PDA

View Full Version : Nurses suspended for admiring man's...manhood

BehindBlueI's
09-06-2017, 11:06 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nurses-suspended-patients-genitals_us_59b02421e4b0dfaafcf4b4e2

Suspend them? I'd want them to write a piece for my obituary. Maybe have it chiseled on my head stone. "Even in death, women couldn't help but admire..."

Head stone. Heh.

Sensei
09-07-2017, 12:22 AM
Yep, violating a patient's dignity and confidentiality will get you a week at the beach every time. Most places fire healthcare providers for doing something so bone headed. Then again, it's Denver so maybe the second hand smoke is affecting people's judgement.

beenalongtime
09-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Full of pun's; Staff members.:rolleyes:

RoyGBiv
09-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Full of pun's; Staff members.:rolleyes:

Head nurse.

Coyotesfan97
09-07-2017, 05:14 AM
What a bone headed move

Hambo
09-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Yep, violating a patient's dignity and confidentiality will get you a week at the beach every time. Most places fire healthcare providers for doing something so bone headed. Then again, it's Denver so maybe the second hand smoke is affecting people's judgement.

The hospital where my wife works had an incident in which a couple nurses took photos of a dead trauma patient and a couple others just went in to look. All were immediately fired. Not only can you get fired, if your employer reports you to the state you can lose your license and start a new career as a clerk at 7-11.

Do stupid things, win big stupid prizes.

JHC
09-07-2017, 06:27 AM
I know of a male ortho tech rep that was covering a case and made some remarks about a Mr. Big to the OR staff and it turned out Mr. Big was not actually unconscious yet. The ortho company fired him straight away.

BehindBlueI's
09-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Telling a woman she looks nice is sexual harassment. Admiring a man's big crank is an assault to dignity.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png

mtnbkr
09-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Admiring a man's big crank is an assault to dignity.

Is there something you want to tell us?

Chris

lwt16
09-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Two decades ago, I was working midnight shift and had to go to the ER on an unrelated call.

Walk by this one room and there are nurses, doctors, security, and others standing around this one bed. Figuring that was my call/dude, I waltzed on in there.

Wrong room.

Guy is laying there unconscious and they are all looking at his genitals. No one is saying a word. Nothing. Dead silence.

It starts out where it should, runs across his upper right thigh, on to the sheets and is hanging off the right side of the gurney.....and it's not angry, so to speak.

Once I found my correct room/victim he kept asking me if I was okay and handing me tissues to dry up my tears. lol

Nobody got fired or anything like that though. This was well before camera phones and social media and such so I guess that's why.

Regards.

Hambo
09-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Telling a woman she looks nice is sexual harassment. Admiring a man's big crank is an assault to dignity.

I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

It' not dignity, it's privacy. Under the same rules that prevent staff from telling anyone that you're in the hospital unless you specifically OK them.

I'll refer to an expert on dignity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0tMTd5D3g

Mr. Goodtimes
09-07-2017, 11:57 AM
I wish my pecker was so big people would admire it in death. I'm with Blues, I would want them to write my obituary, or at least say a small piece at my funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
09-07-2017, 12:18 PM
I wish my pecker was so big people would admire it in death. I'm with Blues, I would want them to write my obituary, or at least say a small piece at my funeral.

That was "BehindBlueI's"...

..."blues" had the good sense to stay out of this one.

I know we look alike...(even though we've never looked over each other's shoulders at the urinal. ;))

GyroF-16
09-07-2017, 04:46 PM

I know we look alike...(even though we've never looked over each other's shoulders at the urinal. ;))

Must have been hard to stay out of this one, though.

blues
09-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Must have been hard to stay out of this one, though.

And no blue pills involved...;)

BehindBlueI's
09-07-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

It' not dignity, it's privacy.

https://current-students.blogs.latrobe.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2016/03/thatswhatshesaid.jpg

Now that that is out of the way.

People would hate the comments at an autopsy...

Dagga Boy
09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Three can keep a secret if two are dead. Biggest issue is talk and social media. You can only imagine what happens in hospitals and E/R's. Things in orifices that shouldn't be. All sorts of human depravity and unusual stuff. There is the common sense approach that has worked for a long time of keeping it close in the tribe. The stuff I saw as a cop and the stuff we found humorous as cops was not funny to "normal" folks. It is why you had unwritten rules of no pictures, recordings or evidence. In my later years of LE, I was constantly shaking my head with all the stuff that was being photo's and shared with people via social media. Absolutely stupid, and deserving of stupid prizes. Own worst enemies comes to mind. There is a dignity issue. The folks who have to deal with horrible things use gallows humor and often less than appropriate mechanisms to deal with stuff. Comes with the job. With that said, it has to be done with some level of common sense and situational awareness to not offend those outside the tribe. Cracking a joke to avoid puking at the sight of a decapited body is a coping mechanism. Doing it in the presence of the deceaseds family is stupid and heartless, and sending pictures to your girlfriend (yep...I have seen this exact thing) is deserving of termination when it craps backwards.

willie
09-07-2017, 07:13 PM
And not even one mention of the famous John Holmes who may be unknown to the younger crowd here.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

I forgot when I abbreviated your name there was a blues here too. My apologies to both of you. Lol

SeriousStudent
09-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Three can keep a secret if two are dead. Biggest issue is talk and social media. You can only imagine what happens in hospitals and E/R's. Things in orifices that shouldn't be. All sorts of human depravity and unusual stuff. There is the common sense approach that has worked for a long time of keeping it close in the tribe. The stuff I saw as a cop and the stuff we found humorous as cops was not funny to "normal" folks. It is why you had unwritten rules of no pictures, recordings or evidence. In my later years of LE, I was constantly shaking my head with all the stuff that was being photo's and shared with people via social media. Absolutely stupid, and deserving of stupid prizes. Own worst enemies comes to mind. There is a dignity issue. The folks who have to deal with horrible things use gallows humor and often less than appropriate mechanisms to deal with stuff. Comes with the job. With that said, it has to be done with some level of common sense and situational awareness to not offend those outside the tribe. Cracking a joke to avoid puking at the sight of a decapited body is a coping mechanism. Doing it in the presence of the deceaseds family is stupid and heartless, and sending pictures to your girlfriend (yep...I have seen this exact thing) is deserving of termination when it craps backwards.

Indeed. I am sure that many of the things we did 30-40 years ago are likely worth jail time today.

What happens in the ER, stays in the ER.

JohnO
09-07-2017, 07:59 PM
And not even one mention of the famous John Holmes who may be unknown to the younger crowd here.

Ironic isn't considering the name of the guy who posted that.

Soggy
09-07-2017, 08:39 PM
"Pistol"-Forum

Jim Watson
09-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Actually not. There is a series of boards devoted to recounting strange things in ER, also Psych and even pharmacies.
SOCMOB you know.

Nephrology
09-07-2017, 10:54 PM

I am very familiar with the institution but not necessarily the RNs in question. This is not the culture of professionalism I am familiar with but I am not as familiar with the nursing staff as I am house staff + attendings. Institutionally, I won't comment a length in public, but suffice to say the consensus is that there is room for improvement.

"Hospitalized" leads me to believe he was on an inpatient unit, in which case it is highly unlikely I would know anyone involved.

Sensei
09-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Indeed. I am sure that many of the things we did 30-40 years ago are likely worth jail time today.

There has definitely been a paradigm shift in the Vegas mentality of social safety net jobs (LE, ER, MIL, etc.). People will tolerate a certain degree of gallows humor as a coping mechanism, but there are lines that are gradually being moved back every year. A quick way to become a glorified waiter is to be a doctor that always jokes about sex, is a little to touchy-feely, or has a habit of demeaning hospital staff. If I could hazard a guess, this case probably involves all of those themes - nurses that have become a little too comfortable joking about sex finally crossed a line with a coworker who was tired of their bullshit.

Paul D
09-08-2017, 12:32 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nurses-suspended-patients-genitals_us_59b02421e4b0dfaafcf4b4e2

Suspend them? I'd want them to write a piece for my obituary. Maybe have it chiseled on my head stone. "Even in death, women couldn't help but admire..."

Head stone. Heh.

That it is pretty fucked up. I don't think it is even remotely amusing. If we flipped the script, how would you guys feel if 5 male nurses were ogling the breasts and genitals of your incapacitated wife or daughter? I guess too much gallows's humor and familiarity breeds contempt. If you allow that type of contempt to pervade the institution, then you are gonna hurt patients. One time I caught a respiratory therapist filming my patient going through a code arrest. Now there are 5 hospitals that RT can never work in again. Okay okay...I'll dial down the prude rant dial now...

Dagga Boy
09-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Actually not. There is a series of boards devoted to recounting strange things in ER, also Psych and even pharmacies.
SOCMOB you know.

And the fact that there is a public board to discuss it is the definition of why there is a problem.

That it is pretty fucked up. I don't think it is even remotely amusing. If we flipped the script, how would you guys feel if 5 male nurses were ogling the breasts and genitals of your incapacitated wife or daughter? I guess too much gallows's humor and familiarity breeds contempt. If you allow that type of contempt to pervade the institution, then you are gonna hurt patients. One time I caught a respiratory therapist filming my patient going through a code arrest. Now there are 5 hospitals that RT can never work in again. Okay okay...I'll dial down the prude rant dial now...

This is the key....it is the one cultural norm that should be universal.....Golden Rule. Having a bit of a laugh at the guy who impales themself on a broomstick they are shoving up their ass is way different than having a laugh or documenting some person who is having a medical emergency not due to total stupidity that could be something that can happen to anyone, or taking advantage of a person in a condition that they had no control over.

That is supposed to be what happens. Unfortunately, once people want to memorialize stuff on their phone, social media and in text form....then it does become criminal at best, unethical at worst. Much of what happened decades ago was basically a bit unprofessional, and the key was not to gloat in being a bit unprofessional.

BehindBlueI's
09-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Well, like it or not we treat men and women differently in different circumstances and that's ok. I don't think women tell genital jokes like men do, joke with their friends about the size of their genitals (there's no female equivalent of 'hey rice-dick, get over here) etc. Women don't rape men, either, and are not viewed as predatory when admiring a man. So, yes, "flip the script" and it can be different...because then the scenario is different. Flip the script to the guy had a tiny penis, and now they are humiliating him, which is also different. But dealing with it as is and as it happened, yeah, I find it funny. I also find dick jokes and stories about farts in elevators funny. My ex-beat partners "dino cock" story is hilarious, as is the time one of our frequent fliers allegedly got on court record as having an enormous crank as part of an identification process in a vice sting.

Peally
09-08-2017, 07:59 AM
I already trust general medical staff about as far as I can throw them (don't be all offended, it's not personal), so things like this are disappointing to hear. I agree with Paul and Dagga, making fun of a guy that did something really stupid after the fact as a coping mechanism is completely fine, but acting like an asshole on the job needs to be kept in check if possible. I don't agree with giving employees the 3rd degree over every little thing, but they should make an effort to not be stupid asses as well.

RoyGBiv
09-08-2017, 08:19 AM
every little thing.
Phrasing! :p

+1 for what BBI said.. It's too easy to be offended by everything.
If the nurses want to gab about my junk after I'm dead, well, I suspect I'll get over it.
I'd fault them for doing so in front of a grieving family, but, if you can't let off some steam, discretely, working a difficult job...

Paul D
09-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Well, like it or not we treat men and women differently in different circumstances and that's ok. I don't think women tell genital jokes like men do, joke with their friends about the size of their genitals (there's no female equivalent of 'hey rice-dick, get over here) etc. Women don't rape men, either, and are not viewed as predatory when admiring a man. So, yes, "flip the script" and it can be different...because then the scenario is different. Flip the script to the guy had a tiny penis, and now they are humiliating him, which is also different. But dealing with it as is and as it happened, yeah, I find it funny. I also find dick jokes and stories about farts in elevators funny. My ex-beat partners "dino cock" story is hilarious, as is the time one of our frequent fliers allegedly got on court record as having an enormous crank as part of an identification process in a vice sting.The thing is: rice dick and Dino dick are in on the joke. These people including men are not stupid criminals or your buds, they are folks who are in a vulnerable position and placed trust in you to care for them. I can't speak for police work but in medicine there are more professional and ethical ways to blow off steam without compromising the integrity of patient care.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Trust me, I have some mighty hilarious Dick stories. Add a year of Vice into the rest of general cop stuff, and I can go toe to toe with inappropriate stories with anyone.....key, time and place.

RoyGBiv....agree, and if hey had been discrete, this thread would not exist. I think there is a huge😉 difference between a couple nurses whispering about the guy in bed twelve making horses wish they were hung like him, and the body bag becoming a spectator sport...and then likely laughing about it later.

BehindBlueI's
09-08-2017, 09:39 AM
The thing is: rice dick and Dino dick are in on the joke. These people including men are not stupid criminals or your buds, they are folks who are in a vulnerable position and placed trust in you to care for them. I can't speak for police work but in medicine there are more professional and ethical ways to blow off steam without compromising the integrity of patient care.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Dino cock wasn't. He was strung out on cocaine and fighting folks at a hotel while in the nude. It's a good story.

If you're offended, you're offended. I'm not, and I can see the humor in it.

So, my next question would be, did he get a blue ribbon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAsraTQxmMg

Nephrology
09-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I already trust general medical staff about as far as I can throw them (don't be all offended, it's not personal), so things like this are disappointing to hear.

I think this is why Paul D and others (myself especially) don't find it as funny. I am very proud of my affiliation with Denver Health and the time I have spent there. For all of its quirks and shortcomings, it is a truly special institution that provides care to many, many people who cannot get it anywhere else.

I have absolutely been doubled over with laughter in their ED more times than I can count because, as has been pointed out, there are some crazy people who do some some fucking crazy shit out there and sometimes laughter is the only response. Still, a breach of professionalism like this undermines the credibility of the institution and the medical profession at large.

The currency of the doctor-patient relationship is trust. (Perhaps) unlike LE, patients' interactions with medical staff is 100% voluntary in most circumstances. People are free to walk out of the exam room whenever they like and to ignore every piece of advice they're given.

Trust is the only thing that keeps that from happening, and as funny as the story may be, it directly undermines Denver Health's mission to provide level one care for all.

NEPAKevin
09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Trust me, I have some mighty hilarious Dick stories.

Duelist
09-08-2017, 04:12 PM
(snip) Women don't rape men, either, (snip).

It's certainly not as common, but, much like female on male spousal abuse, it does happen.

Nephrology
09-08-2017, 05:00 PM
It's certainly not as common, but, much like female on male spousal abuse, it does happen.

Really, either way, the expectation when you walk into a clinic or hospital should be that any conversation about your (male/female/intersex/neither) genitals will be 1) private 2) non-judgmental and 3) focused on exclusively your health.

The expectation of non-judgement (not just privacy) is incredibly important, especially somewhere like Denver Health, where many patients in that population abuse drugs/commit crimes/sell their bodies/etc. Never underestimate the power of shame.

Wendell
09-08-2017, 05:23 PM

I remember watching an autopsy where I was so surprised by the decedent's non-existent (~1cm phallus) that I asked the pathologist about it. She didn't acknowledge it...everyone else in the room gave me the stink-eye...no one said anything...because I'd crossed a line (apparently). Gallows humour might have it's place, but - as time goes on - that place is harder and harder to find. Bottom line, I guess, is that we all want to be treated by professionals.

It's a slippery slope, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JqFDdvZgHM

SeriousStudent
09-08-2017, 06:13 PM

That is supposed to be what happens. Unfortunately, once people want to memorialize stuff on their phone, social media and in text form....then it does become criminal at best, unethical at worst. Much of what happened decades ago was basically a bit unprofessional, and the key was not to gloat in being a bit unprofessional.

One of the benefits of being old enough to have been Roy DeSoto's FTO. Cell phones did not exist then. :cool:

And I doubt Mark Zuckerberg's parents had met yet, back when I was driving a big white bus. I'm not saying they were ever married, just that they hadn't met.

Dagga Boy
09-09-2017, 07:17 AM
One of the benefits of being old enough to have been Roy DeSoto's FTO. Cell phones did not exist then. :cool:

And I doubt Mark Zuckerberg's parents had met yet, back when I was driving a big white bus. I'm not saying they were ever married, just that they hadn't met.

We could sure use some more DeSoto and Gage, and Reed and Malloy as examples today. I will also admit to a bit of a crush on Dix....

Nephrology
09-09-2017, 07:40 AM
We could sure use some more DeSoto and Gage, and Reed and Malloy as examples today. I will also admit to a bit of a crush on Dix....

Fun fact (that you probably know given your SoCal roots): the exterior of Rampart General was actually UCLA-Harbor Medical Center, which in real life is one of the top ER programs in the US. My clinical mentor at Denver General trained there.

JohnO
09-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Head stone. Heh.

How many gave consideration to the possibility that the nurses in this case may not have been female?

Chance
09-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Gallows humour might have it's place, but - as time goes on - that place is harder and harder to find.

Yeah. My cousin was a paramedic for 20+ years, most of it spent on medevac. The stuff those guys found funny would have them committed in polite society. I have a fairly macabre sense of humor, but sheesus, the stories he has.

Thugs with GSWs were their favorites. They'd taunt them mercilessly.

"I wasn't doin' nothing'."

"Just out selling Bibles at 3:00am, huh?

Sensei
09-09-2017, 10:55 AM
How many gave consideration to the possibility that the nurses in this case may not have been female?

I did and the sex of the offenders is irrelevant. Suspensions and terminations (depending on employment performance) is the proper outcome in this case.

The issue really boils down to the fact that people visit a hospital to have their medical needs addressed, not serve as a source of entertainment for the staff.

Sensei
09-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Yeah. My cousin was a paramedic for 20+ years, most of it spent on medevac. The stuff those guys found funny would have them committed in polite society. I have a fairly macabre sense of humor, but sheesus, the stories he has.

Thugs with GSWs were their favorites. They'd taunt them mercilessly.

"I wasn't doin' nothing'."

"Just out selling Bibles at 3:00am, huh?

A good sign that it's time to hang up the stethoscope.

SeriousStudent
09-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Adam-12 is available on Amazon Prime. I'm working my way through the series.

SeriousStudent
09-09-2017, 11:24 AM
A good sign that it's time to hang up the stethoscope.

I got asked a long time ago if I left EMS because things started bothering me.

I told the guy no, they had stopped bothering me.

And that bothered me.

RoyGBiv
09-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Squad 51, 10-4, KMG365.
Time out 1317.

Cypher
09-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I have yet to run into a woman that is so hot that I'd want to check her out dead

Hambo
09-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Adam-12 is available on Amazon Prime. I'm working my way through the series.

I hate to distract from dead dicks, but have you got a link? I bought season 1 years ago but I can't find other seasons on Prime. :confused:

gtae07
09-09-2017, 04:11 PM
After the first code I ran, and did CPR "for real" (volunteer FF for a while) even though the pt was obviously long gone, EMS transported and we got back in the truck...and I kid you not, "another one bites the dust" comes on over the FM radio that truck had. We sang along the whole way back to the station. It kind of helped me get my mind off the fact that the dead patient looked a lot like my wife...

Dagga Boy
09-09-2017, 04:46 PM
After the first code I ran, and did CPR "for real" (volunteer FF for a while) even though the pt was obviously long gone, EMS transported and we got back in the truck...and I kid you not, "another one bites the dust" comes on over the FM radio that truck had. We sang along the whole way back to the station. It kind of helped me get my mind off the fact that the dead patient looked a lot like my wife...

And the difference is......not recoding yourself doing it and posting to social media, not talking about it in "mixed company" (meaning those normal earth people who would never understand it), and if you do discuss it within the tribe, it is vague and fairly generic.

Nephrology
09-09-2017, 06:30 PM
And the difference is......not recoding yourself doing it and posting to social media, not talking about it in "mixed company" (meaning those normal earth people who would never understand it), and if you do discuss it within the tribe, it is vague and fairly generic.

For a while when I was interacting with people outside of the medical profession I forgot that most don't actually want honest answers to questions like, "What's the most terrible/disgusting/tragic/etc thing you've ever seen?" I've learned my lesson at this point. Some friends of mine who I trust to be intelligent and evenhanded I will share things with.

That said the conversation is never the same. I share/vent the most to my sister who is an RN. She does the same with me. Definitely very happy to have that in my life.

John Hearne
09-09-2017, 08:34 PM
At the last RM Tactical Conference a bunch of cops spent the evening drinking (heavily) with an ER nurse. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, learned a few things, and we had conversations that would make "normals" flee in horror. Most folks don't want to know about reality.