PDA

View Full Version : new member seeks double stack 9mm suggestions

gtae07
08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone, first post here... please be gentle :p

[stuff about P320 deleted, original post can be found here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27131-The-Implications-for-SIG-SAUER&p=637274&viewfull=1#post637274]

I'm waiting like everyone else to see what becomes of the announcement tomorrow. Whatever it is, I'll be sending mine in for the upgrade, if for no other reason than to hopefully keep some resale value to it. But at this point, learning what I have from a week of research, I don't know if I'm going to keep it as my primary carry weapon any more. I'm certainly not going to keep carrying the P320 right now, and I don't think I'll be buying any Sig products again. I'll either sell the 320 or stick a light on it as the nightstand gun. I'm going out on Tuesday to function-check the LC9s I bought used as a second-string carry gun (conveniently enough, the day before this all broke) and I'll probably use that for the short term until I either get something new or the Sig comes back. And I'm taking the wife up on her offer to go pistol shopping and at least look around--she's pushing Glock because she likes her 19.4, but I'm going to do a little more in the way of research. Any suggestions for 9x19 double stacks?

Bigghoss
08-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the forum!

[SIG and P320 stuff deleted, original post can be found here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27131-The-Implications-for-SIG-SAUER&p=637281&viewfull=1#post637281]

As for replacements guns, short answer is usually Glock but the Beretta PX4 Compact Carry is the new hotness everybody is drooling over. Myself included. Check the pistol section and have a look around.

peterb
08-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Any suggestions for 9x19 double stacks?..

Here's one that's generated some discussion.....
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

David S.
08-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Any suggestions for 9x19 double stacks?

There's a wide variety of them available.

Glock 19 is far and away the most popular. It's been the "default answer" here for a long time, with good reason. Add Gadget, real sights and rock on.
PX4 series is the new P-F hotness, thanks to SME Ernest Langdon.
H&K, SIG, CZ and S&W also make a variety of guns that are well respected here.

Just to name a few. All have been discussed ad nauseam.

HCM
08-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
Any suggestions for 9x19 double stacks?..

This would best be addressed in it's own thread.

Some parameters - striker fired or DA/SA ? If DA/SA polymer frame or Metal Frame ?

HCM
08-13-2017, 01:45 PM
There's a wide variety of them available.

Glock 19 is far and away the most popular. It's been the "default answer" here for a long time, with good reason. Add Gadget, real sights and rock on.
PX4 series is the new P-F hotness, thanks to SME Ernest Langdon.
H&K, SIG, CZ and S&W also make a variety of guns that are well respected here.

Just to name a few. All have been discussed ad nauseam.

Any of the brands David S. Mentioned are serviceable but the default answer is a Glock 19 unless you have XL or XXL hands, then a 17 or 26.

gtae07
08-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I've shot my wife's 19 some. She really likes it and just needs more practice and a decent instructor (which I am decidedly not). She even named it "Sally" and thinks it's pretty.

And to her credit it's not bad--I just want to make sure I do my due diligence on this and make a better choice than I apparently did the first time :/
I'll check the HKs, PX4, and S&W, but no more Sigs :mad: I used to be a big fan of strikers but I'm more open-minded now, at least to a DA/SA or DAO.

Where do I buy one of these Gadgets? I've figured out what they are and want to get her one as she carries AIWB; just can't find where they're sold.

ReverendMeat
08-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Don't forget White Sound HRED, Non-LCI SLB, Apex Extractor, and butt plug. :p

To the OP, all I'll say is that out of all the guns I've owned I've had the fewest issues with Berettas and CZs.

1Rangemaster
08-13-2017, 02:55 PM
As a point of information, GLOCK headquarters for the United States is in Smyrna, GA, complete with factory Warranty service Monday-Friday.

ranger
08-13-2017, 03:13 PM
If you are near Atlanta area such that you have access to Smyrna - Glock 19 (or 17 or 26) would seem to be the one to consider first. I am drinking the Beretta PX4 cool aid but one of the few M&P 9mm fans on PF.

orionz06
08-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Just buy a G17/G19 and shoot it enough until you've figured out what it doesn't do for you that you think you want it to do and then at that point consider addressing it.

walker2713
08-13-2017, 03:43 PM
I've got several of the kind being discussed in my gunsafe....including a P320C I'm very fond of....

Although the only CZ I've got is a P10C, you might take a look at some of their DA/SA guns such as the P07. The pricing is right, and I hear a lot of good things about them. Either "out of the box" or "adjusted" with custom parts, it might be a good alternative.

Be sure and let us know how the journey turns out....

And, welcome to the forum!

holmes168
08-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. I've learned a lot from the people here and if you stick around you will too.
I've been where you are today and spent plenty of money that I'll never get back which is why my recommendation is to get a Glock. Seems like the baseline for every pistol is the G-19.
Whatever you do- buy a few hundred rounds and rent a multitude of guns at the range and shoot them all. Figure out what works for you and your life.

Beat Trash
08-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Your wife already owns a Glock 19, so I would shot it some more and see what you think. There is a lot to be said for consolidating on one type of pistol within a household. Same magazines, holsters, ect.

If you are interested in striker fired guns, and don't want a Glock, then I would look at the CZ P10c or the Beretta APX. IF you want a DA/SA gun, then I'd look at the Beretta PX4c or the CZ P7.

If you don't have any quality time with a DA/SA pistol, I would rent one first and shoot it a bit before you decide.

With that said, I'd just go out and buy another Glock 19...

HCM
08-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Agreed and done!

http://youtu.be/3bQnxlHZsjY

Totem Polar
08-13-2017, 04:36 PM
You live in Georgia. Your wife already has a G19. You've come across this forum (and incidentally the inventors of the gadget).

It's fate.

I'd also say another Glock. I'm a G26 fan, myself, but you can't go wrong laying in another G19, a bunch of extra mags and springs/parts and 2k ammo for your wife and you to run through the pair together. Very hard to argue against, unless you just have to have something different (like a Langdon Beretta). JMO.

Lon
08-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Your wife already owns a Glock 19, so I would shot it some more and see what you think. There is a lot to be said for consolidating on one type of pistol within a household. Same magazines, holsters, ect.

If you are interested in striker fired guns, and don't want a Glock, then I would look at the CZ P10c or the Beretta APX. IF you want a DA/SA gun, then I'd look at the Beretta PX4c or the CZ P7.

If you don't have any quality time with a DA/SA pistol, I would rent one first and shoot it a bit before you decide.

What he said. I'm too lazy to type it all out again.

Jared
08-13-2017, 06:34 PM

I'll third this.

Jared
08-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Don't forget White Sound HRED, Non-LCI SLB, Apex Extractor, and butt plug. :p

To the OP, all I'll say is that out of all the guns I've owned I've had the fewest issues with Berettas and CZs.

Some of the stuff that's been going on lately here on the forum got me to go back through my notes. My best two brands are Beretta and HK as far as stoppages. MRBS with those is right at 5000 per stoppage on those two and that includes some that were bad rounds when I was first getting used to my Dillon.

By contrast, my Glock MRBS is about 1200 rounds per stoppage, and that includes no bad rounds but does include one lemon of a G19 that went to the mother ship and came back fine.

Rex G
08-13-2017, 06:45 PM
I have carried many handguns, over time; quite a few of them 9mm. I will being going to work tonight, doing big-city police patrol, with a near-totally-stock Gen4 G19 pistol in my duty holster. The only option is the three-dot-pattern tritium night sights, which were installed at, and by, Glock, and a Tango Down grip plug, with which I am I unimpressed.

The "gadget," that is so well-regarded on this forum, has not been studied and OK'ed by the firearms training folks, legal department, and command staff, and as firearms policy applies to me, 24/7/365, I have no opinion regarding the "gadget." I could have modest grip/frame modifications done to my Glocks, but Gen4 pistols, with none of the added attachments, fit me well. Some of my Glocks have different sights. My Glocks do not throw ejected brass into my face, so I have no reason to change extractors or ejectors. Springs are stock. (Change-out, as necessary.)

A week from tonight, when I will be patrolling alone, and in the driver's seat, the adjustability of the seat* will allow me to carry something larger. I might wear the same duty rig, with the same G19 described above, or, a similarly-spec'ed G17, or, I might wear my alternate duty rig, carrying a John Harrison-customized Les Baer Premier II, a full-sized 1911 pistol. Wow, some difference! Well, no, a G19, G17, or high-end 1911 will probably get the job done, about equally well. The 1911 lets me "reach out and touch" a felon at longer range, if the lighting conditions allow my aging eyes to see well enough to make a difference. The Glocks, particularly the G19, clear the holster more quickly, and have accessory rails, to accomodate Surefire lights.

During personal time, for concealed carry, a G19 makes plenty of sense. Concealment holsters tend to position the weapon a bit higher than duty and field holsters, and my long arms and short waist mean that I need plenty of elbow room when clearing a longer pistol from a concealment holster. The longest pistol that I want to be clearing from an inside-the-trousers holster, during an urgent incident, is something about the size of a G19. So, unless wearing a field-type holster, under a full-cut concealment garment, guess what my usual personal-time carry gun is likely to be? (Well, it might be a revolver, or three, but this is the Semi-Auto section of the forum. ;) )

The double-column-magazine 9mm pistol that has my attention, should I decide to change systems, or add a system, is the Beretta PX4. See Ernest Langdon's excellent writing, here in the forum. I also like German-made SIG "classic" pistols, such as the P228 and P226, but I hesitate to recommend USA-made SIGs, manufactured since about 2004, because I do not know enough about the reported QC problems. I have owned a German-made P220, which I regret selling, and several P229 pistols, all .40, which I have stopped using, because, well, .40 Snap & Whip is unkind to my aging hands and wrists. (I have kept one .40 P229, my 2004 P229R DAK, because it was my reliable long-time duty pistol, a companion during some high adventure.)

When I resume private citizen status, probably some time next year, and am free to further accessorize, what will I do to modify my Glocks? Well, probably very little, except to experiment with electronic sight options.

*The front passenger seat of the current Ford Explorer-based ultra-compact compact station wagon patrol vehicle is a special level of hell, at least for those of us with long legs. To properly evaluate a new rookie, in each of the categories, however, I must let him drive, most of the time.

Joe in PNG
08-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Here's another way to go. Take a day, and visit your local merchants of death. Browse the used shelves, and see if you can spot any one of the following for around $400 or less:
-Glock 9mm
-CZ 75 9mm
-Beretta 92 or Px4
-Sig 2022
-H&K 9mm
If so, congrats, you have found your double stack auto platform.

gtae07
08-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Any of the brands David S. Mentioned are serviceable but the default answer is a Glock 19 unless you have XL or XXL hands, then a 17 or 26.

I have been considering a 17 as well; the longer sight radius appeals to me though the extra grip length might be a little harder to conceal (I go IWB around 3:30-4:00 in an MTAC). I'll have to see how they fit my hands. And maybe later I can pick up a used 26 and it'll fit the holster too.

We don't live near Atlanta (maybe again, one day, hopefully?) but we are up there regularly, for whatever that's worth.

The only DA/SA pistols I have any trigger time behind (that I recall anyway) are my Mosquito and PA-63. Oh, and my brother's CZ-82.

You live in Georgia. Your wife already has a G19. You've come across this forum (and incidentally the inventors of the gadget).

It's fate.

I'd also say another Glock. I'm a G26 fan, myself, but you can't go wrong laying in another G19, a bunch of extra mags and springs/parts and 2k ammo for your wife and you to run through the pair together. Very hard to argue against, unless you just have to have something different (like a Langdon Beretta). JMO.
Yeah, that's what it's sounding like...

Bigghoss
08-13-2017, 10:03 PM
I have been considering a 17 as well; the longer sight radius appeals to me though the extra grip length might be a little harder to conceal (I go IWB around 3:30-4:00 in an MTAC). I'll have to see how they fit my hands. And maybe later I can pick up a used 26 and it'll fit the holster too.

Yeah, that's what it's sounding like...

If I were begin my Glock journey again knowing what I know now, I would get two G19 gen 4's right now, one for training/practice and one for carry/defense plus support gear. As the budget allows I would add in a couple G26's or G43's if you prefer and then a pair of 34's for HD. Finally I would save up and get 3 17's and send them off to have the grips cut to take G19 mags and the slides milled for red dots. Then I would either send off the 19's for similar treatment or get a couple new ones. This would all be spread out over a few years of course. Ideally I would end up with 3 of everything. The first one if for carry/defense, the second is for training/practice/fun, and the third is ready to step in if I should ever have to use the first one and the police take it as evidence. But 3 of everything is a lot of redundancy so 2 would be fine and maybe even one of a few of them. Throw in a couple J-frames or LCR's and you'd be very well covered.

gtae07
08-14-2017, 05:27 AM
If I were begin my Glock journey again knowing what I know now, I would get two G19 gen 4's right now, one for training/practice and one for carry/defense plus support gear. As the budget allows I would add in a couple G26's or G43's if you prefer and then a pair of 34's for HD. Finally I would save up and get 3 17's and send them off to have the grips cut to take G19 mags and the slides milled for red dots. Then I would either send off the 19's for similar treatment or get a couple new ones. This would all be spread out over a few years of course. Ideally I would end up with 3 of everything. The first one if for carry/defense, the second is for training/practice/fun, and the third is ready to step in if I should ever have to use the first one and the police take it as evidence. But 3 of everything is a lot of redundancy so 2 would be fine and maybe even one of a few of them. Throw in a couple J-frames or LCR's and you'd be very well covered.

Yeah, I don't think I could get away with all of that :D But the general idea appeals to me.

I wish I had some IDPA/IPSC/3-gun/etc. available but they only hold those on Saturdays and I work weekends...

peterb
08-14-2017, 06:21 AM
If you do decide to become a Glock family, join the GSSF. The membership easily pays for itself with the purchase discount, and the matches are a great low-pressure introduction to shooting competitions.

Bucky
08-14-2017, 06:58 AM
If you liked the P320 and it was full size, maybe consider a Beretta APX. It's currently my favorite full size polymer.

gtae07
08-14-2017, 07:24 AM
If you liked the P320 and it was full size, maybe consider a Beretta APX. It's currently my favorite full size polymer.

No, it was a compact. I'd really considered getting a full size as well, or at least a full size conversion kit and using the compact grip on it. Now, if Glock had a 17/19 hybrid, or a way to swap grips without cutting on your serialized part... but I'll try both. It would be better if I could try both of them on in a holster but I don't think most shops will let you do that.

If you do decide to become a Glock family, join the GSSF. The membership easily pays for itself with the purchase discount, and the matches are a great low-pressure introduction to shooting competitions.
Oooh, that discount does look good, and we might do a family one just for that. Unfortunately the matches would still be a challenge given my work schedule.

Bigghoss
08-14-2017, 07:59 AM
No, it was a compact. I'd really considered getting a full size as well, or at least a full size conversion kit and using the compact grip on it. Now, if Glock had a 17/19 hybrid, or a way to swap grips without cutting on your serialized part... but I'll try both. It would be better if I could try both of them on in a holster but I don't think most shops will let you do that.

Oooh, that discount does look good, and we might do a family one just for that. Unfortunately the matches would still be a challenge given my work schedule.

Well I got a little carried away with that post. My main point is don't get a 17 before a 19, if at all. And that you should have one gun to shoot and one gun to carry. You and your wife can share the training gun if you can agree on sights.

gtae07
08-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Well I got a little carried away with that post. My main point is don't get a 17 before a 19, if at all. And that you should have one gun to shoot and one gun to carry. You and your wife can share the training gun if you can agree on sights.

Why dedicate one or the other? I get the idea of a spare, but why not rotate them?

PNWTO
08-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Why dedicate one or the other? I get the idea of a spare, but why not rotate them?

High mileage and low mileage. Put the training wear on a single gun, use the "carry" just enough to verify loads/sights/etc.

gtae07
08-14-2017, 08:53 AM
High mileage and low mileage. Put the training wear on a single gun.

Hmm.

I've always subscribed to the theory that machines are happier when used (but not abused!) regularly. At least, that seems to hold with cars, airplanes, and tools. But that also makes sense.

I guess I could get one, break it in, and then pick something else up next year as the new training gun.

psalms144.1
08-14-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm also a little limited on budget, but, if you get into GSSF, you'll be able to get one discounted GLOCK every year, IIRC. That will get the base price of your primary carry GLOCK into the $400 range. Use it for a year (unless you shoot THOUSANDS of rounds every month, you won't come close to "wearing it out") then get another with your next GSSF coupon. Voila! You and your wife have "carry" G19s, and you can share a training G19.

For ME, the G17 grip is "bigger enough" that it is significantly harder to conceal except in the winter, when the heavy coats and fleece vests come out of the closet.

The G26 is everything the G19 is, in a slightly smaller, easier to conceal package. It's not pocket carry small, but it will be easy to carry under an untucked T-shirt in an IWB holster. And, it feeds on the same magazines you use for your G19(s).

The G34 is for gaming, it would be the last of the family that I'd look at.

You could, very easily in my book, get away without having triplicates of everything - with a dedicated "training" G19, your wife's "Carry" G19, your "carry" G19/26/17 (whichever floats your boat), and a "gaming" G34.

FWIW - I DO NOT have a dedicated "training" G19, primarily because due to ammo and range restrictions in the little piece of hell where I live, I'm lucky to shoot 2,000 rounds a year through my G19. But, if I get approved for the two shooting schools I have scheduled for the end of this year (3-4K per week each), I'll be buying a new "duty" G19 when I'm done, and my current G19 will become my dedicated trainer. In the interim, if my primary G19 breaks or ends up in an evidence locker, I have a G17 (primary HD pistol) to take its place for duty, and a G26 for off duty.

Anyway, that's a whole lotta GLOCKing in the above. If you don't like GLOCKs (and that's perfectly OK!), I'd look at the Px4C or the P07 as alternatives.

PNWTO
08-14-2017, 08:57 AM
I guess I could get one, break it in, and then pick something else up next year as the new training gun.

First, I don't really believe in "breaking in" any firearms anymore, just roll with it. Secondly, I know the primary/secondary set for handguns is promoted here but I would say you can temper it with your intended training volume and/or budget. If you know you're going to 500+ rounds monthly, a dedicated training gun is definitely your best bet. But, if you know you're realistically only going to burn a case annually, then I would offer you're probably okay with a single gun.

holmes168
08-14-2017, 09:09 AM
any thoughts on a breakdown on % of rounds live fired?
My situation is moving to a home defense G17 with a backup/trainer.
Either a G19 or 26 for carry. I've got a backup carry already but will be purchasing a new carry and a trainer.
My current thought is 60-65% on trainer.
Followed by 20-25% on primary carry.
Home defense trainer 15% and the rest on primary home defense.
Those are rough estimates. Range trips are between 200-300 rounds but I want to basically come up with a 250 limit during live fire.
Dry fire would be about the same breakdown.
Not trying to drift the thread as I think many, including the OP, can get some much needed information.

RJ
08-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Just buy a G17/G19 and shoot it enough until you've figured out what it doesn't do for you that you think you want it to do and then at that point consider addressing it.

I kinda wish ida paid attention to this in 2014 when I took up shooting.

scw2
08-14-2017, 09:13 AM
The G34 is for gaming, it would be the last of the family that I'd look at.

Is there a significant difference between the G34 and G17 that would lead you to recommend the 17 over the 34 for carry/HD? I know there are some size differences. Have never tried carrying either so just asking out of ignorance here...

RJ
08-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Just FYI, on the Glock Discount Pistol Purchase Program, you need to be a GSSF member for a year, at least as I read it:

http://www.gssfonline.com/gssf_pistol_purchase_program_information.pdf

RJ
08-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Here's another way to go. Take a day, and visit your local merchants of death. Browse the used shelves, and see if you can spot any one of the following for around $400 or less:
-Glock 9mm
-CZ 75 9mm
-Beretta 92 or Px4
-Sig 2022
-H&K 9mm
If so, congrats, you have found your double stack auto platform.

Very good advice.

I would also recommend trying to find a rental of whatever ends up on your short list, and shoot it over at least a couple sessions.

As a very new shooter myself, I've learned handling/fondling does not equal shooting.

I'm in the process of contemplating getting another 'one size fits all' pistol this fall.

For me, my short list includes:

List of Options

CZ P07C
VP9*
HK P30SK*
HK P2000
HK USPc
Beretta PX4 CC
G19 w SCD

* are the two pistols I own now. I no longer own my M&P Full Size 9 (first purchase) or Walther PPS M2 (third purchase).

Duelist
08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
any thoughts on a breakdown on % of rounds live fired?
My situation is moving to a home defense G17 with a backup/trainer.
Either a G19 or 26 for carry. I've got a backup carry already but will be purchasing a new carry and a trainer.
My current thought is 60-65% on trainer.
Followed by 20-25% on primary carry.
Home defense trainer 15% and the rest on primary home defense.
Those are rough estimates. Range trips are between 200-300 rounds but I want to basically come up with a 250 limit during live fire.
Dry fire would be about the same breakdown.
Not trying to drift the thread as I think many, including the OP, can get some much needed information.

I have two thoughts on this. Both could be logical, depending on your point of view.

If starting from zero, and you can only get one gun, then that is your trainer/defender/dry firer/everything gun. Shoot, train, whatever. Put at least 2k rounds (really, whatever number gives you warm fuzzies that is at least a few hundred) through that gun while saving for a second gun. Assuming the first gun works out, has no issues, you decide to stick with that model, when you've saved enough, buy the second gun. Clean and lube the first one, and carry the first one. Shoot, dry fire, train, compete, whatever with the second one until you've got at least 2k rounds through that one.

Now, you should have two vetted guns. They both work. Pick one to carry and for HD. Clean and lube, put carry rounds in mags. Only shoot that one when you rotate the carry ammo once or twice a year. Do all other shooting/training/dry fire/competing with the other gun. If the trainer has a functioning or part problem, use the carry gun till you repair or replace it. If the carry gun gets used in a shooting and taken into evidence for an undetermined length of time, carry the trainer till you can get a new one.

If you can get a second (or third) one up front, then the process is a little different b/c you have to vett two or three. The first one is the carry/HD gun, then the spare, then the trainer.

The key thing is, if this is your carry gun, these are as close to identical as can be done: same grip, trigger, sights, mags, holsters.

Do we expect things to break? Yes and no. Guns are "durable goods." They should last a long time. But parts do wear, and eventually, things will break. When they do, it's nice to not be without a gun to use while the broken one gets repaired.

Edit to finish:

Or get a carry gun, like a G26, and an HD gun, like a G17 or G34. Use the little one for carry, the big one for HD/competing/training. Each can be pressed into the other's role, but both are a bit more optimal for a specific role. If finances and interest allow, eventually you might get spares. Or not.

EricM
08-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Just FYI, on the Glock Discount Pistol Purchase Program, you need to be a GSSF member for a year, at least as I read it:

http://www.gssfonline.com/gssf_pistol_purchase_program_information.pdf

If you initially purchase a two-year membership (or longer), you do not have to wait.

Bigghoss
08-14-2017, 10:33 AM
If you want to know more about "one gun for carry, one gun to shoot" it was discussed pretty well here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27053-anyone-here-only-own-one-pistol-and-don-t-want-more

gtae07
08-14-2017, 11:36 AM
First, I don't really believe in "breaking in" any firearms anymore, just roll with it. Secondly, I know the primary/secondary set for handguns is promoted here but I would say you can temper it with your intended training volume and/or budget. If you know you're going to 500+ rounds monthly, a dedicated training gun is definitely your best bet. But, if you know you're realistically only going to burn a case annually, then I would offer you're probably okay with a single gun.

I still want to function-check them though, and for my own personal comfort I won't carry anything until I've put a couple hundred rounds through it (including at least 100 of my chosen defensive round). And at the moment, discounting the P320, that leaves me with only a P3AT! Plan to fix that tomorrow...

Realistically I'm looking at about 100 rounds/month myself (average from this year), and another 50-100/month for my wife, discounting rimfire and rifle stuff, at least for the time being. We also use a laser training device and CO2 pistols because I know how we are; we're more likely to actually use those than to routinely do "standard" dry fire.

I could afford to buy the matched set now, I guess, but with some medical bills and a 10th anniversary trip coming up (and an airplane engine to buy) I'm trying to manage the cash flow.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone, though. It's given me a few things to think about. Thinking strongly about the family GSSF membership; if we do a life one, might as well put our toddler on there too...

gtae07
08-14-2017, 12:55 PM
What you called "break-in" most around here would call "vetting". In this case they are the same thing. :)

Well, and a couple hundred rounds plus a couple hundred more dry fires seems to help deburr some of the trigger parts and all that. And then you can flush all that out with another good cleaning...

holmes168
08-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Also, this isn't any sort of "PF elitist prick" answer/advice. It's the "you'll spend a lot less money (and be a better shooter) if you follow it" answer/advice. :cool:

Tom- I wholeheartedly agree as a new shooter trying to find their way. I wish I'd just stayed with Glocks and figured out what I was doing before chasing the next pistol. Would have been cheaper.

RJ
08-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Tom- I wholeheartedly agree as a new shooter trying to find their way. I wish I'd just stayed with Glocks and figured out what I was doing before chasing the next pistol. Would have been cheaper.

To put a slightly different angle on what Tom_Jones stated, don't forget the part he said about taking a class or three from a competent instructor.

I am pretty sure if I go look at my training log, I shot perhaps 2,500+ rounds through my rental M&P FS9. I did not learn a damned thing by doing so.

What really worked for me to put everything together was a fantastic 2 day weekend taking Tom_Givens Rangemaster's Combative Pistol Course. I just kinda wished I'd taken it in 2014, not 2017.

11B10
08-14-2017, 04:55 PM
To put a slightly different angle on what Tom_Jones stated, don't forget the part he said about taking a class or three from a competent instructor.

I am pretty sure if I go look at my training log, I shot perhaps 2,500+ rounds through my rental M&P FS9. I did not learn a damned thing by doing so.

What really worked for me to put everything together was a fantastic 2 day weekend taking Tom_Givens Rangemaster's Combative Pistol Course. I just kinda wished I'd taken it in 2014, not 2017.

Rich, the good news is that you took the class. You're way ahead of many.

gtae07
08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Yep. Took a class earlier this year, and aiming for a second one sometime this fall (working weekends makes that a little harder).

gtae07
08-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Just to close this out, we picked up a bog-standard G19.4 today. Taking it out tomorrow to break it in, then just waiting for my MTAC shell to arrive. Using the LC9s in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice everyone!