PDA

View Full Version : How to get started

SC_Dave
08-31-2017, 07:15 AM
So for a guy who has never shot competitively before and would like to try at an entry level with my carry gun, how would I go about getting started. My EDC is a G19 with and RMR. I think USPSA is where I want to try but I'm not sure. I've been to USPCA's website and read some. Assume I know absolutely nothing about competitive shooting and you'll be on point.

45dotACP
08-31-2017, 08:41 AM
USPSA is your game. Get your standard owb hip holster and a few mag pouches and you'll be shooting carry optics. I think you can load your G19 to capacity.

DO: make sure to let the match director (MD) and range officer know that you're new and they'll explain stuff.
DO keep the gun unloaded and hammer down until they tell you to make ready. Most matches are run as a cold range.
DO try to shoot all alphas. You're in minor power factor. Go as fast as you can safely shoot alphas.

DON'T try to catch the bullet when you are told to unload and show clear.
DON'T break the 180 degree plane with your muzzle
DON'T move or reload with your finger on the trigger.
and finally DON'T try to match speed with the local GM.

Some other considerations:
I'd join USPSA. The classifier system is a fairly accurate measure of skill, but it isn't entirely accurate.

Things like hit factor are basically just the total points of a stage, divided by it's time. High hit factors favor speed, lower ones favor accuracy.

Power factor won't be a consideration for you. Also, I believe major power factor is dumb.

And most importantly, just have fun. It's better than a day in a cubicle, even if you get dead last place. You may not shred for many years....or you may shred in a matter of months. You'll get out what you put in. And remember to be humble. People compare it a lot to golf and that you won't be tiger woods on your first match.

Also, after your first match, you'll quickly realize that a gun that runs is really almost all you need to do well. SFA,SAO,DA/SA, bore axis, caliber, TiN aftermarket barrels....none of that really matters much.

The USPSA website will list clubs. I suggest finding those club websites, seeing if your area Facebook page lists upcoming matches, and writing down when your local matches are.

Have fun man!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zincwarrior
08-31-2017, 08:53 AM
Good luck! I just signed up for my first USPSA event (tier 1). Old fart IDPA shooter waddling with the big boys. Watching some videos I think I'm gonna die!

P.E. Kelley
08-31-2017, 09:27 AM
In addition to USPSA as a starting point, I would suggest Steel Challenge type events.

Very little movement (if any) so you can concentrate on shooting well.

Courses of fire are simple to understand. (generally 5 steel plates that can be shot in any order with a designated Stop plate that is shot last)

Very little issue with breaking the 180 or other major safety violations.

Targets provide you real time feedback and you get to repeat each course of fire (stage) 5 times. This gives the new guy a chance to "figure things out".
You get in more "Draw from Holster" practice than any other shooting sport. (we see 5 or more stages generally, so that means 25 draws)

As with nearly every shooting sport you will find friendly people that will be more than willing to help the new guy.

Steel Challenge by design is very "new guy" friendly, with 22's rifles and pistol being welcomed! I recommend Steel Challenge type events for all new action shooting
competitors.

I am impressed that you are going to start...no matter where you start. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

walker2713
08-31-2017, 09:31 AM
GSSF is also good for beginners....no drawing from the holsters....simple format, with both advanced and many new shooters.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-31-2017, 09:50 AM
I shoot IDPA but USPSA can be fun. If you want something that isn't much running and just good for trigger pull and using sights, try Steel. It's relaxing.

My view as a FOG, like Zinc, compete against yourself for improvement and don't worry about winning. If you improve each time you shoot that is an accomplishment. In TX, you can find some nice intro courses to competition.

Just have fun. If you screw up, so what - you will learn. Even a DQ is a learning experience (assuming no one is bleeding).

Norville
08-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Find a local club and see if they have a new shooter or safety training program. Also, many clubs host an informal "practice " session once a week with a monthly match. Everyone is willing to give advice, just be careful who you listen to!

Zincwarrior
08-31-2017, 10:30 AM
I shoot IDPA but USPSA can be fun. If you want something that isn't much running and just good for trigger pull and using sights, try Steel. It's relaxing.

My view as a FOG, like Zinc, compete against yourself for improvement and don't worry about winning. If you improve each time you shoot that is an accomplishment. In TX, you can find some nice intro courses to competition.

Just have fun. If you screw up, so what - you will learn. Even a DQ is a learning experience (assuming no one is bleeding).

Wisdom there. OT but hope you and yours did allright through Harvey.

45dotACP
08-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Huge fan of steel matches here. Pat is right on. It's very beginner friendly.

SC_Dave
08-31-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm looking into steel matches as you guys mentioned. I'm not finding anything remotely close to me. I'm looking on steel challenge dot com.

Zincwarrior
08-31-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm looking into steel matches as you guys mentioned. I'm not finding anything remotely close to me. I'm looking on steel challenge dot com.

Dave also just look for groups that do USPSA and IDPA that hold steel type matches. I know of two groups (Central "Our Scorpions think your Spiders and pansees" Texas) here that hold different types of steel matches, but may not be listed on "steel match" sites. local gun websites may have more information as well. I would think NC would have good access to such. Are you near the border with other states? If so check those as well.

SC_Dave
08-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Dave also just look for groups that do USPSA and IDPA that hold steel type matches. I know of two groups (Central "Our Scorpions think your Spiders and pansees" Texas) here that hold different types of steel matches, but may not be listed on "steel match" sites. local gun websites may have more information as well. I would think NC would have good access to such. Are you near the border with other states? If so check those as well.

Thanks! You just gave me an idea.

RJ
08-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Beginner here also. Some random thoughts after 1 Steel and 3 USPSA matches so far for me.

Focus first on being safe and enjoying the experience. If there is an "Introduction to Action Pistol" course near you, take that.

Your equipment will probably work fine. Just get some mag pouches plus a decent OWB holster. I recently bought a Ghost pouch to try and really like it. Make sure your gun runs (is lubed) and use decent ammo.

You need to draw safely and smoothly, but don't need to go nuts on practice.

Steel is a great way to start. Just draw and shoot. For some reason hearing the ping! is a lot of fun.

Don't ignore one handed shooting. Both classifiers I've shot had one handed elements.

You lose more points hitting no shoots, misses and leaving Steel standing. Don't get too worked up on stage planning. My spirit guide Mr_White told me "shoot the right number of holes in the right number of targets." Keep it simple. Shoot the stage methodically.

Avoid slide lock reloads. If you shoot Production, load from 11 round mags at the Make Ready. Count 10 rounds, then reload on a chambered round.

Don't go nuts on accuracy, as in, waiting to Drill a 1" group. You don't always need 2A. Get hits at the center of the target but be ok with 1A and 1C scoring sometimes, if it is as fast as you can.

Member GJM has said shoot the close targets carefully and the far targets quickly. Point being MAKE SURE you get the points you can, but don't bust a gut trying to hit 20 yd targets.

Don't leave Steel standing. If you can practice things like Texas Stars though, do so.

Don't be afraid to shoot a Level 2 match, like a Regional Championship. The match is likely longer and more challenging, but will be well organized, likely.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheap Shot
08-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Lots of good advice in this thread.

https://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs.php. Link to find USPSA club near you.

KISS

For my first USPSA match, hell for my first year, my only goals:

Be safe. Meaning for me, I never ran, consciously kept finger off trigger until I had a sight picture, gun always pointed down range.
Shut up and listen. (This might only apply to me)
Pitch in and help at matches
Have fun

Let us know how it goes!

P.E. Kelley
08-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol Club has 22 steel challenge.

Google your location.
Search "nearby" for gun Ranges.
Peruse the website of those gun ranges.

Amp
08-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Watauga Gun Club in Boone puts on a good IDPA match and the folks up there are new shooter friendly:

http://www.wgc-idpa.org/

There is also Foothills Defensive Shooters in Wilkesboro:

http://www.foothillsidpa.com/

The Apprentice
08-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Following with interest. I am on the edge waiting to jump in I just havent done it yet I really want to start shooting steel challenge. I imagin it will be alot like starting jiu-jitsu showing up for the first time was that hardest everyone was supper welcoming and just wanted to help the new guy. Now I'm there 2 to 3 nights a week just starting the journey is the hard part. Now I just have to get myself to a steel match.

Sal Picante
08-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Following with interest. I am on the edge waiting to jump in I just havent done it yet I really want to start shooting steel challenge. I imagin it will be alot like starting jiu-jitsu showing up for the first time was that hardest everyone was supper welcoming and just wanted to help the new guy. Now I'm there 2 to 3 nights a week just starting the journey is the hard part. Now I just have to get myself to a steel match.

I think the gun community is probably like the Jits community (except for Paul Sharp): Welcoming...

BTW, Joliet? Come shoot IDPA this weekend: Oak Park Sportsmen's Club is in Plainfield...

The Apprentice
08-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Very tempting

Glenn E. Meyer
08-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Shooting steel with a 22 LR is a very nonstressful start to competition. Some folks are fancy pants guns. I shoot a Buckmark with a fiber optic front sight and just have fun. Yes, I have friends with space guns with the Hubble telescope mounted on them. Not me. Just ping, ping!

RJ
08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Very tempting

I would strongly suggest you try and shoot a match with that Pepperoni guy, if at all possible.

The Apprentice
08-31-2017, 05:52 PM
I would strongly suggest you try and shoot a match with that Pepperoni guy, if at all possible.

I know maybe he can show me how to shoot this px4cc I have

RJ
08-31-2017, 08:22 PM
I know maybe he can show me how to shoot this px4cc I have

He may or may not not know a bit about Berettas. :cool:

45dotACP
08-31-2017, 09:39 PM
I know maybe he can show me how to shoot this px4cc I haveDoooo it!

Jim Watson
09-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Lots of good advice, I can only add one thing. The only way to get started is to get started. The saddest words of a would-be competitor are "I have to practice to get good enough to enter a match." closely followed by "I need to buy a better gun to enter the match." Wrong. If you can be safe and follow instructions, you need to be out there this weekend.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
That's the truth. I have had folks say they need to go to the square range to just shoot more rounds with their crappy stance and trigger control. I could see someone saying they want to take a nice pistol handling class first but self-practice is like you know what before the marital bed for practice. Yes, there are videos.

RJ
09-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Lots of good advice, I can only add one thing. The only way to get started is to get started. The saddest words of a would-be competitor are "I have to practice to get good enough to enter a match." closely followed by "I need to buy a better gun to enter the match." Wrong. If you can be safe and follow instructions, you need to be out there this weekend.

I wish I could like this more than once.

Mr_White
09-01-2017, 05:19 PM
I wish I could like this more than once.

You can - just like and unlike and like and unlike and like over and over. End it with a like. The total likes shown on the post itself will still only be one from you (assuming your last button press was like and not unlike), but the poster will receive an email for each time you liked their post, and their total like count will still go up each time you press like. There is nothing like twenty email notifications of liking to tell your buddy that they had a good post. Here, I'll show you. :)

RJ
09-01-2017, 05:27 PM
You can - just like and unlike and like and unlike and like over and over. End it with a like. The total likes shown on the post itself will still only be one from you (assuming your last button press was like and not unlike), but the poster will receive an email for each time you liked their post, and their total like count will still go up each time you press like. There is nothing like twenty email notifications of liking to tell your buddy that they had a good post. Here, I'll show you. :)

LOL

SC_Dave
09-06-2017, 07:30 AM
So now for the dumb question of the month.

I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match. I also don't think I should shoot Federal Hyda Shok Tactical either. So what should I shoot?

BTW I got an email from Denver Defense in Denver NC yesterday saying they were starting USPCA matches on Monday nights. While it's not close to me , it's not that far away either so here's my opportunity I guess.

I appreciate all of the info you guys have provided.
David

mmc45414
09-06-2017, 08:01 AM
I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match.
Maybe ask yourself, "what is the consequence of failure?" and if you are honest with yourself, the answer will be "nuthin". You should, and I suspect you do, have no expectation of winning. So if you have an ammo problem, you will not win. If you do not have an ammo problem, you will not win. Your reloads are proven, I recently bought a Ruger 9mm 1911 and probably am 1k rounds in, and I think the only FTF/FTE type issue was with WBW from Walmart.

Lots of good advice, I can only add one thing. The only way to get started is to get started.
Yup, and like I said, you are not going to win your first match, so the sooner you get that behind you the better :)

Zincwarrior
09-06-2017, 08:15 AM

I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match. I also don't think I should shoot Federal Hyda Shok Tactical either. So what should I shoot?

BTW I got an email from Denver Defense in Denver NC yesterday saying they were starting USPCA matches on Monday nights. While it's not close to me , it's not that far away either so here's my opportunity I guess.

David

What's wrong with shooting the reloads? If they are moderately accurate there you go.
Also is the range indoor or outdoor?

SC_Dave
09-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Maybe ask yourself, "what is the consequence of failure?" and if you are honest with yourself, the answer will be "nuthin". You should, and I suspect you do, have no expectation of winning. So if you have an ammo problem, you will not win. If you do not have an ammo problem, you will not win. Your reloads are proven, I recently bought a Ruger 9mm 1911 and probably am 1k rounds in, and I think the only FTF/FTE type issue was with WBW from Walmart.

Yup, and like I said, you are not going to win your first match, so the sooner you get that behind you the better :)

Lol, for the record. No, I have no delusions of winning.........

SC_Dave
09-06-2017, 08:17 AM
What's wrong with shooting the reloads? If they are moderately accurate there you go.
Also is the range indoor or outdoor?

I guess nothing is wrong with shooting reloads but having not shot in a match before I wasn't sure if it was advisable or even allowed.

It's indoor.

DC_P
09-06-2017, 08:51 AM
I grew up in Denver and actually drove past that range a few weeks ago when visiting my parents. I didn't go in...

I am new to handguns and shooting in general, but have been to a few matches where I live and think they are a lot of fun and regardless of what some people will say about the 'realism' of the scenarios and way you move and shoot at any given organization's events, I am of the mind that any situation that makes you do different things while shooting than standing square in front of a target on the range will make you a better gun handler. Ammo won't matter as you get started. If you get a failure you can practice your tap - racks.

Go have fun!

Jim Watson
09-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Most of us shoot reloads for economy and gun fit. I like subsonics and while loading them is not a LOT cheaper than econoball, it is a lot cheaper than factory subsonics.
I know people who load differently to suit their pistol and their PCC, which seems to go against the concept, but if it improves their scores, they do it.
There is certainly nothing against it in IDPA, IPSC, or USPSA.

HOWEVER, indoor ranges have their own rules. The only limitation I see for Denver Defense on their site is: "Acceptable ammunition is determined by the Chief RSO. Steel core, tracers, or armor piercing cartridges are NOT allowed on the range." so you should be OK.

45dotACP
09-06-2017, 10:00 AM

DavidI use reloads to practice, whatever factory 124gr option is on Targetsports USA for cheap when it's match day.

Zincwarrior
09-06-2017, 10:33 AM
I guess nothing is wrong with shooting reloads but having not shot in a match before I wasn't sure if it was advisable or even allowed.

It's indoor.

Reloads are common in shooting events. While new to USPSA, I have played in IDPA for several years. Most of the time that was at an indoor range. Indoor competition s are fun. Be sure to bring a flashlight as they may do some night time scenarios.

45dotACP
09-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Also, if indoors, load up some power pistol under your 115s...really gets the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd ;)

SC_Dave
09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Also, if indoors, load up some power pistol under your 115s...really gets the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd ;)

LOL, I'm scared the oohs and aahs behind me would be from people discovering that I really do shoot that bad!:eek:

45dotACP
09-06-2017, 11:04 AM
That's why the Power Pistol mang...hard for them to see the bullet holes when the cardboard lights on fire :D

RJ
09-06-2017, 11:43 AM
LOL, I'm scared the oohs and aahs behind me would be from people discovering that I really do shoot that bad!:eek:

Literally every single person I've run into in a match has been friendly and supportive.

I was a bit nervous shooting a Level 2 match at the Columbia Cascade regional. Heck I was squadded with Mr_White. Talk about pressure. :cool: (Kidding. Everybody in my squad was great).

mmc45414
09-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Just remember, even if you are last, the person that actually steps into the arena is ahead of the person that is home on the couch watching people shooting on TV!

RJ
09-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Just remember, even if you are last, the person that actually steps into the arena is ahead of the person that is home on the couch watching people shooting on TV!

This.

I was 'almost' last in my most recent match, but hell, I was out there.

Tip: if there is any way to have someone video you, it is invaluable.

Look upon my suckage, and be heartened:

https://youtu.be/5UBMmlNbqVg

Zincwarrior
09-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Also remember, even if last, your still out there going pew pew with your bang stick. The worst day shooting is still better than the best day sitting on your butt.

Jim Watson
09-06-2017, 06:37 PM

What I heard most during my dalliance with Power Pistol was "What have you got in that thing?" The blast and flash will make you feel manly.

peterb
09-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Literally every single person I've run into in a match has been friendly and supportive.

Yup. Tell everyone -- ESPECIALLY the range officers -- that you're a new shooter. They appreciate it, and will make an extra effort to make sure you understand the procedures.

Jim Watson
09-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Going to find out Sunday afternoon.
I went to the air conditioned indoor range to adjust sights for new load that I will be using for at least the next 3500 rounds and an employee told me that he and a couple of others from the rental range staff will be at the Practical Match. We will be as helpful as they will let us.

NETim
09-29-2017, 04:32 PM
I would advise against shooting competition. Sure, it's fun. Sure, it makes you a better, safer shooter.

But you start doing stupid things. Like getting up out of a nice warm bed at 3AM to make a match that starts at 7AM on a windy, rainy, cool Sunday morning.

:D

Jim Watson
09-30-2017, 08:31 AM
But you start doing stupid things. Like getting up out of a nice warm bed at 3AM to make a match that starts at 7AM on a windy, rainy, cool Sunday morning.

Got that coming up next weekend, Mississippi State IDPA. In the past, I have overnighted but this time will be doing it all in one foop to accommodate frugal friends who do not think it worth $73 to get a couple more hours of sleep. Also the restaurant that added a lot to the trip blew away in a tornado.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-30-2017, 10:42 AM
We are rained out from the carbine match today. Thus, I will go to the gym and lift weights and watch the Food Channel on the built in screens of the treadmills. Maybe I will go get lunch at a new Chinese restaurant for me. Spicy Lamb with Curry. Delicious but I was atmospherically challenged for the rest of the day, the last time I had it.

Our group shuts down nasty folks pretty quickly and it very supportive of newbies. Had an interesting set of folks last time. South African safari guides and a Brit.

Gun Mutt
10-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Just moved to NC and to my delight, The Range in Oxford is about an hour away. I'm going next weekend to shoot my first ever Steel Challenge match and this thread was just what I needed. I'll be running my edc G19.4, but my gleeful, childish heart really wants to run my 1911. Shoot me a pm if you've got any single stack gear you're looking move.

Gun Mutt
10-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Shot the match, had a great time. Came in 10th of 47 center fire pistol shooters in all divisions. 21st out of 58 when you add in pistol caliber carbines & rimfire optics. I took 184 shots to clear 150 targets, learned a lot about my current capabilities, got all excited about knowing what I need to work on which means my next range trip is exciting because I have specific goals...just a friggin great day!

Need a G34 asap, look for G26 or 19 to go up for trade/sale shortly, gonna need some gear, too, shit...this is gonna get expensive. Oh well, no turning back now is there?