PDA

View Full Version : P30l vs P30sk

Tomahawk
09-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi guys - I'm looking for others experiences with the HK P30l. I currently shoot the HK P30sk with the V1 LEM. I shoot the gun quite well and find the LEM to be my preference for concealment and edc. I'm considering investing in an identical P30l for Idpa to stay consistent with platform.

1. Do you think the larger gun will offer any material advantages over the sk (with extended base plates) in terms of shootability or accuracy?

2. Is the P30L as reliable as say the P30 or a Sig p226? Reason I ask, I see some YouTube videos of guys complaining of malfunctions but there isn't as much commentary on the L as the regular P30 in general.

Tamara
09-12-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm currently at the 1200-round mark of a 2k round test with a P30L V3. There have been no malfunctions of any type to report.

The gun is stupid easy to shoot well. I'd be shocked if an SK was as easy for me to run.

GJM
09-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Hi guys - I'm looking for others experiences with the HK P30l. I currently shoot the HK P30sk with the V1 LEM. I shoot the gun quite well and find the LEM to be my preference for concealment and edc. I'm considering investing in an identical P30l for Idpa to stay consistent with platform.

1. Do you think the larger gun will offer any material advantages over the sk (with extended base plates) in terms of shootability or accuracy?

2. Is the P30L as reliable as say the P30 or a Sig p226? Reason I ask, I see some YouTube videos of guys complaining of malfunctions but there isn't as much commentary on the L as the regular P30 in general.

Yes, the P30L will be easier to shoot at distance, on account of sight radius, and a full size P30 or L will draw and reload better with their full size grip. I would get DA/SA and set up per member BCL, if you care about performance and are willing to learn a DA.

LtDave
09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
I have both guns in V1 LEM. Both have been utterly reliable. I have never had a malfuntion with either or several other P30’s for that matter. The P30L just feels better to me, the recoil is smoother than a P30 or P30sk. My L is easier to shoot than the SK, no question. I have Heine sights on both. I also prefer a G34 over a G17, so maybe I just like the longer barrel/sight radius. Accuracy wise, the L and SK are pretty close, but I think my SK shoots more loads under 2” at 20 yards off the bench than this particular L. I normally carry the L and have a threaded barrel in it now. The gun had been shooting 1.5 to 3” high with the original barrel, but hits POA/POI now so I’m a happy camper.

RND
09-12-2017, 08:00 PM
P30L V1 .40 s&w with exactly 400 rounds (mostly Underwood). Zero stoppages. Smoothest running .40 I have (Bill and Dot torture drills)

TheNewbie
09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes, the P30L will be easier to shoot at distance, on account of sight radius, and a full size P30 or L will draw and reload better with their full size grip. I would get DA/SA and set up per member BCL, if you care about performance and are willing to learn a DA.

How does BCL set it up?

Tomahawk
09-12-2017, 08:24 PM
How does BCL set it up?

Good feedback and thank you for the quick replies. I'm less interested in performance and more interested in keeping the Set up the same as my sk since that's my edc.

BCL
09-12-2017, 08:39 PM
How does BCL set it up?

For the V3, install the nickel plated sear spring, the light firing pin block spring (209296 IIRC), and a Wolff 12lb hammer spring. It drops the DA pull from about 10-11lbs to about 8.5 and significantly smooths out the DA pull. I like the DA pull better with this setup than the DA pull on the match trigger for USPs. SA is right around 4.5lbs.

Haven't messed with the LEM P30s, but I imagine that adding the nickel plated sear spring and light firing pin block spring would be as close to the match hybrid LEM that you can go without custom work.

All depends on what type of LEM you like, some people like a stronger reset, some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
09-12-2017, 08:48 PM
For the V3, install the nickel plated sear spring, the light firing pin block spring (209296 IIRC), and a Wolff 12lb hammer spring. It drops the DA pull from about 10-11lbs to about 8.5 and significantly smooths out the DA pull. I like the DA pull better with this setup than the DA pull on the match trigger for USPs. SA is right around 4.5lbs.

Haven't messed with the LEM P30s, but I imagine that adding the nickel plated sear spring and light firing pin block spring would be as close to the match hybrid LEM that you can go without custom work.

All depends on what type of LEM you like, some people like a stronger reset, some don't.

Thank you for the reply!

EVP
09-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Good feedback and thank you for the quick replies. I'm less interested in performance and more interested in keeping the Set up the same as my sk since that's my edc.

If your less interested in performance then just run the sk.

I prefer the L over the standard p30. Some people prefer the p30 to the p30L. The p30L is pretty much a standard full size 9mm even though it is "longslide version".

All my p30s regardless of barrel length have been stellar in the reliability and accuracy department. They inspire confidence in those areas.

The only issues I have heard with p30s is that they will sometimes have some malfunctions with low powered ammo when new. Usually the first couple hundred rounds.

Excellent guns and can't go wrong by getting one.

Tomahawk
09-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am new to this forum and just found the Todd Green 2k round test journal. It looks like the P30 does very well in most of the tests.

Tamara
09-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am new to this forum and just found the Todd Green 2k round test journal. It looks like the P30 does very well in most of the tests.

On at least two occasions Todd told me straight up he thought the P30 was probably the no-kidding best choice in a mass production pistol on the market and I should quit dithering between the M&P and Glock and buy the P30. Both were after he'd stopped his P30 test and was on to something else. Pretty sure Mjolnir was there for one of those.

TheNewbie
09-12-2017, 10:20 PM
If money permitted I would consider trying a V1 P30L and P30Sk as a carry combo. Since it does not I have to live through you guys.

So a P30L is comparable in size to a G17 or P226?

MSparks909
09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I've got one P30L currently but am about to order a second...CDNN has long slide V3s for $799. HK's mag promotion runs until the end of the month so you get 4 free mags + the 2 with the gun. Heck of a deal on what's usually a $950-$1,000+ gun.

OnionsAndDragons
09-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Thanks for those numbers, BCL. I've been contemplating a V3 but haven't been sure if I wanna price in sending to Lazy Wolf. I can live with those pulls, especially considering dry practice for extra wear in.

As to your guesstimate on the effects on the LEM, I'd say they are accurate. If I recall, my current P30 has the nickel flat spring, reduced hammer, light FPB, heavy TRS. I'm not absolutely sure I have the light FPB, the rest is def right.

It is beautiful, feels like a PPQ trigger with longer reset. 100% reliable in 3 classes and easily 8k.

I've really been thinking about an L recently... Gotta sell a SIG or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GJM
09-12-2017, 10:27 PM
I've got one P30L currently but am about to order a second...CDNN has long slide V3s for $799. HK's mag promotion runs until the end of the month so you get 4 free mags + the 2 with the gun. Heck of a deal on what's usually a $950-$1,000+ gun.

And, there is a place selling a bunch of the same gun in .40 on Gunbroker for $575.

MSparks909
09-12-2017, 10:42 PM
And, there is a place selling a bunch of the same gun in .40 on Gunbroker for $575.

If I shot fo-tay I'd probably already own one. They are an absolute steal at that price point.

Bucky
09-13-2017, 04:23 AM
I really like my P30L. I ran USPSA and IDPA with it for about a year. Spectacular accuracy. Admittedly, I did have some jams with it in the first couple 100 rounds. The recoil spring is stiff, so if you're not using stout ammo, it may need a little break in. No issues whatsoever thereafter.

Robert Mitchum
09-13-2017, 05:42 AM
I got the P30L to be like a 9mm version of my HK 45's.
The P30L feels better in my hands and is just as accurate as the 45.
Both are reliable and near bomb proof .. stole that line from Larry Vickers.
Also have a p30 but.... like the longer sight radius of the L.
The DA/SA took some time to get use to.... but now I prefer it for carry ... 25 yard shoots in DA are not that hard if you put in the time.
I have large hands so the L fits me better than the P30.

hufnagel
09-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Todd is the reason my very first firearm was a P30. I'd done a lot of "research" (I'll call it that, but when you're so new you're like James May looking down the barrel of a shotgun, well you know) and his test put me over the top for the decision. I've never regretted it; heck I bought 2 more (another P30 and a P30L.)

hufnagel
09-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Ok, I'm gonna ask here: can a P30 .40 take a 9mm barrel? It was my understanding that dimensionally the 9mm and .40 are the same, and even the mags are the same just marked differently.

Mike C
09-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Ok, I'm gonna ask here: can a P30 .40 take a 9mm barrel? It was my understanding that dimensionally the 9mm and .40 are the same, and even the mags are the same just marked differently.

There were EFK conversion barrels but I wouldn't trust one for carry also I just did a search on their website and couldn't find one that wasn't ported. There are quite a few items marked as final sale so that makes me wonder if they are discontinuing some of their SKU's.

hufnagel
09-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Should have been more clear I guess. an HK P30 9mm barrel in a P30 .40 slide.

MGW
09-13-2017, 07:15 AM
There's a 9mm P30V3 for sale locally. It's been there awhile, like new, is under 6 bills, and won't leave my thoughts. You all aren't helping. Not having a gadget for my Gen 5 yet almost seems like reason enough to buy it. It checks a lot of boxes. Light, accurate, reliable, hammer, after market support.

newyork
09-13-2017, 08:10 AM
V3 vs V1 is a tough decision. Seems V1 is the simplest and most like what striker users are used to only because of the one pull weight versus da and sa. Probably can't go wrong either way.

ffhounddog
09-13-2017, 08:13 AM
I am trading my V1 for a V3 when I get back to the States. I just like the V3 P2000s I have (3) so I am trying to standardize on trigger.

If anyone is looking at moving a P30skV3 or P2000V3 for a P2000 LEM let me know in December I will trade.

hufnagel
09-13-2017, 08:31 AM
There's a 9mm P30V3 for sale locally. It's been there awhile, like new, is under 6 bills, and won't leave my thoughts. You all aren't helping. Not having a gadget for my Gen 5 yet almost seems like reason enough to buy it. It checks a lot of boxes. Light, accurate, reliable, hammer, after market support.

if you don't want and the guy is wiling to ship, I'd appreciate a point-by. :D

Tom Duffy
09-13-2017, 08:39 AM
My P30L, light LEM, has gone 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I think that's pretty much the norm for the P30.

JonInWA
09-13-2017, 08:53 AM
I have both a P30L V1 light LEM and a VP40, both in .40. They're both excellent guns, but the P30L is a better threat management/duty gun. The longer slide is really more comparable to most manufacturer's full-size profiles, so the P30L is quite easy to carry, both with an IWB and OWB holsters. I easily classified with my P30L shortly after I got it-it has an amazingly natural index (once grips/backstraps are individually sorted out) and superb accuracy. Absolutely zero hiccups in mine, using aluminum and brass-cased Federal Champion primarily (HST and Golden Saber for carry).

Best, Jon

MrCollector
09-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Frequent lurker here......

I know the P30 has an edge in durability and accuracy over most other designs, but those aren't the only qualities that make a good pistol. I owned a V3 P30 (9mm) and put about eight thousand rounds through the thing shooting at cans and boxes. I traded it for a VP40, which I then proceeded to trade in for an AR. I didn't like the LEM trigger, and I found both pistols to have an unacceptable level of "trigger bite." In addition, the sights on the P30 were atrocious, as I think Toddg mentioned more than once.

Since I'm an (obvious) amateur, can someone tell me what makes the P30 a cut above the rest?

Edit: that's V2, not V3.

Tamara
09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
I owned a V3 P30 (9mm) and put about eight thousand rounds through the thing ... I didn't like the LEM trigger...
In addition, the sights on the P30 were atrocious, as I think Toddg mentioned more than once.

You can put aftermarket sights on the gun.

Did you have a V3 or LEM?

MrCollector
09-13-2017, 12:34 PM
You can put aftermarket sights on the gun.

Did you have a V3 or LEM?

I had the "stiff" LEM version, so I was wrong; it was the V2, not the V3. Amateur indeed.

EVP
09-13-2017, 01:02 PM

I know the P30 has an edge in durability and accuracy over most other designs....

Since I'm an (obvious) amateur, can someone tell me what makes the P30 a cut above the rest?

Like you have realized the HK p series and their 45s are well built quality guns. They are accurate, reliable, and durable. They cost more. They only really need quality sights and there are a few manufactures that make them.

But with that said nobody can tell you if they will be a good fit for you,as you have realized. Some can't run the trigger like their striker fired guns and move on. Some don't like the price point. It's all personal preference of course.

David S.
09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Lots of fish in the sea.

JonInWA
09-13-2017, 01:52 PM
I prefer the V1 light LEM, and there are actually a couple of other versions of LEM available either as OEM or by judicious component/spring selections. Regarding sights, I personally just order my HKs with the LEO package, which coes with Meprolight tritium nightsights, which I find to be quite good and regulated for center-hold POA/POI out of the box.

HK's intrinsic component, finish, accuracy and manufacturing quality are regarded as among, if not the best. That has been the case in my personal sample size of two (HK P30L and VP40).

Best, Jon

LtDave
09-13-2017, 02:20 PM

I just won an auction for a "like new" P30L .40 LEM w/night sights and 2 mags for $550.

Tamara
09-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I cannot believe how fast the market for .40 has crashed.

JonInWA
09-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Yep, but it enabled me to take advantage of HK's .40 "housecleaning" earlier this year-P30L V1 with Mepros for well under $700.

Granted, 9mm will pretty much do anything that a .40 does with less drama, wear and expense, but the .40 is still an eminently viable caliber-especially in an HK.

And we've had some pretty good discussions on the site here about how .40 can be an excellent woods/wilderness choice (with judicious cartridge selections).

Best, Jon

LtDave
09-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Anyone got a lead on who has some cheap .40 P30 mags?

JonInWA
09-13-2017, 02:50 PM

"Cheap" and "HK magazines" together is a bit of an oxymoron....$35 or $39 is about the lowest I've seen 'em for, and that's at my local discounting high-volume gunshop. I don't consider that to be too painful.

Best, Jon

LtDave
09-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Found some new mags on Gunbroker for about $37 each. I've been able to snag used 9mm HK P30 mags in the $20 to $25 range on several forums.

BTW, there is a .40 HK P30LS V3 on Gunbroker now with a buy it now of $499 and change. I would have snagged that one, but wanted another LEM.

Balisong
09-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Best deal is buying 6 of them for $600 and getting an HK pistol thrown in for free :D

hufnagel
09-13-2017, 04:07 PM
considering HK mags are damn near as bulletproof as their guns themselves, you won't need to replace them all that often, barring accidental damage. Todd (again) demonstrated that.
Of the nearly 24,000 rounds I've put down range through my various P30's, i'd say 99% have been through 2 specific mags, and 75% of that through one. I could get my NERD on, go measure the length of the mag and come up with a rough guesstimate as to how many miles that spring has traveled through compression and release, but I think the point is made. :D

Guinnessman
09-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Here is Todd's answer in a thread I posted regarding the mags used in the P30 test: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10449-P30-Magazine-question-for-Todd

I love the old threads like the one above. Damn I miss Todd chiming in.:(

Bucky
09-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Yeah, it's quite amazing, and unfortunate. It's like the 9mm has become the "safe space" of the gun world. ;)

58thunderbird
09-14-2017, 03:21 AM
Yeah, it's quite amazing, and unfortunate. It's like the 9mm has become the "safe space" of the gun world. ;)

One of my local FFL only has .40 by special order payed upfront. And they do not take .40 in as trades.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
09-14-2017, 05:20 AM

It should be quite easy to believe, the average gun buyer is swayed heavily by marketing and 'what the pro's use'. Lately, the 'pro's' have been smitten with 9mm and everything else is obsolete... FBI goes back to 9mm from .40... competition shooters use pretty much exclusively 9mm.

Sadly, it is indeed much worse than I could have imagined.... CZ doesn't have any .40 in catalog anymore aside from P series.... no 75 series. New guns are being released in 9mm only, with no intention of making a .40 unless it's aimed at police market.

Bucky
09-14-2017, 06:14 AM
competition shooters use pretty much exclusively 9mm.

Competition shooters use the caliber best suited for the particular division. .40 is still the caliber for USPSA limited and limited 10 divisions. It's also picking up interest in single stack. I don't see any changes over the past 10+ years with regards to the .40. The only big change has been from .38 super to 9mm in open, but that's arguably more a cost thing than a performance thing.

ETA: I certainly agree with the rest of your post.

Tamara
09-14-2017, 06:19 AM
Sadly...

I don't think it's sad. :)

Guinnessman
09-14-2017, 07:38 AM

Now is a good time to stroll over to HKpro and buy a nice used .40.;)

Thy.Will.Be.Done
09-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Could you elaborate?

YVK
09-14-2017, 09:27 AM

I know the P30 has an edge in durability and accuracy over most other designs, but those aren't the only qualities that make a good pistol. I owned a V3 P30 (9mm) and put about eight thousand rounds through the thing shooting at cans and boxes. I traded it for a VP40, which I then proceeded to trade in for an AR. I didn't like the LEM trigger, and I found both pistols to have an unacceptable level of "trigger bite." In addition, the sights on the P30 were atrocious, as I think Toddg mentioned more than once.

During the times when Glocks needed aftermarket parts to eject away from people's faces (and lost customers because of it) and needed extra stippling for Gen3, MPs couldn't group worth a damn and were made without much QC (and lost customers because of it), and there weren't as many other great polymer options, P30s ran like HKs do, shot 2 inch groups with regular ammo, and allowed (and still do) for unparalleled ergonomic adjustments, while offering arguably the best quality magazines on the market.
From my prospective of owning many popular polymer guns of that era, not a single one came with the sights that I wouldn't replace.
I presume that trigger bite is an irritation from that groove, which is a fixable problem.
I couldn't stand the V2 either although I did use it for training purposes occasionally.

To the OP, from my six years of carrying these and shooting them in classes and competition:
- Definitely, large frame gun will be better for games.
- I am one of few people who prefers P30 over P30L. Last time this was polled on the HKPRO, it came to 25% vs 75% breakdown.
- Personally, I think LEM is a better carry trigger and that's what I shot, but if I were to game P30 again, I'd do DA/SA.
- If I were to game an HK again, it would be a VP9.
- Finally, if competition is going to become important to you, I'd compete with a purpose built game gun (which none of HKs are) and carry a purpose built carry gun.

-

MrCollector
09-14-2017, 10:20 AM
During the times when Glocks needed aftermarket parts to eject away from people's faces (and lost customers because of it) and needed extra stippling for Gen3, MPs couldn't group worth a damn and were made without much QC (and lost customers because of it), and there weren't as many other great polymer options, P30s ran like HKs do, shot 2 inch groups with regular ammo, and allowed (and still do) for unparalleled ergonomic adjustments, while offering arguably the best quality magazines on the market.
From my prospective of owning many popular polymer guns of that era, not a single one came with the sights that I wouldn't replace.
I presume that trigger bite is an irritation from that groove, which is a fixable problem.
I couldn't stand the V2 either although I did use it for training purposes occasionally.

-

What version do you prefer? One of these days, I might want to try the P30 again, just not the V2.

The "trigger bite" I mentioned is the phenomenon of feeling as if the part of your finger that depresses the trigger has been battered. It's something I would experience after firing more than fifty rounds. To be fair, it was a mild side effect of shooting my 9mm P30; it was much more of a problem with the VP40.

My P30 was a little finicky about ammo. Cases from weaker stuff, like Ranger-T 147 grain, would occasionally end up on my sleeve. Other than that, she was a rock solid performer.

JonInWA
09-14-2017, 11:21 AM
What version do you prefer? One of these days, I might want to try the P30 again, just not the V2.

The "trigger bite" I mentioned is the phenomenon of feeling as if the part of your finger that depresses the trigger has been battered. It's something I would experience after firing more than fifty rounds. To be fair, it was a mild side effect of shooting my 9mm P30; it was much more of a problem with the VP40.

My P30 was a little finicky about ammo. Cases from weaker stuff, like Ranger-T 147 grain, would occasionally end up on my sleeve. Other than that, she was a rock solid performer.

Interesting-in comparatively firing my Glock Gen4 G22 with my VP40, I found that there was a perceptible bit of trigger sting with the G22 (although it was minor, and hardly a show-stopper), but none whatsoever with the VP40.

You might try further experimentation with you VP's side panels and backstraps; using them to tailor your finger positioning might make a difference.

Best, Jon

MrCollector
09-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Interesting-in comparatively firing my Glock Gen4 G22 with my VP40, I found that there was a perceptible bit of trigger sting with the G22 (although it was minor, and hardly a show-stopper), but none whatsoever with the VP40.

You might try further experimentation with you VP's side panels and backstraps; using them to tailor your finger positioning might make a difference.

Best, Jon

Thanks, Jon. If I ever get another HK, I'll implement your advice. I never changed backstraps or panels on either one of mine.

OnionsAndDragons
09-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Jon. If I ever get another HK, I'll implement your advice. I never changed backstraps or panels on either one of mine.

This is a common reason that little issues with P/VP guns don't get resolved. It's a pain in the ass to get your perfect configuration of grip panels.

Most just don't spend that time. I think it is totally worthwhile to do it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JonInWA
09-14-2017, 01:13 PM
At the risk of some thread drift here....I found the ability to tailor via grip panels and backstraps to be extremely beneficial. I also found that some assumptions I had made were, well, totally wrong. For example, on my Gen4 G22, I assumed that using the Medium Beavertail backstrap would be beneficial, after all, size-wise it just took it up to Gen 3 configuration (which is what most of my Glocks are), and the beavertail tang would be better for both dissipation of the .40 recoil spike and steering control of the gun. Actual empirical testing/use demonstrated conclusively that I was far better off just using the G22 without ANY of the additional backstraps.

With my VP40, I found my best work was done with the Small backstrap, and Small right panel, Small or Medium left panel (I eventually settled on the Medium, after ascertaining it wouldn't hinder access to the slide release lever-ToddG's testing of his epic P30 90K test revealed many similar nuggets of info).

On the P30L, I very quickly settled on the same backstrap/side panel configuration. Interestingly, with the P30L I found there to be a much more significant difference between the Small and Medium backstraps; I was really fighting the gun and had to work much harder with the Medium, where with the Small index and accuracy immediately fell into place. While I did better with the Small backstrap on the VP, I could have lived with the Medium-not so much on the P30L. The difference probably has to do with the slight, but significant re-sculpting of the backstrap tang area on the VP, where it's deeper than on the P30. Presumably this ergo improvement is a result of the additional space made available by going to a striker action as opposed to a hammer mechanism.

With the Small backstrap on the P30L, everything becomes copacetic, and I index and shoot equally well with either the VP40 and the P30L.

Best, Jon

YVK
09-14-2017, 09:00 PM

In my experimentation with various handguns, I came to a conclusion that blew my mind: I shoot any trigger variant better when it is set light than when it is set heavy. Striker, 1911, DA/SA, LEM, all the same to me, the lighter it is, the more accurate and fast I am. So I turned in my man card that came with either a stock Gen3 Glock, or V2 LEM, or Beretta 92 with standard springs, don't remember which one exactly that card came with, and started to set my triggers as light as possible within the reason of an intended use. To me the most redeeming quality of a LEM trigger was that no matter how light it was, I felt very safe carrying it behind the length of a pull and a hammer. So mine was effectively a V1 with 10 lbs hammer spring, plus Rick Holm's massage. Pretty much sub-4 lbs pull. I didn't care if there was a step up between the take-up and break, it will always be there with LEM. I didn't care if reset wasn't that positive, I think it makes no difference with LEM. That setup helped me to press a trigger straight back without disturbing sights the best, so that's what I used.
Never had a trigger sting with any of my 4 HKs though.

Ed L
09-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I have a P30L and like it a lot--but I have had some mods done to it.

I bought one just before the HK VP9 came out (I had no knowledge that the VP9 was coming out).

I already had an HK45 that I really liked and wanted to add a higher capacity, lower recoil, less expensive to shoot.

I got the P30L and found that my trigger finger was taking some abuse during recoil from the groove on the inside bottom of the trigger guard that the tip of the trigger travels in. During recoil it tends to bang into the trigger finger. I actually found this to be more painful to shoot than the HK45. So like the HK45 I sent it to Gray Guns to have the groove removed.

When I got it back I had just finished an article for SWAT on the HK VP9 and had done a lot of shooting with the VP9. The VP9 had a much shorter reset than the P30. I spoke to Dagga Boy and he explained the to meet German Police contracts all P30s had to have a minimum required trigger reset that was fairly long.

I am not one of those people who It was long enough that it made it a hard transition from the VP9 and most of my other automatics like Glocks to the P30L.

So back to Grey Guns it went to have their reset shortening. I would not trust this to a gunsmith who did not have a strong record. As it happens, the person who performed that gunsmithing, Rick Holm, has gone off on his own to start Crazy Wolf Guns.

My reason for wanting a similar reset is I wanted to use this as a bedside gun since I prefer a manual safety on a beside gun. It is a preference, not a must have.

The end result, as confirmed by both Darryl and Wayne who have shot the gun, is that it now has a similar reset to that of a VP9 which makes transitioning between it and a VP9 or a Glock no issue when it comes to trigger reset.

MrCollector
09-15-2017, 09:00 AM
In my experimentation with various handguns, I came to a conclusion that blew my mind: I shoot any trigger variant better when it is set light than when it is set heavy. Striker, 1911, DA/SA, LEM, all the same to me, the lighter it is, the more accurate and fast I am. So I turned in my man card that came with either a stock Gen3 Glock, or V2 LEM, or Beretta 92 with standard springs, don't remember which one exactly that card came with, and started to set my triggers as light as possible within the reason of an intended use. To me the most redeeming quality of a LEM trigger was that no matter how light it was, I felt very safe carrying it behind the length of a pull and a hammer. So mine was effectively a V1 with 10 lbs hammer spring, plus Rick Holm's massage. Pretty much sub-4 lbs pull. I didn't care if there was a step up between the take-up and break, it will always be there with LEM. I didn't care if reset wasn't that positive, I think it makes no difference with LEM. That setup helped me to press a trigger straight back without disturbing sights the best, so that's what I used.
Never had a trigger sting with any of my 4 HKs though.

Do you still carry an HK?

YVK
09-15-2017, 09:33 AM
No, not anymore. I still have my Holm P2000sk and P30 and could carry them any time I wanted to, but they are in a safe or listed in the classifieds. I switched to a Beretta PX4CC with Langdon trigger work shortly after it became available.

Sensei
09-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Much like YVK, the 11-12lb DA pull found in most HK's was the single biggest impediment to accurate shooting for me. This is especially true for my HK45c which stacks the weight so that there is a 12lb wall at the very end of the trigger pull. I have less of a problem with my P2000 and P30 which have a more uniform 10lb DA pull.

For me, the light LEM was better, but not ideal due to the long pretravel and reset. So, I settled on carrying most of my HKs cocked and locked (condition 1) if they have a thumb safety. I'm not an AIWB guy and I've carried 1911s for years, so this was not that big of an adjustment. The P30S and P30LS have a thumb safety and can be had for about $100 more than the standard DA/SA decocker variants. I'd give either of those a close look if I was in the market for another P30.

GJM
09-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Today, I shoot a DA/SA P30L, as set up by member BCL, far better than LEM. While the DA trigger is heavier than LEM on shot one, it is linear which makes it easier to be aggressive with. After shot one, the SA is significantly easier for me to work faster than LEM. I also like that the DA trigger is heavier, for admin purposes.

MSparks909
09-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Today, I shoot a DA/SA P30L, as set up by member BCL, far better than LEM. While the DA trigger is heavier than LEM on shot one, it is linear which makes it easier to be aggressive with. After shot one, the SA is significantly easier for me to work faster than LEM. I also like that the DA trigger is heavier, for admin purposes.

New lower-48 carry gun?

GJM
09-15-2017, 11:16 AM
New lower-48 carry gun?

Yep, along with the PX4C mod 4.

psalms144.1
09-15-2017, 11:39 AM
YepUntil next week or whenever the new hotness comes out! ;)

GJM
09-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Until next week or whenever the new hotness comes out! ;)

I resemble that comment.

LOKNLOD
09-15-2017, 12:11 PM
I hate you people, I'm looking at P30s.

CDFIII
09-15-2017, 12:14 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with GJM's statements. I have noticed a vast improvement over my LEM guns.

STI
09-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Hows the reset length on a BCL-ized TDA P30, compared to Glock (.15")?

What are the options for responsibly (retaining full safety operation) of shortening reset?

MSparks909
09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Yep, along with the PX4C mod 4.

I know you prefer a little longer sight radius; might be worth sending a full size PX4 to Robar to let them/Langdon work over. Roughly same grip length/concealment as the P30/L but you gain some sight radius, barrel length and of course two more rounds.

Waiting on my JMCK George to arrive before I really start shooting my P30Ls a lot.

EVP
09-15-2017, 02:05 PM
What are the options for responsibly (retaining full safety operation) of shortening reset?

Look no further then Rick at Lazy Wolf guns

GJM
09-15-2017, 02:41 PM
I know you prefer a little longer sight radius; might be worth sending a full size PX4 to Robar to let them/Langdon work over. Roughly same grip length/concealment as the P30/L but you gain some sight radius, barrel length and of course two more rounds.

Waiting on my JMCK George to arrive before I really start shooting my P30Ls a lot.

I had one. Nice pistol, but a lot of what interests me about the P30L, is it is feels like a hammer fired version of my Q5 pistols. Plus I am an HK fan boy at heart.

Doc_Glock
09-15-2017, 04:52 PM
I hate you people, I'm looking at P30s.

Yup. Screw y'all and your awesome, German, hammer TDA guns.

I hope it is worth what CDNN got out of me.

Tamara
09-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Yup. Screw y'all and your awesome, German, hammer TDA guns.

I hope it is worth what CDNN got out of me.

I am liking this thing a lot more than I thought I would. Like, a dangerously lot more. Like buying a second gun and an SK and holsters more.

Doc_Glock
09-15-2017, 05:12 PM
I am liking this thing a lot more than I thought I would. Like, a dangerously lot more. Like buying a second gun and an SK and holsters more.

What sucks is I had already written it off based on a P30sk LEM I had, fondled for a month and sold unfired.

Then I got some cheap Berettas, learned how to shoot a TDA decently, and got over my TDA aversion.

Then I held a rental P30 V3 and dang if it isn't near perfectly sized.

Stupid German Wonder Weapons.

Jaywalker
09-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Funny. I just got the P30SK and wish I had a standard P30. Probably should wait until i shoot the one I have, but, damn, the quality is right there, no question.

LOKNLOD
09-15-2017, 05:27 PM

How ya'll think I feel? I was a thousands of rounds into really getting good with the P30 LEM (my FAST pin was with the P30!) and then was like "nope, Imma gonna go play with my Glocks again, herpy derp". :p:p

GJM
09-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Hows the reset length on a BCL-ized TDA P30, compared to Glock (.15")?

Stock, the reset is longer, but as a flip and press shooter, I don't notice small increments in reset. I think expensive trigger work on a DA/SA HK is money not well spent. What BCL does is indistinguishable from big bucks work, in my hands.

The first (open carry) Bill I shot with my P30L DA/SA was 1.83, and yesterday I was able to draw and hit two eight inch steel at ten yards in 1.12. I shoot a Q5 faster, but only better in a way that is meaningful for gaming. The key to shooting a P30 DA/SA is making piece with the DA, and a lighter hammer spring helps with that.

CDFIII
09-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Enel On the bright side you got an awesome pistol and you are eligible for the HK 4 free mags promotion.
https://hk-usa.com/freemagazines/

FPS
09-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Since I dont believe there is a lighter hammer spring available for the SK, would those two other mods make much of a difference without it?

GJM
09-15-2017, 10:29 PM
I have a P30SK. As much as I like the P30L and HK generally, I think the PX4C is hard to beat once you get to P30SK size.

BCL
09-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Since I dont believe there is a lighter hammer spring available for the SK, would those two other mods make much of a difference without it?

Smoothness of the DA pull only, the weight will still be high - about 10-10.5 lbs DA.

Tamara
09-16-2017, 08:29 AM
I have a P30SK. As much as I like the P30L and HK generally, I think the PX4C is hard to beat once you get to P30SK size.

I think if I went all TDA 4 LYF and carried the P30L, I'd get the SK over the Storm for a smaller NPE-type gun simply to keep the mag releases the same.

GJM
09-16-2017, 10:50 AM
I think if I went all TDA 4 LYF and carried the P30L, I'd get the SK over the Storm for a smaller NPE-type gun simply to keep the mag releases the same.

That certainly makes sense. With a medium blackstrap, I work the P30 mag release conventionally with my thumb, for consistency, and to keep my trigger finger indexed up during reload.

The appeal of the Beretta is how well it carries with the shape of its slide, how flat it shoots, and how great the trigger is. In performance, the P30SK feels more Corolla, and the Beretta like a Porsche.

JohnK
09-16-2017, 12:52 PM
I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. But those pistolas are in the safe for the foreseeable future. I have all 3 P30 V1 models... sk, standard, and L. I am a huskyer fella and can hide the P30L under nearly anything I wear (save for a suit). That's probably the only time I truly need the sk, but I work in a place that I wouldn't be able to get it through security anyway. With that said, I am not getting rid of it just because I haven't found its role yet.

On the continuum, I find the L to shoot easier and a hair more accurate for me, followed by the standard, and then the sk makes me do a lot of work to hit even close to a level of proficiency as the other two. And I carry, practice and will game from now on with the LEM because it's easier for my brain... And of course, for all of the other benefits of the LEM as outlined numerous times on this forum in the past.

JonInWA
09-16-2017, 03:51 PM
I think it's pretty much a given that SA,DA/SA and SFA guns will be a bit more "shootable" (i.e., faster/shorter splits) than LEM (and similar); the advantage of LEM is that due to the combination triggerpull length, the visible hammer, and the relatively light pull/break weight of about 5.4 lbs (with V1 LEM) it's arguably a better threat management action, but still more "shootable" than a traditional DAO, and arguably a bit more safe than SA. Essentially, it's a SA pull weight with a longer triggerpull, and automatic decocking when the finger is off the trigger.

And, with practice, it can be pretty fast, too. The HK V1 in my P30L has a pretty short reset (but not quite as short as those on my Glocks).

I've found LEM to be eminently usable for IDPA and as a duty (and concealed carry) pistol.

Best, Jon

MrCollector
09-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions.

Tomahawk
09-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Hi guys, I am the original poster for this thread. Thanks for all the commentary. Bottom like is I shot a steel match today with the sk, and I almost couldn't miss. It's like a laser in my hands. I shot a few stages with my p226 and if I'm honest my times with the sk, were a bit faster. Which leads me to, I'm sold and will either order the standard or L.

MY HOPE is that the grip geometry of the bigger guns is the same as the Sk in terms of how it points. I cant handle one locally so any thoughts would be great.

RJ
09-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Hi guys, I am the original poster for this thread. Thanks for all the commentary. Bottom like is I shot a steel match today with the sk, and I almost couldn't miss. It's like a laser in my hands. I shot a few stages with my p226 and if I'm honest my times with the sk, were a bit faster. Which leads me to, I'm sold and will either order the standard or L.

MY HOPE is that the grip geometry of the bigger guns is the same as the Sk in terms of how it points. I cant handle one locally so any thoughts would be great.

Not a P30 owner, but if it helps, my VP9 and P30SK with painted (orange front black rear) OEM glow sights point virtually identically in terms of sight picture and point of impact.

DRJ
09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
I have a SK and a 30S and they seem to point the same to me. I love both.

Jason M
09-17-2017, 05:50 PM
The P30 and the P30sk point the same for me even with med grips on the P30 and lrg grips on the sk.

Tomahawk
09-17-2017, 07:45 PM
The P30 and the P30sk point the same for me even with med grips on the P30 and lrg grips on the sk.

Thanks! I also use the large grips on the sk. It sounds like a p30 will work.

CDFIII
09-21-2017, 12:49 PM
So I have picked up a second P30l and am looking at sights. I have narrowed it down to a must have a .125 front blade. Anyone have any time on the HD XR sights? Rears still sharp? I normally run 10-8 or Heinie but 10-8 fronts are OOS. Heinie sights are nice but are really tall and almost feel like suppressor height to me.

MSparks909
09-21-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm also torn between the HD XRs or a 10-8 .156 rear and a .125 Dawson Tritium Front for my P30L's. I like the .125 Dawson front/stock Meprolight rear combo on my "carry" P30. I take a black sharpie to the rear Mepro's but in dark conditions I can still make out the rear dots although they are fainter.

I have the HD XRs on my 226/228/229. Need to spend more time with them to see if I'll run them on my P30s as well. I like the HD XR front but really wish they would have tightened up the rear notch some...there's a LOT of air on either side of the front sight with the XRs.

Doc_Glock
09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Well, it is a really nice gun. The build quality is amazing.

This is my second ten shots with it. Sights like a 6:00 hold on the black with 147 grain AE ammo at 25 yds. I managed this group DA but somehow threw one entirely off the target.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/d426347eab7c2c32037f3679b4835556.jpg

Going back to the PX4 after shooting this, the DA felt about half the weight and half as long.

Jason M
09-21-2017, 06:45 PM
So I have picked up a second P30l and am looking at sights. I have narrowed it down to a must have a .125 front blade. Anyone have any time on the HD XR sights? Rears still sharp? I normally run 10-8 or Heinie but 10-8 fronts are OOS. Heinie sights are nice but are really tall and almost feel like suppressor height to me.

Yes. I took a P30 with HD XR orange sights to a Northern Red combative pistol class in Aug. The gun ran well. The sights were (for me) awful! The were (for me) regulated for what I will call a "lower 1/3" point of aim. Even when driving the dot. This led to be having to do more guessing that I wanted to do for a challenging course of instruction. Additionally the front sight post is outright reflective and when the sun is coming from behind, is just (for me) a bright orange blob. It obscures (for me) the edges of the sight making precision work on a B-8 very difficult. I brought a spare P30 with the standard luminous HK sights. They were easier to see but still has the odd (for me) difference in POA/POI. I love the pistol but it and its cousins are sidelined until I get around to locating and installing sights that work as well for me as the DeFoor Glock sights or the standard Beretta PX4 sights with the rear dots blacked out. Just my .02 and as always, all things sights are VERY subjective.

GJM
09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
[/MENTION]
Well, it is a really nice gun. The build quality is amazing.

This is my second ten shots with it. Sights like a 6:00 hold on the black with 147 grain AE ammo at 25 yds. I managed this group DA but somehow threw one entirely off the target.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/d426347eab7c2c32037f3679b4835556.jpg

Going back to the PX4 after shooting this, the DA felt about half the weight and half as long.

Try the BCL mods -- they really help DA weight and smoothness.

LOKNLOD
09-21-2017, 07:32 PM
[/MENTION]

Try the BCL mods -- they really help DA weight and smoothness.

Is there a description of these somewhere?

(I, uh, am, uh, asking for a friend, yeah, that's it...)

CDFIII
09-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Jason M Thanks for your input. I was afraid of that being the case unfortunately I had similar problems with HD's on my P2000. They shot low for me and the front sight was just huge in my mind. I swapped back to my factory night sights as well.

CDFIII
09-21-2017, 07:48 PM
Is there a description of these somewhere?

(I, uh, am, uh, asking for a friend, yeah, that's it...)

Nickel flat sear spring, light firing pin block spring and a Wolf 12 lb. (I think) hammer spring. If I am not mistaken.

MSparks909
09-21-2017, 08:11 PM
I thought it was a 12# Wolff spring but I could be mistaken.

CDFIII
09-21-2017, 08:15 PM
I think you're right. 10 lb. seems to light for positive ignition on hard primers. I will correct my post. Thanks

BCL
09-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Nickel-plated sear spring, light firing pin block spring (209296), 12lb Wolff hammer spring.

FWIW, I can't tell a big DA Pull difference between this set up and a fully Cajunized SP01, as far as smoothness goes; weight is about a pound and a half different. I'm not the most sensitive to trigger pull differences though, so YMMV.

Doc_Glock
11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Have been attempting to tune up the P30l a bit here are some numbers:

All stock trigger 9/4.5.Not bad!

Modded trigger: light FPBS, Nickel plated sear spring,
-stock spring: 8/3.5
-10#: 7.25/3.25
-11#: 7.75/3.25
-12#: 7.9/3.4

I am running the 12# for now as the slight reduction of the other main springs does not seem worth the possible misfires. Most of the benefit seemed to come from the firing pin block spring swap, and I would be very happy with the stock main spring.

It came from the factory with a light trigger return spring. I made the mistake of removing it and could not reinstall without the TRS tool from HK parts.net. That tool was worth every cent of $14. Makes TRS swapping a 10 second job.

All in all I see no issues with just running the thing completely stock, but I like to tinker...

Bill
11-22-2017, 08:10 PM
I've been running my P30L for the past year or so set up with the "enhanced" fpbs from HKparts, (even lighter than the factory light spring), oem light trs and a 10lb. hammer spring. Have not had a light primer strike yet. I typically shoot whatever range ammo is available in the federal, american eagle, blazer brass type category, but not wolf or other non-brass cased stuff. As noted above, the Fpbs spring change does make the most difference, it eliminates a lot of trigger stack from both the DA and SA pulls and really cleans up the SA break.

The gun is a very smooth shooter in operation and the trigger really rolls with this spring arrangement. If only HK or someone aftermarket would just make us an all metal trigger shoe for the P series, the trigger feel would be enhanced overnight with (in theory) no negative side effects. The OEM polymer trigger has flex in it that makes the pull feel mushier than it really is.

My only real complaint is the shape of the large backstrap. Granted, hand sizes and shapes vary IMMENSELY, but I found the large gave me the trigger reach I needed to operate the trigger efficiently, but placed a big old hump in all the wrong places in the palm of my hand. My solution was re-contouring the backstrap with the dremel and giving the gun a stipple-tickle (trademarked).

Lately, she sits in the safe mostly while the pasta-blasters get the attention, but every couple days I pull it out and dry fire it a few times and am reminded that the trigger is every bit as shootable and pleasant as my tuned Brig Tac.

MSparks909
11-22-2017, 09:42 PM
500 through my 30L so far. Think I’m gonna buy a case or two of NATO ammo to put through it next. It hasn’t had a malfunction with cheap 115gr. range ammo, but the ejection is weak and I can tell the gun wants/needs NATO ammo.

Have the HK Parts enhanced FPBS, 12# hammer spring and nickel plated sear spring on order. Am also ordering Trijicon HD XRs soon. I like my 30L over the standard size P30. Not as snappy, easier to track the sights. I think the “L” length is what the P30 should have been standard.