PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another EDC

vilacr
08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Hello forum members! I'm new here. I currently have an m&p 9c as my edc with a beretta 92fs and 1911 as range and sometime carry guns (rarely).
I have been researching and watching youtube videos for a few months now. A few firearms I have researched are the beretta px4 compact, canik tp9sf elite, sig p320c and a few others.
My question to you, more knowledgeable guys, is what firearms in a $300 - $500 price range would you recommend I take a serious look at?

Thanks in advance

JTQ
08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
I see you're new. Have you seen this thread?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

JTQ
08-28-2017, 09:38 PM
The S&W SD may be another worthy option https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13363-S-amp-W-SD9VE-2-000-round-test-thread

VT1032
08-28-2017, 09:45 PM
I know some people hate Glocks, but at this point, a Glock 19 Gen 4 is a pretty hard gun to beat for what you describe for a variety of reasons ranging from reliability and shootability to size to logistical benefits. It's on the high end of your range but if you look you could probably find one in the $499ish range. If you are LE or military, they can be had for $398 + tax at a blue label dealer.

Mitch
08-28-2017, 09:54 PM
What are you finding lacking in the M&p?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vilacr
08-28-2017, 10:39 PM
I see you're new. Have you seen this thread?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

Just read quite a few pages in that thread. I have held the px4 compact and the trigger feels similar to my 92 which is why i'm considering it.

Thanks.

vilacr
08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
I know some people hate Glocks, but at this point, a Glock 19 Gen 4 is a pretty hard gun to beat for what you describe for a variety of reasons ranging from reliability and shootability to size to logistical benefits. It's on the high end of your range but if you look you could probably find one in the $499ish range. If you are LE or military, they can be had for $398 + tax at a blue label dealer.

Never really cared for the glock grip angle.

vilacr
08-28-2017, 10:44 PM
What are you finding lacking in the M&p?

I'm mainly looking for an extra carry firearm to change up from time to time. I like my m&p 9c.
I like the feel of the canik elite and the DA trigger on the px4 compact.

Beat Trash
08-28-2017, 11:00 PM
I would pick a carry gun that has the features that you like. Then I would buy a second version of your carry gun. Take the second gun and attempt to wear it out from training and practice of what you have learned from training.

Bucky
08-29-2017, 06:04 AM
Based on your choices, the PX4 would clearly be my pick.

Nephrology
08-29-2017, 06:10 AM
I would pick a carry gun that has the features that you like. Then I would buy a second version of your carry gun. Take the second gun and attempt to wear it out from training and practice of what you have learned from training.

This. If you only own a few pistols, they should all function more or less identically in order to build proficiency and have backup copies of the same.

I'm mainly looking for an extra carry firearm to change up from time to time.

This is not really a good reason to change your carry pistol. The money would be better spent either buying another M&P9c or an M&P9 to go with it, or simply on ammunition and range time.

Carry pistols aren't talismans. They're tools designed to be used to save your life from an assailant. Here's a good read on the "carry rotation (https://pistol-training.com/archives/5586)."

vilacr
08-29-2017, 07:04 AM
This. If you only own a few pistols, they should all function more or less identically in order to build proficiency and have backup copies of the same.

This is not really a good reason to change your carry pistol. The money would be better spent either buying another M&P9c or an M&P9 to go with it, or simply on ammunition and range time.

Carry pistols aren't talismans. They're tools designed to be used to save your life from an assailant. Here's a good read on the "carry rotation (https://pistol-training.com/archives/5586)."

Point taken.

Thanks

spinmove_
08-29-2017, 07:31 AM

I can't agree with this more. If the M&P9c is working for you as a carry gun, go buy another one or a full sized version of it and make sure it works. Buying something different just to have something different is why you have your range toys (I.e. 92, 1911, etc.).

Buy another M&P9c, then run a case of ammo through it, then run 50-100 rounds of your choice of defense loads through it. Then buy another case of ammo or two and shoot all that up through your carry guns. Then come back and see if you really want something new.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Gray222
08-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Please stay away from the p320.

Get a Glock and be happy.

lwt16
08-29-2017, 07:43 AM
My recommendation would be based on your current skill level.

It could run the gamut from a M&P in .22lr for a beginner (simply to work on fundamentals with a similar action to your current carry piece) to a snub nose 442/642 for a more skilled shooter (for a BUG to your carry piece) to another M&P in .40 just to add variety to ammunition caliber. I know that when ammo was hard to find, having 9s, 40s, and .45s as well as .38/.357 made it possible to find ammo anywhere. If they were out of 9 I had other choices. My range trips were all based on what I could find to shoot so I would mix it up with revolver only days and 1911 only days.

I used to buy every pistol I could find (younger/single days) and I shot them a bunch before selling/trading them off.....so I "get" the desire to buy something new and exciting. I bet the majority of folks on this forum "get" that aspect.

I can tell you that the classes that I have been to and the cases of ammunition that I have shot.......as well as the steel target I bought, have all benefited me more than buying a new gun. I've got a ton of range toys that honestly, collect a lot of dust in the safe. My carry pieces (and now, my duty weapon) are all Glocks. I, like you, used to hate the grip angle and I swore I'd never buy one.

My first PD job I decided to try a Glock 27 as a BUG to my issued Beretta 96. Half a case of .40 later and I was sold on them.

Hopefully, you have a local range where you can try out different models. The G19 or 26 are hard to beat. I've heard good things about the P320 but I'd wait on that until Sig gets the drop safe thing worked out. Walther PPS gets great reviews too.

Good luck in it.

jeremy_[
08-29-2017, 08:04 AM
I keep wanting to switch to something else other than a Glock 17 (17 cut to 19 actually) but I'll end up spending a lot of money better spent on a spare and more ammo. I wanted to go PX4 until I watched a video of detail stripping one. A monkey with a twig and take a Glock apart and put it back together, I like that and I'm an engineer. Cheap parts and Magpul even makes mags for the 9mm, my 21 round mags are so far so good. Also, on the grip thing, mine has been flattened, stippled, undercut and chopped....I want to go back to stock now. If I could only buy a Gen 4 stripped frame as cheap as a Gen 3.

Kyle Reese
08-29-2017, 08:15 AM
PX4 Compact 9mm, G model for under 4 bills.

https://gun.deals/node/448781

Glock 19 Gen 4 for 469.99 with code GUN500.

https://gun.deals/node/472106

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

vilacr
08-29-2017, 08:44 AM
I keep wanting to switch to something else other than a Glock 17 (17 cut to 19 actually) but I'll end up spending a lot of money better spent on a spare and more ammo. I wanted to go PX4 until I watched a video of detail stripping one. A monkey with a twig and take a Glock apart and put it back together, I like that and I'm an engineer. Cheap parts and Magpul even makes mags for the 9mm, my 21 round mags are so far so good. Also, on the grip thing, mine has been flattened, stippled, undercut and chopped....I want to go back to stock now. If I could only buy a Gen 4 stripped frame as cheap as a Gen 3.

It seems as though many people love glocks. Are they really that good? I too am an engineer, I love tinkering :D
I was leaning towards the beretta (I feel the trigger would be safer for holstering, just me), but the glock recommendations are causing me to re-examine and start looking into the G19

jeremy_[
08-29-2017, 08:57 AM
They are the Honda Civic of guns. They're not oerfect, everyone who has one hates it but it works, OEM and aftermarket parts are everywhere and cheap, they're well vetted. The list goes on. Yeah, there are issues here and there but by and large you can buy an stock Glock and know it will run. Want a holster and everyone makes holsters for it in any size, shape, color or configuration.

As far as safety, keep the trigger guard clear and holster cautiously. I've been carry a Glock AIWB for 6 or so years and my anatomy is intact.

I would suggest that if you buy one, take it to a local bullseye shooter or the likes and have them coach you while transitioning. Swallow the pride. I'm lucky in that a good buddy of mine has won a few championships and coaches me for free.

blues
08-29-2017, 08:59 AM
It seems as though many people love glocks. Are they really that good? I too am an engineer, I love tinkering :D
I was leaning towards the beretta (I feel the trigger would be safer for holstering, just me), but the glock recommendations are causing me to re-examine and start looking into the G19

Define good.

They've been good enough for me since 1988 but I'm a more "practical" shooter and have no active interest in competitions and bullseye shooting per se.

While I appreciate all fine firearms, I'm not inclined to accumulate a houseful of them, and try instead to focus on the handguns, rifles and shotguns which I carried while employed in various arenas of federal law enforcement from the early 80's through the 2000's.

scw2
08-29-2017, 09:20 AM
I know some people hate Glocks, but at this point, a Glock 19 Gen 4 ... could probably find one in the $499ish range.

With the recent Gen 5 rollouts I've seen these going for closer to mid-400's. If you don't like glock for whatever reason, go with a M&P in the 400s.

okie john
08-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Hello forum members! I'm new here. I currently have an m&p 9c as my edc with a beretta 92fs and 1911 as range and sometime carry guns (rarely).
I have been researching and watching youtube videos for a few months now. A few firearms I have researched are the beretta px4 compact, canik tp9sf elite, sig p320c and a few others.
My question to you, more knowledgeable guys, is what firearms in a $300 - $500 price range would you recommend I take a serious look at?

I wouldn't buy another type of pistol. I'd get another copy or your EDC or put the money into ammo/training.

Okie John

psalms144.1
08-29-2017, 09:39 AM
In case you haven't heard it enough, I'll throw in the recommendation that you stick to a single "type" of firearm, or even better a single brand. If you like the M&Pc, I would get a FS M2.0, as these seem to have overcome the shortcomings in the earlier FS pistols. If you want to try a different striker, the G19 is THE answer - for so many reasons I don't want to type them (again). I don't LIKE GLOCKs, but no matter what else I've tried over the years, I have ALWAYS ended up back with the G19 and G26. Other GLOCKs come and go, but those two are always in my stable, and more often than not, in my holster.

If you want to try DA/SA, the Px4 Compact seems like the fan favorite, though I like my recently acquired CZ P07 as well.

JFK
08-29-2017, 09:58 AM
JDM carries this. And he is a pretty tuned up shooter. I think he used to carry an M&P before too.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16474-EDC-items-photo-thread&p=626404&viewfull=1#post626404

In seriousness I would put another vote for the Glock. I started shooting them for a backwards reason. I wanted to be better at competition and I traveled so much it was hard to practice. So when the SIRT training pistol came about I got one of them and a G17 as they were the same form factor and figure it would help me. Coming from a HK P30 it felt like trading in a Porsche for a Kia, but after a pretty short period I ended up with a G19 and that is still the gun I carry and the HK sits in the safe most of the time. As soulless and boring as it may be, it does just work. Add a Tau Development Striker Control Device and you will see the function soon[emoji769].

In addition I hate cleaning guns so the added benefit of a 5000 - 6000 round cleaning schedule make me happy.

blues
08-29-2017, 10:08 AM
As soulless and boring as it may be, it does just work. Add a Tau Development Striker Control Device and you will see the function soon[emoji769].

Nothing soulless and boring about a companion that can be relied upon to remain quiet and unobserved behind the scenes until called upon to (potentially) save your bacon. That's beauty in the eye of this beholder. And dressed up in a gadget...well, who's the pretty "it girl" now?

Beauty is as beauty does...

spinmove_
08-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Saying Glocks don't have a soul is kinda like saying the nerdy girl bookworm in the corner knitting a scarf with the big horn rimmed glasses and could stand to lose a could pounds doesn't have a soul. She's just a different kind of girl than your runway supermodel in the black cocktail dress who freaks out if she chips a nail.

Is the supermodel going to help you paint the deck, build a dresser, or get her hands dirty planting flowers in the front yard? That 1911 might look damn fine, but my Glock is far more apt to actually do things and have a smile on her face while doing it. Companionship and function are it's own beauty. Aesthetics are just the icing on the cake.

blues
08-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Saying Glocks don't have a soul is kinda like saying the nerdy girl bookworm in the corner knitting a scarf with the big horn rimmed glasses and could stand to lose a could pounds doesn't have a soul. She's just a different kind of girl than your runway supermodel in the black cocktail dress who freaks out if she chips a nail.

Is the supermodel going to help you paint the deck, build a dresser, or get her hands dirty planting flowers in the front yard? That 1911 might look damn fine, but my Glock is far more apt to actually do things and have a smile on her face while doing it. Companionship and function are it's own beauty. Aesthetics are just the icing on the cake.

I prefer to think of the Glock as the sexy librarian in nerd disguise.

spinmove_
08-29-2017, 10:34 AM
I prefer to think of the Glock as the sexy librarian in nerd disguise.

I guess that's sort of my point though. The nerdy knitting bookworm with glasses that isn't malnourished and isn't afraid to do things IS sexy to me.

vilacr
08-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Why can't I have the supermodel who isn't afraid to get dirty. In my eyes thats my wife. Which is why I was leaning towards the beretta...:o

JFK
08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Why can't I have the supermodel who isn't afraid to get dirty. In my eyes thats my wife. Which is why I was leaning towards the beretta...:o

Winner...

spinmove_
08-29-2017, 10:51 AM

If that's your thing, then drive on. The important thing is that it works and works when you need it to. I don't care what you carry, no should anyone really. I care more about how competent you are with your chosen tool, not how pretty your tool is or if it's the same as mine.

ca survivor
08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Just read quite a few pages in that thread. I have held the px4 compact and the trigger feels similar to my 92 which is why i'm considering it.

Thanks.

sorry, but there is nothing compact about the PX4C that is a very wide gun.

Bigghoss
08-29-2017, 01:05 PM
I will definitely recommend picking one platform and sticking to that, getting two or three identical carry guns and all the support gear squared away before buying different guns. If the M&P9c works for you, get a second, and a third, and a couple Shields, and a couple fullsizes.

I'm really liking my PX4 compact but more importantly, guys that run their guns hard and know what they're talking about really like the PX4.

1911's are like really old cars. They're super cool but to get one where you can trust it everyday is going to cost a lot more than just buying a Toyota Corolla and you're going to need to find someone you trust to work on it for you because not just anyone to do the work properly.

The only guys I've seen swearing by the Canik pistols are people who I don't think shoot enough or know enough to trust their opinion. I just haven't seen any solid info on them from people who I trust to take advice from to be comfortable with them as a serious gun. Maybe they're secretly great, I just don't know.

Sig P320 has that whole fires-when-you-drop-it issue and Sig is handling it so poorly that they can forget about getting any of my business at least until Cohen is gone.

S&W SD's are supposed to be pretty good and they're under $300 new. Should compliment the M&P line well.

If you think you can get on board with Glock, then go for it. I have a bunch, and like them but I carry an M9 at work so I'm switching over to DA/SA. I'm keeping my Glocks though. I just picked up a couple Gadgets (striker control devices from Tau Development). Easy to install and they add a nice little safety margin.

vilacr
08-29-2017, 01:39 PM
sorry, but there is nothing compact about the PX4C that is a very wide gun.

I just left an LGS handling the px4 and the g19, the width on the px4 is deceptive as it isn't much thicker and a minute amount shorter. The glock felt pretty good actually.
The sights are pretty bad though.

Cypher
08-29-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm mainly looking for an extra carry firearm to change up from time to time.

What is your rationale behind "changing up" ?

I've posted this before but one of my primary considerations when purchasing a gun is commonality. If I already had a 9C I'd buy a full size M&P9, a pack of XGrips and as many FS magazines as I could lay my hands on.

vilacr
08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Any of you guys know if any of the aftermarket parts for the gen4 g19 will fit the gen5 g19?

vilacr
08-29-2017, 02:16 PM
What is your rationale behind "changing up" ?

I've posted this before but one of my primary considerations when purchasing a gun is commonality. If I already had a 9C I'd buy a full size M&P9, a pack of XGrips and as many FS magazines as I could lay my hands on.

At first I was looking for another carry gun. I am now contemplating switching platforms all together. I've had my 9c for about 5 years now and have put thousands of rounds down range. My wife recently started shooting with me and likes the 9c. Now that I have put getting a new firearm into motion she can get my 9c to train with and I switch platforms altogether.

Bucky
08-29-2017, 02:23 PM
A question for those that recommend commonality. If one were to practice and compete with an STI on a regular basis, do you feel that person should carry something with a similar manual arms like a compact STI or other 1911 variant?

Nephrology
08-29-2017, 02:32 PM
A question for those that recommend commonality. If one were to practice and compete with an STI on a regular basis, do you feel that person should carry something with a similar manual arms like a compact STI or other 1911 variant?

Yes, unless you're competing in the A class or above, in which case you probably can shoot better than me so I won't be giving you advice ;)

okie john
08-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Any of you guys know if any of the aftermarket parts for the gen4 g19 will fit the gen5 g19?

Based on the Gen4 product launch, I'd give the Gen5 at least a year.

Okie John

Bucky
08-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Yes, unless you're competing in the A class or above, in which case you probably can shoot better than me so I won't be giving you advice ;)

Many would say I have no class. :o
I value your advice, just the same. :)

okie john
08-29-2017, 02:49 PM
At first I was looking for another carry gun. I am now contemplating switching platforms all together. I've had my 9c for about 5 years now and have put thousands of rounds down range. My wife recently started shooting with me and likes the 9c. Now that I have put getting a new firearm into motion she can get my 9c to train with and I switch platforms altogether.

Switching platforms because you can pretty much throws away the five years and thousands of rounds of experience that you have on the M&P platform. If you insist on getting a new pistol, then I strongly recommend another M&P. You'll have a spare in case one of them needs to go in for repair, craps out on you in a class, or gets confiscated after a use-of-force event. You also won't have to drop several hundred more dollars on holsters, mags, carriers, and tools to support it.

Two is one and one is none, etc.

Okie John

vilacr
08-29-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm ok with that. My wife will inherit the 9c so nothing is lost. I will carry my 92sf or Springfield 1911 until i have sufficient time with my new carry gun.

Hot Sauce
08-29-2017, 03:29 PM
So, basic gist is:

"Hey guys, I want to buy a new carry gun, what should I get?"
"Why do you need a new carry gun?"
"Because I'm bored"

OP, I encourage you to read the forum a good bit more, to try to understand some of the reasons why people switch their carry platforms. There is usually concrete reasons behind doing so. You do not seem to have an actual reason for switching platforms that you have/are able to articulate. That sounds like a clue.

The idea that as you're waiting to transition to a new--as yet undetermined--platform you'll ditch your EDC and just carry another one of your range guns doesn't seem well thought out. It takes months to acquire, calibrate, test reliability, and get used to a new carry gun. It's not something to be done as lightly as acquiring a new range gun to play with.

Cypher
08-29-2017, 03:34 PM

The following is my experience and my OPINION based on 20 years of carrying and looking for "the right gun" (Spoiler alert I ended up with a Glock 19)

To make a long story really short I started with 1911s transitioned to TDAs (Third Gen S&Ws / CZ 75B) Transitioned to alternating between TDAs and striker fired and ended up with just striker fired.

When I got to striker fired I ended up selling almost every gun I owned and picked up an M&P 9 & a 9C due to commonality then( I sold the 9C and got a Glock 19 and called it a day.

To make another long story really short what drove each transition was either an actual mistake in a self defense incident (panicked and forgot to disengage the safety on a 1911) or I did something stupid in training (engaged the safety on a Third Gen during a Tap, Rack & Roll exercise )

The main point of this ramble is that at each step my goal was to simplify the process. If I ever have to use a handgun in self defense I want it to require as little thought as possible. All I want to have to do is pull, point shoot. I would never carry a weapon for self defense that had a manual safety or a decocker or a dual (not double) action trigger and I'd certainly never carry a weapon (Beretta 92) with all three.

Mitch
08-29-2017, 03:35 PM
It sounds like your question is more what gun are you going to enjoy more. Really nobody here can answer that for you, but it sounds like you're drawn to the beretta. If that's what's going to make you happy, go for it. Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy.

vilacr
08-29-2017, 03:36 PM
So, basic gist is:

"Hey guys, I want to buy a new carry gun, what should I get?"
"Why do you need a new carry gun?"
"Because I'm bored"

OP, I encourage you to read the forum a good bit more, to try to understand some of the reasons why people switch their carry platforms. There is usually concrete reasons behind doing so. You do not seem to have an actual reason for switching platforms that you have/are able to articulate. That sounds like a clue.

The idea that as you're waiting to transition to a new--as yet undetermined--platform you'll ditch your EDC and just carry another one of your range guns doesn't seem well thought out. It takes months to acquire, calibrate, test reliability, and get used to a new carry gun. It's not something to be done as lightly as acquiring a new range gun to play with.

I have had these guns for many many years and do carry them on occasion. I am not ditching the gun it will still be in my possession. Yes I want another carry gun is that a crime? I am sure I am not the first nor will I be the last.

Thanks for your insight

okie john
08-29-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm ok with that. My wife will inherit the 9c so nothing is lost. I will carry my 92sf or Springfield 1911 until i have sufficient time with my new carry gun.

You don't lose the pistol, you lose your experience with it.

Right now you're mixing three platforms and you want to add a fourth. No problem. Get a new range gun if you want one. But everyone on this thread is telling you that boredom is a supremely bad reason to change your EDC.

Maybe you should let that sink in.

Okie John

Duelist

If my wife liked my carry gun, and I did too, I'd buy 2 more of exactly the same thing, plus more magazines, holsters, and lots of ammo. It ain't very sexy, but it is practical.

vilacr
It sounds like your question is more what gun are you going to enjoy more. Really nobody here can answer that for you, but it sounds like you're drawn to the beretta. If that's what's going to make you happy, go for it. Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy.

Thank you, I already have. About 5 minutes ago.

Thanks everyone for your responses and knowledge.

SSGN_Doc
08-29-2017, 05:31 PM
These guys are giving advice based on their experience as trainers, students, carriers and tool users of pistols. I recently switched from the Glock platforms back to Beretta platforms. Military time and my first pistol purchase put me into experience with Beretta's in the 92 family. Concealed carry drove me more to Glock 29 and 26 for concealability. When the compact Px4 came out I had my interest renewed in Beretta for carry. I hated the levers. Once I found out low profile levers were available as well as decocker only, that kind of did it for me. That and my desire to go to AIWB carry as my prefered carry location.

Walking away from Glock as my carry gun was not taken lightly. Drilling regularly with my Px4 to increase my proficiency with s traditional double action pistol was my own requirement before I began carrying it again. That took about three months and 1600 rounds. I have my Glicks but shifted them to my "range guns" the triggers are different enough I accept that I have to make shooting my Px4s a priority each range trip. Occasionally a differrnt pistol goes to the range for me to experiment with and keep any "boredom" at bay. But if the Px4 is going to be my primary carry gun, it is going to get primary use in practice. I have a full size as well because the trigger and manual if arms is the same and I can spread the wear while still reenforcing those skills that transfer.

I have a Canik TP9V2. It is slowly undergoing a 2000 round challenge to vet itself before I would consider it for any defensive role. It just isn't as widely used to have any reliable defensive credibility from other sources. I like it it has potential since it is basically a mechanical copy of a Walther P99 AS. Just not the widespread reputation of Beretta, Sig, Glock or CZ.

Hot Sauce
08-29-2017, 05:41 PM
I have had these guns for many many years and do carry them on occasion. I am not ditching the gun it will still be in my possession. Yes I want another carry gun is that a crime? I am sure I am not the first nor will I be the last.

Thanks for your insightI didn't say it was a crime. It does sound like you're doing the whole "carry rotation" scheme that @Nephrology (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1559) pointed out earlier.

What I meant by ditching was no longer carrying, rather than not owning, clearly.

I think what we have here is a problem of definitions. What the majority of people on this forum call an EDC is a pistol platform that they've chosen for specific reasons in offering them advantages for self-defense over their previous pistol. Then they tested and vetted it, and then bought several examples of it as practice/carry/backup pieces in what is essentially an EDC-geared armory. That's not what you're doing. I'm not saying it's a crime. I'm simply explaining to you why you're getting certain responses, when people hone in the fact that you're asking about EDC specifically. No one is judging you for being a gun whore, it's a gun forum, we all are.

Get what you want, dude, you're spending your own money, no skin off of my back. It just sounds like you were only hoping for a certain answer/affirmation.

But there's really no need to get defensive when almost every poster responds with some version of the same broken record. As Okie John suggested, maybe you should let that sink in.

Hot Sauce
08-29-2017, 05:51 PM
These guys are giving advice based on their experience as trainers, students, carriers and tool users of pistols. I recently switched from the Glock platforms back to Beretta platforms. Military time and my first pistol purchase put me into experience with Beretta's in the 92 family. Concealed carry drove me more to Glock 29 and 26 for concealability. When the compact Px4 came out I had my interest renewed in Beretta for carry. I hated the levers. Once I found out low profile levers were available as well as decocker only, that kind of did it for me. That and my desire to go to AIWB carry as my prefered carry location.

Walking away from Glock as my carry gun was not taken lightly. Drilling regularly with my Px4 to increase my proficiency with s traditional double action pistol was my own requirement before I began carrying it again. That took about three months and 1600 rounds. I have my Glicks but shifted them to my "range guns" the triggers are different enough I accept that I have to make shooting my Px4s a priority each range trip. Occasionally a differrnt pistol goes to the range for me to experiment with and keep any "boredom" at bay. But if the Px4 is going to be my primary carry gun, it is going to get primary use in practice. I have a full size as well because the trigger and manual if arms is the same and I can spread the wear while still reenforcing those skills that transfer.

I have a Canik TP9V2. It is slowly undergoing a 2000 round challenge to vet itself before I would consider it for any defensive role. It just isn't as widely used to have any reliable defensive credibility from other sources. I like it it has potential since it is basically a mechanical copy of a Walther P99 AS. Just not the widespread reputation of Beretta, Sig, Glock or CZ. Bolded for emphasis.

ca survivor
08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
I just left an LGS handling the px4 and the g19, the width on the px4 is deceptive as it isn't much thicker and a minute amount shorter. The glock felt pretty good actually.
The sights are pretty bad though.

One gun that carries real nice, for me, is an HK P-2000 I hardly carry it because is in 9mm (that's why it weights less) and I like .40 or .45ACP for SD, I have the P-2000SK in .40 and been almost the same it doesn't carry as nice as his big brother, my default gun is an HK USPc in .40 but that is a wide gun too, I always carry IWB though.

RJ
08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
One gun that carries real nice, for me, is an HK P-2000 I hardly carry it because is in 9mm (that's why it weights less) and I like .40 or .45ACP for SD, I have the P-2000SK in .40 and been almost the same it doesn't carry as nice as his big brother, my default gun is an HK USPc in .40 but that is a wide gun too, I always carry IWB though.

Could you expand on the bold part?

What about the P2000 in 9mm makes it carry well for you?

Trukinjp13
08-30-2017, 05:08 PM
If you carry and train with a striker then I agree with the rest on the kiss of this. I also agree on a g19. A lot more shootable for me then my m&p9c was. Not much bigger. The gen 5 looks damn promising to. I am running a p-10c through its paces. I love it so far. Shoot it better then I have glocks and love the trigger. It still is not as compact as a g19. Close but not there. G19 is probably the perfect sized fighting carry pistol.

I carry a px4cc, gun flat out shoots. But I only carry a tda gun. I also am a lot happier with my px4cc then I was my 92a1. Personal opinion obviously. I do believe you should carry one system. I think it is easier for a tda carrier to run a striker. Then vice versa.

ca survivor
09-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Could you expand on the bold part?

What about the P2000 in 9mm makes it carry well for you?

yes, my P-2000 is I 9mm and that's the one that carries real nice for me, I guess since is 9mm there is less weight in the magazine, the slide is rounded on top also, if I put the P-2000 in the USPc the P-2000 is very loose in there, but if you check the HK specs the P-2000 is labeled slightly bigger than the USPc, go figure.