PDA

View Full Version : Shooting slugs with red-dots...re-zero after cleaning?

Unobtanium
08-29-2017, 05:16 AM
Most shotguns require the barrel come out for cleaning. Have any of you noticed your slugs no-longer shooting to POA after cleaning and having to re-zero the RDS?

voodoo_man
08-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Most shotguns require the barrel come out for cleaning. Have any of you noticed your slugs no-longer shooting to POA after cleaning and having to re-zero the RDS?

Dagga Boy

But probably the answer is...

https://i.imgflip.com/1ux3fl.jpg

ST911
08-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Most shotguns require the barrel come out for cleaning.

They do?
Are people actually cleaning their shotguns with any deliberate effort? Genuine question...

Unobtanium
08-29-2017, 09:41 AM
They do?
Are people actually cleaning their shotguns with any deliberate effort? Genuine question...

Well...yeah? It's how you field strip the thing. Do you clean your other weapons? They should be cleaned once a month, or when used. Otherwise rust and corrosion develop. That's my experience, anyway, at least, as relates to an M4 type rifle (regarding cleaning, not barrel removal).

txdpd
08-29-2017, 09:58 AM

No they don't. You can clean them from the muzzle end, unless you need to do gas piston or other internal maintenance the barrel can stay on. On shotguns like the 870 with a leaf spring ejector, just be careful not to bend the ejector.

I don't have an RDS, but ghost rings have returned to zero or shifted a couple inches at 25 yards, barrel mounted rifle sights (no magazine clamp) have always returned to zero. Magazine clamps can have all sorts of effects on zero and group size, so if your shotgun is tuned up, you have another reason not to mess with it.

GJM
08-29-2017, 10:02 AM
When I do clean, it most often consists of a shotgun bore snake and exterior wipe down with a cloth. Barrel comes off typically only if changing a fore end. I haven't noticed much zero change, although a fraction of an inch at my 25 yard zero isn't so easy to see. If you are worried, get a S1 where the optic is mated to the barrel.

Do you rezero your ghost ring sights every month when you remove your barrel for cleaning?