PDA

View Full Version : Who is buying the m&p 1.0's that are going up for cheap? If so, great deal on barrels

Westtexasrancher
08-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Hey yall.
So as you might know, there are some killer deals right now for m&p 1.0's new and used. I bought a used compact 9 and used FS 9 this month, both with new Trijicon HD's AND extra mags, for less than the price of a canik pistol each. I have 2 apex sears in route, and this morning I was searching for a replacement barrel for the FS, not specifically threaded but threaded would be nice for my sico hybrid. Anyways, after some searching I ran across Silencerco M&P barrels at Brownells. The FS 9mm threaded barrel was only 140 bucks, and there is a 10 dollar off coupon right now (and possibly others floating around). It turns out these are KKM barrels with a nitride finish and silencerco engraving (and these are 250 with a couple month wait time from KKM). Hell of a deal, for $134 you can get one coming your way. I don't know if we're supposed to post links, but just search on brownells.

Who else has picked up cheap 1.0's since the 2.0 came out? Already vetted platform, throw in a sear and possibly a barrel and have a hell of a good pistol for cheap. I wanted a m&p, was going to get a 2.0 but after all the issues I have seen, and the fact that I don't buy guns immediately after release (I don't want to beta test), started looking for 1.0's. Turns out there are a LOT of people and companies both selling new and used M&P's for great prices.

Anyone else taking advantage of this? Go look if you are interested, you will find great deals.

LE/MIL, there are new m&p's for 250 bucks after rebate from a couple of places.

mrozowjj
08-11-2017, 10:09 AM
I haven't but I am thinking about it. My major hesitance is I don't really "need" a new pistol and I'm not exactly going to swtich platforms right now.

ranger
08-11-2017, 11:44 AM
If I was in the market for a Service size pistol I would certainly consider the deals on new and used M&P right now or the deals on the 2.0.

SecondsCount
08-11-2017, 12:18 PM
I haven't but I am thinking about it. My major hesitance is I don't really "need" a new pistol and I'm not exactly going to swtich platforms right now.

I am in the same boat...more shooting and less gun buying is my 2017 goal. Deals be damned! :cool:

Gadfly
08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Have a friend who is probably selling me his 4" 2.0 9mm w thumb safety. With night sights and box/papers... I don't NEED it. I don't NEED any more guns ever. But, I hated the mushy 1.0 trigger, and I like the 2.0 much better... I traded off my 1.0 pistol, but kept all the holsters and mags, just in case.

It too low a price not to jump on it and try it some more. At worst, I have a nice option to trade if I don't like it.

richiecotite
08-11-2017, 02:10 PM
I imagine the situation with M&P 40's (and 9's to a lesser extent) will be the same as K frame 38's a decade or so ago...i'd love to buy 4 or 5 just to throw in the safe and have for trade fodder later on

JonInWA
08-11-2017, 02:53 PM
I'll be sticking with the platforms I've already got. The M&Ps in general, and Smith & Wesson's seeming inabilities to comprehensively fix their various maladies over the years (particularly, but not exclusively over the years the 9mm M&Ps) would make me only slightly more inclined to pick any M&P, particularly a 1.0 (and definitely not a 9mm one) over, say, a SIG P320 right now...

Best, Jon

LockedBreech
08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
I have an M&P 40 and I've owned an M&P 9 Shield, and I just cannot, for the life of me, shoot well with the hinged trigger. My fault, not theirs.

Westtexasrancher
08-11-2017, 03:09 PM
I got into them knowing I would just put a 40 dollar sear in them and have good triggers. I will have the sears before I even pick them up. So I don't count that as a strike against them, seeing as I spend money on glock triggers immediately too. Though I will probably put the fancy apex trigger blades on them too, if I don't like the hinge.

And if you look for the policr tradein 40s, they are crazy cheap too (all 40s, sigs, hk, etc) right now. I just about bought some 40s to convert until I started seeing good 9mm deals.

Westtexasrancher
08-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Disregard

DamonL
08-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Locally, I see used M&P's going for under $400. I paid $350 for a FS Gen 1 9mm with thumb safety. It had the old 1/16 sear spring housing which I replaced. The part cost $50 and was out of stock at all the usual places. I found the correct part on EBay. Now I can install an Apex trigger kit. I have only test fired it and found the trigger to be pretty heavy. I will eventually test for accuracy and if poor, I will invest in a barrel. The sights are the original Novak's with dim tritium and may need replacing too. So my bargain may be expensive in the long run. I knew this going in after reading all the threads here. I am starting to think of the M&P as the 1911 of striker fired pistols.

Trooper224
08-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Given the performance seen in two 2.0s recently purchased by a fellow troop, you know the one that was supposed to fix the problems of the 1.0, you couldn't give me an M&P of any vintage. Sadly, considering the issues I've also seen with new S&W revolvers, I can't get behind S&W at all these days.

Gadfly
08-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Given the performance seen in two 2.0s recently purchased by a fellow troop, you know the one that was supposed to fix the problems of the 1.0, you couldn't give me an M&P of any vintage.

What are the 2.0 problems you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nightstalker865
08-11-2017, 07:47 PM
So with the new 2.0's selling for $399, why would anyone pay $350 for a gen 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westtexasrancher
08-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Vetted vs troubled. Easy. Some folks don't want to beta test a new gun for issues that should have been caught before it was released. Early adopters deal with loads more crap than everyone else.

Westtexasrancher
08-11-2017, 09:04 PM
And I spent less than that, with new trijicon HDs and spare mags (my personal case). You can do much better than 350! It was tough not buying a 2.0...until I started researching and seeing all the issues popping up after a k or two.

ffhounddog
08-11-2017, 09:08 PM
I am in the market for a M&P 40 for my Sig P320.

Wake27
08-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Also wondering.

For the OP, I haven't seen much on the SilencerCo barrels, but what I have seen wasn't great IIRC. Just because KKM makes it doesn't mean its KKM spec'd. Whether or not its better than stock may be hard to say.

ETA - nevermind, looks like it has decent performance. That's tempting...

willie
08-11-2017, 09:44 PM
If memory serves me right, the 1.0 Compact version has always had very good/excellent accuracy.

About S&W's unfortunate track record of not getting it right over and again. Can anybody here put forth plausible reasons for their continued failure?

Hot Sauce
08-11-2017, 10:41 PM
If memory serves me right, the 1.0 Compact version has always had very good/excellent accuracy.Correct on all counts. It is often overlooked because of its big brother has a rep for having a host of issues.

andre3k
08-11-2017, 10:50 PM
I picked up a 9mm 2.0 and shot it today for the first time. So far I'm really liking the new textured grip and the trigger is adequate out of the box. I never shot the first generation M&P so I can't make any comparisons. Surprisingly, compared to my Glocks I don't feel the instant need to upgrade the 2.0.

Trooper224
08-11-2017, 10:53 PM

The same lack of accuracy commonly encountered in the 1st gen. guns. He bought a 5" and a 4.5". Both exhibited great accuracy until about eight hundred rounds total had been fired through both guns. After that, the same old same: four to six inch groups at twenty five yards. The shorter gun also started to rattle like a can full of rocks. One of the guns also started exhibiting peening of the forward edge of the barrel hood, but I can't remember which one. He called S&W and was informed that he could send the guns back, but likely nothing would be done as everything sounded "in spec". He was also given the line about "combat accuracy".

andre3k
08-11-2017, 11:10 PM
If that's the case I have about 400 rounds to go. We shall see.

Kyle Reese
08-12-2017, 06:22 AM
No way would I gamble on a Gen1 9mm M&P. I had far too many accuracy problems with the five or six that I owned to ever consider them again.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

coN
08-12-2017, 12:35 PM
The same lack of accuracy commonly encountered in the 1st gen. guns. He bought a 5" and a 4.5". Both exhibited great accuracy until about eight hundred rounds total had been fired through both guns. After that, the same old same: four to six inch groups at twenty five yards. The shorter gun also started to rattle like a can full of rocks. One of the guns also started exhibiting peening of the forward edge of the barrel hood, but I can't remember which one. He called S&W and was informed that he could send the guns back, but likely nothing would be done as everything sounded "in spec". He was also given the line about "combat accuracy".

My personal (anecdotal) data here, Im at 3100+ with my (9mm) 2.0 and havent encountered the same issue as the two 9mms 1.0's ive owned. I went ahead and bought it after various forums tested it and Randy Lee confirmed tolerances were tightened up with the lockup. Did he ever send the pistols back?

richiecotite
08-12-2017, 12:55 PM
No way would I gamble on a Gen1 9mm M&P. I had far too many accuracy problems with the five or six that I owned to ever consider them again.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I had a total of 6 first gens. The 5" guns I had were pretty solid, but 2 of the 4 FS I couldn't be sure if it was me or the Gun.

Shot back to back with the VP9 I also have, it was the Gun.

HCM
08-12-2017, 01:25 PM
With M&P .40's available as $269 trade ins, I would rather drop a 9mm conversion barrel in than roll the dice with a 9mm.

BTW - AIM has M&P 45's for $299. No accuracy issues with the .45s.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
08-12-2017, 02:02 PM

That right there sounds alot like that famous S&W customer service I hear so much about...

Have to say I agree with your sentiments regarding S&W as a whole.

Westtexasrancher
08-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Shooting the 9c tomorrow , shooting the FS with sico barrel next weekend when it comes (and some with the factory barrel out of curiosity. So I should have neither crappy accuracy nor crappy triggers to contend with since my sears come Tuesday.

Those 40s with conversion barrels are good ideas too.

MK11
08-12-2017, 05:23 PM
FWIW, the apex tactical barrels work as advertised in solving the 9mm accuracy issues. If you're thinking of going .40 to get a .40 and 9mm capability, cool. But if you're getting a .40 just to drop in a conversion barrel, get a 9mm and upgrade with the Apex barrel.

Trooper224
08-12-2017, 07:58 PM
My personal (anecdotal) data here, Im at 3100+ with my (9mm) 2.0 and havent encountered the same issue as the two 9mms 1.0's ive owned. I went ahead and bought it after various forums tested it and Randy Lee confirmed tolerances were tightened up with the lockup. Did he ever send the pistols back?

No, he sold them off. There's no real point to sending them back when the company pretty much issues a denial and tells you the guns are in spec without even having them in hand. I love vintage S&W guns, but I won't touch anything new from them. My experiences with current S&W production amount to seeing lots of new revolvers in a Bullseye League I ran for the last ten years, far too many of which had major manufacturing defects one would expect from Taurus. Also, the local City PD, a fairly large agency, returned all of their M&Ps to S&W for all of the common QC issues we've heard about and went Glock. Now this issue with my partners two brand new guns. Hardly a judgement based on a sample of one or two. S&W just isn't worth a damn anymore.

Nephrology
08-12-2017, 10:52 PM
I bought one of the M&P45s so I would have a 10rd handgun and a .45 platform for travel to visit family in CT. Have been happy with it at my relatively low roundcount. I carry a 9mm Glock otherwise.

willie
08-13-2017, 04:36 AM
I'd buy the compact version in a second if the price were right. We must remember that our purchase will have low sale and resale value. I regret that S&W is having such difficulty, and I continue to fret about my favorite manufacturer. We have men on this forum who could have guided them to a different outcome if they worked there.

dwcopple
08-13-2017, 08:59 AM
With M&P .40's available as $269 trade ins, I would rather drop a 9mm conversion barrel in than roll the dice with a 9mm.

BTW - AIM has M&P 45's for $299. No accuracy issues with the .45s.

You don't need a conversion barrel for M&P's. The plain 9mm barrel works fine. Not sure how accurate though :rolleyes:

Westtexasrancher
08-13-2017, 09:25 AM
So I just went to make sure a 14.5" upper I built will run (on a pistol lower) before I pin and weld it, and shot a couple of mags through the 9c afterwards just cuz. I very much like it so far. Looking forward to a real range session next week. I enjoyed it more than shooting a g26.

HCM
08-13-2017, 10:45 AM
You don't need a conversion barrel for M&P's. The plain 9mm barrel works fine. Not sure how accurate though :rolleyes:

It may function but Apex and Storm Lake make conversion barrels for a reason. If I wanted crapshoot accuracy I would just buy an M&P 9 for $299.

Gadfly
08-13-2017, 08:47 PM
I was weak... it was a good deal. @500 rounds, with new TFX sights... trigger is much better than the 1.0...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/23b3451eb75ced87e2e074457cccd604.jpg

Westtexasrancher
08-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Congrats!

Westtexasrancher
08-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Boy I am not seeing what all the bitching about the triggers is. This trigger is fine and dandy without an apex sear. From someone who prefers glocks, it is not bad at all. I expected much worse.

Gadfly
08-16-2017, 08:49 PM
I shot it... Only about 100 rounds. But the trigger on the 2.0 is head and shoulders better than the 1.0 I had. I installed a Apex Reset Assist Mechanism (RAM) and a performance center sear, and the 1.0 trigger still was mushy crap.

The stock 2.0 trigger is good right out of the box. Better than many stock glocks. Thumb safety is decent. Distinct click on/off. Lower profile than the 1.0 levers. But, the safety doesn't do much. It blocks movement of the trigger bar only. No contact with slide or sear. There is so much play between the parts, that even when the safety is on, you can move the trigger about a third to half the distance. I can see not realizing the safety is on, feeling the trigger move, and wondering where the bang is. Tap and rack would follow, and the trigger would still move but not enough to allow a shot. I would prefer a safety that locked up the gun. Zero trigger movement and zero slide movement like on the 1911. There is zero question when a 1911 safety is locked in place. With the M&P, there could be confusion.

I know, I know "we'll train more on using the safety"... yes, I know. Just stating my preference.

Not sure if the TS will stay in the gun... or maybe it will.... still debating.

Westtexasrancher
08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
About 200 through the 9c and 300 through the FS with Sico barrel. Both are very accurate (didn't even try the factory FS barrel yet). I was pinging 100yd silhouettes at 100 easier than I can with most other pistols with the FS, and even had a few hits with the 9c. Could have done better but my shoulders were so sore that it was tough holding the pistols up for very long (due to astronaut rescue training, no shit) At 50 yards, silhouettes were almost easy with both. I was doing well on 5" dueling tree plates at 30 yards with the FS, I cleaned 6 in a row and came close a couple other times, I was thinking it was 20 yards until I used my rangefinder and then I was VERY impressed. For me, that is wonderful.

I did have one FTF with the FS...not sure what caused it, as I tap/racked/banged it into the tall grass and didn't try to find it. Otherwise, so far so good.

The thread protector comes loose too often, so I ended up leaving it off. Trying to decide if some sort of o-ring or something else will help with that. Or locate a spanner that fits it.

So my early points:
9c is awesome
FS is awesome
Apex sear is great (FS might get the whole treatment, though)
Sico (kkm) barrel is VERY accurate
Trijicon HD's are the bidness and any pistol I buy will wear them
9c shoots like a larger gun, FS shoots very flat in my hand. Adding talon grips though, they are little smooth for me.
I am shooting the 9c well, and the FS better than I have with other FS pistols. It could be "new gun syndrome", but I didn't shoot that well with my PPQ and 1911 that were new guns earlier this year.

tcba_joe
08-23-2017, 12:46 PM
LE/MIL, there are new m&p's for 250 bucks after rebate from a couple of places.
OP, where are you seeing these deals?

Guy at work begged to buy mine last week. (We're MIL).

Any long slides?

Westtexasrancher
08-23-2017, 01:02 PM
use gunwatcher and gun.deals to find them....I always keep an eye on gun.deals as most is useless but often there are killer deals posted. Sorry, but I can't remember where they were.

Westtexasrancher
08-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Sico barrels still on sale at brownells, with free shipping

dwcopple
08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
FYI Cabelas has the M&P 9 1.0 on sale for $349 in store and there are $20 off $150+ coupons floating around. $329 and the rebate offer make this a good option for someone that likes M&P's.

ranger
08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
FYI Cabelas has the M&P 9 1.0 on sale for $349 in store and there are $20 off $150+ coupons floating around. $329 and the rebate offer make this a good option for someone that likes M&P's.

Plus if you have a .mil ID another 5% off.

dwcopple
08-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Plus if you have a .mil ID another 5% off.

Welp, I caved and bought one. Cost me $297 out of pocket by using a $20 off coupon and discounted gift cards from giftcardzen.com. I just filled out the rebate form for the two mags/ammo/loader (which I'll sell as I have a Maglula). So I will have an M&P9 made 6/20/17 with four mags and some defensive ammo for less than $300. Far less depending on what those loaders are actually selling for on eBay right now ;)

Sherman A. House DDS
08-30-2017, 08:49 PM
For the record, I have a WELL FUNCTIONING M&P 2.0, but my EDC and training guns are 1.0's. I dig them.

Westtexasrancher
09-20-2017, 12:36 AM
Still loving the m&ps. Had an eye-opening experience today. I shot 5 round groups at 5, 10, 15, 25 yards using the m&p 9c, the full size with the sico barrel, and the full size with the factory barrel. The compacts groups were almost identical to the full size. The factory barrel shoots just as well as the silencerco barrel. Yes, the factory m&p barrel. It DOES shoot about 2" low at 25 yards. I know it is the barrel, because I was swapping barrels every 5 rounds. The silencerco barrel shot to point of aim, swap in the factory barrel and it was 2" low, repeated 4 times. Not sure if it's just how the trijicon HD's regulate or what, but the 9c with HD's shot poi/poa, the FS with sico barrel and HD's shot poi/poa, the FS with factory barrel and HD's shot low.

25 yard groups with the 9c were basically no different than the full size, which blew me away, because I am LOVING carrying this pistol (glock 26s in my hands look like a blind man was shooting them in comparison). It also shoots as fast as the full size does, as far as just getting rounds on target. The only difference I noticed, was when I was going balls to the wall, my shots with the FS were consistently a MUCH smaller group than balls to the wall with the 9c.

5, 5-round groups, fast as I could (while keeping in a "torso" sized target") with the FS, gave me smaller groups than any glock I've ever owned, or any other pistol for that matter, even my DW valor bob. I thought it was a fluke, but it kept repeating. I am so impressed with both of these pistols. I am a m&p fella, it's settled.

Or maybe it's the bob vogel panteao video I watched before going to the range :cool: Either way, I love the m&p. Want to get a pro now, and a 2.0.

Hot Sauce
09-20-2017, 12:49 AM
For what it's worth, my 9c is on my short list of "never sell pistols." Doesn't mean every single one of them will work as well as mine, and I have had one I loved less. But I've basically been waiting for S&W to give me that same gun as my 9c in a bigger package for a decade. We'll see if the 2.0 9c will be just that.

Bigghoss
09-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Went out Sunday and shot my M&P45 fullsize along with my G21, G22, and Ruger P97DC. I did best with the bone stock M&P both shooting for groups and shooting at speed but I did forget to install the lighter hammer spring I got for the P97. Really makes me want to get more M&Ps. I was very close to ordering a LEO trade-in .40 fullsize over the weekend. But I also already have the support gear for the G22 and recoilgunworks has Gen 4s for $350.