PDA

View Full Version : Constructive criticism for my first IDPA Match

Nephrology
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
hello!

While I have shot some IPSC in the past (~5-6 matches) I am totally new to IDPA. I was hoping to get some input. Below is a link to me shooting my 1st IDPA match (brown jacket shooter with the light grey ball cap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FidJEVz3WU&feature

Any tips? If you put it in HD you can see where my shots are landing on the 3rd stage. Interestingly my groups magically got much tighter on the target with the no shoot and hard cover. Aim small miss small I guess. I also somehow did almost better with my strong hand/weak hand only shots than my freestyle!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice to be had.

jar
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
You don't need to duck back behind cover when reloading. If your use of cover is ok for shooting, it's ok for reloading. Looks like you got a procedural for having the leg outside of cover on the first stage, and one for forgetting tac sequence on the last one, do I have that right?

All in all, looks pretty good for your first match.

Nephrology
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
You don't need to duck back behind cover when reloading. If your use of cover is ok for shooting, it's ok for reloading. Looks like you got a procedural for having the leg outside of cover on the first stage, and one for forgetting tac sequence on the last one, do I have that right?

All in all, looks pretty good for your first match.

Correct on both counts. I actually had slipped on spent brass with my right foot which caused my left foot to end up further outside than I had wanted, but I am still kind of working on how to shoot around cover and what distance I need to keep between my body and it. It is definitely more challenging in that regard than IPSC, but the actual shooting doesn't taunt me with 25+yd shots like IPSC has in the past.

jar
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
General rule of thumb is a bit more than arms length back from the wall. You want to be able to shoot from full extension without your muzzle going past the wall. That way you don't have to pull the gun back in to avoid hanging up on the side of the barricade when moving.

NETim
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I've had some IPSC types tell me (rather emphatically) that "You'll just know how to shoot from behind cover." (ahem)

Nephrology
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I've had some IPSC types tell me (rather emphatically) that "You'll just know how to shoot from behind cover." (ahem)

Haha. Nope. I never made that assumption. I tried to go slower than I would normally with IPSC (whose rules admit a lot of quick moving and shooting) in order to focus on the cover, order of target engagement, etc. My marksmanship wasn't so hot but I thought my reloads and other weapon manipulations remained good as I intentionally focused more on what my body outside of my trigger finger was doing.

jthhapkido
01-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Good lord. (You'll have to tell me who said that so we can smack them next time we are at a match.)

Cover is one of those things that most people WILL screw up without training---because every example they've ever seen (outside of actual training) is most likely VERY wrong. Hollywood never does it right, USPSA ignores the concepts, and most wanna-be super-commandos haven't the faintest clue.

And that's still different from the cover requirements of IDPA. :)

NETim
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Haha. Nope. I never made that assumption. I tried to go slower than I would normally with IPSC (whose rules admit a lot of quick moving and shooting) in order to focus on the cover, order of target engagement, etc. My marksmanship wasn't so hot but I thought my reloads and other weapon manipulations remained good as I intentionally focused more on what my body outside of my trigger finger was doing.

Sorry. My comment wasn't directed at you. I read this thread and that memory just popped into my head.

NETim
01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Good lord. (You'll have to tell me who said that so we can smack them next time we are at a match.)

Cover is one of those things that most people WILL screw up without training---because every example they've ever seen (outside of actual training) is most likely VERY wrong. Hollywood never does it right, USPSA ignores the concepts, and most wanna-be super-commandos haven't the faintest clue.

And that's still different from the cover requirements of IDPA. :)

Agreed. I don't know who it was who made that comment. It was so long ago now I probably wouldn't recognize him. It occurred in the midst of another one of those friendly "IDPA vs IPSC" debates. :)

Nephrology
01-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry. My comment wasn't directed at you. I read this thread and that memory just popped into my head.

Oh no worries I never assumed so. but I dont exactly consider IDPA or IPSC to be 'real training' for the 'real world.' they're both games, each of which have their ups and downs. I do like that taking your time is more encouraged in IDPA.

NETim
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Oh no worries I never assumed so. but I dont exactly consider IDPA or IPSC to be 'real training' for the 'real world.' they're both games, each of which have their ups and downs. I do like that taking your time is more encouraged in IDPA.

Both are games. I like that IDPA attempts to emphasize cover and "real world" gear. But training, no. Just a place to practice the good stuff on the clock.

jar
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I do like that taking your time is more encouraged in IDPA.

Last I checked, the fastest time still wins.