PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43: Your Thoughts After Owning & Carrying for Awhile ?

SamAdams
08-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Hello everyone- - Guns tend to get a lot of attention when they first come out. Often there's a lot of buzz around a new model (often hard to obtain when first released because of high demand). People post reviews outlining their impressions. But that tends to decline after awhile. Attention shifts to something else.

For those who own and carry the Glock 43 - - What observations and advice would you give to someone considering one now ? What role did you have in mind for it originally? Does it fill that role ? What has been your experience with higher capacity mags ? What about holsters, mag carriers, sights, etc ? You can't have everything- - is the compromise in capacity and shootability of the 43 worth what you gain in concealability & ease of carry ?

If someone offered you every last penny that you spent on the 43 and all the gear & accessories you've purchased if you turned it in,- - would you take them up on it ? Would you buy something different based on your experience? If you own a Glock 26, how does it compare (in terms of your personal use) to the 43 ?

Anything else you'd like to add about the Glock 43 ?

Thank you

Doc_Glock
08-28-2017, 11:44 AM
I bought one and pretty much hated it. I had a lot of rounds through a G42 and used the G42 in the "clip on, no belt" gun role.

I found the G43 to be too heavy to carry belt less running, harder to shoot, and harsher than a G42, and not much of a size difference from a G26 for belted carry.

I sold it. I missed it. I bought it back and gave it another chance.

Once I figured out a belted carry system for the 43, it has supplanted the G42. Specifically I use it only for running, belted, or for padding around the house with a clip on Vanguard trigger guard.

I tried to run with a G19, and 26 belted up, and while it could done, they weight was annoying enough to go with the G43 instead.

Reliability has been good but I only have about 500 rounds through it.

Accuracy is well above my ability. Kyle Defoor is hitting 90+ regularly at 25 yards with it. I have done so rarely.

El Cid
08-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Have two with over 1,000 rounds through each. No complaints and the G43 fits in my pocket where my G26 won't. It replaced my J-frame and I've no regrets. I've had good results with TTI mag extensions and the ETS extended mags. The only thing I'd like to change is the slotted/grooved trigger for a smooth one. That's purely personal preference and I can and do live with the grooved trigger.

TCFD273
08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
I've owned and carried a G43 for about a year as a backup mainly, sometimes (very seldom) as a primary off-duty. I have a set of ameriglo hackathorn sights on it, with a Taran +1 extension, and +2 on my spare magazines.

I absolutely love it for my particular purposes. I find it far more shootable than a Shield. Which I currently own 2, 1 of them for several years.

I don't know if a comparison to a G26 is fair. The 26 is a good primary gun if your unable to conceal a 19 sized gun, plus it can take full size mags.

The better comparison is to other single stack 9's. I prefer it over the other ones currently available.

Would I sell it? No, because I would just end up buying another one.

If your looking for a single stack 9, the G43 would be an excellent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason M
08-28-2017, 11:52 AM
So, I Had a 43. I purchased it with the intention of giving it a run against my J frame as an on duty BUG, It was also considered as an off duty carry for places that have misguided restrictions on magazine capacities. I have a variety of other 9mm glocks that the 43 was going to augment rather than totally replace. Mine was an early one and did not have the cleanest trigger. It was heavier and had some grit that my other glocks did not have. I installed Trijicon HD sights. I only ever used standard/flat base plate magazines. I purchased the Vickers slide stop but did not install it. The gun was carried IWB in a Blade Tech Klipt holster in the 2:30 position. Mag pouches were the double RCS OWB pouch or a BFG double 10 speed. They all concealed well either IWB/OWB but it was a total no go as a pocket gun. That is how I carry the J frame so right from the get go the 43 failed as BUG.

The gun was very accurate but a little more than I wanted recoil wise. The real problem came when attempting to attain a master grip at speed. I have big mitts and was just not able to get that all important grip "first time, every time" at speed. The J frame just falls into place naturally. No so the little glock. For me, the G26 is waaaaay more shootable in more respects than just ability to get the right grip at speed. Plus, full size reloads, better recoil manners, compatibility with fulll size gun holsters..... etc. There was not enough juice to warrant the squeeze of the 43.

If you have big hands, I would look elsewhere. Same same if you are recoil averse. While the gun is small, it did not find it easier to conceal than a 26.

While the 43 is a well made gun and there are a lot of good points to it, it did not work for me. Assuming that there no changes in my pistol needs, I would not seek another one.

As always, guns are to a great degree, a subjective thing. YMMV.

L-2
08-28-2017, 12:11 PM
I bought my G43 as a backup gun, usually worn on my body armor. Alternatively, I've got an ankle holster and a pocket holster for the G43. I currently have 5650 rounds through it.

The gun it has mostly replaced was my S&W 642-1. The G43 is still a bigger package with the pocket holster I use for it compared to the S&W 642-1. Therefore, the J-frame revolver still occasionally gets carried.

Now retired as a cop, I'll only carry the 642-1 or G43 when I go bare minimum, which is not often. I'm usually carrying a larger Glock or 1911, as I like and am most proficient with both platforms compared to other guns I own. I will carry one of my G26 models more than my G43.

I will keep my G43 as one of a dozen Glocks I own. No other Glock I own works as well as a backup gun (yes, even retired I'll still carry two guns depending on my attire).

The G26 and G43, although they might overlap for your purposes, don't replace each other for my purposes.

Advice, ensure you're getting a G43 with the latest #33564 connector. Glock will send this connector to Glock Armorer for free if the G43 serial number used shows it came with the old connector. If you're not a Glock Armorer, then you'll either need to buy one from a 3rd party (glockparts.com) or find a Glock Armorer to order one for you. This is assuming you'll install it yourself.

I generally don't answer these made-up dilemmas as the answer is to buy both, especially when the OP has zero info in his/her profile; but I'm retired now, and had some time.:)

lwt16
08-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally, I bought one to use as a BUG at work and carried it in my front left trouser pocket. I previously carried a PPK and then a 442 while the PPK was recalled by Smith and Wesson. The G43 worked well for such a role and I added Talon grips, Ameriglo Hackathorn front trit sight with an Ameriglo claw rear blacked out sight, and a Magguts kit to afford me 8 total rounds with a flush fit magazine.

My agency added Tasers to our belts and after riding the lighting and placing said Taser on the belt where the department insisted it go, I could no longer smoothly draw the G43 out of that same left pocket. I switched it down to my left cargo pocket and it flopped around too much for my liking. I reluctantly shelved it and replaced it with a G42 that I bought from a coworker for 275.00. The lighter weight G42 rides well in that cargo pocket after getting a similar sight set up and grips/Magguts.

My G43 comes out to daylight on the weekends and it rides in an IWB Foxx holster. When belt carried, I switch over to the magazine with the Pearce plus 1 base plate to afford my pinky a place to hang on to. Great set up for around the house, mowing, running errands, etc.

I wouldn't trade it for what I have in it. I get blue label pricing so I'm already sitting at a pretty good dollar figure for the entire set up. The piece is uber reliable and very accurate.......I do have to really concentrate my trigger finger to keep from pushing shots left......something I don't have to do nearly as much with double stack Glocks.

My agency actually issues G43s to those of us that want them and even though I already had one, I chose to get one issued to me. I may opt for it instead of the G17 at retirement.....assuming that we haven't moved to some other platform. We get to keep our sidearm at the 25 year mark if we choose to.

Regards.

On edit: The one thing I don't like (and it's not the gun's fault) is the slide lock I induce with a thumbs forward grip........If I point my thumbs down, I never have the issue so I know it's me and not the gun.

Gray222
08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
While I have not had an exorbitant amount of time with the 43, I will say that I conceals exceedingly well with tighter clothing/formal clothing like a suit/etc.

The shoots fine with the Ameriglo UC sights (green front) and groups well enough at 25 yards.

The only role I see it filling for me, personally, is to allow me I carry a small framed pistol in a place I would otherwise not be able to. Especially places like NYC or somewhere I'd need to go in formal clothing and carry a firearm. For that it works great.

Everywhere else a glock 19 works perfectly.

okie john
08-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Mine came with TALO sights. I stippled it, added the clip-carry thing, and shot it a bunch. No other mods. I rarely carry it, but when I need it, nothing else will do. It's remarkably accurate, especially with 147-grain American Eagle FMJ, and it's not that hard to shoot well quickly. On reloads, the magazine sometimes hangs up on my hand, so I plan to rip the magazine free on EVERY reload.

The first thing that Larry Vickers says in his video review of it is that the G43 a good piece, but that you should carry a G19 or bigger if at all possible. Based on my experience, I concur 100%.

Okie John

lwt16
08-28-2017, 12:37 PM
It's the bomb for suit carry.

I don't currently own a magazine carrier so I opt for my G19 or 17 for suit carry. But I will admit that I got lazy and carried the 43 while wearing a suit and it was nice.

My draw from concealment suffers enough on the timer with fuller sized guns but I am noticeably slower with the 43. I have fairly large hands and find I can draw the 19 and 17 out much faster. Feels more secure too.

The 43 is still a great carry gun.....I'm fond of it in it's limited role in my lineup.

PNWTO
08-28-2017, 12:37 PM
I didn't like it at first. 12 months later it has replaced my G19 for most time on my belt.

I originally bought it for an ankle piece at work. I liked shooting it but was meh and almost sold it a few times. When Defoor started posting about his 43 adventures I gave mine a second look, about two cases of ammo, and a class. For about two months, every single time I wanted to shoot/dryfire/handle a handgun I forced myself to grab the 43. This worked and although it will never touch the performance of the 19, I like it. With the TLR-6 I like it even more.

SamAdams
08-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments.

I'm a civilian now. I conceal carry. Usually its a G19 or G26. Occasionally, when I absolutely must because of potential concealment issues - it'll be an Airweight J-frame. This happens less than 1 time in 20 when carrying. I'm considering the 43 as a replacement for the J-frame. (Reasons: Effectiveness of 'List' 9mm, capacity, speed & ease of reloads) I also wouldnt mind something a little lighter & less bulky for when doing chores around the homestead.

P.S. - any particular S.D. ammo preferences with the 43 ? All bullet weights o.k. ?

Gray222
08-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Ohh, just to add...the ETS extended mag makes it viable for suit carry as it's slim enough and light enough to hide and still have a reload...

Gun Mutt
08-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Love my 43. I wear it AIWB under a tucked in shirt 6 long days a week and it's more comfortable than a j-frame and more concealable that a Shield in this role. I shoot it better than the Shield, too. My 26 sits untouched on a shelf since I got my 43. When I'm on my own time and can run an untucked shirt, I choose a 19 AIWB.

I make it a point to put at least 30 rounds through my 43 any time I'm at the range; 2 runs each with a Pearce+1, a TT+1 and a Vickers/Tango Down+2. FWIW, I carry the Pearce in the pistol and a VTD as a spare. I got the TT before the offered extra powered springs, and though I've not had a malf with it, I still don't fully trust it.

Chuck Haggard
08-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Mine serves as a very nice clothes gun, or gym shorts/yard work gun. It's supplanted my snubs in that role since it tolerates sweat and dust better, doesn't rust, and is vastly easier to detail clean.

I'm using Dark Star Gear and Keepers holsters. Two of my mags have extenders, one from Tango Down, the other a Vickers, both work find and create reliable 8 round mags.

I've gel tested 124gr HST, 124gr +p Gold Dot, Critical Defense, and 115gr Silvertips from my gun. All the above actually expand through 4 layer denim, many other loadings do not.

M2CattleCo
08-28-2017, 01:01 PM
The 43 has become my favorite pistol. I carry it aiwb, at 3:30 iwb and owb. I have a few of 'em, one with almost 4K through it, one with about 1200, no problems with any.

RAM Engineer
08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Two of my mags have extenders, one from Tango Down, the other a Vickers, both work find and create reliable 8 round mags.

Umm...I thought Tango Down made the Vickers extensions.

Mike C
08-28-2017, 01:45 PM
I have two of the G43's. I think they are great pistols but they are a niche gun for me. Yard work, cycling and running primarily. I run my M&P 340 for just slinging weights as it doesn't cause the gym shorts to sag.

Both of the guns I own have been ridiculously reliable. The training gun has roughly 6K through it, carry gun just over 2k. I am less than happy with the finish though as I've managed to wear through it in no time. It hasn't rusted ever which I am happy about but it happened in a matter of 5-6 weeks. It is a very shootable gun for its size. My draw to 3x5 at 7 is only .20 slower than a full size. As a matter of fact it is pretty impressive if you run Gabe's standards with it. I remember the times being not too far off of my normal times draw suffers some. It mainly it's the splits and head transitions. I find the recoil manageable with the LE9T5 135gr +p though I really like the standard pressure 147gr HST. The HST groups really well and is soft, at least to me it is. For those that don't like the recoil the DPX load is even softer than the HST. Now, of all the Glocks I've owned or shot it's probably my favorite and least problematic even though it's a niche gun. I think that the 43 and even the 42 are pretty solid offerings. I think they are really best in their class though I don't think you can compare them to the micro guns.

Chuck Haggard
08-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Umm...I thought Tango Down made the Vickers extensions.

Doh! [Homer Simpson noise...]

Tango Down/Vickers, the other is from Ghost

lwt16
08-28-2017, 01:48 PM
P.S. - any particular S.D. ammo preferences with the 43 ? All bullet weights o.k. ?

I have ran the following......

Speer Gold dot 124 +P
Federal HST 124, 147, and 147 +P
Remington Golden Sabers
Hornady Critical Defense
Some old Black Talons
Federal Hydra shoks

as well as FMJ loads....

WWB
Remington
American Eagle
Perfecta
Federal aluminum
etc.

I'm probably at the 1000 round mark with no stoppages (other than the aforementioned fat thumbs pushing the slide lock up during a magazine). Ejection is pretty uniform for a Glock with 4 o'clock piles to my right. Mine passes the "magazine less" single shot test with ease.

If I remember right, our range officer here at work said they issued out a little over one hundred of them and he saw no stoppages that weren't shooter related. He's a Sig fan and hates Glocks but even he was pleased with our recent G17/G43 rollout to replace our first gen M&Ps.

Forgot to mention I rock mine in a Galco belly band sometimes. It disappears underneath shorts and a tee shirt and is a comfortable companion on walks.

Gumbo
08-28-2017, 01:55 PM
I've had mine for about 1.5 years, about 500 flawless rounds through it. I carry it when I don't feel like carrying a gun/have trouble concealing my g19, which is probably about 5% of the time. It is very accurate, but harder for me to shoot to the same level of accuracy that I normally produce with a 19/26 (large glove size hands). It still has factory sights on it, mostly because I tell myself that I don't use it enough to justify upgrading.

All around, its a great little gun, but I just shoot/handle the double stacks so much better. It does have its place in my safe and I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

psalms144.1
08-28-2017, 02:29 PM
I've had my G43 since they were released - pretty early adopter. My thoughts are it's a decent, flat small pistol for IWB/AIWB carry, but pretty large and heavy if you want a pocket carry option. I think it would excel as a BUG strapped to soft armor under a uniform shirt - more shootable than a J-Frame, more capacity, better sights, faster reloads - what's not to love?

The pistol is accurate, but as many have pointed out, the grip is SMALL and "slick" - so I really struggle with being able to run the pistol at any kind of speed.

The grip is longish for ankle carry - longer than a G26 by a noticeable margin, but should be workable with a decent holster.

As many others have stated, it's a good option for around the house or out and about with the lightest covering garments.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for years before acquiring the G43. The PM9 is smaller and lighter, it is, in fact, carry-able in normal pants pockets while maintaining similar capacity. The PM9 has a lot fewer sight options, more expensive base price and magazine cost, though, and the trigger takes some getting used to.

Were I in the market right now for a subcompact 9mm single stack, it would come back to if I wanted to be able to carry in pants pockets. If yes, then I think the PM9 is a better choice. If not, the G43 makes more sense.

TGS
08-28-2017, 03:13 PM
I've had my G43 since they were released - pretty early adopter. My thoughts are it's a decent, flat small pistol for IWB/AIWB carry, but pretty large and heavy if you want a pocket carry option. I think it would excel as a BUG strapped to soft armor under a uniform shirt - more shootable than a J-Frame, more capacity, better sights, faster reloads - what's not to love?

The pistol is accurate, but as many have pointed out, the grip is SMALL and "slick" - so I really struggle with being able to run the pistol at any kind of speed.

The grip is longish for ankle carry - longer than a G26 by a noticeable margin, but should be workable with a decent holster.

As many others have stated, it's a good option for around the house or out and about with the lightest covering garments.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for years before acquiring the G43. The PM9 is smaller and lighter, it is, in fact, carry-able in normal pants pockets while maintaining similar capacity. The PM9 has a lot fewer sight options, more expensive base price and magazine cost, though, and the trigger takes some getting used to.

Were I in the market right now for a subcompact 9mm single stack, it would come back to if I wanted to be able to carry in pants pockets. If yes, then I think the PM9 is a better choice. If not, the G43 makes more sense.

PM9s seem to be hit or miss with reliability, especially with the 7 round mags.

Mine seems to work fine including the 7 round mags, so I have no intention of replacing it....but for a new buyer, I'd think the G43 to be a safer purchase.

Mike C
08-28-2017, 03:17 PM
I have ran the following......

Speer Gold dot 124 +P
Federal HST 124, 147, and 147 +P
Remington Golden Sabers
Hornady Critical Defense
Some old Black Talons
Federal Hydra shoks

as well as FMJ loads....

WWB
Remington
American Eagle
Perfecta
Federal aluminum
etc.

I'm probably at the 1000 round mark with no stoppages (other than the aforementioned fat thumbs pushing the slide lock up during a magazine). Ejection is pretty uniform for a Glock with 4 o'clock piles to my right. Mine passes the "magazine less" single shot test with ease.

If I remember right, our range officer here at work said they issued out a little over one hundred of them and he saw no stoppages that weren't shooter related. He's a Sig fan and hates Glocks but even he was pleased with our recent G17/G43 rollout to replace our first gen M&Ps.

Forgot to mention I rock mine in a Galco belly band sometimes. It disappears underneath shorts and a tee shirt and is a comfortable companion on walks.

To add to lwt16's list I've ran the following: Speer Gold Dot standard pressure and +P 124gr, standard pressure 147gr, Federal HST in 124gr standard pressure, HST 147gr standard pressure and +P, Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr +P, and Corbon DPX 115gr +P all without issue. Factory ball has been Aguila 124gr and Winchester Nato 124gr stuff though I prefer my reloads as they mimic my carry load pretty closely. Literally zero stoppages in both my guns despite the variety of ammo, I clean them after use but it still boggles the mind that they run so well.

Mine seems to work fine including the 7 round mags, so I have no intention of replacing it....but for a new buyer, I'd think the G43 to be a safer purchase.

Couldn't agree more, I had several PM9's some ran like raped apes, other were absolute garbage. A G43 is a pretty safe bet I think, both of mine are just missing a Gadget and better sights.

Jared
08-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Mine is still impressing me for what it is. I replaced the sights with Dawson's. Once my holsters get here, the G43 will replace the j frame for most of what the j frame was ever used for, and maybe all of it, time will tell.

When I got mine, I went in thinking Shield or G43. 5 minutes of dry fire in the store sold me on the Glock, and the possibility of future Gadget availability was a major plus as well. I think it is possible that the G43 is the best of the single stack mini 9mms, and if it isn't, it's a solid choice.

FWIW, my father was impressed enough with mine that he bought a G43 as his first Glock

psalms144.1
08-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Mine seems to work fine including the 7 round mags, so I have no intention of replacing it....but for a new buyer, I'd think the G43 to be a safer purchase.I've heard all the complaints about the PM9, but I'm on my third or fourth right now, and none have given me any problems. But, you're correct, for the price of the PM9, if it doesn't work, it's a kick in the nuts.

On the flip side, the times I've reached out to Kahr for any kind of help, they've been prompt, courteous, and easy to work with. Most recently, after hearing they've released a new magazine catch and spring, I e-mailed them about it. Within 5 working days, I had both parts mailed to my door step, free of charge. They offered to send a label to ship the pistol in to have the parts installed, but anyone with a small screw driver can pull this job off...

Duces Tecum
08-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I don't know if a comparison to a G26 is fair. The 26 is a good primary gun if your unable to conceal a 19 sized gun, plus it can take full size mags.

That's how I employ my G-26. It's not a backup gun, it's a second primary.

The G-43 serves another purpose.

Trajan
08-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Mine was initially bought as a gym gun for use in a clip on holster from Dark Star Gear. It served this purpose well. Eventually the holster stopped concealing well for me (it was just an exact size holster with no claw) and I stopped carrying at the gym. Now I have the 19 length Hitchhiker for it and it's great again.

For me it's a gun now when I'm being lazy or can't print at all ever. It's so small that it's perfect. It's like a casual carry gun. I know timmies and gun guys are all "Gotta carry at least a 19, 2 reloads, a flash light, and an IFAK" but I'm not about that life. Most dangerous places I go it's a felony to carry, but that should be changing soon. Haven't experimented with carrying in those places yet, but I bet I could get away with it. Even then, there's cops with ARs and full rifle plates, so...

I still haven't gotten the TTI +2s. I tried Tom's when I got my Hitchhiker and I could conceal it well in a tight shirt. Made getting a grip faster. Currently I only have the flat base plates. My hand fits on it completely. Master grip is harder to get than the 17/34 or 19L.

Shooting at speed is difficult. I think it's a mental thing though. Both of my 43s (I've had 2 after someone ruined the frame attempting to stipple it) are very accurate. I have a Dawson black adjustable rear and .100 red fiber front.

I think it's a good gun if you're casual about carrying a gun and not worried about being tier 1 sheep dog or some other nonsense. If you're fat or wear really baggy clothes I don't see the point in owning one.

Nephrology
08-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Not to derail too much, but for those of you who have experience with the G43 and the Shield, what do you feel are the big pros/cons of each?

JHC
08-28-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't use my late model 43 as a primary often but for a tux or slim fitted suit, it's pretty righteous. Mine has THEE finest, cleanest trigger of any Glock I own now or ever owned. It weights 5 lbs on the nose at a third of the way up from the bottom tip of the trigger. If I find a Gen 5 17 or 34 someday with that trigger, I might get weak in the knees.

CanineCombatives
08-28-2017, 06:42 PM
For what it is, I dont think it has any peers, pearce grip plus 1's are as dependable as the factory mag with a one round gift, I like talon grips on mine
just to give it the feeling of a little extra girth in the hand, and ameriglo spartan tacticals give me a nice picture without the bulk of HD's.

I consider it a deep hideout pistol when clothing or circumstance wont allow anything else, and in that role like I said, peerless. I can get hits with the
43 that would be a pipe dream on anything else it's size.

Still, I would have liked to seen them go with an ever so slightly longer grip and just a millimeter or 2 more girth for an even ten rounds in a flat
baseplate factory mag, to me that would have been the perfect G43.

TC215
08-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Not to derail too much, but for those of you who have experience with the G43 and the Shield, what do you feel are the big pros/cons of each?

I've had both. Thought the Shield shot a little softer, but the Glock is noticeably smaller than the Shield, so I thought it would be better for ankle carry. This was during the time period that I thought I could replace my j-frame BUG with a semi-auto. Didn't work out, and I stuck with the j-frame. I sold my 43, but wouldn't mind to have another when I have some extra money to spend.

I did like the Shield, but I had an early one and put APEX trigger parts in it. The newer Shields have way better triggers, in my opinion.

Nephrology
08-28-2017, 07:26 PM
I've had both. Thought the Shield shot a little softer, but the Glock is noticeably smaller than the Shield, so I thought it would be better for ankle carry. This was during the time period that I thought I could replace my j-frame BUG with a semi-auto. Didn't work out, and I stuck with the j-frame. I sold my 43, but wouldn't mind to have another when I have some extra money to spend.

I did like the Shield, but I had an early one and put APEX trigger parts in it. The newer Shields have way better triggers, in my opinion.

Agreed. I have the Apex sears, but not the striker block or trigger springs. I might throw the USB on there to give it more of a rolling break...

I use the shield as my "invisible no matter what" beltline T shirt. as I type this I am wearing a white T shirt that is WAY tighter than the amazon description would suggest, and the shield is still invisible. Sounds like the G43 doesn't offer me much at this time. I have a S&W 442 for tiny light gun things.

CS Tactical
08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm about 600 rounds in so far and the one malfunction I had was with an inexperienced shooter on the very last round at the end of a semi-long shooting session, so I think he limp-wristed it. I like the gun and it shoots well for its size but don't love it as I rather carry my Gen 4 G19 100% of the time since it fits my hand better.

Beat Trash
08-28-2017, 11:45 PM

I'm "Complicated" because I can find positive things to discuss about both the Glock and the M&P.. I work for a major agency that was one of the first to adopt the M&P9 as an issued pistol. I'm issued and carry a M&P9 at work. Yet I carry a Glock 19 off duty. I've owned a Shield since they were first introduced. Currently own 3 of them. All have an Apex sear and Ameriglo Spartan sights. I carry a Shield as a BUG on my vest, under the uniform shirt. It works for my body size.

I bought a Glock 43 a few months after it was introduced. I have large hands with long fingers. My wife is a smaller person with little hands. My wife got her CCW permit about the time I bought the Glock 43.

The Glock 43 was too small for me to shoot as well as I would like when compared to the Shield. My wife is a Travel Nurse and goes on 13 week contracts, out of state. She spent some time shooting the Glock 43 and when she left, my Glock 43 must have got lost in her luggage, because it dissapeared.

I wrote off the Glock 43 as being a good pistol mechanically, but too small for my hands. Then I got a chance to dry fire and shoot my gun again, once my wife got back. I found if I wrap my fingers deeper around the grip with the front strap on my knuckles, then the gun stays put when I shoot it. I found I could shoot the Glock 43 as well as the Shield.

The Shield 9mm is an excellent pistol. So is the Glock 43. For me, neither is a primary carry gun. I am willing to live with the weight and discomfort of a Glock 19 on a regular basis. The G19 takes care of 90% of my off-duty needs. But for those times when I need to go smaller, the Shield works. But the Glock 43 works a bit better as it's smaller.

Pros/cons? I think you're splitting hairs. Shoot both, and buy the one that makes you grin more. It's similar to asking, "Coke vs. Pepsi".

GLB
08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
I have been very satisfied with the Glock 43. It serves a purpose for me when I can't carry a larger gun and is for me easy to shoot and it's accurate. It's funny to read comments about this little gun over the internet - "it doesn't have a light rail" "not enough capacity" "grip is too small" etc, so you want a Glock 19 instead. I get all of that, the G43 is not a G19 but it serves a purpose for some of us.

orionz06
08-29-2017, 12:31 PM

The Shield is a little more shootable to me, despite the trigger being a little more meh. I think the grip is just bigger enough.

Eli
08-29-2017, 12:51 PM
In all fairness, I've only got about 300 rounds through my 43. 100ish rounds of assorted ball ammo, 50 rounds of 147gr Hornady TAP and 150 rounds of 124gr HST. The HST is my carry load. It had one stovepipe with WWB, but other than that, has ran fine.

I originally picked it up to replace my J-Frames, on the rare occasion that I carry a back-up. I still prefer the "lumpiness", for lack of a better word, of the J over the 43. I have a 26 that pretty much just sits in the safe. I've never found a situation where I could conceal the 26, but NOT conceal a 19. Where the 43 shines for me however, is as an NPE gun. Carried in a (modified to ride as low as possible) DSG Clip holster, it works wonderfully in a pair of scrubs. It also works pretty well in a heavy duty Ziplock freezer bag, in the cargo pocket of my swim trunks while at the beach. Yes, it's slow getting it into action...but it's much faster than a blaster left in the cooler, or a carbine left back in the condo.

Mine wears a 10-8 rear and a Hi-Viz front. I've stippled the grip in a tree-bark pattern. Works fine with TTI extendos as well.

http://i.imgur.com/wMvDtFr.jpg

Bucky
08-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Regarding my 43. I, like many others was in search of a gun to replace the role of the J frame. That is, when a medium size gun can not be properly concealed, based on circumstance with either regard to clothing or situational requirements. Fortunately for me, that is usually on 5-10% of carry time.

My first attempt was a Kahr P9 Covert (before the PM9 was available). I never got comfortable with it, as it was only reliable with certain kinds of ammo. Next up was the XD-S. It was a little on the heavy / big side, but then again - .45 A ('mreica) C P. Alas, I had to ship that gun in for the recall (or as Sig would call it, an "upgrade"), and it was gone for quite some time. In the meanwhile, I picked up a Sig P938. This was the cats meow. Very light and compact. By the time the 43 came out, I felt no need to get one. I ran lots of ammo in the P938 and it ran well. Anyway, I friend of mine who happens to be very good at peer pressure, convinced me to get the 43. Shooting the 43 side by side with the P938, the 43 while only being a little bigger, shot like a much bigger gun. The only issue with it was that trigger blade would give cause pain and give me a blister. Replaced the trigger (shoe only, no internal mods) with an Apex trigger, and now it's simply a dream to shoot. I've even done some pretty accurate shooting with it out to 25 yards, despite having a near 8 lb trigger pull.

Long story short, my move to the 43 as my "deep concealment" gun was like the story of the three bears, with the 43 being just right.

Shortly after getting my 43, I picked up a Shield at what was at the time, a pretty good deal. Of course, now it seems they're giving them away, so the deal doesn't seem as good. For me, my 43 is for deeper concealment, which sometimes constitutes alternate carry, such as smart carry or pocket carry. The 43 is at the absolute max for me for pocket carry, and the Shield is just enough bigger that it doesn't fit that role. I can point you to a more in depth side by side comparison review I have done on this, if you are interested.

Nephrology
08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
I can point you to a more in depth side by side comparison review I have done on this, if you are interested.

I'd be very interested.

Bucky
08-29-2017, 05:21 PM
I'd be very interested.

PM sent.

Dismas316
08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Interesting thread. I'll admit when the 43 came out I had a chance to shoot it a couple different times and hated it. I had a 938 I used for suit/deep concealment and really was a good shooter but because of the size of hands had a terrible time with hitting the slide stop and locking back. Also had problems that caused me to send back to sig so I eventually sold it and got a shield.

The shield has been excellent to shoot very accurate with it but wouldn't mind something the size of the 43 to carry because as Bucky said, the size is just right for the times I'd carry it. Also have pretty much made the move to glock so would mind having a consistent platform across all my uses. I may have to give it another try.

Doc_Glock
08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
PM sent.

Please add to the thread. Mods don't care if it links to another forum. (I think?)

Clusterfrack
08-29-2017, 10:02 PM
I've had a G43 for a couple years and it's been an excellent gun. I don't have a huge round count (only around 500), but have had no issues. I'm impressed by how shootable it is for the size. As well, my tiny 21 year old daughter shot it well, and she's struggled with FTEs using a G4 Glock 19. I use Talon grip tape, and that helps a lot. I was able to find my favorite Ameriglo Operator Yellow/Green sights. I carry it AIWB in a Raven Morrigan holster with my homemade pillow-wedge. I use +1 and +2 Taran Tactical mag extensions.

Bottom line: when I can't carry a G19, I feel very good about carrying the G43. I'll probably buy a spare soon.

GuanoLoco
08-30-2017, 07:23 AM
I've ben very pleased with this extended mag base plate, conceals well with a claw holster. Fits my hand well. Doesn't shoot as well as a 19, conceals slightly better than a 19. Gives me far more confidence than a tiny 380.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/media/wysiwyg/mobile_banner/EMP_43_ver_1_mobile.jpg

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/pistol-accessories/glocktm/si-enhanced-magazine-plate-for-glock-43.html

I had a change to shoot the 43, Shield 9 and XD-s 9 side by side the other day. All 3 were hammering away at a 20+ yard steel silhouette with little difficulty and a fair rate of speed. I liked the out-of-the-box XD-s quite a bit, and better than the others, but probably not enough to add another manufactuere to my list (I/we have the 43, a safety-should and a safety-less shield) already. I was using the extended mag with the Glock and aftermarket flat black rear/fiber front sights - without this I think it would have been at a relative disadvantage.

octagon
08-30-2017, 09:11 AM
I've had my 43 for about 2 years. Recently sold my PM9 as it seems almost redundant even though it is a little smaller the role it played is handled better by the 43. I'll sell my CM9 and add another 43 sometime. No problems with my sample and stock other than connector. What I wouldn't give to have a slightly larger version ( maybe 8 or 9+1 and close to 4" barrel) but the same slim profile. Between the 43 and PM9/CM9 they have pretty much replaced the J frames role but I haven't considered getting rid of my non lock 442 or Scanadium 340PD 357. All are rarely carried so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Jaywalker
08-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Bought a new G43 yesterday, and a good part of that purchase was this thread. Trigger pull is pretty good - about six pounds, pretty nice. I've only dry-fired it so far, and the only thing I don't like is the Glock trigger tab and how it digs into my trigger finger pad.

Gun Mutt
09-01-2017, 04:06 PM
A slow dremel and a little emery cloth will correct the protruding tab. Has always confounded me that Glock doesn't give enough of a tinker's dam to make the tab fit flush with the face of the trigger.

Coal Train
09-02-2017, 05:37 AM
In my experience the advantage of the 43 is the weight of the pistol when it comes to carry. Dimensionally (height, length, width) I do not find the 43 conceals significantly better than my Glock 19.......meaning I can wear the same clothes with either pistol. The 43 is lighter so it is a bit more comfortable to carry.

I do not enjoy shooting the 43 and I have to be more focused to shoot it accurately compared to a Glock 19. The recoil is noticeable and with my larger sized hands I have a bit of difficulty getting a proper grip. The trigger on mine is smooth with a clean break but the break is heavy and the trigger tab does dig in to my finger. I also have to be conscious to keep my strong hand thumb away from the slide lock otherwise I will prematurely lock the slide back. I have the Taran Tactical +1 base plates on a few of my magazines and have had no reliability problems with the extensions. My particular example ejects like a lawn sprinkler. And I would like a Gadget for it.

Would I buy it again? I guess so. Would it be the last gun I sold? No, it would be one of the first to go. The lighter weight is nice but to really take advantage of that I need to find a way to carry it while exercising.

Depmur
09-02-2017, 11:04 AM
I have 2 G43's and think they serve a worthwhile purpose. My first was purchased as a BUG/Off Duty pistol. It's has served great in those roles for about 1.5 years now. The greatest benefit I see to the G43 is even those officers who don't want to carry off duty have an option that is extremely low profile. I carry 90% of the time in weak side pocket with a Galco, I think, pocket holster. I use the flat floor plate with the only mods being Ameriglo sights. The one I've had the longest has a little over 1K rounds the newer one less than 200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WobblyPossum
09-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Slightly off topic but this is the most recent G43 thread: My girlfriend checked out my G19 Gen 5 today and raved about the trigger. She wants to change her G43 trigger to be similar. Her G43 has a light take up with a gritty, heavy wall at the end while my G19 has more of a rolling break. The takeup is heavier and the wall is nowhere near as dramatic. What can I do to make the G43 trigger press more like that? I would prefer not to have to use aftermarket parts due to reliability/safety concerns so if there are some OEM parts I could swap on, that would be nice. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize drop safety like in the recent thread about ZEV parts.

PearTree
09-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Slightly off topic but this is the most recent G43 thread: My girlfriend checked out my G19 Gen 5 today and raved about the trigger. She wants to change her G43 trigger to be similar. Her G43 has a light take up with a gritty, heavy wall at the end while my G19 has more of a rolling break. The takeup is heavier and the wall is nowhere near as dramatic. What can I do to make the G43 trigger press more like that? I would prefer not to have to use aftermarket parts due to reliability/safety concerns so if there are some OEM parts I could swap on, that would be nice. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize drop safety like in the recent thread about ZEV parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDepending on what year your g43 is, Glock released a new connector that reduces the trigger weight and smoothes up the pull some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
09-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Depending on what year your g43 is, Glock released a new connector that reduces the trigger weight and smoothes up the pull some.

Her gun has an ACGP serial number. Would that have the updated connector?

Sigfan26
09-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Is there a "-" symbol on the back of the connector? If not, get one of the factory negative Connectors (I believe Part Number 33546?).

PearTree
09-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Her gun has an ACGP serial number. Would that have the updated connector?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm not sure, easiest thing would be to call glock and find out or Google the serial number to figure out the manufacture date.

Also check out this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26755, has a lot of info on new connector and other updates for the g43

WobblyPossum
09-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the link. I have my girlfriend Glock's phone number so she can call on Tuesday to find out if she has he updated parts.

WobblyPossum
09-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Is there a "-" symbol on the back of the connector? If not, get one of the factory negative Connectors (I believe Part Number 33546?).

Yes, the connector in the gun is a - connector already.

LockedBreech
09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
I don't especially like my G43 BETTER than the Walther PPS M1, now gifted to my mother, but the fact is that no matter how much I practiced, my hands never got competent with the paddle release.

My G43 is satisfactory so far.

Beat Trash
09-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Went shooting with my Glock 43 last week. First issue so far with erratic ejection. I was firing two handed at some steel plates when one casing went over my head, entered the neck of my shirt and the hot casing rolled down my back coming to final rest on my lower back at the belt line. Did I mention that the casing was a bit warm?

Nephrology
02-27-2018, 11:23 AM
I finally took the plunge and traded in my 2x Shields for $600 that I put immediately into a pair of G43s. The trigger on each pistol is very nice - almost even a little too light. Subjectively I'd put them at about 4.5lbs, very short and smooth.

Planning on a holster, sights, more mags, and range time. Any other recommendations? I will probably buy a couple TTI +1 and +2 base pads... any other aftermarket base pads to consider?

M2CattleCo
02-27-2018, 11:43 AM
I use the Pearce +0 pads on mine.

HeavyDuty
02-27-2018, 08:03 PM
I finally took the plunge and traded in my 2x Shields for $600 that I put immediately into a pair of G43s. The trigger on each pistol is very nice - almost even a little too light. Subjectively I'd put them at about 4.5lbs, very short and smooth.

Planning on a holster, sights, more mags, and range time. Any other recommendations? I will probably buy a couple TTI +1 and +2 base pads... any other aftermarket base pads to consider?

I found GeePlates are ideal for the 43.

Nephrology
02-27-2018, 10:36 PM
I found GeePlates are ideal for the 43.

Looks like they do not add to capacity... I am looking for reliable +1 and +2 extensions for CCW purposes.

Speaking of which.... New family:

https://i.imgur.com/QOv87MB.jpg?1

jandbj
02-27-2018, 11:38 PM
I've had good luck with TTI +1's, Pearce +1's & Vickers +2's for the past few years with mine. I've bought but have yet to try the geeplates for low profile +0 usage. I do love the predecessors on the G26.

LE Glock rep has had no issues with Vickers but has had problems with magguts & Pearce +1's occasionally failing to lock back on empty with his demo gun (being used by 100's of shooters per year). Some of that may be operator equipment mismatch too, but I acknowledge his gun has many more rounds down range than mine as well.

Cool Breeze
02-27-2018, 11:38 PM
Vickers tango down... They also come with longer spring. Love them. Lighter weight and much more affordable than TT.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Darth_Uno
02-28-2018, 12:05 AM
I carry a 43 20% of the time. That percentage keeps going up. Mine has Suarez sights and Suarez +2 extensions. Sights are fine (matter of preference) and the extensions have been 100% reliable with factory springs and Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ & Federal HST. Just sayin’ what works.

I want to hate it but...it just carries so well.

Totem Polar
02-28-2018, 12:12 AM
Looks like they do not add to capacity... I am looking for reliable +1 and +2 extensions for CCW purposes.

Looks good; congrats on the new kit!

Nephrology
03-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Looks good; congrats on the new kit!

thanks! I am taking the pair out to the range for the first time on Sunday...Picked up a handful of TTI +1 and +2 extensions and some extra OEM mags and threw a pair of Ameriglo UC sights onto each (had a new-ish extra pair hanging out in my tool box, as it turns out). Looking forward to shooting them !

Nephrology
03-11-2018, 06:31 PM
So i took my 2x G43s to the range today. Guns were stock minus sights and Taran Tactical Innovation +1 & +2 baseplates. I put approx 75 147gr Remington Golden Sabers and 50 147gr Federal HSTs through the pair total.

I had 3x failures to feed in my FDE, USA made G43 when using either +1 (1 failure ) or +2 (2 failures) TTI baseplates and 147gr carry ammo. I had 0 failures with the same combo in the black, Austrian made G43. I had 0 failures with Glock OEM baseplates.

Small # of total rounds, but disappointed os far in the TTI product, especially as I have an order for more en route. Any thoughts? At present I would not be comfortable carrying this gun with TTI mags and am tempted to send all of the baseplates back for a full refund unless this is the fault of the gun somehow, which so far I have no reason to believe.

TQP
03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
I have this same issue with an ETS mag I bought for mine. Once, in the first hundred rounds, it locked open with the last round still in the mag.It hasn't happened with my any of the OEM mags, with approximately 200 rounds through the 4 of them. I really want an extension or extended mag fro my reload-I'm carrying one of the pinky rest ones as the reload now, because the stock mag doesn't give me much to grab on to. I know VDM has had good luck with the ETSs, so I'm willing to blame me or the gun-but I'm going to want at least another hundred or three rounds through that mag before I trust it 100%.

Nephrology
03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
I have this same issue with an ETS mag I bought for mine. Once, in the first hundred rounds, it locked open with the last round still in the mag.It hasn't happened with my any of the OEM mags, with approximately 200 rounds through the 4 of them. I really want an extension or extended mag fro my reload-I'm carrying one of the pinky rest ones as the reload now, because the stock mag doesn't give me much to grab on to. I know VDM has had good luck with the ETSs, so I'm willing to blame me or the gun-but I'm going to want at least another hundred or three rounds through that mag before I trust it 100%.

In my case it isn't premature lockback so much as a failure to strip the last 1-2 rounds from the mag; my guess is delayed presentation due to the the weight of the 147grs.

Only other explanation I can think of is that I used a C-lamp to apply presure to the mag bodies to remove/install the BPs. I don't think I permanently warped them - visibly they look fine - but I guess swapping back to the OEM baseplates and shooting some more is the only way to find out.

Doc_Glock
03-11-2018, 11:48 PM
In my case it isn't premature lockback so much as a failure to strip the last 1-2 rounds from the mag; my guess is delayed presentation due to the the weight of the 147grs.

Only other explanation I can think of is that I used a C-lamp to apply presure to the mag bodies to remove/install the BPs. I don't think I permanently warped them - visibly they look fine - but I guess swapping back to the OEM baseplates and shooting some more is the only way to find out.

You know better than to mess with Perfection:). Take the six Glock gives you reliably stock and forget the extensions.

tanner
03-12-2018, 08:13 AM
I ended up sending my G43 on down the road, but I noticed that it functioned much better with 124 grain HSTs than it did the 147s. As in, once I switched over, it stopped malfunctioning altogether. Standard pressure 124 HSTs. I was using the TTI +2 extensions with their springs.

Nephrology
03-12-2018, 12:43 PM
You know better than to mess with Perfection:). Take the six Glock gives you reliably stock and forget the extensions.

I'm going to trial some Vickers extensions because the'yre cheap, but I am going to return the TTI products and otherwise follow his advice

JAD
03-12-2018, 01:22 PM
I ended up sending my G43 on down the road, but I noticed that it functioned much better with 124 grain HSTs than it did the 147s. As in, once I switched over, it stopped malfunctioning altogether. Standard pressure 124 HSTs. I was using the TTI +2 extensions with their springs.
I don't know about HSTs, but standard pressure 124 gold dots do not expand in 4LD when shot from a 43.

HeavyDuty
03-12-2018, 01:46 PM
I don't know about HSTs, but standard pressure 124 gold dots do not expand in 4LD when shot from a 43.

That’s why I stick with the short barrel 124 +P Gold Dots for my 43. I’ll be carrying the same in my new 26.

Nephrology
03-13-2018, 08:50 AM
I prefer to carry std pressure 147gr ammo - seems to work well enough in short barreled handguns and certainly has no issues out of larger pistols either. Hence why I won't try to compromise with the TTI pads over my carry ammo... I prefer to buy it sporadically and in large quantities.

JHC
03-13-2018, 02:47 PM
I prefer to carry std pressure 147gr ammo - seems to work well enough in short barreled handguns and certainly has no issues out of larger pistols either. Hence why I won't try to compromise with the TTI pads over my carry ammo... I prefer to buy it sporadically and in large quantities.

I'm only shooting and carrying standard pressure loads in the 43 also. I'm not interested in pushing the reliability envelope for the small gun.

VT1032
03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the G43. It eats my hand and I don't shoot it as well as a shield or a G26. I've had two prior G43's and sold them both, quickly. I swore I'd never buy another. Then someone offered me a basically new in box one with night sights for $300. I've got to say, on round 3, it's growing on me. I still don't shoot it as well as the shield it replaced (which I swore I'd never sell), but it does two things the shield would not: pocket carry and ankle carrry. I had a come to jesus with myself around that time and came to the conclusion that if I was doing IWB, it was going to be a G19. Smaller guns were for bugs or deep concealment, which is somethin I actually need on a regular basis. I had originally picked a Ruger LCP II for that tiny gun role, but it just didn't run. This does and provides quite a bit more firepower in a package, that when you put them side by side, is not much bigger.

In this context, the G43 makes a ton of sense to me. It's a little big for pocket carry, but pocket dependant, it can work. It actually works pretty well as an ankle gun unless the pants are pretty tight. Have a common trigger is also something I appreciate. Overall, it's really growing on me.

tanner
03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
I'm only shooting and carrying standard pressure loads in the 43 also. I'm not interested in pushing the reliability envelope for the small gun.

This was why I changed to the standard pressure 124s. I was more concerned about reliability than expansion.

Nephrology
03-13-2018, 05:14 PM
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the G43. It eats my hand and I don't shoot it as well as a shield or a G26. I've had two prior G43's and sold them both, quickly. I swore I'd never buy another. Then someone offered me a basically new in box one with night sights for $300. I've got to say, on round 3, it's growing on me. I still don't shoot it as well as the shield it replaced (which I swore I'd never sell), but it does two things the shield would not: pocket carry and ankle carrry. I had a come to jesus with myself around that time and came to the conclusion that if I was doing IWB, it was going to be a G19. Smaller guns were for bugs or deep concealment, which is somethin I actually need on a regular basis. I had originally picked a Ruger LCP II for that tiny gun role, but it just didn't run. This does and provides quite a bit more firepower in a package, that when you put them side by side, is not much bigger.

In this context, the G43 makes a ton of sense to me. It's a little big for pocket carry, but pocket dependant, it can work. It actually works pretty well as an ankle gun unless the pants are pretty tight. Have a common trigger is also something I appreciate. Overall, it's really growing on me.

I find my pair shoot fairly well. Certainly a handful compared to a G26 but I found mine comfortable to shoot accurately at 10 and 20 yards. The recoil with 147gr carry ammo was definltely stout but not painful. Probably not a gun I will put tens of thousands of rounds through but I found it enjoyable to shoot, particularly with the extended magazines and 115gr FMJ target ammo.

VT1032
03-13-2018, 08:06 PM
I find my pair shoot fairly well. Certainly a handful compared to a G26 but I found mine comfortable to shoot accurately at 10 and 20 yards. The recoil with 147gr carry ammo was definltely stout but not painful. Probably not a gun I will put tens of thousands of rounds through but I found it enjoyable to shoot, particularly with the extended magazines and 115gr FMJ target ammo.

I think it depends a lot on hand size. I have pretty large hands and I just have trouble getting a solid grip on it. Conversely, my very petite wife can barely hang on to a G19, but shoots a G43 pretty well. I've been strongly tempted to get her a G42 for that reason alone. I actually ran it through a fairly high round count class and it wasn't bad once I put some tape on the web of my hand. I wasn't kidding when I say it eats my hand. I'm not talking slide bite, I'm talking chunks missing. I have a scar from it. Needless to say it was a bit flinch inducing... The shield, conversely was just big enough to fit and I didn't have the slide bite problem, but it was also just big enough to not work for what I needed it to do.

CanineCombatives
03-13-2018, 08:10 PM
I've kept it real simple, talon grips, ameriglo spartan sights and pearce plus 1 floorplates, I've grown to really trust it.
I'm gonna take a hard look at the 365 when I can grab one, but it will be a zero tolerance thing for me, if it cant run (and hit) like my 43
the extra 3 rounds wont mean much.

Trukinjp13
03-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Bought another g43. Missed my old one. Bought this one od green, very good price! Shot her today. 100 rounds of 147 grn federal and 50 rounds 147 hst. Ran perfect, and trigger feels great.

Excited for my mini agent sights and talons to get hear!

This gun just shoots awesome for me. 7 yards out to 15 yards with shitty Glock sights.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/2b54ad60df95dbe2f00f592ab4f26d21.jpg

First 12 rounds out of the box @ 7 yards.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/dd61645a110c30e7b180393bc1751af6.jpg

This at around 12 yards.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/f410f58ab14fb909aa0c45c17f3654a3.jpg

Trukinjp13
03-18-2018, 08:11 PM
New tap a talk download sucks. Or I am an idiot. Really could be the latter. Trying to figure out how to edit post...anywhoot.

Wanted to say I ordered a gadget for her also. So that will be nice!

TCFD273
03-19-2018, 07:49 AM
So i took my 2x G43s to the range today. Guns were stock minus sights and Taran Tactical Innovation +1 & +2 baseplates. I put approx 75 147gr Remington Golden Sabers and 50 147gr Federal HSTs through the pair total.

I had 3x failures to feed in my FDE, USA made G43 when using either +1 (1 failure ) or +2 (2 failures) TTI baseplates and 147gr carry ammo. I had 0 failures with the same combo in the black, Austrian made G43. I had 0 failures with Glock OEM baseplates.

Small # of total rounds, but disappointed os far in the TTI product, especially as I have an order for more en route. Any thoughts? At present I would not be comfortable carrying this gun with TTI mags and am tempted to send all of the baseplates back for a full refund unless this is the fault of the gun somehow, which so far I have no reason to believe.

I run the TTI plus 1, and have several Vickers +2. The key to the +2 is the extra power spring. I have never had a malfunction in a year of shooting my G43 with this set up.

Trukinjp13
03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Tap your post and then select Edit from the popup menu.

Sorry for mini thread derail. But this is what comes up when I tap the post.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/aafb74b178412947246357cfd44da2aa.jpg

For pertinent info. I tangodown +2 baseplates. Going to try them out. Had good luck with tti+1 in previous gun. But these are way cheaper.

WobblyPossum
03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Sorry for mini thread derail. But this is what comes up when I tap the post.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/aafb74b178412947246357cfd44da2aa.jpg

For pertinent info. I tangodown +2 baseplates. Going to try them out. Had good luck with tti+1 in previous gun. But these are way cheaper.

I think the forum only allows you to edit a post up to an hour after posting.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Trukinjp13
03-19-2018, 09:05 AM
That's what comes up now. The edit window is one 1 hour long. Try it on your most recent post.

Yup. I am an idiot. Thank you guys! That makes sense now.

Trukinjp13
04-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Ran some more ammo through her today. Post talons, agent sights and gadget. Even better with the mini agent sights and talons. Gadget does what the gadget is supposed to.

Tried out the tangodown +2. No failures but a couple times it was hard to rack the slide to chamber the first round. Hoping if they are left loaded it might soften em up a bit. So no carrying with these for awhile. Still waiting on a couple more mags also.

Using a rcs morrigan for iwb. Have it setup at max cant works well enough. Also bought the stealth gear elastic belt loop thinga ma bobbers. Works well to strap on a spare g43 mag.

The one target pic was about 7 yards with new setup. Sights really make this gun that much easier to shoot.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/65e698d0e3c86f354441c9447c3d85fe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/2742acd96d7b56bb8bed65d6e749a66e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/7deb0739cc044db8d8c492ec681c6fb5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/c59ffa67b560d61437aaaa339971bfb6.jpg

Clusterfrack
04-02-2018, 01:29 PM
I've retired my Taran +2 mag extension. I recently had some jams from slide lock with SNS 147gr reloads (which work fine with OEM mags). This suggests that the extension is changing something besides capacity. I should note that these were the first issues I've had with this mag, or with the gun. In all likelihood, my carry ammo would be ok, but for me, reliability trumps capacity. When I carry my 43, I'm using only OEM mags.

CanineCombatives
04-02-2018, 02:04 PM
The Pearce plus 1’s are every bit as reliable as the stock floorplates.

Cool Breeze
04-02-2018, 02:11 PM
I've retired my Taran +2 mag extension. I recently had some jams from slide lock with SNS 147gr reloads (which work fine with OEM mags). This suggests that the extension is changing something besides capacity. I should note that these were the first issues I've had with this mag, or with the gun. In all likelihood, my carry ammo would be ok, but for me, reliability trumps capacity. When I carry my 43, I'm using only OEM mags.Were you using the stock springs that came in the original mag or the updated longer ones?

Clusterfrack
04-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Were you using the stock springs that came in the original mag or the updated longer ones?

I used the special Taran spring that came with the mag extension. I bought this a couple years ago. Are there updated springs?

M2CattleCo
04-02-2018, 06:06 PM
The more rounds you stack, the more the top round nosedives. It's just life with a single stack tapered cartridge like the 9mm.

Cool Breeze
04-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I used the special Taran spring that came with the mag extension. I bought this a couple years ago. Are there updated springs?My vickers ones came with a longer spring. IIRC the TTs didn't originally come with a spring but then they did after some reports of malfunctions. If you already have the spring, I got nothing. Sorry.

CS Tactical
04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
I decided to keep my G43 (for now), buy a gadget and try adding Talon grips.

Trukinjp13
04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I decided to keep my G43 (for now), buy a gadget and try adding Talon grips.

It works. The granulate talons are serious business. I had the rubberized ones on a few guns. The rubber is definitely better for iwb. But man, these granulated just glue the gun to your hand.

What sights do you have on her? My first was ameriglo black rear/pro glo front. This one has mini agents from brownells. These sights are awesome for this gun. I have really warmed up to them after my first encounter with them.

CS Tactical
04-02-2018, 07:18 PM
It works. The granulate talons are serious business. I had the rubberized ones on a few guns. The rubber is definitely better for iwb. But man, these granulated just glue the gun to your hand.

What sights do you have on her? My first was ameriglo black rear/pro glo front. This one has mini agents from brownells. These sights are awesome for this gun. I have really warmed up to them after my first encounter with them.

I have Trijicon (Shirt Shreading) HD's, I'll check out the Mini Agents if they come in orange. Thanks!

30-30
04-02-2018, 07:52 PM
meh...!

Trukinjp13
04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
I have Trijicon (Shirt Shreading) HD's, I'll check out the Mini Agents if they come in orange. Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180403/7f50e54d83fd74120362d37c5aab0fd4.jpg

[emoji41]

Clusterfrack
04-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Ameriglo Operators. Just saying.

GJM
04-02-2018, 10:21 PM
On my 42 and 43, I have a few Ameriglo sight sets, but all have the rear sight fully contained in the dovetail, rather than extending to the rear edge of the slide. That makes a big difference.

Gun Mutt
04-03-2018, 07:51 AM
My sincere advice is not to buy a 43 lest you run the risk of carrying it all too often over your larger Glocks...I mean, um, at least that's what happened to a friend. Undercut trigger guard, Talon rubber grips, TT+1 and Ameriglo Spaulding rear with Hackathorn front.

I find that with my size L hands (with XL thumbs 'cause I'm part monkey), that the Pearce +1 and OEM pinky extension mags let me apply pressure in a wrongful manner that opens up my groups. OEM flat or TT+1 is my primary, Vickers+2 for spare, my sole malf in the last 2yrs was with an OEM and that dirty ass Winchester aluminum scrub ammo that I bought in a hurry.

ETA: A bit of skateboard tape on front of the TT makes a huge difference. I started with a small strip that went around the sides as well, but it caused my finger to drag during the draw and hampered my initial grip.

*WTactualF with my pics on every site these days?? No amount of editing seems to get them to post right side up, when it does, its just a happy accident.:confused:

Greg
04-03-2018, 08:47 AM
I stopped tracking rounds fired out of mine after 8000 or something but it has been a solid pistol.
+1 basepads from TTI or Pearce have been used for 7500 or so of those rounds without issue.

It is tiny, that diminishes my desire to shoot it much, but I regard the itty-bitty 9mm role filled.
I carry 124 std. pressure HSTs in mine which have proven to be reliable and accurate.

Wayne Dobbs
04-03-2018, 09:14 AM
I've found mine to be a great little hot weather or suit occasion pistol. It's stone reliable and stunningly accurate. I run a drill with it that I call my Church Drill (because I think there's an excellent chance an active shooter at church may present a distant problem). Start from a real low ready on the Bianchi plate rack (8" plates) at 25 yards with a one second par time. I typically go 12 or 13 for 15 on this one and it confirms the little gun can shoot!

CS Tactical
04-03-2018, 12:06 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180403/7f50e54d83fd74120362d37c5aab0fd4.jpg

[emoji41]

I like it! :cool:

theblacknight
04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
I'm trying out the gadget on my 43.

This gun is a BUG/ concealed gat when I need to/want to. CAP's up top, a TTI+3 mag, a +1 mag, and a ETS 7 round flush(yes, I tested it's function) sitting in a Dark Star holster when not at work.

JHC
04-03-2018, 02:30 PM
I've found mine to be a great little hot weather or suit occasion pistol. It's stone reliable and stunningly accurate. I run a drill with it that I call my Church Drill (because I think there's an excellent chance an active shooter at church may present a distant problem). Start from a real low ready on the Bianchi plate rack (8" plates) at 25 yards with a one second par time. I typically go 12 or 13 for 15 on this one and it confirms the little gun can shoot!

Oh hell yeah. I can't run it that fast though. But that is big fun. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/29518401273/in/dateposted-public/

GJM
04-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Isn’t Bianchi time 9 seconds for six plates at 25 — you need to see if there is a G43 division there!

I find the 42/43 triggers to be quite clean for a Glock, and both models to shoot more accurately than most other pistols their size.

Doc_Glock
04-03-2018, 09:57 PM
I have cleaned Dot Torture @ 5 yards more with a G43 than any other pistol. Can’t explain it but there it is. It’s a great little gun.

JHC
04-04-2018, 06:52 AM
I have cleaned Dot Torture @ 5 yards more with a G43 than any other pistol. Can’t explain it but there it is. It’s a great little gun.

Mine is the best and cleanest breaking Glock trigger I've ever had. Stock.

Jaywalker
04-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Mine is the best and cleanest breaking Glock trigger I've ever had. Stock. Mine is, too. It doesn't need the improvements I sometimes pine for on other Glocks.

Cool Breeze
04-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Mine is, too. It doesn't need the improvements I sometimes pine for on other Glocks.I agree as well with the trigger. That being said, I just went to cabelas and handled the Sig P365 for the first time. It is a very small gun and has a very short and light trigger. I was really surprised and would not want that for a carry gun as I find the G43 trigger perfect. Both guns are not very hand filling and I had a hard time finding a spot for my support hand. The shield is considerably better in this respect for me. I have added a Hogue grip to the 43 and the gun seems perfect for me.

Chuck Haggard
04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
I recently added Ameriglo sights to mine, even though I've had it about a year, and today added a Gadget. I carry mine is either a Dark Star Gear or Keepers holster.

Trukinjp13
04-04-2018, 08:29 PM
I agree as well with the trigger. That being said, I just went to cabelas and handled the Sig P365 for the first time. It is a very small gun and has a very short and light trigger. I was really surprised and would not want that for a carry gun as I find the G43 trigger perfect. Both guns are not very hand filling and I had a hard time finding a spot for my support hand. The shield is considerably better in this respect for me. I have added a Hogue grip to the 43 and the gun seems perfect for me.

I have the opposite reaction as far as hand fitment. The shield was hard for me to get a good consistent grip on it. The tiny flat grip just does not work for me. The g43 where the hump is sits right in the palm of my hand. So I luckily get a great grip with it.

I agree on the trigger. It feels great and breaks at just the right weight.

CS Tactical
04-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Ok I'm sticking with the G43 so I added the Gadget, have Talon grips on the way and will have the trigger guard undercut :)

Drew78
04-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a good setup! Below is my everyday setup, and it works quite well for me. Not sure about the color of those Talon grips but I didn't realize that I ordered that color, I will say however if they work exceptionally well. Undercut the trigger guard myself, stippled the frame, added ameriglo hackathorn sights, and the talons. If I'm awake with pants on it's riding aiwb in either a dark star Gear holster or a JM custom kydex rig.

I really had to wrestle to get that picture in this thread, not sure how to rotate it but you get the point...

Trukinjp13
04-06-2018, 04:45 PM
I undercut my g19.5. And really loved the results. Did not even think about the g43.

Drew78
04-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Took the 43 to the range today.... Did ok, for my skill level.

5 round groups on each Target

LockedBreech
04-20-2018, 07:10 PM
I was playing around with my 43 today and I have to confess I miss my Walther PPS M1. My 43 is lighter, smaller, has more sensible magazines, and has sights that match my full-size Glocks, so I don't regret the switch, but I definitely LIKED my PPS better.

My 43 does not get my affections going. It's not a comfortable gun for me to shoot or hold. Like my LCP or a J-Frame, it's not a gun I love, but it's a gun I respect for good performance in its niche. I don't see myself changing my EDC in the foreseeable future. Here's to you, G43, you strange necessary evil.

THellURider
04-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Haven't read the whole thread end to end, but I will. That said, I wanted to post my thoughts on the G43.

I very much like the G43 and carry it more than anything else. Currently using a DSG Arms AIWB holster that I got when I added a TLR-6 to it. I'm currently waiting on a Dark Star Gear AIWB for it and will take the TLR-6 off.

I added:

- Ameriglo Spartan Sights
- Talon Grips
- TTI +2's on my primary mags, and +1's on my secondaries
- The Gadget

What I love about the G43:

I can conceal carry a G19 regularly. However, it's simply so much weight in one spot. I found that I rarely carried a spare mag when carrying the 19. The G43 spreads the weight, and nearly identical round count of the 19 out across my front (Carrying the 43 on the right side of my front with the +2 and a spare mag on the left front appendix with +2s). This is SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable for me. This still gives me 17 rounds between 2 mags which for my AO should be PLENTY for most scenarios where I might need a firearm.

It's a VERY accurate pistol when I do my part.

The bad:

Controllability is tough. The Talon Grips help significantly with that.

It's a tough gun to shoot well consistently in a range session. I have to be really on top of my game to shoot it consistently well. It will immediately show me anytime I'm slacking. I got my fiance one and set it up identical to mine; I sometimes wonder if that was really the best choice for the inexperienced shooter but she has too small of hands to like the G19, for example. I'm contemplating trying to shoot the 43 exclusively for a few months and see if I can up my consistency with it - switching to a larger frame at that point should seem easy.

JCS
10-16-2018, 08:20 PM
What’s everyone running for sd ammo in their glock 43? Are the 124 hst too light for the short barrel?

Jason M
10-16-2018, 08:55 PM
HST 147gr

Nephrology
10-17-2018, 08:36 AM
HST 147gr

Same - in all my 9mms

GuanoLoco
10-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Cross-Post on my rarely carried G43 rig (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24023-Striving-to-Suck-Less&p=799867&viewfull=1#post799867)

JAD
10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
What’s everyone running for sd ammo in their glock 43? Are the 124 hst too light for the short barrel?

I don't know from HST but standard pressure 124 gold dots don't expand. I run 147s, GDs or HSTs.

MK11
10-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Kyle Defoor has a post (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4aAXOAsvH/?utm_source=ig_tumblr_share&igshid=17oildq9zfqqg) saying that in his experience, the Glock 43 is very hit or miss with reliability.

TCFD273
10-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Kyle Defoor has a post (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4aAXOAsvH/?utm_source=ig_tumblr_share&igshid=17oildq9zfqqg) saying that in his experience, the Glock 43 is very hit or miss with reliability.

I believe he was saying with magazine extensions.

MK11
10-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Possibly but I read it as problems with 1) extensions and 2) hollow points not "extensions with hollow points."

psalms144.1
10-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Timely topic, as I sold my G43 off today. After working with it for over a year, I simply could not shoot it ANYWHERE near as well as my G26, which holds quite a few more rounds, and feeds off my "primary" G17/G19 magazines.

Not saying it's not a good little gun, it's just not "gooder" enough to make it a better choice over the more capable G26.

TCFD273
10-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Possibly but I read it as problems with 1) extensions and 2) hollow points not "extensions with hollow points."

I’ve had 3 G43’s, still have 2, sold one to a buddy.

All were reliable with TT +1 basepads and Vickers +2 w/xtra power springs and 147 HST.

Doc_Glock
10-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Timely topic, as I sold my G43 off today. After working with it for over a year, I simply could not shoot it ANYWHERE near as well as my G26, which holds quite a few more rounds, and feeds off my "primary" G17/G19 magazines.

Not saying it's not a good little gun, it's just not "gooder" enough to make it a better choice over the more capable G26.

The 26 with its ammo load is just enough heavier that is sucks to run with though.

psalms144.1
10-17-2018, 05:25 PM
The 26 with its ammo load is just enough heavier that is sucks to run with though.If I had a photo of myself in my Avatar, you'd see that's not much of a concern for me... ;) I can still bang out 45 minutes or an hour on the elliptical, but my joints won't take the pounding of running anymore. Even when I did routinely run, used to do that with a G26 in a tightly strapped fanny pack without too much issue.

LSP552
10-17-2018, 06:06 PM

I traded mine to LSP972 for a 19.4. Mine was reliable but was very unpleasant to my XL long fingers, even with Talon grips.

For me, the SIG 365 runs circles around the G43 and would be what I’d do if looking for a gun that size. I’m wearing a G26 at the moment.......

JCS
10-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Ordered some 147 hst. It’s run reliably with the 124s. I’m currently running a tti +1 base pad and have had zero malfunctions while running it. The vickers +2 have been a different story. They wouldn’t reliably feed some of my reloads. I recently picked up some ets mags on the cheap to run for range mags. I also picked up some tti+3s off a member here but haven’t been able to test them out.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Kyles posts on the 43 and the tti are one of the reasons I’ve given it a try. I replaced a 26 with the 43. There’s no doubt it doesn’t shoot as well but for me it conceals significantly better. I’ve consolidated my pistols down to a 19, 43 and a j frame.

JCS
10-17-2018, 07:15 PM
I traded mine to LSP972 for a 19.4. Mine was reliable but was very unpleasant to my XL long fingers, even with Talon grips.

For me, the SIG 365 runs circles around the G43 and would be what I’d do if looking for a gun that size. I’m wearing a G26 at the moment.......

Curious why you prefer the 365 so much? The scd has spoiled me and I don’t think I could go with a striker gun without one.

LSP552
10-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Curious why you prefer the 365 so much? The scd has spoiled me and I don’t think I could go with a striker gun without one.

A lot for me has to do with fit and shootability. I’ve made a couple of posts after shooting my buddy”s 365 in the ongoing 365 thread. The 43 was actually painful after 50 rds. Every range trip ended with a blister on my trigger finger. I’ve been able to shoot 200+ in a single outing with the 365. I also shot the 365 MUCH better than my 43.

The lack of recoil in the 365 has to be shot to believe. I only hope that SIG has squared them away. I know a few people from my old place that have them and they are running fine. I have held off buying mine, but probably not much longer.

I also know a lot of people very happy with their 43s. Talon grips were a big help for me but weren’t enough to make me keep it.

I have long skinny fingers and wear an XL glove.

DpdG
10-17-2018, 09:51 PM
What sights are popular for the 43? I just put the G42/43 specific Agents on and I love the .125 width, but I’m getting about 2” low at 10y with 147 AE/HST. I think I heard this sight combo comes with a .195H front, so assuming a .180 is in order.

Considering She Who Must Be Obeyed is taking the gun to the qual course in the morning, I think a duplicate is soon to come. Anyone know an easy way to get a Bold or Agent rear with a .125X.180 front? I did custom through Ameriglo direct and the customer service/speed of delivery was... less than ideal.

Along similar lines- do I need a 42/43 specific rear sight, or are they interchangeable with 17/19/etc sights?

MDFA
10-17-2018, 10:22 PM

I have 3 of the Vickers + 2 mag plates. I like the feel and have no issues with concealment in AIWB carry. I use a factory flush base if I want to pocket carry my 43.

Bucky
10-18-2018, 04:32 AM
A lot for me has to do with fit and shootability. I’ve made a couple of posts after shooting my buddy”s 365 in the ongoing 365 thread. The 43 was actually painful after 50 rds. Every range trip ended with a blister on my trigger finger. I’ve been able to shoot 200+ in a single outing with the 365. I also shot the 365 MUCH better than my 43.

-snip-

I have long skinny fingers and wear an XL glove.

The physical triggers on the 43 are torture devices. I have medium hands, and not long fingers, and the same happened to me. I replaced the trigger component with an Apex unit and I’ve gone as much as 300 rounds in an outing without discomfort.

HeavyDuty
10-18-2018, 06:25 AM
Most Glocks will rub my trigger finger raw until I contour the trigger safety lever.

Nephrology
10-18-2018, 08:28 AM
What sights are popular for the 43? I just put the G42/43 specific Agents on and I love the .125 width, but I’m getting about 2” low at 10y with 147 AE/HST. I think I heard this sight combo comes with a .195H front, so assuming a .180 is in order.

Considering She Who Must Be Obeyed is taking the gun to the qual course in the morning, I think a duplicate is soon to come. Anyone know an easy way to get a Bold or Agent rear with a .125X.180 front? I did custom through Ameriglo direct and the customer service/speed of delivery was... less than ideal.

Along similar lines- do I need a 42/43 specific rear sight, or are they interchangeable with 17/19/etc sights?

I like the Ameriglo I-dot Pros. Rear sight is just far enough from the edge of the rear sight that it doesn't poke me or eat my T-shirts.

Looks like the green version is on sale (https://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-Tritium-I-Dot-Green-Outline/dp/B015GYQ40O/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539869082&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=pro+idot+glock+43) right now.

GJM
10-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Light J frames with full power ammo are not fun to shoot, but are still quite useful. While I don’t find the 43 to be uncomfortable to shoot, I treat it like a J frame that holds more cartridges, has better sights, is faster to reload and mimics the larger Glock pistols I shoot. If I was carrying something else than a larger Glock, I would be open to a Kahr, PPS or 365.

M2CattleCo
10-18-2018, 11:26 AM
My thoughts as well.

My G43 replaved a 442-2.

I think it does everything the 442 did, but better.

LSP552
10-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Light J frames with full power ammo are not fun to shoot, but are still quite useful. While I don’t find the 43 to be uncomfortable to shoot, I treat it like a J frame that holds more cartridges, has better sights, is faster to reload and mimics the larger Glock pistols I shoot. If I was carrying something else than a larger Glock, I would be open to a Kahr, PPS or 365.

I’d agree for those that carry the 43 in a pocket, it would be a better performing J-Frame. I found the 43 too big for my pockets or ankle, making it a belt gun. I’ve had 0 occasions where I think I could have carried a 43 and not a 26. The G42 is my better J-Frame because it actually fits in my pockets.

Joe Mac
10-18-2018, 03:57 PM
My thoughts as well.

My G43 replaved a 442-2.

I think it does everything the 442 did, but better.

Yep, this.. I own two G43s; they've been very reliable and have replaced J-frames in my life, after a 20+ year committed relationship with J-frames.

The G43 carries about as easily as a J, while being a far more potent fighting handgun. Comparison with larger 9mm Glocks is missing the point, in my opinion, but if we are to do so, the G43's ease of making good hits at speed/distance is much closer to its larger 9mm siblings than to a J-frame.

Joe Mac
10-18-2018, 04:02 PM
I’d agree for those that carry the 43 in a pocket, it would be a better performing J-Frame. I found the 43 too big for my pockets or ankle, making it a belt gun. I’ve had 0 occasions where I think I could have carried a 43 and not a 26. The G42 is my better J-Frame because it actually fits in my pockets.

I have a squatter's ass and like my pants loose, so the G43 works for me in a pocket holster. :) It's very rare that it sees a belt holster -- generally only if I've flown out on vacation, and it's the only pistol I've brought with me. For everyday use, I agree: if it's on my hip it's going to be a G26 or larger.

Edster
03-07-2019, 12:15 PM
After a few years of stubbornly sticking to a j frame for deep concealment, I gave in this week and bought a 43.

My initial impression is the 43 may be slightly harder to hide in some ways than a 642. Pocket carry is possible but the flat blocky line is a bit more printy. The rear of the slide doesn't seem to hang up quite as badly as I feared. To be fair, the shape of the j frame is just so perfectly slick right out of a pocket, it really does it perfectly.

Belly band/tucked is about the same between the two. For my build, either gun tucked on the hip looks like I desperately need orthopedic hip surgery. Appendix is slightly less weird but I want a striker control device on the 43 before I go there.

The biggest change is, even with stock sights, my hits with the 43 are much better. I know the j frame is more of a gun for "get off me" distance but being able to get full-size hits out of compact is very nice.

Kind of a "hmmm" moment, though:

I normally use 124 grain +p Gold Dot for carry and 124 grain Speer Lawman for range. With my 19 and 17, POI/POA with these is the about the same.

For the 43 off a bag, the Gold Dots hit close to zero with stock sights. The Lawman, though, centers about 3" high at 25 yards and has a 6" vertical spread. Before I order a front sight, I'm going to experiment with 115 grain range ammo, 124 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel, and 147 grain Gold Dot to see if I can get some consistency between practice and carry ammunition.

OlongJohnson
03-07-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm not bothering to look it up, buy my recollection is that 115gr Lawman is loaded hot to resemble the recoil impulse of 124gr +P Gold Dots. If that's not quite correct somehow, I won't defend it.

Eric_L
03-07-2019, 03:51 PM
I don't know from HST but standard pressure 124 gold dots don't expand. I run 147s, GDs or HSTs.

How do you know they don’t expand? I don’t need a resume, I am not busting your chops, I really want to know. Thank you.

E

JAD
03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
How do you know they don’t expand? I don’t need a resume, I am not busting your chops, I really want to know. Thank you.

E
No worries: I watched @ChuckHaggard shoot a few into gelatin from a 43 at Tac Con 2016. Tamara was standing nearby. Made me mad -- I like that load. I have gone to 147s.

Eric_L
03-07-2019, 04:09 PM
No worries: I watched @ChuckHaggard shoot a few into gelatin from a 43 at Tac Con 2016. Tamara was standing nearby. Made me mad -- I like that load. I have gone to 147s.

Did they shoot GD 147?

Thanks.

Edster
03-07-2019, 04:11 PM
I'm not bothering to look it up, buy my recollection is that 115gr Lawman is loaded hot to resemble the recoil impulse of 124gr +P Gold Dots. If that's not quite correct somehow, I won't defend it.

Excellent. That makes sense when I compare velocities, too.

I just picked up some Fiocchi 115 grain at Academy because I lack patience. It supposedly does 1200 fps. I'll order some 115 Lawman, too.

JAD
03-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Did they shoot GD 147?

Thanks.

Nope, but https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20650-9-mm-147-gr-duty-load-testing&p=450046&viewfull=1#post450046

Duelist
03-07-2019, 04:52 PM

I like that load, too. I used it in a P11 to euthanize a crippled deer on the side of the road once - it wasn’t ambulatory, but was sure trying hard to be. Penetrated trough the neck from just below the base of the skull and out through the trachea. So even from a 3” tube and not expanding, it will work if it hits what is needful. Of course, just about anything that will penetrate would have worked with that placement.

CR78
03-07-2019, 05:27 PM
I have gone to 147s.

Apologies if you've already answered this - are you running a mag extension with 147 HSTs?

JAD
03-07-2019, 05:28 PM
I don’t believe in mag extensions. Well, I believe they exist.

newyork
03-07-2019, 05:34 PM
You mean you don’t like them?

JAD
03-08-2019, 01:03 AM
I mean I don’t expect them to be as reliable as the originally designed magazine, and trading reliability for a small increment in capacity is not worth it to me.

10mmfanboy
03-08-2019, 03:02 AM
I went completely backwards. Started with a 43 then bought a 42 and a 642. Haven't found any real reason to carry the 43. I only shoot 147 gn out of the 43 though. I find 147 gn in small guns a lot more pleasant to shoot and shoot quickly.

Glock 42 is much better balanced and I can shoot it quicker, less weight, thinner, rides easier in a pocket.

642 is my pocket ranch gun/ do all. So is my lcr 22 mag.

spj
03-08-2019, 07:45 AM
I'm warming up to my G43 after some teething problems. It went back to Glock after puking on 147 gold dots, 124 HST's, 127 rangers and 147 rangers. Always ran fine on ball. They replaced the slide stop. It runs better now. Easily have 1000 rounds through it. It has a set of Hackathorne's on it. I can shoot it darn near as good as a real gun. I bought one of the first scandium 360PD's when they came out, broke the frame, and received a replacement. All in all I have pocket carried the 360 a LOT, over 20 or so years but it has been replaced for pocket duty by the G43. A little extra weight but a lot more accuracy, speed and a night sight.

JAD
03-08-2019, 12:44 PM
I went completely backwards. Started with a 43 then bought a 42 and a 642. Haven't found any real reason to carry the 43.

It’s good that this follows my post above. I believe that the ability of a gun’s projectile to incapacitate is an aspect of that gun’s reliability. Based on Doc’s writings, in part, I am relatively comfortable with the idea that 9x19 is not quantifiably less reliable in incapacitation than other pistol calibers, so here specifically I’m not trading size or capacity for reliability. With .380 that calculus changes. All .380s are less reliable than 9 mms, because they are not (nearly) as reliable in incapacitation.

I would call that a real reason.

JodyH
03-09-2019, 10:21 AM
The 43 is a decent enough pistol but I went back to my Walther PPS because of the more reliable extended magazine options and I prefer the paddle release.

parishioner
12-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Would anyone be able to briefly comment on the type of finish current production G43s are receiving?

I handled one at my LGS and it was nothing like my previous 43x which seemed to have the nDLC finish as the Gen5s do.

This finish was light gray in comparison and and seemed similar to current production Gen3s they had in the case.

KevH
12-27-2022, 02:09 PM
Would anyone be able to briefly comment on the type of finish current production G43s are receiving?

I handled one at my LGS and it was nothing like my previous 43x which seemed to have the nDLC finish as the Gen5s do.

This finish was light gray in comparison and and seemed similar to current production Gen3s they had in the case.

Recent Glock 43's (and 42's for that matter) are finished exactly the same as they were when they were introduced. I bought a 42 a couple weeks ago to replace one I foolishly sold a few years back and it looks no difference (gray Gen4 type finish) as the one it replaced.

1Rangemaster
12-27-2022, 02:43 PM

I believe it is the "nitration" finish which was also on Gen4s. It gives a CoF grayish finish to the barrel and slide. In the Glock Advanced course a while back, it was stated that the nDLC finish started with the FBI "M" 17s and 19s, and is in full size guns.
I have some cleaning rags which have some oil on them. I wipe the slide and barrel at the port. That turns the finish darker if I've used gun scrubber. My personal 43 sees a little use as an ankle gun-Wilderness has a good rig-and sometimes in an IWB. No major issues.
Some here have referred to it as the "frying pan finish" I think.

parishioner
12-27-2022, 02:49 PM
Thank y’all

MGW
08-09-2023, 06:43 PM
Bumping an old thread.

Are you still finding a spot for the 43? I want to pick up a micro 9. Recent life changes have me going to kids sporting events again and want a low profile light weight 9mm carry pistol. A small light weight pistol is about all my back can handle for long days. I really don’t want a Sig 365 and I like that I already have all the holsters I would every need for a 43.

If Glock would make a 43 that would accept 43x/48 magazines I wouldn’t even hesitate.

CalAlumnus
08-09-2023, 06:52 PM
If Glock would make a 43 that would accept 43x/48 magazines I wouldn’t even hesitate.

And there’s the rub. I carry a P365 when I need a smaller gun, but I also don’t especially like it. Yet it’s also a lot smaller than the 43, but with 4 extra round.

I really wish Glock had a true micro 9, but the polymer coated magazines seem to be the limiting factor.

lwt16
08-09-2023, 07:00 PM
I still have mine but haven’t shot or carried it in quite a while. My Sig P365 replaced it.

My 43X, however, is back in business ever since my PSA 15 round mags proved to be reliable. The 43X PSA mag combo is hard to beat. My P365 tacops was giving me stoppages and I haven’t had time to figure out it’s issue.

Crusader
08-09-2023, 07:46 PM
I’ve owned mine for quite a while, bought it blue label in 2015. Put a set on Trijicon HD sights on it, use the stock mags have plus 1 and plus 2 mags can’t remember what brand but they are all polymer and have been 100% reliable from day one. Earlier this year I bought a couple of the SA 9 round mags they’ve also worked well. Don’t have a ton of rounds through it, 3000 but enough to know it’s a darn reliable little gun. I actually shoot it very well, the HD’s help. It’s not my main carry gun but there are times it comes in handy and I’m glad I have it. When I bought it, it replaced a PM9 as my small carry 9. A huge improvement.

tlong17
08-09-2023, 07:49 PM
P365 just makes the most sense for a relatively proven and reliable micro I think.

If you’re ok with non-OEM magazines, a 43 with a Shield Arms Z9 magazine is a good alternative. I like it better than going Glock clone, Shadow Systems CR920.

Noah
08-09-2023, 07:54 PM
I have a Glock 42 which offers a lot less recoil in the "super slim minimum size single stack for deep carry" category, and a Glock 48 with PSA 15 rounders, which is a lot more gun than a G43 with magazine extension.

For the tiny 9mm category, G43 stacks very poorly against the P365. Just outdated.

TC215
08-09-2023, 07:57 PM
I like the 43. We issue them, and I carry a POW 43 off-duty sometimes.

The biggest issues I see on the range with the 43’s are caused by (in no particular order):

1. Small females not holding onto the gun.

2. Agents using aftermarket magazine extensions.

3. Agents hanging stuff on the gun (TLR-6).

Bucky
08-09-2023, 09:05 PM

The biggest issues I see on the range with the 43’s are caused by (in no particular order):

I have put my 43 through some extreme “limp wrist” tests, with both factory magazines and Shield 9 round magazines. Could not cause a malfunction as hard as I tried. Note: I don’t use 115 ammo, the bane of many 9mm woes.

To me the 43, while a little bigger than a P365 or the P938 (which is what it replaced in my inventory), shoots like a much bigger gun. Again, for me, YMMV.

Duelist
08-09-2023, 09:40 PM

We tried a 43. My wife could run it, but hated it intensely. Called it a medieval torture device. She has a 42, and will shoot all of the ammunition I will buy or load for her.

G19Fan
08-09-2023, 11:41 PM
I have put my 43 through some extreme “limp wrist” tests, with both factory magazines and Shield 9 round magazines. Could not cause a malfunction as hard as I tried. Note: I don’t use 115 ammo, the bane of many 9mm woes.

To me the 43, while a little bigger than a P365 or the P938 (which is what it replaced in my inventory), shoots like a much bigger gun. Again, for me, YMMV.

So interesting how perception works between people. Was a huge glock fan but the p365 was better in every way than any slimline glock for me (g43, g43x, g48). For both me and my wife the p365 shoots like a much bigger gun

Whiskey
08-10-2023, 03:38 AM
We started to issue out the 43x at work for certain roles. We put the RMRcc on them and use the Shield mags with the metal magazine catch. So far, the only issues we've had have been with one member of management not getting magazines seated. I get why it happens, I have overly sized mitts and have to adjust my grip a little to get a mag in. He just didn't get why it kept happening, even after the explanation was given.

Haven't seen any reliability issues and I don't hate shooting it. The wife wants one now too, to replace her M&P Compact. Finally.

CarloMNL
08-10-2023, 04:10 AM
So interesting how perception works between people. Was a huge glock fan but the p365 was better in every way than any slimline glock for me (g43, g43x, g48). For both me and my wife the p365 shoots like a much bigger gun

I agree re P365. It looks like it should be snappier to shoot but it isn't. The 43X looks like it should be milder mannered but it isn't.

Having spent a few cases of ammo through a 43X, I think Glock could or should make a flatter, less chamfered trigger for it and maybe a backstrap insert system that fills up the sinus below the beavertail. For me, these two things would have made the gun easier to shoot consistently.

Now if Glock made a 42X, I'd buy one. :)

Leroy Suggs
08-10-2023, 07:00 AM
Yes perceptions differ. To me the P365 was awful. Squirmy, blasty, and hard to shoot well.
I hate it. Magazines were unreliable too.

On the other hand the G43 works well for me. I really like it.

PTSDog
08-10-2023, 07:08 AM
I liked the idea of the G43 when it came out. I still like it. It’s a reliable and accurate small handgun. But I find it heavy and has more felt recoil than others in its size category. Although I’m very accurate with it at longer distances, I’m just slower with it than compared to my G26 or even my G27. I will be up front and say the capacity does not bother me. And it carries so well for me AOWB. Just disappears under a t shirt.

I really liked the 365 when it first came out and even after I had issues with mine in 2018/19. I have one in 9mm and one in 380 today from 2023 builds. But I have several user induced malfunctions, slide locking back and magazines dropping, with it and had to convert them both to an “x” to make them shootable for me unfortunately. That takes away pocket carry for them, which is my number one way or concealed carry for me. But I can carry them in my shoulder holsters, so there is that. Cause the 365 is such a great shooter. I hate to be without one. I swear, if someone made a Taurus GX4 grip module for the 365 I would sell everything else and be the biggest 355 fan boy ever! Until then, I will experiment with strips of leather and horse leg wraps.

But for me, I don’t see the G43 being in my rotation anymore. Having nerve and structural damage in my hands, it’s pretty painful to shoot more than 25-30 rounds through it. I can shoot my G26 all day. And I can carry or shoot my G42 easier due to lesser weight and recoil. If I feel I have to go up to a larger pistol and heavier weight then my G26 looks like the same square brick in the same DeSantis Superfly or Alabama Deep Cover Pocket Holster. Both look like a small book in my pocket, but disappears under my orange apron at work. But when switching to the shoulder holster, it’s a wash.

I will add this, using Critical Defense Lite ammo in the G43 helped the snappy recoil for me. It still nothing like the recoil of the G42. If I didn’t have several other smaller handguns to carry and was just stuck with the G43, that is what I would be carrying in it and just march on.

Jerry

TGS
08-10-2023, 01:07 PM
Not that I can answer the question of "how's the G43 still working out for you", but I felt the need to chime in regardless.

I think I'm one of the few people who aren't bothered by the lower capacity vs the P365 and Hellcat..I'm not looking at the gun as a EDC replacement like most people, but as a dedicated BUG and NPE gun. There's an upper limit to weight for that role, and ammo adds weight. It might sound trivial, but a full loaded P365 is over that weight at 23 oz. A 20oz G43 is right at it. A G42 is perfect, being 16oz loaded.

Like other posters, I have a G42 and I just can't find a good reason to buy a G43 to replace the 42. Sure, it's 380, but it's not a primary gun for me and we kept being told that the most important thing is shot placement...and I can shoot a G42 exceptionally well compared to any micro 9mm. That, and it's significantly lighter than the G43 while still being easier to shoot well. It's a very compelling gun to me, and I will likely never sell it.

One of the things that holds me back from buying a G43 is that I can't even use my issued duty ammo in it (Gold Dot G2). Somewhat irrational given the cost of ammo in the grand scheme of things, I know, but I can't get past the mental roadblock that I'd have to buy separate SD ammo for it regardless of it being the same caliber as my issued gear.

Otherwise, I'd probably buy one. I still want one and will probably buy it on a lark sometime. If I was issued one like TC215, I'd probably just roll with that and forget the G42 until retirement.

TGS
08-10-2023, 01:12 PM
We started to issue out the 43x at work for certain roles. We put the RMRcc on them and use the Shield mags with the metal magazine catch. So far, the only issues we've had have been with one member of management not getting magazines seated. I get why it happens, I have overly sized mitts and have to adjust my grip a little to get a mag in. He just didn't get why it kept happening, even after the explanation was given.

Haven't seen any reliability issues and I don't hate shooting it. The wife wants one now too, to replace her M&P Compact. Finally.

Before one of ya'll get killed in a gunfight due to a mag malfunction, you should probably reach out to the FBI for their test data on the + capacity 43X mags.

cosermann
08-10-2023, 01:14 PM
Shooting G43s and P365s, and such are the main reason I went back to a G26 minimum, and a G19 preferred. The smaller guns are fine for what they are, and are sometimes needed in certain situations where one can't absolutely carry anything larger, but given the choice and option, but I just don't shoot the smaller guns as well as the larger (or enjoy shooting them as much).

Physics I guess.

I keep the small ones around for corner/niche situations when they're needed. Otherwise, they don't get carried all that much given my lifestyle. YMMV.

Greg
08-10-2023, 01:54 PM
My 43 has been reliable and decently accurate but it’s so small in my hands I can’t really like it.

It’s for situations where nothing bigger can be carried.

G19Fan
08-10-2023, 02:22 PM
I liked the idea of the G43 when it came out. I still like it. It’s a reliable and accurate small handgun. But I find it heavy and has more felt recoil than others in its size category. Although I’m very accurate with it at longer distances, I’m just slower with it than compared to my G26 or even my G27. I will be up front and say the capacity does not bother me. And it carries so well for me AOWB. Just disappears under a t shirt.

I really liked the 365 when it first came out and even after I had issues with mine in 2018/19. I have one in 9mm and one in 380 today from 2023 builds. But I have several user induced malfunctions, slide locking back and magazines dropping, with it and had to convert them both to an “x” to make them shootable for me unfortunately. That takes away pocket carry for them, which is my number one way or concealed carry for me. But I can carry them in my shoulder holsters, so there is that. Cause the 365 is such a great shooter. I hate to be without one. I swear, if someone made a Taurus GX4 grip module for the 365 I would sell everything else and be the biggest 355 fan boy ever! Until then, I will experiment with strips of leather and horse leg wraps.

But for me, I don’t see the G43 being in my rotation anymore. Having nerve and structural damage in my hands, it’s pretty painful to shoot more than 25-30 rounds through it. I can shoot my G26 all day. And I can carry or shoot my G42 easier due to lesser weight and recoil. If I feel I have to go up to a larger pistol and heavier weight then my G26 looks like the same square brick in the same DeSantis Superfly or Alabama Deep Cover Pocket Holster. Both look like a small book in my pocket, but disappears under my orange apron at work. But when switching to the shoulder holster, it’s a wash.

I will add this, using Critical Defense Lite ammo in the G43 helped the snappy recoil for me. It still nothing like the recoil of the G42. If I didn’t have several other smaller handguns to carry and was just stuck with the G43, that is what I would be carrying in it and just march on.

Jerry

I top would like a taurus gx4 grip module

Whiskey
08-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Before one of ya'll get killed in a gunfight due to a mag malfunction, you should probably reach out to the FBI for their test data on the + capacity 43X mags.

I’m not being sarcastic, what’s the best way to do that? Our firearms team is young and we work in a place where the firearms part of work is often treated as secondary to the other parts of the job.

After doing some range time today I’m wondering if we should have just left our plain clothes folks to carrying their G17s, because shooting a smaller gun just made shit harder for them.

JHC
08-10-2023, 02:29 PM
I was a big fan of my G43 but it’s really punching over its weight class with my 43X MOS slide wearing a RMSc. It’s ridiculous capability for a tiny gun.

TGS
08-10-2023, 02:39 PM
I’m not being sarcastic, what’s the best way to do that? Our firearms team is young and we work in a place where the firearms part of work is often treated as secondary to the other parts of the job.

After doing some range time today I’m wondering if we should have just left our plain clothes folks to carrying their G17s, because shooting a smaller gun just made shit harder for them.

No worries. One of the members here has talked to them in the past a bunch, on behalf of his agency. I'll PM him to draw his attention and see if he can share the POC.

As for plainclothes...26 and 19 are probably the best bet. You retain most of the shooting ability of a Glock 17, whereas everyone seems to pretty much agree that the 43 and 43X are noticeably less "shootable". It doesn't hurt that agencies like the FBI make no restrictions on the 26 like they do based on reliability concerns for the 43/43X as far as ammunition compatibility, mags, accessories. In order to pass reliability testing they had Glock perform several modifications to the guns, and they have a specific SKU that is ordered direct from Glock to ensure agents don't buy one of the earlier guns (I want to say pre-2020?) which can't pass testing. Even still, they apparently couldn't get them to pass testing with larger capacity mags or accessories like WMLs (a phenomenon noted in this thread by others).

Polecat
08-10-2023, 02:57 PM
I really hope they update it. Ability to take G48 mag amd an MOS slide would be awesome.

Whiskey
08-10-2023, 02:57 PM
We did decide to skip on the WML. Haven’t seen any reliability issues yet but we’re definitely early in the process. Thank you for the information.

PNWTO
08-10-2023, 03:18 PM
I really liked my G43, combined with a TLR-6 it was a "good enough" item and shot very well. Like others have said, it wasn't the most enjoyable/easiest shooter but was quite accurate and workable.

My father in law has it now. For a variety of reasons I decided the G42 did everything the G43 did in a smaller package and he didn't have a subcompact in his inventory.

I do mildly miss the G43 and I had no issues with it; preferences just changed.

MGW
08-10-2023, 06:18 PM
I want a micro 9. I don’t want to deal with adding another caliber like 380. I don’t like trigger reach on the 365. It sounds like the 43 has been reliable over the long term with factory magazines. I have sight options. It fits the holsters I already have for the 48. I like that I can add an MOS slide if my eye sight gets worse.

I think it fits the niche I need need to fill.

TC215
08-10-2023, 06:28 PM

PM me your work email address.

Leroy Suggs
08-10-2023, 06:31 PM
I want a micro 9. I don’t want to deal with adding another caliber like 380. I don’t like trigger reach on the 365. It sounds like the 43 has been reliable over the long term with factory magazines. I have sight options. It fits the holsters I already have for the 48. I like that I can add an MOS slide if my eye sight gets worse.

I think you will like the G43.

Totem Polar
08-10-2023, 09:51 PM
Like other posters, I have a G42 and I just can't find a good reason to buy a G43 to replace the 42. Sure, it's 380, but it's not a primary gun for me and we kept being told that the most important thing is shot placement...and I can shoot a G42 exceptionally well compared to any micro 9mm. That, and it's significantly lighter than the G43 while still being easier to shoot well. It's a very compelling gun to me, and I will likely never sell it.

I’m with you. I’m on my 3rd G42, and I’ve learned my lesson. It’s the perfect NPE solution.

I had either one, or two G43s, I can’t remember. I can, however, remember that it was harder to run than the “this thing shoots itself” G42. I doubt I’ll buy G43 #3.

I vote for splitting around the 43 with a Gen5 26 and a G42. That just about covers it, for this low-speed, high-drag civvy. JMO.

DLWinner
08-11-2023, 05:26 AM

The G43 is my favorite small gun. They shoot great for their size and mine have functioned 100%.

Edster
08-11-2023, 11:31 AM
Just happened to see this thread come back up and also saw my response from 2019.

Four years later and I'm still finding the 43 very useful. It continues to run like I expect a Glock to run. I change the RSA a bit more frequently than I would with a 19 or 17. My change interval is every "Feels a little sluggish going into battery after a press-check" rounds.

My last range visit, I was again impressed with how accurate the little gun can be. Yes, between-shot recovery is a bit slower than a full-size pistol. There's no free lunch.

I added a striker control device and bought an Enigma holster for it. It's not my preferred way to carry but AIWB is about the only way I can do a tucked shirt and slacks.

I prefer the OEM flat floorplate magazines. My groups actually open up a tiny bit if I'm using a finger extension. The finger-extension mags are nice as reloads for the extra area to grab.

And the tip about using 115 grain for practice to match POI for 124 grain +P was 100% on the mark.

1Rangemaster
08-11-2023, 03:42 PM
I’ve had a couple over the years. The latest will go with me in a bit to get some take out. It will be in a pocket. The 43 taught me a bit about shooting well, in that I changed my trigger finger position to shoot it well. I now place the first joint on the trigger. It is a “ minimal” gun with no dots, lights, bayonets, etc. Just 7 rounds and BOLD(orange front) sights.
My earlier version I had a TLR6 mounted with no issues. This latest iteration I’ve put an NY style trigger spring in at Werner’s suggestion, and I believe it helps ME with this gun. I did his Patreon course with it successfully.
No +P+ ammo for me in this, just a good 115-124 gr.projectile.
I can also see the appeal of the G42, but I’m not quite there yet…

TC215
08-11-2023, 04:08 PM
Guess I like 43’s more than I realized.

https://i.imgur.com/MtizpAX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Zmq8UrY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NZnJ1na.jpg

1911Nut
08-12-2023, 12:36 AM
My thoughts?

They are easy to carry.

They are easy to conceal.

Mine (don't know about others) is completely reliable with any 124 gr. ammo I havre tried in it.

A Holosun 407K optic (slide machined and direct mount by Maple Leaf Firearms) made it easier to shoot.

It's still not easy to shoot well. (Size 12 glove hands aggravate this issue).

MGW
10-07-2023, 09:29 AM
I finally broke down and bought a 43. I’m surprised at how easily the 6th round goes into the magazine.

In all seriousness, local dealer had a blue label 26 so I took a chance on it. I might still end up with a 43 some day but I know for a fact the 26 will be easier for me to shoot. I have a few different full size Glock holsters around to try out along with Glock 19 and 17 magazines. So there isn’t much invested outside of the pistol. I need to settle on some bright orange sights of some kind and start shooting.

jeep45238
10-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Got a steal on a 43. Added Trijicon XD sights, sent the slide off to get milled for a dot, XD sights are still usable as irons. A SCD is installed as well. A few wraps of hockey tape has made the frame just about right on texture.

All mags have a pinky rest on them, makes it a sort of bob-tailed 43X - no real preference between OEM and aftermarket rests.

B8 shows a consistent 5% drop versus the same upper on a 48 frame. It is far easier to shoot at speed than a wheelie gun, and accuracy is about on par to a G19 when using a dot for both.

Tossing this in an enigma is where I lean when I'm in gym shorts.

Nephrology
10-08-2023, 02:50 PM
I still am quite happy with my Glock 43s.

TC215
10-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Qual’d 100+ G43’s recently. As usual, the only malfunctions I saw were with guns with TLR-6’s or with people using extended magazines.

Leroy Suggs
10-08-2023, 03:28 PM
I still am quite happy with my Glock 43s.

Me too.Me 2.:D

Navin Johnson
10-08-2023, 03:31 PM
Qual’d 100+ G43’s recently. As usual, the only malfunctions I saw were with guns with TLR-6’s or with people using extended magazines.

what ammo do you guys run?

thanks

TC215
10-08-2023, 03:33 PM
what ammo do you guys run?

thanks

Training ammo is usually 147 gr Lawman or 147 gr Winchester.

Duty ammo is 147 gr HST.

Navin Johnson
10-08-2023, 04:49 PM
Training ammo is usually 147 gr Lawman or 147 gr Winchester.

Duty ammo is 147 gr HST.

I thought 147’s and 124+P’s were not ideal in the slim lines.

TC215
10-08-2023, 04:52 PM

Bureau runs 135gr +P in their 43/43X’s.

They don’t run the 147gr G2 in them because of the ballistic performance.

Bucky
10-09-2023, 05:52 AM

I’ve done a lot of testing with the 43 and 48. My conclusion was, stay away from +P. 147s (non +P) were fine. I run 147 HST in both.

YMMV.

parishioner
10-09-2023, 07:48 AM
I’ve done a lot of testing with the 43 and 48. My conclusion was, stay away from +P. 147s (non +P) were fine. I run 147 HST in both.

YMMV.

Same. My 43x would run 147 HST fine but choked on the first magazine of GD 124+P.

TGS
10-09-2023, 01:30 PM
I'm still not sure how I feel about the G43. I just got back from doing a head to head comparison of my G42 and G43.

Shooting a 5 second AMRAP at 10 yards on an 8" circle, I can fire 9 rounds with the G42. With the G43, I can do 4. Going to 5 and 6 rounds with the G43 is possible, but ends up pushing rounds outside the 8" circle. The G42 is just stupid easy to shoot well.

In addition, the G43 isn't a whole lot different to carry than the G26 while unlike the G43, the G26 is 90% the performance that a G19 is. Carrying the G42 is a much more noticeable difference to the G26, however. Shit, even compared to the G43, it's a big difference given how light it is.

I'm not thrilled with the G43. It's nice to have, I imagine I'll keep it around, but my inclination right now is that when I need a gun lighter or smaller than the G26, I'll choose the G42 over the G43. While 9mm is generally regarded as the baseline, the fact is that it's not a death ray anyways, and with such a substantial difference in shooting performance I feel like the G42 is a reasonable choice.

Totem Polar
10-09-2023, 04:47 PM
I'm still not sure how I feel about the G43. I just got back from doing a head to head comparison of my G42 and G43.

Shooting a 5 second AMRAP at 10 yards on an 8" circle, I can fire 9 rounds with the G42. With the G43, I can do 4. Going to 5 and 6 rounds with the G43 is possible, but ends up pushing rounds outside the 8" circle. The G42 is just stupid easy to shoot well.

In addition, the G43 isn't a whole lot different to carry than the G26 while unlike the G43, the G26 is 90% the performance that a G19 is. Carrying the G42 is a much more noticeable difference to the G26, however. Shit, even compared to the G43, it's a big difference given how light it is.

I'm not thrilled with the G43. It's nice to have, I imagine I'll keep it around, but my inclination right now is that when I need a gun lighter or smaller than the G26, I'll choose the G42 over the G43. While 9mm is generally regarded as the baseline, the fact is that it's not a death ray anyways, and with such a substantial difference in shooting performance I feel like the G42 is a reasonable choice.

I feel the same way about the G42 cost/benefit. Probably why I still have a 42, and have sold a couple of 43s.

Bucky
10-09-2023, 09:37 PM

I don’t own a 26, but I do own and have a LOT of carry time on a 27. It was my first carry gun when I moved to a free state 20 years ago and still sees holster time to this day. For me, there is a BIG difference between the 26/27 and the G43. I know this has become a cliche, but I think this is a truly YMMV scenario.

TGS
10-10-2023, 09:38 AM
I don’t own a 26, but I do own and have a LOT of carry time on a 27. It was my first carry gun when I moved to a free state 20 years ago and still sees holster time to this day. For me, there is a BIG difference between the 26/27 and the G43. I know this has become a cliche, but I think this is a truly YMMV scenario.

You're right, and you made me realize that I worded that poorly as I'm basing that statement on my situation.

Previously, either in this thread or another, I made a statement that the flat single stack guns offer an advantage with carrying tucked IWB as they reduce the general waistline bulge that double stack guns can create. Thing is, recently I've been using these guns almost exclusively with clothes lacking a belt using the Phlster Enigma. Between the exceptionally thick kydex holster shell and faceplate system, the Enigma represents a lot of bulk and I find the thin width of the G43 is essentially meaningless.

With regular carry using a traditional IWB holster which typically have thinner kydex shells and lack the bulky faceplate system, yeah, the G43 definitely makes a difference compared to the 26.

GJM
10-10-2023, 08:31 PM
I brought an iron sighted 43 to the range today. Haven't shot a 43 for a few years. First, I shot it at 20 yards with 115 Gold Dot, with a piece of one inch black tape as my aiming spot. It shot about a 2.5 inch group with three shots into the black tape. However, it seemed flippy compared to, for example, a 26. In terms of ease of shooting, 26>43X>43. Unless pocket carrying, I am not sure what a 43 does for me over a 43X or 26, and a 42 feels far easier to pocket.

jandbj
10-10-2023, 10:29 PM
I brought an iron sighted 43 to the range today. Haven't shot a 43 for a few years. First, I shot it at 20 yards with 115 Gold Dot, with a piece of one inch black tape as my aiming spot. It shot about a 2.5 inch group with three shots into the black tape. However, it seemed flippy compared to, for example, a 26. In terms of ease of shooting, 26>43X>43. Unless pocket carrying, I am not sure what a 43 does for me over a 43X or 26, and a 42 feels far easier to pocket.

Though GJM is a better marksman than I… he clearly summed up my thoughts & experiences succinctly.

Cool Breeze
10-13-2023, 08:29 AM
You're right, and you made me realize that I worded that poorly as I'm basing that statement on my situation.

Previously, either in this thread or another, I made a statement that the flat single stack guns offer an advantage with carrying tucked IWB as they reduce the general waistline bulge that double stack guns can create. Thing is, recently I've been using these guns almost exclusively with clothes lacking a belt using the Phlster Enigma. Between the exceptionally thick kydex holster shell and faceplate system, the Enigma represents a lot of bulk and I find the thin width of the G43 is essentially meaningless.

With regular carry using a traditional IWB holster which typically have thinner kydex shells and lack the bulky faceplate system, yeah, the G43 definitely makes a difference compared to the 26.

What shell are you using? When I bought the enigma express the holster that came with it was stupid wide for no reason. It had extra molding in the mouth area that just added width. I returned it. The JMCK shells look considerably smaller width wise but I don't have an enigma anymore for testing.

TGS
10-13-2023, 08:50 AM
What shell are you using? When I bought the enigma express the holster that came with it was stupid wide for no reason. It had extra molding in the mouth area that just added width. I returned it. The JMCK shells look considerably smaller width wise but I don't have an enigma anymore for testing.

I have a JMCK on the way for the G42, I've been using Phlster's own shells for the G43 and G26.

If the JMCK is significantly more concealable, I might get one for the G26. The Phlster shells are comically large.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-13-2023, 09:56 AM
I have a Road Dog for my G42. Very concealable under a floppy shirt. Also a DeSantis pocket holster for the gun. It vanishes in my Duluth big old front pocket. Interestingly, in the right front pocket, there is a little pocket for change and the extra G42 mag fits right into it comfortably.

PNWTO
10-13-2023, 09:57 PM
TGS, FWIW-

Claude Werner’s musings led me the Harry’s Holsters “Dirk” for the 42 and I like it quite a bit. Shell is scaled appropriately to the size and it’s an intelligent design.

TGS
10-13-2023, 10:14 PM
TGS, FWIW-

Claude Werner’s musings led me the Harry’s Holsters “Dirk” for the 42 and I like it quite a bit. Shell is scaled appropriately to the size and it’s an intelligent design.

Thanks, but when carrying in clothes without a belt I'm not a fan of clipping holsters to the clothing. In addition, it doesn't help me carry anything else, when I typically carry more than just a gun. This is how I have my rig setup, for instance. Carries the gun, spare mag, TQ, light, creds, phone.

ECVMatt
10-15-2023, 08:50 PM
I have had a my 43 for quite a while. I shoot it every so often and it has always worked. In the past, I have used it when fishing or hiking in the local mountains where things that bite are small and my perambulations take me beyond the average range of the locally deranged.

Today began to vet the controversial Z9 magazine in my 43. I purchased three in hopes that I would get at least one that would work.

I fired 150 rounds through them today, 50 rounds each, and they were 100% reliable and locked the slide back every time in my gun.

I am going to add this gun to my permit in January if it continues to function, but out of the gate I am very happy with the results.

I almost alway carry a Glock 19, but it will be nice to have a smaller gun for summer and strolls around town.

Totem Polar
11-05-2023, 06:57 PM
I feel the same way about the G42 cost/benefit. Probably why I still have a 42, and have sold a couple of 43s.

I admit it: I’m a gear whore. This is, I think, the 3rd one of these things I’ve bought over the years. That puts the 43 in a tie with the G42 and G26 for frequent flying through the chez Totem revolving door. :rolleyes:

Totem Polar
11-05-2023, 06:58 PM
#fact (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=fact)