PDA

View Full Version : NFA process streamlined

LittleLebowski
08-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Big news. Very awesome. Much win.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/18/nfa-process-modernized/

Drang
08-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Awesome, even if I am still a #poorfag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=poorfag) :(

SeriousStudent
08-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Wow, I am delighted to read this.

And my hat is off to the leadership at the BATFE who were supportive of this effort. It's not often that I use the word "leadership" in conjunction with a government agency. But it's well-deserved in this case. Bravo.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Wow, I am delighted to read this.

And my hat is off to the leadership at the BATFE who were supportive of this effort. It's not often that I use the word "leadership" in conjunction with a government agency. But it's well-deserved in this case. Bravo.

It's almost like they're behaving differently with the new sheriff in town :D

LittleLebowski
08-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Awesome, even if I am still a #poorfag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=poorfag) :(

PM incoming.

voodoo_man
08-18-2017, 05:38 PM
I'll believe it when I see it work really well.

Also, a few months is still unacceptable. Yes it's better than years but still, shouldn't take this long.

GJM
08-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Would be interesting to see their numbers. I bet suppressor transfers are way up, and short barrel rifles down substantially with the proliferation of AR pistols.

MistWolf
08-18-2017, 08:44 PM
I want my
I want my
I want my SBR

Grey
08-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Well time to jump back in the nfa game.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

md8232
08-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Great news, my 2nd El Camino is being shipped this week from the Hansohn Bros.!!!

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
08-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Would be interesting to see their numbers. I bet suppressor transfers are way up, and short barrel rifles down substantially with the proliferation of AR pistols.

Agreed on seeing REAL #'s George but wouldn't can #'s also be down due to all the 'tards/newcomers *thinking* it better to wait on the HPA passing?

Kyle Reese
08-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Awesome. I need to pick up a 9mm can.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

walker2713
08-20-2017, 09:20 AM
It's hard for me to know from day to day where I am on the continuum from cynicism to paranoia....but maybe this is an endrun by the BATF to try to head-off Congress passing laws such as HPA and others that would actually take them off the restricted list. This way, they still have control, power, jobs......

I know, I know.....:rolleyes:

joshs
08-20-2017, 09:37 AM
It's hard for me to know from day to day where I am on the continuum from cynicism to paranoia....but maybe this is an endrun by the BATF to try to head-off Congress passing laws such as HPA and others that would actually take them off the restricted list. This way, they still have control, power, jobs......

I know, I know.....:rolleyes:

It's not. It's no secret that ATF leadership wants HPA to pass so they can refocus agency resources on things that actually help fight crime.

CCT125US
08-20-2017, 10:27 AM
It's not. It's no secret that ATF leadership wants HPA to pass so they can refocus agency resources on things that actually help fight crime.

Can you expand on this?

Hansohn Brothers
08-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Can you expand on this?

ATF Associate Deputy white paper (https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170210/atf-associate-deputy-director-pens-white-paper-on-reducing-needless-firearms-regulations) was leaked earlier this year that outlines several changes that ATF could make to decrease the burdens placed on gun owners and the firearms industry while maintaining public safety.

As to the barcode thing.

What is it and what does it do?

This is a PDF_417 format barcode that stores transferee information found on the form 4, specifically:

Page 1, item 2A
Responsible person questionnaire page 1
CLEO information

I’m not sure how much time this will save, but I filed two forms yesterday using the barcode so I guess we will see!

Hansohn Brothers
08-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Further info can be found on Capitol Armory's blog. (http://www.capitolarmory.com/blog/what-is-the-atf-bar-code-system.html)

COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Does the new ATF bar code system advance or speed up my wait time?

Forms with bar codes will not be given priority over those forms without bar codes. Bar codes only speed up the initial data entry process; they do not aide the legal examiner. The bar codes remove some of the data entry required when the Form 4 first reaches the ATF, but they do not affect the time spent by the legal examiners who review and approve your Form 4.

Should I wait until the new bar code system is implemented to submit my Form 4?

Forms with bar codes do not get a "jump" in line - they simply eliminate some data entry by the ATF. All forms are entered into the ATF's database in the order in which they are received and there is not preferential treatment for those forms with a bar code. Capitol Armory's form generating system will include bar codes starting September 1, 2017.

Will wait times significantly drop because of the new bar code system?

Probably not. This new system only affects the data entry team and they do not approve forms. In the long term, this will reduce ATF costs and some inefficiencies, but it will not affect your wait time for a legal examiner to approve your Form 4.

walker2713
08-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Joshs: I hope you're right....I'm just not very hopeful about the intentions and desires of any bureaucracy to give up power once obtained. The BATF is no exception.

No one appears to be in any hurry to make sensible changes in the rules regarding silencers.

Put me down for hopeful, but not optimistic.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
08-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Joshs: I hope you're right....I'm just not very hopeful about the intentions and desires of any bureaucracy to give up power once obtained. The BATF is no exception.

No one appears to be in any hurry to make sensible changes in the rules regarding silencers.

Since you didn't put caps. on your *hopeful* above, I'm right there with ya Carroll/West Carroll parish man.

Odin Bravo One
08-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Guess I can go ahead and dig out the hacksaw to finish what I started on the snake blaster.

joshs
08-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Can you expand on this?

The white paper that Hansohn Brothers linked to was primarily what I was referring to.

Suppressors are a pretty gigantic headache for the NFA Division. They have an archaic process for dealing with the applications that is very man hour intensive. Some staff have occasionally been retasked within Enforcement Programs and Services, not to mention all the overtime that NFA Division has been logging to try to reduce the backlog.

Ed L
09-19-2017, 11:13 PM
I am going to ask a dumb question. You are required to provide finger prints and photos on a form. How is that streamlined and how is that submitted electronically?

thanks

SeriousStudent
09-20-2017, 07:32 PM
I am going to ask a dumb question. You are required to provide finger prints and photos on a form. How is that streamlined and how is that submitted electronically?

thanks

My friendly NFA dealer stores them electronically. He prints them, and I sign the card. With an electronic upload system, they could do the same thing with a digital signature.

Ed L
09-22-2017, 01:53 AM
My friendly NFA dealer stores them electronically. He prints them, and I sign the card. With an electronic upload system, they could do the same thing with a digital signature.

I may be tech clueless and missing the obvious, but how does he store them electronically? Do you scan the form with the photos and fingerprints?

I may have t invest in a better scanner.

thanks,

Ed

Hansohn Brothers
09-22-2017, 08:47 AM
We use a livescan fingerprint system which stores prints and signatures. When a customer purchases an NFA firearm from us, we simply reprint their fingerprint cards if they are in our system.

ranger
09-22-2017, 08:58 AM
My LGS that sells a lot of suppressors has a "kiosk" for scanning fingerprints, etc. to facilitate the process.

SeriousStudent
09-22-2017, 06:14 PM
I may be tech clueless and missing the obvious, but how does he store them electronically? Do you scan the form with the photos and fingerprints?

I may have t invest in a better scanner.

thanks,

Ed

Pretty much that. He has a scanner that I place my wee stubby digits on, and he presses a button.

I even said "Presto chango!" while he did it. He remarked that it was not necessary to do so.

I replied that with year-long waits on Form 4's, I was just trying anything that would help.

It's the same basic device that L3 uses here in Texas to scan your fingerprints for your CHL/LTC. If you got yours when I got mine, we had to do the ink on paper thing.

Once stored electronically, my NFA dealer can print them on the appropriate form, and then I sign it. You can also buy the forms from Amazon, take your own prints and sign them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018DWAAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/PrintMatic-Flawless-Ink-Pad-Dimensions/dp/B004VWAF08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506121924&sr=8-2&keywords=Sirchie+Finger+Print+Laboratories

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050AM5US/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have those three here at the house. You are welcome to borrow some if you like.

Ed L
09-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Thanks. So it requires a special scanner and program and then puts it on the forms. What about the photos?

I am trying to figure out the process to set up the form that it can be electronically submitted.

Hopefully I will see you at William April tomorrow and we can talk.

thanks,

Ed

Kyle Reese
11-01-2017, 05:30 PM
I've got a Dead Air Sandman K coming from Hansohn Brothers, and I went the Individual Route for this one.

littlejerry
11-01-2017, 08:45 PM
I've got a Dead Air Sandman K coming from Hansohn Brothers, and I went the Individual Route for this one.

I was literally looking at ordering the same can.

Did you just order or take possession?

Kyle Reese
11-02-2017, 01:44 AM
I was literally looking at ordering the same can.

Did you just order or take possession?Just ordered.