PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 and or 41 for bulls eye shooting

dolphin62
08-22-2017, 05:32 AM
I have been looking at bulls eye shooting and it looks like a lot of fun to shoot. The question I have is this. Would either of these 2 pistols be good to start out with in this type of shooting. There both listed as competition pistols. I just can not afford a custom tuned pistol to start with until I know it would be something I would enjoy and be fairly good at. Would I be able to shoot some what good and some chance of success with these 2 pistols. Any comments would be great.

MGW
08-22-2017, 06:16 AM
It's been a long time since I've shot any bullseye. So with that being said if you don't already own a 34 or 41 I would look elsewhere. The real limiting factor for serious work with Glocks will be the triggers. If you don't want to get too serious about it and plan on using one or the other for other uses then I would say go for it.

45 and 38 used to rule bullseye but I'm not sure anymore. I used to shoot a Smith Model 52 with 38 FWC but there is nothing cheap about those now.

UI think you could probably shoot 22 also. Something like the Ruger MK series would be a cheap way to get started. A few dollars in parts and it will be very competitive.

If you don't mind spending a little more a Colt Gold cup would be pretty good out of the box. That will put you in the $1k range but it'll be accurate enough to get started. If you decided to do trigger work in the future you'll have a good base for that. You'll already have decent adjustable sights too.

farscott
08-22-2017, 06:46 AM
The bad news is that the Glock 34 and 41 are not suitable (competitive) for fifty-yard Bullseye. The Glock is too light and has too heavy of a trigger for the game. While you may do well at the beginning of a string, the later rounds will show the results from fatigue. The good news is that Bullseye shooters are generous with equipment, and you need a .22 rimfire pistol. If you show up at a match with the .22 and ammo for both it and the .45, it is a virtual certainty that fellow shooters will loan you centerfire guns to try. A Springfield Range Officer is a good first Bullseye gun as it can be modified to make it more competitive once you can shoot it to its potential.

There are also indoor matches on twenty-five yard and fifty-foot ranges with reduced targets and reduced round counts, and the Glock pistols would not be at such a disadvantage. The fifty-foot targets are lots of fun with .22 rimfires. Those targets are my usual winter choices.

Jim Watson
08-22-2017, 09:20 AM
NRA Precision Pistol is a three gun game, .22, centerfire, and .45. It is very common to just shoot the .45 in centerfire and save the cost of the traditional .38.

Gil Hebard said you could be in Sharpshooter or even Expert before you needed custom guns.

Once upon a time, it was usual to start out just shooting .22 and progress to the centerfire and bigbore as skill and budget allowed.
Ask at the actual local club where you will be shooting. Watch the shooting, talk to the shooters.
Shooters are the most helpful of sportsmen, they will give advice and equipment to help you beat them.

andre3k
08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
I just shot in a couple of BE matches a few months ago. I came with Ruger MKIII and a few mags borrowed a scope and stand from a buddy that was shooting the match as well.

Shooting an entire match is an all day affair and very tiring. I only shot the 22 portion and that was enough for me. Our club has a dedicated BE range and it's a dying sport. Most of the regular shooters are 50+ and younger shooters are few and far between. They were happy to just see a new face interested in shooting a match.

I could have shown up with nothing and probably could have enough gear donated to shoot the entire match. I would say shoot your model 41 just to start out with. You probably won't be competitive with anything you shoot at first. Most clubs will let you shoot the centerfire and 45 portions of the match with a 22lr but your score won't count, you're just shooting for practice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jetfire
08-22-2017, 11:26 AM
A pimped out 34 with a really good trigger would be an awesome bullseye gun for the simple reason that it would make old-school bullseye guys' heads explode.

Hambo
08-23-2017, 06:07 AM
It will only make their heads explode if you score well or beat them.

jetfire
08-23-2017, 12:26 PM
It will only make their heads explode if you score well or beat them.

Which is entirely doable, since the Gen4 34s are incredibly accurate guns.

jslaughter
08-25-2017, 06:53 PM
I love the G34, and if the gun is also going to be used for carry than do it. If it's just a game gun, go with a 9mm 1911.

JSGlock34
08-26-2017, 11:59 AM
I'd be interested to see what kind of accuracy you can get from one of the new Glock GEN5 'Marksman' barrels in a G34 length. G17M is producing sub 2" groups in FBI testing.

HCM
08-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Gen 4/5 34 with Dawson adjustable sights after market trigger and a WML for weight might work as a starter gun, or a 17/34 MOS with RDS.

andre3k
08-26-2017, 09:51 PM
BE is just a fun endeavor and shooting one hand at 50 yards will improve anyone's shooting ability. I wouldn't hesitate to try a glock at but just don't expect to be competitive with the full custom wad guns. Right now I'm simply focused on getting better with my Ruger MKII target model, my gun isn't holding me back at this point. You're talking about a sport where no competitor has shot a perfect score.