PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use anything like smart carry at the gym?

Long tom coffin
01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm looking for advice on acceptable gym carry.

I've been exercising for about the past year and I've dropped a little over 40 pounds from 242 to 198. Previously I've just been focusing on good cardio, light weightlifting, and getting off my lazy ass. Now, I'm switching to predominantly free weights. Previously I've been using a kangaroo holster with my glock 19; this is not working with the weightlifting regimen I am currently using. The spare mags keep falling out, the velcro keeps coming loose as my chest flexes, and the placement of the gun is less than ideal. I will still keep the kangaroo and the glock 19 for my jogs around the park. But weightlifting at the gym requires something different, and without going into too much detail, I'm in a particular situation where I would feel extraordinarily uncomfortable if I didn't have a firearm within arms reach.

So, I'm looking at the smartcarry, and stuffing either my LCR or my G26 in it. Has anyone ever used these before? If so, what are your opinions. Or, failing that, anyone got any better ideas?

JHC
01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Not for jumping jacks.

JHC
01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Seriously no but DUHHH it sounds like a valid idea. Depending on the activity planned of course. I will try it soon now that you mention it.

SmokeJumper
01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I've been searching for something along these lines as well for gym use. The following from Pistol Wear was what has been recommended, so far it looks the best for gym carry.
http://www.pistolwear.com/pt1.htm
I'm not sure how it would work out while doing crutches or any ab related/type exercises, but other than that it would probably work well. I'm not sure if badge/ID would fit in it either, but it can run in a pocket if need be. Take a look and then share your opinions. Can't recall if we covered this topic here, sorry if this one was already mentioned.

matman
01-11-2012, 01:16 AM
I use a pistolwear band. Ive carried a Glock 19 or 26 in it running, but prefer something smaller to avoid bouncing so much. Most recently my best option has been my Kel-Tec P32. I carry it inside a homemade kydex pocket holster and it works well to protect the trigger and keep the gun upright. I wear mine AIWB if I'm running, and I spin it to my strong side for crunches, and squats. Im picking up a Walther PPS to fill this role in the future, and allow me a flatter (than Glock 26) yet more potent (than the keltec) setup to carry. I plan on adding some form of internal retention for the holster such as velcro or a string to secure the holster j to the belly band with the PPS once I have it setup. Im usually just wearing it so the top of my drawstring ride over the guns slide to help retain it during activity. It conceals very well and is not very uncomfortable at all. I do prefer it over my compression shorts since they provide a layer of moisture control over just bare skin.

tmoore912
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
PT-One user here. Use it it for jogging, mountain biking and working out at the gym. I usually use my G19. I don't get any bounce while running. I wear it low on the hips and wear my gym shorts/warm up pants over the holster for less printing. Great holster for exercising with. I'm 5'10, 200#

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Holsters/Pistol%20Wear%20PT-One/2011-05-18_11-48-25_541.jpg

JAD
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I run with a PT-One. I currently use it with a Kahr PM-9. My lightweight Commander rolls too far outboard, and it isn't stiff enough to thrill me for condition one with a single-action pistol. I am actively looking for a more robust DAO that would ride well. The gun doesn't bounce or shift and is concealed easily under a long enough t-shirt. If I wore it at the gym I'd have to run it inside my shorts and tuck a t over it -- too many exercises have me hanging upside down.

JHC
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
-- too many exercises have me hanging upside down.

!!! same here. I won't hazard to carry if planning to do "pikes" or "windshield wipers".

BillP
01-15-2012, 03:07 PM
It's not completely out of sight, but my wife got me an Eagle runner's waist pack for Christmas. She was not pleased that I wasn't carrying on my longer runs out of the neighborhood. I carry a j-frame, speed strip, ID, and house key. On longer runs I don't even notice its there.

JHC
01-15-2012, 04:16 PM
It's not completely out of sight, but my wife got me an Eagle runner's waist pack for Christmas. She was not pleased that I wasn't carrying on my longer runs out of the neighborhood. I carry a j-frame, speed strip, ID, and house key. On longer runs I don't even notice its there.

That sounds interesting. I can't find it on Eagle Industries website. Not yet.