PDA

View Full Version : G30Gen4 vs G36

spinmove_
09-04-2017, 04:58 PM
So I'm considering using one of my GSSF vouchers for a G30Gen4. This would give me something to shoot Heavymetal and MajorSub with as well as having a useful G19 sized pistol in .45Auto with factory 10 round magazines.

I went to a LGS to rent a G30, but they didn't have one to rent. They had a G36 to rent though. So I rented one. It handled a lot better than I thought it would. The only problem I had with it was that the magazine extension was pinching my pinkie between it and the bottom of the frame. I'm still looking for a G30 to rent, but would I have the same issue with it that I would with the G36? Because if not, I could see having a G30 as a useful part of my stable.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Wondering Beard
09-05-2017, 10:05 AM
So I'm considering using one of my GSSF vouchers for a G30Gen4. This would give me something to shoot Heavymetal and MajorSub with as well as having a useful G19 sized pistol in .45Auto with factory 10 round magazines.

I went to a LGS to rent a G30, but they didn't have one to rent. They had a G36 to rent though. So I rented one. It handled a lot better than I thought it would. The only problem I had with it was that the magazine extension was pinching my pinkie between it and the bottom of the frame. I'm still looking for a G30 to rent, but would I have the same issue with it that I would with the G36? Because if not, I could see having a G30 as a useful part of my stable.

It's hard to say and very individual.

I get pinched every so often by my G19s but never by my G30; on the other hand, my grip has evolved since I shot the G30 regularly and I find that my palm makes it harder for the G30 mags to drop free.

I think that the G36 being thinner probably makes it easier to get pinched and the wider grip of the G30 is morel likely to keep your flesh away. But, as I said, it's hand dependent.

PD Sgt.
09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
I keep holding out for Glock to release the G30S in a Gen 4 frame. I am okay with the frame size on the Gen 3 30 and have not had a problem with pinching while firing, but greatly prefer the texture on the 4.

I do have to watch out on reloads to open up my pinkie enough so as not to pinch my finger or hand.

Wondering Beard
09-05-2017, 12:49 PM
I just realized that the OP was talking about the pinching happening while shooting and I want to clarify that the pinching I refer to in my post is only about reloading.
spinmove_ , I think the wider grip of the G30 should help you in terms of pinching while shooting. Can you mark where on your finger the pinching took place? that way when you get to, at least, hold a G30 you can compare where your finger falls.

spinmove_
09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Sure. My finger gets pinched on the inside part where my pinkie naturally rests on magazine extension.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/91ede7cd65935eefc4f2ca2c41e02c99.jpg

spinmove_
09-05-2017, 12:54 PM
There's at least a few other shops in the area. One is bound to have a G30.

steve
09-05-2017, 02:20 PM

The Gen4 G30 will shoot much softer than the G36 and should be comfortable to shoot. I have a Gen4 30 and a 30S and the Gen4 30 I use for GSSF because the weight of the slide tames the recoil. The Glock 30 in your hand should not pinch you with the Factory 10 round mags like the G36 does.

Wondering Beard
09-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Sure. My finger gets pinched on the inside part where my pinkie naturally rests on magazine extension.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/91ede7cd65935eefc4f2ca2c41e02c99.jpg

While I certainly can't tell for sure, I wouldn't be surprised, considering your pic, that your pinky would be resting in a different place with a G30 and that might prevent the pinching.

I also wonder if some stippling on that mag extension might keep your finger in a better spot. This is where only hands-on experience will determine this.

Good luck and I hope the G30 will work for you, because if it does, you are really going to enjoy the gun.

psalms144.1
09-05-2017, 06:23 PM
I qual'd with my G30S again today, and was remarkably impressed with how easy it is to shoot well. I really wish GLOCK would produce a Gen4 (Gen5?) G30 with the "S" slide. I believe that would be the cat's meow.

In the mean time, I MIGHT invest in a Gen4 G30, and shoot it with the "fat" slide for training, then switch to the "slim" slide for carry. IF, that is, I can get my ammo wonk to actually order me some .45...

MGW
09-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Is there really that much difference between the G30s and the G30? I would think in a holster the difference would be to small to tell.

It's been a long time since I had a G30 but I remember really liking it. I do remember occasionally getting magazine pinch while shooting but nothing terrible or consistent.

Wondering Beard
09-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Is there really that much difference between the G30s and the G30? I would think in a holster the difference would be to small to tell.

It's been a long time since I had a G30 but I remember really liking it. I do remember occasionally getting magazine pinch while shooting but nothing terrible or consistent.

it's basically a G19 slide vs a G21 slide in terms of thickness.

wlktheduk
09-06-2017, 10:57 AM

GSSF rules for the Heavy Metal Division would rule out the G36.
Heavy Metal rules: "170.111: "Please note that in this division you may load up to eleven rounds and will shoot every available cardboard target with two (2) rounds per string as is the case in every other Division EXCEPT Major Subcompact and Pocket GLOCKs."

So if the OP wants to shoot both Heavy Metal and Major Subcompact Divisions with the same Glock, a G30 is the only option, due to magazine capacity. (in .45ACP. IF the OP wants to use 10MM or .45GAP, then a G29 or G39 becomes an option)

Duces Tecum
09-06-2017, 11:17 AM
I really wish GLOCK would produce a Gen4 (Gen5?) G30 with the "S" slide. I believe that would be the cat's meow.

I'm not sure about this, but would it not be possible to (a) buy a G30-4 and (b) replace the slide with an "S"?

FNFAN
09-06-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure about this, but would it not be possible to (a) buy a G30-4 and (b) replace the slide with an "S"?

Yes. A Gen4 30S would be as easy as that.

spinmove_
09-06-2017, 12:16 PM
GSSF rules for the Heavy Metal Division would rule out the G36.
Heavy Metal rules: "170.111: "Please note that in this division you may load up to eleven rounds and will shoot every available cardboard target with two (2) rounds per string as is the case in every other Division EXCEPT Major Subcompact and Pocket GLOCKs."

So if the OP wants to shoot both Heavy Metal and Major Subcompact Divisions with the same Glock, a G30 is the only option, due to magazine capacity. (in .45ACP. IF the OP wants to use 10MM or .45GAP, then a G29 or G39 becomes an option)

Which is why I'm looking at the G30G4 over the G36...

wlktheduk
09-06-2017, 03:47 PM
My apologies, Spinmove. I misread your original post.
I thought you were trying to chose between a G30 and a G36 for GSSF use in Heavy Metal and subcompact.
Now that I have read more carefully, I realize you were wondering if a G30 would 'pinch" like a G36.

FWIW, my G30Gen3 does not pinch me, but the G36 does, which is why I have a G30 :-)