your order up or go with another vendor.

If you join AutoZone's Rewards program, every time you spend $20 you get $4 in rewards, such at after $100 you get $20 in reward value. I've "saved" approximately $200 buying things via their reward program, by using reward money to buy other stuff. It works online and in store, but you do have to spend $20+ in a single purchase to get the reward. Most cashiers have no problem ringing up stuff to maximize rewards. You can also do multiple purchases online and Autozone will usually box everything up in one box if you make multiple same-day orders.

That Guy
09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Does AutoZone ship overseas reliably and for a reasonable cost?

(But yes, you do have to keep an eye on shipping with RockAuto. Both so that you don't end up paying for two shipments, and also the pull-down menu on the available shipping choices do not make it very clear which ones are handled by USPS/local post and which ones use courier companies.)

OlongJohnson
09-16-2017, 12:44 PM
A few years ago, shortly after doing a major service (valve adjustment, timing belt, water pump, new belts, oil change, etc.), about 2/3 of the way up to Austin to visit family, the battery light came on. Of course, I'd been driving it to work for a few days, and figured it was vetted, so I wasn't carrying any tools. Had to keep driving to the next town to find an open Tractor Supply and buy some wrenches so I could even check whether, say, the alternator belt had loosened up. Turned out it hadn't. I had to drive back to Houston on battery power, stopping in Brenham at the Walmart to get the battery charged. The alternator had gone out, something completely unrelated to any of the work I'd done. Having tools didn't save my trip, but not even being able to attempt diagnosis freaked me out.

Since then, all my cars have an 18-in Craftsman tool bag with the following:

gallon of water
quart of oil (in a ziploc with paper towels in case it seeps)
rubber wheel chocks (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594358_200594358), because you won't necessarily be on perfectly level ground when you have to use the little factory jack
mechanics gloves and a few pair of the Harbor Freight 7-mil nitrile ones
partial roll of paper towels
reflector triangle
safety vest
jumper cables
an extra plastic grocery bag
tools will vary by vehicle, but this is what was in the Mazda I sold:

set of 6-pt sockets
ratchet handle
extension
combination wrench set
needle nose pliers
#1 and #2 Philips
1/4" flat blade screwdriver

Thinking about it, I should probably add some zip-ties and a crescent wrench. I'm not a real fan of tape left in a vehicle, as the adhesive gets gooey and it's not likely to be effective when needed. But a partial roll of duct tape wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I work on road safety, and people do run into cars on the side of the road (even big things like tractor trailers), even when they're pretty far off the road.

The problem with a lot of the prepackaged kits sold is they either don't support doing actual work on the vehicle, or they include a lot of stuff that is unlikely to be used, or have a lot of duplication. Unlike doing regular service, where convenience and optimization make a difference, you generally don't need three sizes of the same thing just to get the car off the side of the road. Doing at least some of your own maintenance helps here, as you'll have an idea what you usually use. More cars are using Torx or E-style (reverse Torx) head fasteners. You need the right sockets to work on them. There are little weirdnesses, too. Asian cars will almost never have a 13 or 16mm hex head, because those are in DIN fastener specs but not JIS. But US and European cars will have those sizes. Make sure the socket set you buy actually has the sizes your vehicle needs (most don't include 16mm), and buy singles to complete it if necessary.

Compact storage is key. I hate blow-molded cases, because they make a given tool capability take up waaay more space than it should. They also are basically incapable of holding anything but the set of tools they were designed for, so if you supplement with a few extra items, they become a PITA because they don't integrate into the system. I use a lot of ziplocs, and I hoard the heavier-duty ones that parts are often shipped in. (Like hardware from Fastenal...)

Leaking fluid is a big problem, but most leaks are slow rather than catastrophic, and sometimes just being able to put more fluid in it will allow you to self-rescue, even if that's only far enough to get to a bigger supply of fluid and self-rescue again.

Don't forget to maintain the air pressure in your spare tire. It does no good when you have a flat if the spare is at 15 psi.

Separate from the bag, I have a tire pressure gauge and all the wheel changing stuff ready. If you've changed wheels from the ones that came on your car, or added wheel locks, be sure that you have tools that will work with the lug nuts or bolts and locks that are actually on the car. And make sure it won't tear up the finish of the wheels if there is an inset around the nuts. Lots of times, the "key" for a lock set takes a different size wrench than the lug nuts, so you need a breaker bar and socket sized to work with the lock. Oh, and make sure the lug nuts holding your main wheels on are compatible with the wheel the spare tire is on.

Always carry a fire extinguisher. My cousin once told of watching three cars burn to the ground in a year (ones he happened upon, not ones he had any responsibility for), all for want of anyone around having a fire extinguisher.

On-the-road vehicle problems generally fall into just a few categories:
tire problems
something leaking
something being loose
an electrical component (i.e., alternator, ignitor, etc.) suddenly stopping working
dead battery

Maintaining the vehicle and keeping up with preventive maintenance will eliminate many, but not all problems. Some can't be addressed without parts. But most can be patched up well enough to get off the side of the road with a pretty limited set of tools.

Overall, my focus is in getting off the road, to a place where I am safe, have access to more resources (stores, especially) and can get the thing repaired properly and/or massively less expensively, and in less time than waiting for a tow truck. I'm not trying to drive from London through Mongolia unsupported.

David S.
09-16-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking one of the 12"-15" contractor bags (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8BAM1S/ref=asc_df_B00K8BAM1S5172808/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00K8BAM1S&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198075824790&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12758145315403232413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026829&hvtargid=pla-320331970778) might be a good storage option for this kind of stuff.

schüler
09-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Add fuse spares, maybe relay spares. If you're driving a seriously older vehicle, add 12ga wire to the list. At different times I've had to direct-wire headlamps, wiper motor and blower motor due to failed power switches. Really not a fan of any Chrysler products... and the only parts I liked were made by Cummins and Getrag.

Olong, I love those zipper pouch sets and soft and hard side tool bags from Home Depot. Use them for tools, 2-way radio sets, shooting, etc.

Caballoflaco
09-16-2017, 08:32 PM
I haven't seen a tire-plug kit and compressor mentioned.

I also think a head-lamp in addition to a flashlight is the dog's bollacks when it comes to working on stuff in the dark when you need both hands. It certainly beats a mini mag-lite with tape wrapped around it so you don't break your teeth while holding it in your mouth and laying under your truck trying to replace a starter.

One more addition. Safety glasses. It's real easy to get debris in your eyeballs working under a vehicle that's covered in road grime.

David S.
09-16-2017, 09:03 PM

I'm strongly considering this VIAIR 300p (https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-30033-300P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X90YUO/). I'd want something that attaches to the battery. Anything powered by a cigarette lighter adapter will take forever.

txdpd
09-16-2017, 09:06 PM
A small board or piece of sheet metal to put under a jack. I've had a bottle jack sink a few inches into a dirt road and was not able to mount the spare tire.

A set of reverse helical threaded sockets for stripped lug nuts. I haven't needed one for my cars but I've helped change several flat tires where the people did not have the key for their security lug nut.

BJXDS
09-16-2017, 09:29 PM
My work truck has an air compressor and enough tools to take apart a tractor or small dozer.

That truck is a 2012 GMC. My other truck is a 2011 F150. If anything happens other than a flat tire or a broken belt, it's probably takin' a ride on the hook. Without diagnostic capability, you ain't fixin' much on these.

YEP pretty much anything other than a flat is probably electric related. In any case a blanket, gloves, board to support a jack, small air compressor with cig adapter, rope, duct tape, pliers, and a screw driver, oh and 1 extra wind shield washer blade.

schüler
09-16-2017, 10:39 PM
My Viair 88P has been great for the last 5yrs, I follow the power on/cool down cycle recommendation. Hose + power cable is juuuust long enough to reach back tires on the Tundra Access Cab. Have used on slightly longer trucks by putting the compressor on top of a front tire. Would need to splice an extension for longer vehicles.

OlongJohnson
09-16-2017, 11:34 PM
I'm thinking one of the 12"-15" contractor bags (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8BAM1S/ref=asc_df_B00K8BAM1S5172808/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00K8BAM1S&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198075824790&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12758145315403232413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026829&hvtargid=pla-320331970778) might be a good storage option for this kind of stuff.

I use the 18" Craftsman bag. The 13" that comes in the combo (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-in-18-in-tool-bag-combo/p-00937537000P) makes a decent little range bag, and I appreciate that it doesn't say "guns inside".

One more addition. Safety glasses. It's real easy to get debris in your eyeballs working under a vehicle that's covered in road grime.

If your spare is maintained, the tire plug kit doesn't really add much for a street vehicle. Off-road, I've seen a guy Frankenstein-stitch a three-finger-wide sidewall flap with baling wire and get it to hold about 10-12 psi, which was all he used in his rock crawler anyway. He added plugs as it began leaking through the day, finishing the trail with 13 plugs in it.

+1 for the safety glasses. I need to add them. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox, not in the tool bag.

Caballoflaco
09-17-2017, 12:04 AM
I use the 18" Craftsman bag. The 13" that comes in the combo (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-in-18-in-tool-bag-combo/p-00937537000P)

If your spare is maintained, the tire plug kit doesn't really add much for a street vehicle. Off-road, I've seen a guy Frankenstein-stitch a three-finger-wide sidewall flap with baling wire and get it to hold about 10-12 psi, which was all he used in his rock crawler anyway. He added plugs as it began leaking through the day, finishing the trail with 13 plugs in it.

+1 for the safety glasses. I need to add them. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox, not in the tool bag.

If you've got a screw or nail in a tire, especially on a truck where you have some room to work, pulling out a plug kit and fixing the tire permenantly is a lot less work than putting on a spare tire. The plug kit is the spare for your spare, and on my motorcycle it is the "spare".

Also, I've driven by the aftermath of someone dropping a box of nails or screws on the interstate more than once and seen several cars on the side of the road waiting for a tow because they had more than one flat tire.

OlongJohnson
09-17-2017, 12:14 AM
My only objection to that is that a plug applied from the outside really isn't a permanent repair. A correct repair is both plugged to seal the structure of the tire from weather (the steel belts can rust and cause problems if not sealed) and patched on the inside of the inner liner. Anything less has greater risk of failure.

txdpd
09-17-2017, 01:06 PM
If you've got a screw or nail in a tire, especially on a truck where you have some room to work, pulling out a plug kit and fixing the tire permenantly is a lot less work than putting on a spare tire. The plug kit is the spare for your spare, and on my motorcycle it is the "spare".

Also, I've driven by the aftermath of someone dropping a box of nails or screws on the interstate more than once and seen several cars on the side of the road waiting for a tow because they had more than one flat tire.

The only time you really need a spare tire on the freeway is if you have a blowout and throw the tread on a drive tire, and are just spinning a rim on the pavement. Maybe if you're in BFE and it's more than 15 miles to the next exit. There's aren't any wheels and tires that cost more than getting hit by some idiot that isn't paying attention. The fatality rate for stranded motorist getting hit by cars at freeway speed is close to 100%.

I stop sticked a car one night in a chase and it was 15 more miles at 50+ mph before it was on rims. People just need to limp their cars off of the road.

Gater
09-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Some excellent points here. I've never used one to try to inflate a fully deflated plugged tire, but I've fully gotten my money's worth out of one of the lead acid battery jump starter/tire inflator combos I picked up a while back. I don't have a full size compressor, so I use it regularly to stay on top of tire pressure at home and on trips while avoiding the convergence of task fixation and stupid people, stupid things, and stupid place that comes along with using a gas station compressor. I have used the jump start feature many times to assist co-workers and others (amazing how many people have no idea how old their car battery is), and it is worth the space and weight of hauling it on road trips to have some ability to self aid without seeking the "kindness" of strangers that jumper cables entail. Features (and quality, I'm sure) vary, but most of these have a light and charging ports for other devices, too, and some have a built in inverter so it can be used as a power source at camp site, etc.

After assisting a co-worker with a dead battery recently, I had a new (for me) experience: the battery was so dead that the electric power steering in her vehicle would not function consistently after the car was running. That reinforced my practice of keeping a dedicated box wrench in my glove compartment that fits the battery terminals and holddowns so that I can pull it and replace it if necessary. Mine came with some assemble it yourself furniture, so it wasn't separated from a set and there's no chance I'm going to pull it out of the car for another task and forget to put it back like I might with a Leatherman or socket set.

Believe someone mentioned these already, but I'll put in a plug for the Cold Steel "Special Forces" shovel. Lame name but legit tool. Don't cheap out and skip the sheath--sharpened up, it is definitely multi-purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Special-Forces-Shovel/dp/B00VIPZS9O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505673402&sr=8-5&keywords=cold+steel+shovel

Caballoflaco
09-17-2017, 02:43 PM
The only time you really need a spare tire on the freeway is if you have a blowout and throw the tread on a drive tire, and are just spinning a rim on the pavement. Maybe if you're in BFE and it's more than 15 miles to the next exit. There's aren't any wheels and tires that cost more than getting hit by some idiot that isn't paying attention. The fatality rate for stranded motorist getting hit by cars at freeway speed is close to 100%.

I stop sticked a car one night in a chase and it was 15 more miles at 50+ mph before it was on rims. People just need to limp their cars off of the road.

Thanks for the reminder that just because we can doesn't mean we should, and you're right we shouldn't.

David S.
09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
I'm strongly considering this VIAIR 300p (https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-30033-300P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X90YUO/). I'd want something that attaches to the battery. Anything powered by a cigarette lighter adapter will take forever.

I just picked up a Pittsburgh 12V Compact Compressor (https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-69285.html) for $60 at Harbor Freight. It's rated at 1.35 CFM, compared to the VIAIR 300P at 2.3 CFM. VIAIR also has the 88P and 90P that have price point and CFM ratings closer to the Pittsburgh unit but don't appear to include an installed pressure gauge at the air chuck, which is nice.

I didn't try to inflate any fully flat tires but all the tires on my minivan and sedan were about 5-10 psi low after a temperature drop last week. Each tire took about 20-30 seconds to bring back up to proper pressure. I'd say this unit is the way to go for occasional (emergency roadside) use. I'd probably invest in the higher end VIAIR if I intended to regularly for air up tires after four wheeling, or whatever.

My only minor complaint so far is the pressure gauge on the compressor reads a few PSI high compared to my digital pressure gauge but is close enough to get me in the ballpark. This in not terribly surprising considering the cost, and I wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive VIAIR suffered the same problem. I carry a separate digital pressure gauge anyway.

Caballoflaco
09-19-2017, 06:01 PM
While it wasn't much fun, I've successfully inflated a mostly flat and plugged truck tire with a bicycle floor pump. It was work, but it took less time than I thought it would.

Tensaw
09-20-2017, 06:19 AM
Great thread.
RE: the Harbor Freight air compressors that plug into the cigarette lighters, read the directions for use on those. There is a specific order of operation for plugging it in and turning it on. If you get the sequence out of order, you *will* blow the fuse, and then - no air. Oh, and spare fuses might be handy.

ETA: I have considered, and probably now will, clipping off the cigarette light plug and throwing some alligator clips on there along with additional wire so I can connect directly to the battery and side-step the fuse thing.

lwt16
09-20-2017, 07:21 AM
I've fixed a whole lot of cars on the job that had been involved in minor collisions. Aside from tools, I always like to carry things for rough body work on the side of the road. Most cars have a lot of plastic on the front and back of them and I have found three items vital for fixing/removing said body parts.

1. Leatherman with a serrated blade for cutting away bumpers and such.
2. Gorilla tape. I have taped up all sorts of bumpers and other parts and that stuff holds great.
3. 550/paracord. If I couldn't cut through it or tape it, and there were pre-drilled holes available, paracord would work wonders tying things back together again.

I have a small set of sockets/ratchet that I carry in the patrol car and that has come in handy for roadside assistance. Jumper cables and a good four way lug wrench are essential items as well. All my personal vehicles also have led flashlights with lithium batteries that don't leak right next to a tire pressure gauge/dial.

Large roll of paper towels with hand sanitizer in all of them as well. We keep clean cars so after some roadside work, I like to have something to clean up with. And since I never work on anything without busting a knuckle, I always have a small first aid kit to fix boo boos. Rain pancho is like gold too if it's pouring down rain........and it always is when I have to work on something in the crash lane.

21 years of LE has afforded me the opportunity to work on all sorts of cars/trucks over the years to help those stranded and tool-less.

Regards.

rob_s
09-20-2017, 07:51 AM
maybe I just need one of these...
https://www.protoolreviews.com/toolboxes-storage/veto-pro-pac-camo-tech-pac-backpack/32640/

In all seriousness, thanks for the discussion everyone. I should probably clarify that I mean for this toolkit to be in-vehicle but meant for tasks other than just roadside assistance, such as working on/at the inlaws house.

The first thing I've arrived at as a must have is the Megapro 211R1C36RD 1-Inch 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VJY1FQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2LA7ZCMCOKK1L&colid=1QPXMNI89TSVZ). This version takes standard bits vs the double-ended bits of the non-automotive version (https://www.amazon.com/Megapro-211R2C36RD-13-Ratcheting-Driver/dp/B004VJY1EC/ref=pd_sim_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VJY1EC&pd_rd_r=54KBR1D2NEBEH54KF237&pd_rd_w=4Okqa&pd_rd_wg=ttrLz&psc=1&refRID=54KBR1D2NEBEH54KF237) I keep in my kitchen drawer. By allowing for standard bit I can also grab a set of bits and be able to tackle basically any sort of fastener.

Beyond that, I'm thinking (some of which I already have):
Mini screwdriver
(https://www.amazon.com/Maxcraft-60609-Precision-Pocket-Screwdriver/dp/B003BXS4T2/ref=pd_sim_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003BXS4T2&pd_rd_r=FJ1JMD5VJ2TSD7WGF0XD&pd_rd_w=Trbzl&pd_rd_wg=Fr3BB&psc=1&refRID=FJ1JMD5VJ2TSD7WGF0XD)

Hammer
Adjustable wrench
Channellock pliers
Dikes
Small ratchet set (imperial and metric sockets)
Duct tape (even though I know it will get gummy)
550 Cord
Actual real rope (550 ain't rope)
Ratchet straps
Jumper cables
Mechanix Gloves
Cold Steel shovel

David S.
09-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Dikes

it's women in comfortable shoes.

lwt16
09-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Forgot the rope.....I have two sections of 100 foot rope in the patrol SUV. Haven't had to use either yet.

schüler
09-20-2017, 08:53 AM
If relegated to vehicle use the Veto's heavier weight isn't an issue. Klein, Milwaukee and knockoff tool backpacks are as well but at a lesser price.

One more recommendation on the Ridgid boxes and storage totes and I'll shut up. Can keep cheap tool organizer bag, compressor and jumper cables in one box. Easily move out of way, easy transfer to another vehicle. Recovery stuff in another tote.

NEPAKevin
09-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Forgot the rope.....I have two sections of 100 foot rope in the patrol SUV. Haven't had to use either yet.

Toss them out and see if the god of shitty days, some people call him Murphy, is watching.

Malamute
09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
https://www.protoolreviews.com/toolboxes-storage/veto-pro-pac-camo-tech-pac-backpack/32640/

In all seriousness, thanks for the discussion everyone. I should probably clarify that I mean for this toolkit to be in-vehicle but meant for tasks other than just roadside assistance, such as working on/at the inlaws house.

The first thing I've arrived at as a must have is the Megapro 211R1C36RD 1-Inch 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VJY1FQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2LA7ZCMCOKK1L&colid=1QPXMNI89TSVZ). This version takes standard bits vs the double-ended bits of the non-automotive version (https://www.amazon.com/Megapro-211R2C36RD-13-Ratcheting-Driver/dp/B004VJY1EC/ref=pd_sim_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VJY1EC&pd_rd_r=54KBR1D2NEBEH54KF237&pd_rd_w=4Okqa&pd_rd_wg=ttrLz&psc=1&refRID=54KBR1D2NEBEH54KF237) I keep in my kitchen drawer. By allowing for standard bit I can also grab a set of bits and be able to tackle basically any sort of fastener.

Mini screwdriver
(https://www.amazon.com/Maxcraft-60609-Precision-Pocket-Screwdriver/dp/B003BXS4T2/ref=pd_sim_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003BXS4T2&pd_rd_r=FJ1JMD5VJ2TSD7WGF0XD&pd_rd_w=Trbzl&pd_rd_wg=Fr3BB&psc=1&refRID=FJ1JMD5VJ2TSD7WGF0XD)

Hammer
Adjustable wrench
Channellock pliers
Dikes
550 Cord
Ratchet straps
Jumper cables
Mechanix Gloves
Cold Steel shovel

Ive done general light maintenance apart from building, including plumbing, electrical, drywall repair, door jambs and whatever. I could usually get most small chores done with little in the way of tools in hand, but a few special ones helped tremendously in the rare times they were needed. One in particular is a basin nut wrench to get to the water lines jammed way up behind sinks. I took a pic of the stuff thats usually in my truck all the time, and it has the basics of what was usually enough for small repairs or maintenance on the small apartment building I took care of and private houses. Id take the small leather tool bag along and grab what was most likely to be needed, it make it simple to keep track of stuff and get it where it was needed. A 2 gallon bucket can also be really handy for tools and materials on small repairs or chores.

Your list is pretty good. The pic may give some more ideas. The basin nut wrench is the weird red tool in the upper left. May only need it every couple years, but saves huge amount of aggravation. I have adapters to use 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets with the screw gun. Very handy at times. Missing in the pic is the little 5 compartment clear tackle box of various size drywall screws. I kept spare driver tips in with it also, besides the various tips in different boxes and in the front of the grip. Phillips and T25 were most used to lived in the gun tip and handle. The pistol lanyard is pretty handy when on ladders or whatever and you need both hands free at times yet your (screw)gun handy.

Edit: Didnt realize how bad the picture was until I posted it. My cell doesnt have a very good camera. Apologies.

txdpd
09-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the reminder that just because we can doesn't mean we should, and you're right we shouldn't.

I didn't mean to direct that at you. I was venting at the number of idiots that are perfectly comfortable with placing the value of a wheel over human life, or don't know that they can drive on a flat tire.

Bolt cutter are useful in areas where tire chains are used, especially along commercial vehicle routes. Wrap one around an axle or drive shaft and you're not going anywhere until it's off.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-22-2017, 12:21 AM

Mini screwdriver

Hammer
Adjustable wrench
Channellock pliers
Dikes
550 Cord
Ratchet straps
Jumper cables
Mechanix Gloves
Cold Steel shovel

I don't know what "dikes" means in this context

This plus more pliers, a couple of pry bars, hose clamps of various sizes, spare fuses, 14g and 12g wire, about a hundred 12" zipties and both brass and steel wire is pretty much what lives on my boat. Oh, also some sandpaper of various types, mostly for cleaning up electrical contacts if necessary. There's other stuff in my repair bag but unless you're afraid you'll drive into a log and then prevent your truck from sinking, I think that's almost everything that applies.

Well, I guess maybe this might still apply: I keep a tarp with lines already run off the eyelets on hand. For me it's an emergency hole patch which at first I thought would only apply to water travel but it suddenly occurs to me that if you live in stormsville you could absolutely find yourself suddenly needing to cover a surprise opening, say an in-laws' skylight, and having lines already tied on would probably speed up the process of covering a debris-smashed picture window or whatever.

Anyway I will say that on a semi-regular basis I'm in conditions that would be extremely dangerous (like radio for immediate rescue and pray for sufficiently timely response dangerous) if I couldn't keep at least one engine running and if I'm down to my backup motor it would still be...wildly unpleasant. And I've spent a lot of time working on all the mechanical systems on my boat, which are a mix of Ford and Volvo Penta from about 1980, and current Mercury stuff. But so far I haven't run into any realistic surprise issues which can't be handled with the above tools.

txdpd
09-22-2017, 12:28 AM

Wire cutters. I learned that one a couple years ago, no idea how that came about.

rob_s
09-22-2017, 05:47 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

rob_s
09-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Wire cutters. I learned that one a couple years ago, no idea how that came about.

Diags or Dikes (a portmanteau of "Diagonal CutterS" is pronounced "dikes"

secondstoryguy
09-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Anyone have a good solution for a lightweight off road capable jack for a truck? I've been googling but can decide whether or not to go with an aluminum floor jack or a bottle jack. I've used the high lift jacks but in my experience they only work if you have jackpoints out on the edges of the vehicle which I don't.

rob_s
06-04-2020, 08:23 AM
well shit I posted this in the wrong thread...

Welder
06-04-2020, 08:41 AM
I moved my reply to your proper thread also.

rob_s
06-04-2020, 08:54 AM
What I *did* mean to post in this thread...

I did finally arrive at a kit, which I think I posted about but now don't see, which I'm about to re-create for the wife's car. The contents of the new kit are shaping up as
TEKTON 25282 Long Arm Ball End Hex Key Wrench Set, Inch/Metric with TEKTON 25291 Star Key Set (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8K6TUO/?coliid=I4OOVLURWS4ID&colid=10VXEPHD88CBY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)
TEKTON Pliers Set, 6-Piece | PLR99020 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPRX5DC/?coliid=IMSFA8XTSCTRD&colid=10VXEPHD88CBY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)
Maxcraft 60609 7-In-1 Precision Pocket Screwdriver (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BXS4T2/?coliid=ISZK10507B47V&colid=10VXEPHD88CBY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)
MegaPro 211R1C36RD 1" 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits in Red (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VJY1FQ/?coliid=I1SN0SNNOEDKQN&colid=10VXEPHD88CBY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

jtcarm
06-04-2020, 11:49 AM
This:

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK170CMP2-herramientas-mecánicos-piezas/dp/B00F4AVRGW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cresent+toolkit&qid=1591287153&sr=8-1

Since I often go off road for which mudding is required, a come-along, tow strap & shovel.

rob_s
06-04-2020, 12:34 PM
This:

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK170CMP2-herramientas-mecánicos-piezas/dp/B00F4AVRGW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cresent+toolkit&qid=1591287153&sr=8-1

Since I often go off road for which mudding is required, a come-along, tow strap & shovel.

that's not a bad kit. I think for my current purposes of outfitting the wife's car (a) that size case will not be tolerated (lol) and (b) the sockets themselves might be overkill.

That said, I might be able to put that kit in my truck, and hide my current bagged-kit in the wife's car ;)