PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M2 Tactical 14 inch

Paul D
08-14-2017, 10:33 PM
I was looking to get a semi-auto shotgun to SBS. The Beretta 1301 tactical looked promising but I guess you can't shorten the barrel. My LGS has a blue label Benelli M2 tactical 14" with a pistol grip for $999. I've seen that gun on the wall for the last year. No cop in Phoenix or Scottsdale is buying that. I have semi-auto Berettas for hunting but I know nothing about Benellis. The guy said he would sell it to me at that price. Should I jump on it without ever firing shot and trust that it is going to be good? Waiting 9-12 months (hopefully shorter by now) for a form 4 is a long time to be disappointed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-yaqypdjVAhUUV2MKHXyvBmQQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benellile.com%2Fm2-tactical-shotgun&psig=AFQjCNEi9BaIAxRyxm5k1WblfcbhKKoO0g&ust=1502853954090981http://www.benellile.com/sites/default/files/styles/model_hover_large/public/originals/product-firearms/m2-entry_0.png?itok=FeMP5u_G

GJM
08-14-2017, 10:39 PM
I was looking to get a semi-auto shotgun to SBS. The Beretta 1301 tactical looked promising but I guess you can't shorten the barrel. My LGS has a blue label Benelli M2 tactical 14" with a pistol grip for $999. I've seen that gun on the wall for the last year. No cop in Phoenix or Scottsdale is buying that. I have semi-auto Berettas for hunting but I know nothing about Benellis. The guy said he would sell it to me at that price. Should I jump on it without ever firing shot and trust that it is going to be good? Waiting 9-12 months (hopefully shorter by now) for a form 4 is a long time to be disappointed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-yaqypdjVAhUUV2MKHXyvBmQQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benellile.com%2Fm2-tactical-shotgun&psig=AFQjCNEi9BaIAxRyxm5k1WblfcbhKKoO0g&ust=1502853954090981http://www.benellile.com/sites/default/files/styles/model_hover_large/public/originals/product-firearms/m2-entry_0.png?itok=FeMP5u_G

That is a good price, and is the model my number two 14 inch Benelli is based on. What I did to mine was add a Scalarworks mount and T2, Nordic plus 2 (as the Benelli extension has a thingee that can be dislodged turning your shotgun into a one shot), drill the fore end for a Nordic sling mount and light rail), and the expensive part which is add a compact Comfortech stock. An alternative would be to buy a M2 tactical 18 inch with Comfortech for $1,299, form one it, and have use of the shotgun while waiting for the paperwork.

GJM
08-14-2017, 10:45 PM

Paul D
08-14-2017, 10:48 PM
That is a good price, and is the model my number two 14 inch Benelli is based on. What I did to mine was add a Scalarworks mount and T2, Nordic plus 2 (as the Benelli extension has a thingee that can be dislodged turning your shotgun into a one shot), drill the fore end for a Nordic sling mount and light rail), and the expensive part which is add a compact Comfortech stock. An alternative would be to buy a M2 tactical 18 inch with Comfortech for $1,299, form one it, and have use of the shotgun while waiting for the paperwork.

I was thinking about getting the 18 inch model but was not sure if you can cut the barrel and move the front sight back. Maybe I was confusing the M2 with the M4 action. The pull length on the pistol grip stock is a tad too long the comb is tad too low. Your idea about converting a 18 inch gun is probably better. Thanks!

GJM
08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
I was thinking about getting the 18 inch model but was not sure if you can cut the barrel and move the front sight back. Maybe I was confusing the M2 with the M4 action. The pull length on the pistol grip stock is a tad too long the comb is tad too low. Your idea about converting a 18 inch gun is probably better. Thanks!

That pistol grip stock beat the crap out of me with slugs, and the Comfortech is far better. Do you want a 14? If so, and if you wanted to run the new Aimpoint S1, which is low mounted on the vent rib, you could get a 21 inch M2 field, as the spacing is perfect to cut the vent rib barrel back to 14.

SeriousStudent
08-14-2017, 11:02 PM
I found one here in Texas that was a police trade-in. Definitely not new, but I can do a Form 4 and hopefully have it in less than a year.

George, thanks for the info regarding recommended upgrades. I'm definitely going with a shorter stock, rather than the factory boat oar.

Paul, I'd be very curious on any timing differences between a Form 1 and a Form 4. Do they still go to the same examiners? The last time I heard, they were all being processed by state. But that was about two tears ago, I think.

GJM
08-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Since the M2 is inertial, instead of gas like the M4, cutting the barrel is reported as fine. My 21 cut to 14 has been 100 percent reliable.

GJM
08-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Paul, here is a little bit of Benelli love with that 14 inch model you pictured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYb35RbTrCY&sns=em

Paul D
08-14-2017, 11:12 PM
That pistol grip stock beat the crap out of me with slugs, and the Comfortech is far better. Do you want a 14? If so, and if you wanted to run the new Aimpoint S1, which is low mounted on the vent rib, you could get a 21 inch M2 field, as the spacing is perfect to cut the vent rib barrel back to 14.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the S1. Is there a way to but a front sight on a chopped rib of that barrel? I would like some type of back up sights and the cost between the two (field vs tactical) is the same. By the way they had this Nova SBS for $399 which is cheaper than a Remmy 870. I already have two 870P 14" SBS so I wasn't tempted as much.

http://www.benellile.com/sites/default/files/styles/model_hover_large/public/originals/product-firearms/nova-pump-entry.png?itok=kP5zyvPB

GJM
08-14-2017, 11:16 PM
My 21 field cut to 14 has a big fiber optic front, which actually works well and is easy to have installed. That is all many of the 3 gunners use, although I want the S1 for precise placement of slugs.

I have a 14 Nova, and I look like a monkey humping a football trying to get that to run fast. I am way better with an 870.

Paul D
08-14-2017, 11:21 PM
I found one here in Texas that was a police trade-in. Definitely not new, but I can do a Form 4 and hopefully have it in less than a year.

George, thanks for the info regarding recommended upgrades. I'm definitely going with a shorter stock, rather than the factory boat oar.

Paul, I'd be very curious on any timing differences between a Form 1 and a Form 4. Do they still go to the same examiners? The last time I heard, they were all being processed by state. But that was about two tears ago, I think.

I think it is the same examiner. I have a form 1 and 4 out pending so I will find out...next year. Damn those Comfort Stocks are expensive: $400 if you can find them! I'm leaning towards the 18.5" tactical with comfort stock and then cutting it but if a good M2 Field gun pops up Ill get that.

Paul D
08-14-2017, 11:39 PM
14" M2 barrels with the front sight are available. I don't recall the price but I was looking at M2s and barrels on GB last week and saw them.

ETA: maybe it wasn't GB: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=&Product_Code=81063&Category_Code=benelli-m2-barrels

Thanks. Man...the price of the barrel and the rear stock is more than the complete gun itself. This is insanity!

Hambo
08-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Paul, I'd be all over that $999 M2. Benelli barrels are never cheap.

GJM, what's the problem with a SBS Nova? I never had a desire for one, just wondering what you found problematic.

GJM
08-15-2017, 06:59 AM
Paul, I'd be all over that $999 M2. Benelli barrels are never cheap.

GJM, what's the problem with a SBS Nova? I never had a desire for one, just wondering what you found problematic.

Just feels awkward in terms of controls and pumps far slower than my 870 shotguns.

jlw
08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
The length of pull on the pistol grip stock can be shortened. I had an M1 stock cut to 12.75", and one of my guys had one cut to 12.5". It makes a tremendous difference in the handling and the comfort of shooting.

http://i.imgur.com/bGouzKv.jpg

Toonces
08-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Given the extreme cost of the compact Comfortech* stock ($442!), and the inability to shoot before purchasing (I assume), I would not buy that. I would rather buy an M2 Field Compact (item 11017) with the compact Comfortech stock and 26" barrel, and vet the shotgun before sending in my SBS paperwork. Once you have the SBS approval from BATFE, have the barrel engraved and chopped.

http://www.benelliusa.com/m2-field-shotgun

*My Dad has the shotgun shown in the OP, but with an 18.5" barrel. I thought it recoiled all out of proportion for the power of the shells I was shooting. As in a 1-1/4 oz pheasant load in the M2 recoiled like a hot Marlin 1895 45-70 load in my Ruger No. 1. Maybe I was having an off day, but the recoil was attention getting, and I'm not unfamiliar with heavy recoiling rifles. So I'm really not a fan of that configuration. Based on my very limited experience, and what GJM said, I would consider the Comfortech necessary.

GJM
08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Given the extreme cost of the compact Comfortech* stock ($442!), and the inability to shoot before purchasing (I assume), I would not buy that. I would rather buy an M2 Field Compact (item 11017) with the compact Comfortech stock and 26" barrel, and vet the shotgun before sending in my SBS paperwork. Once you have the SBS approval from BATFE, have the barrel engraved and chopped.

http://www.benelliusa.com/m2-field-shotgun

*My Dad has the shotgun shown in the OP, but with an 18.5" barrel. I thought it recoiled all out of proportion for the power of the shells I was shooting. As in a 1-1/4 oz pheasant load in the M2 recoiled like a hot Marlin 1895 45-70 load in my Ruger No. 1. Maybe I was having an off day, but the recoil was attention getting, and I'm not unfamiliar with heavy recoiling rifles. So I'm really not a fan of that configuration. Based on my very limited experience, and what GJM said, I would consider the Comfortech necessary.

The issue with the 26 with the Comfortech compact stock, is the vent rib spacing won't work right with a cut to 14 inches. Can't remember how it works with 18 or 18.5. The 21 works perfectly to 14. Another option is going with the regular Comfortech, and buy just the thin Limbsavr pad from Benelli, which shortens up the LOP.

Toonces
08-15-2017, 05:25 PM
The issue with the 26 with the Comfortech compact stock, is the vent rib spacing won't work right with a cut to 14 inches. Can't remember how it works with 18 or 18.5. The 21 works perfectly to 14. Another option is going with the regular Comfortech, and buy just the thin Limbsavr pad from Benelli, which shortens up the LOP.

That figures. But if I was going to run an Aimpoint, I would cut to my chosen length, and cut the rib short. Looks be damned.

Do any of your SBS have screw in chokes? Any experience with the M2 20 gauge?

Hambo
08-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Follow up to Toonces question: when you cut the M2 barrel did you have it threaded for choke tubes?

GJM
08-16-2017, 04:06 PM
That figures. But if I was going to run an Aimpoint, I would cut to my chosen length, and cut the rib short. Looks be damned.

Do any of your SBS have screw in chokes? Any experience with the M2 20 gauge?

No cut barrels with chokes, two 20 gauge M2 set up for slugs. The 20 recoils like .308 out of an AR.

DamonL
08-18-2017, 11:10 AM
What I did to mine was add a Scalarworks mount and T2, Nordic plus 2 (as the Benelli extension has a thingee that can be dislodged turning your shotgun into a one shot).

What is the issue with the factory tube? Any more details?

GJM
08-18-2017, 11:15 AM
What is the issue with the factory tube? Any more details?

Unlike the Nordic, which is a solid tube, the end of the Benelli extended tube is open, with the spring retained by a thin metal plate. If you push on that plate wrong, it dislodges along with your spring.