PDA

View Full Version : EDC fixed blade - Clinch Pick vs Bastinelli PiKa?

marshy
09-08-2017, 04:38 AM
Hi all

I'm a long time lurker, who's finally stepping out the shadows and into the light, and would very much appreciate some advice from those of you in the know :)

I'm looking to get a small fixed blade for edc / self defence, and I'm looking at the SouthNarc Clinch Pick and the Bastinelli PiKa (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BG...n690co-hawkbill-blade-pinky-ring-kydex-sheath).

Does anyone have experience with either one, or perhaps both even?

I always have a folder on me (Tenacious, Endura, PM2, RajahIII) but looking to add a fixed blade to my daily carry. I'll look to carry it weak side appendix.

Thanks in advance! :D

Marshy

Wondering Beard
09-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Your link goes to an item that is discontinued and has no photo.

Did you mean this (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BGPIKAST/bastinelli-creations-pika-fixed-satin-n690co-hawkbill-blade-pinky-ring-kydex-sheath)?

If you did then the Bastinelli knife is very different from the CP in its purpose. That Pika looks to be, essentially, a karambit and thus requires you to use it as either, if you have not acquired specific training and techniques with a karambit, as you would a claw, or, if you do have karambit specific training, as you were then trained. The CP on the other hand is a straightforward stabbing knife whose reverse edge enables you to do some ripping as well.

I don't have anything against karambits (I carry a Spyderco folding one daily as it serves my daily cutting needs very well -packages fear me!) but if you have little to no training in the defensive use of a knife, the CP is the better knife for you. Southnarc described its use once, I believe, as that of a monkey with a screwdriver, in other words: "thrust it in something important, rip out, lather-rinse-repeat".

I suggest, though, that you familiarize yourself with your local laws first. Something like a CP might be considered something like an illegal dirk, while a karambit might not, or vice versa.

Wondering Beard
09-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Just found this video with Bastinelli showing the Pika in a bit of use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoxym9bDhU

That first cut shows what I mean by using the karambit as a claw

orionz06
09-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Ringed knives are more often than not silly and a pain in the ass to deploy, and that's before looking into issues with actually using the thing. The Clinch Pick was designed for the location you intend to carry and doesn't have the deployment issues or grip issues. It's rather elegant in the simplicity and in practice with limited technique people are vastly more functional. With the current availability I think it becomes a G19 kinda thing, use a CP and train with it until you know enough and have the experience to intelligently choose otherwise.

Totem Polar
09-08-2017, 12:57 PM
^^^Tom pretty much said what I would say, only better. Short answer: CP all the way. For what it is, and what it's designed for, it's genius.

RevolverRob
09-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Clinch Pick.

SeriousStudent
09-09-2017, 12:05 AM
I have four karambits designed by Steve Tarani. I would very very very very strongly recommend that if you want to carry one you get trained by Steve or someone of his caliber.

It's different. Frankly, it's not an intuitive pokey-stabby thing, in my very humble opinion. With correct training, it's got definite retention benefits.

I love my Clinch Pick, and carry it a lot. The phrase I always think of when I practice with it is "Elegant Simplicity".

I love simple. Simple works under pressure, is difficult to break, and easier to understand with my primitive reptile brain.

Anybody who has met me knows I'm basically a simple reptile at heart anyway.

Oukaapie
09-09-2017, 09:05 AM
I love and carry a Karambit weak side. It's a very specific tool that lacks the ease of use of any straight blade. It requires training and drilling. Once you have training and drilling down it's excellent depending on your use case and how you roll. If you live near Plano I'll happily show you practical Karambit.

marshy
09-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Hi all!

Thanks so much for the feedback! Sorry, I forgot to say I live in sunny South Africa, otherwise would take you up on the offer Oukaapie :) Also, sorry for the funky link, not too sure why the hyper link was to a defunkt page, but thanks for the correction Wondering Beard :)

I currently alternate between a Spydie Tenacious, Endura, PM2, and a CS Rajah3 amd Emerson Horseman for EDC carriers, so thought the idea of a small fixed blade would complement the current carry.

Unfortunately, we are blessed to have the multitude of SD trainers like you do in the States, but the little blade training I have had, I did lean towards / find the CP the easiest, so thanks to everyone for the help and guidance! A CP it shall be! :)

Oukaapie
09-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Marshy, my handle oukaapie should be telling. Ek is n ou kaapie!

Find Mark Human in Cape Town or one of his instructors across SA.

http://multidimensionalwarrior.co.za/

I would put Mark up there with any blade trainer on the planet. He is extremely no nonsense and has a breadth of practical experience most other blade masters lack. His students see more shit than you could dream possible.

I've shown a couple of the PF group stuff I got from him and they all love it. PM me if you have questions.

1slow
09-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Trained with Mark Human when Tom Sotis brought him to the USA. Great guy and instructor. Class was on knife and pistol.

If I remember correctly he said " of the last 300 gunfights my unit was involved in 290+ were inside 5 feet." In cardboard shacks etc...

marshy
09-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Marshy, my handle oukaapie should be telling. Ek is n ou kaapie!

Find Mark Human in Cape Town or one of his instructors across SA.

http://multidimensionalwarrior.co.za/

I would put Mark up there with any blade trainer on the planet. He is extremely no nonsense and has a breadth of practical experience most other blade masters lack. His students see more shit than you could dream possible.

I've shown a couple of the PF group stuff I got from him and they all love it. PM me if you have questions.

Trained with Mark Human when Tom Sotis brought him to the USA. Great guy and instructor. Class was on knife and pistol.

If I remember correctly he said " of the last 300 gunfights my unit was involved in 290+ were inside 5 feet." In cardboard shacks etc...

Thanks so so much for the feedback gents!

Oukaapie, I was wondering where your forum handle came from! Where about in die kaap?

I'll definitely look to get in touch with Mark! I see he's got a practitioner up here in Johannesburg, so will get in touch with him as well.
Thanks once again for the guidance!

I'll definitely pop you a message with any further questions I have, Oukaapie! :)

Oukaapie
09-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Ja Boet.

I grew up in Sea Point. College in Grahamstown, a few years in London, little bit of time in the Middle East and lived in the US the last 16 years. Recently moved to TX. Yeehaa!

Isaac
09-12-2017, 04:08 PM
CP def gets my vote. Imagine someone is in the middle of kicking your ass, that tiny handle is gonna be hard to grab much less sticking your soon to be possibly broken finger in a hole. The width of the handle, especially when sweat will prob wiggle around too.

One of the first things I did when I moved to a non fixed blade state was wrote the congressman :)

CP can really disappear too if you wear the sheath behind a belt.

marshy
10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
So I took the plunge and ordered a CP from Shivworks on Amazon :D Very excited to get it in my grubby little paws! :P I'm thinking about splurging and doing it right from the start and getting a DSG sheath for it. Anyone running one of these sheaths?

Hmmmmmm now if Shivworks would launch the Disciple :eek: ;)

Irelander
10-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Anxiously awaiting this as well!

Wondering Beard
10-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Same here!

marshy
10-03-2017, 04:49 AM
I wonder if Mr Douglas could give us an approximate ETA....

Paging MR Douglas, Paging Mr Douglas.... :o

SouthNarc
10-03-2017, 07:34 AM
I wonder if Mr Douglas could give us an approximate ETA....

Paging MR Douglas, Paging Mr Douglas.... :o

I'm hoping for first quarter of '18 for Disciples.

DI1
10-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Any updates on the Watson push dagger? Waiting to spend my money...

OnionsAndDragons
10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
So I took the plunge and ordered a CP from Shivworks on Amazon :D Very excited to get it in my grubby little paws! :P I'm thinking about splurging and doing it right from the start and getting a DSG sheath for it. Anyone running one of these sheaths?

Tom makes the best CP sheathes out there. He can also give you the best version based on how you want yo carry it and orient the blade/handle.

Definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SouthNarc
10-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Any updates on the Watson push dagger? Waiting to spend my money...

So basically the first run was fucked because the Chinese sprayed the knives down with WD40 and every single one had a light coat of surface rust. We're gonna keep that run and sell them as cosmetically blemished with a pretty good cut on the retail price at some point in the future after we release a new run that is good to go.

The new run is in the pipeline now and should be available before Christmas.

marshy
10-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Thanks very much for the update :D

Tom makes the best CP sheathes out there. He can also give you the best version based on how you want yo carry it and orient the blade/handle.

Definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks O&D! I'll drop him a mail :)

archangel
10-11-2017, 01:41 PM