PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Mossberg 590A1

Lon
08-08-2017, 10:25 PM
I wanna hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I want a pump gun that has a lot of logistic support (stocks, etc.), but I'm not a fan of recent Remington production guns. So I'm interested in the 590A1 since it's available with options I like (chokes, ghost rings and MP stock availability). I have little experience w Mossy shotguns other than test firing them.

What don't I know that I need to know? I know the mossberg factory safety sucks and there's an aftermarket one available. What else?

Are they easy to take apart? I've had an 870 apart (and further than just taking barrel off) more times than I can count for reference.

SpyderMan2k4
08-08-2017, 10:59 PM
500s have plastic safeties but the 590a1 has a metal one, so it won't have the breakage issue. That being said, the Vang Comp safety is awesome.

They are easy to take apart, easy to clean. Nothing is welded to the receiver, unlike 870s, so it's all user serviceable. The factory mag springs are garbage, as are (most) factory followers. Definitely get an upgraded follower and spring. Offerings from Vang and S&J hardware are both great.

Because of the receiver design, Mossbergs with the same LOP and barrel length as 870s are a little over an inch shorter overall. The only issue I've really had with mine is the bolt lug cutout in the barrel had sharp edges, so long rounds would get hung up on it. Rounding it off slightly fixed it.

I put thousands of rounds through my 590 in hopes it would get as smooth as my 870 with far fewer rounds - it never did.

Aftermarket support is solid and it's tough to go wrong with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lon
08-08-2017, 11:32 PM
So replace spring and follower. Check.

greyghost
08-08-2017, 11:42 PM
The 590A1 also has a metal trigger group and a thick-walled barrel. Those things may or may not matter to you.

Permethrin
08-08-2017, 11:47 PM
these parts have worked quite well on my 590a1s

https://sjhardware.us/product/mossberg-590a1-2-mag-extension/

http://shop.hahn-precision.com/Oversized-Safety-MOS0212.htm

be careful about losing the little BB detent when replacing the safety.
getting the bolt and other parts in correct alignment during reassembly was a bit finicky the first few times, but is easy now.

greyghost
08-08-2017, 11:53 PM
The Army's TM 9-1005-338-13&P is a good reference for armorer level maintenance.

Fordtough25
08-09-2017, 04:31 AM
Have one in 18.5" and 20", both function 100% with all of the loads I've had. All metal parts, thick barrel, robust action, hard to beat for me. I dig the safety and action release button location for my use.

Bigghoss
08-09-2017, 06:19 AM
The 590A1 barrel adds a fair bit of weight to the front of the gun. Helps a small bit with recoil but makes reloading drills very tiring. Magpul SGA furniture is the tits so get that stuff.

voodoo_man
08-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Used an a1 on duty for years.

Works well if it's kept up with and while I did not do anything aftermarket to it, it has a lot of options available.

It held up through a lot of hard use and sitting in a patrol vehicle through various temp and conditions.

I'd recommend one.

ST911
08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Metal safety button (A1 should have one)
Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
High-vis follower
Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw
Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator
Run a premium lubricant or CLP

Lon
08-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Thanks everyone.

Trooper224
08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
We've been using the 590A1 for about three or four years now and they're raving pieces of shit. The humorously large ghost ring sights are impossible to use with any kind of accuracy past a few yards. We've had quite a few front sights fly off, as well as a few front sight bases where the soldering failed. Mine had to have the extractor and the lifter replaced as they were defective and the gun would routinely try to feed the shell down through the feed port, jamming it up bigger than the great outdoors. There are other problems, but I just don't feel like typing a novel. I'd never spend my own money on one and really wish I had my old issued Benelli back.

psalms144.1
08-09-2017, 10:37 AM
We're issued 500s, and I'm not a fan, compared to 870s. As pointed out above, the action on the Mossberg is NOTHING like the action on even a cheap 870 "express." We've had shooters bend the action bars on the range to the point where the whole shebang had to go back to our HQ armorers for replacement.

Way back in the 2008-09ish timeframe, I bought a then new-to-market 930. The problems with that gun were many and varied, including a front sight that was so far off center that you couldn't see the front sight post through the rear ghost ring at all. I got a replacement barrel from Mossberg after about three weeks of back and forth with their CS. With the new barrel installed, the shotgun wouldn't feed at all. Eventually the SG went back to Mossberg, on their dime. After a month had past with no contact, I asked for a status. Despite me having delivery confirmation from FEDEX, they stated they'd never received the shotgun. Another couple weeks of arguing with CS and they finally admitted it was their fault - and sent me a replacement. To my knowledge, the original shotgun has never been located. The replacement had straight sights, but still was a malfunctioning POS with all ammo I tried. Rather than go through the nightmare again, I sold it, at a steep loss, with full disclosure of the issues I was having. At that point I swore I'd never buy another Mossberg product again.

Michael
08-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I used one and mine help 9 12 gauge rounds, stolidly made shotgun.

willie
08-10-2017, 12:57 AM
Mossberg has its share of quality control issues like other manufacturers. I had two new 590a1s malfunction out of the box, but Mossberg sent me replacement shell latches that solved the problem. I would choose one over today's 870. Consider getting the version without the high profile adjustible sights. The a1 version's metal safety is a worthwhile up grade, but I see little advantage with the metal trigger guard. The lighter 590 is a good alternative, and you could upgrade the safety yourself. The a1's heavier
barrel is a Navy specification for protection against banging barrels on metal structures aboard ship.

pangloss
08-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Buying a used 870P is a perfectly viable option if you don't want a current production gun. There are some on Gunbroker right now for about $300. I'm struggling to resist buying another one.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

willie
08-11-2017, 03:20 PM
A very nice man, who will likely answer the phone, owns this business http://summitgunbroker.com
He often has good deals on police trade ins at reasonable prices. Check here for a nice shotgun.

Sal Picante
08-11-2017, 03:45 PM
I loathe the shot gun.

That said, I've got a 590 with the full kit from Robar. Smooth, reliable... I like it.
Ghost rings on mine are accurate (with Brenake slugs) to ~75 yards.

No choke, plastic trigger works fine...

SeriousStudent
08-11-2017, 06:44 PM
A very nice man, who will likely answer the phone, owns this business http://summitgunbroker.com
He often has good deals on police trade ins at reasonable prices. Check here for a nice shotgun.

Mark is a good guy.

He'll be happy to sell you a used 870P that is mechanically sound for about $250. Just clean it up and then add a new mag spring. I have bought two from him with no issues.

willie
08-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Les, did the Robar treatment make the 590 noticeably smoother?

willie
08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm back to share a trick that I learned about the Mossberg 500 series that includes 590 and 590a1. When trying to smooth the Mossberg action, I discovered that swapping out the elevator or shell lifter was the key. Luckily I had a couple in my parts bin. On one occasion I accomplished my aim by changing elevators from one gun to the other. I got the idea by replacing the trigger bar in Glocks to achieve better trigger pulls.

I'm providing a link to a place in Missouri that specializes in Mossberg parts and service in addition to other gun stuff. If you call, the owner will talk with you to figure out what you need. Parts are cheaper than other places, and shipping is most reasonable. havlinsales

MontWyDaho
08-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Lon,
I took a brand new 590a1spx out of the box, checked it for basic function and safety, and ran it through a Defensive Shotgun class of about 120 rounds, and it ran without issue. Another option to a good used 870P would be an older/Pre-Cerberus 870 Wingmaster.

voodoo_man
08-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Lon,
I took a brand new 590a1spx out of the box, checked it for basic function and safety, and ran it through a Defensive Shotgun class of about 120 rounds, and it ran without issue. Another option to a good used 870P would be an older/Pre-Cerberus 870 Wingmaster.

I've been eyeballing one these...

MontWyDaho
08-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Voodoo_Man,
I installed a QR socket on the back side of the bayonet mount (it's a pre-threaded hole, I just had to find the right screw) and I epoxied a QR socket into the stock for my Vicker's sling... the 8 round tube is ample, and the factory ported barrel seems to help... I also cut off about 1.5 inches of the stock to reduce the OAL and improve handling.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-spx-50771/

voodoo_man
08-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Voodoo_Man,
I installed a QR socket on the back side of the bayonet mount (it's a pre-threaded hole, I just had to find the right screw) and I epoxied a QR socket into the stock for my Vicker's sling... the 8 round tube is ample, and the factory ported barrel seems to help... I also cut off about 1.5 inches of the stock to reduce the OAL and improve handling.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-spx-50771/

Nice idea.

This is the one I was eyeballing, the speedfeed stock is something I like.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-xs-ghost-ring-sights-4stock-51771/

MontWyDaho
08-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Nice idea.

This is the one I was eyeballing, the speedfeed stock is something I like.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-xs-ghost-ring-sights-4stock-51771/

Shells in the stock, plus rail sections on the forend for a light... Nice.

voodoo_man
08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Shells in the stock, plus rail sections on the forend for a light... Nice.

just add light and micro rds and you've got an excellent trunk gun ;)

Lon
08-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Those are a couple of the models I liked. Still undecided. Are there replacement front sight options for those? I really like the sights and rails for a RDS, which I'd have to add to an old 870P if I bought it. Decisions, decisions.

MontWyDaho
08-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Those are a couple of the models I liked. Still undecided. Are there replacement front sight options for those? I really like the sights and rails for a RDS, which I'd have to add to an old 870P if I bought it. Decisions, decisions.

6 to 8 round one piece mag tube on the 590a1.
I haven't looked into front sight options for the 590a1...

ScotchMan
09-07-2017, 02:56 PM
OP mentions chokes, I have not found an OEM solution to use chokes on a 590a1. Because the barrel is thicker you can't swap in a 500 barrel, and there doesn't appear to be a 590a1 model which accepts chokes, so the only option appears to be gunsmithing. I've found a couple places that can do it but haven't gone through with it because Flite Control wads are like 20x more effective than chokes and the gun is intended for defensive use only.

I got a new 590a1 in the spring and have a little over 100 rounds through it. I replaced the spring and follower immediately, as well as putting Magpul furniture and a Mesa side saddle on it, and have had no issues. It's a great gun and I like it quite a bit more than my 870s, though admit the action on the 870s is smoother.

dfeder530
09-07-2017, 03:06 PM
I believe this new Mossberg model will fit the bill for a 590A1 with an OEM swappable choke. I plan on picking one up when it gets in stock at my local Quantico Tactical.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-7-shot-ghost-ring-50774/

willie
09-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Mossberg 835 barrels fit the 590a1 receiver. I bought one for this purpose. It does have the Accuchoke screw in choke system. These barrels have a 3 1/2 inch chamber. The longer shells may not feed through the 590a1 receiver.

Mitch
09-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Looks like new 18.5" 590a1s have screw on mag tube extensions. Are these good to go or is it better to just replace extension with a cap, or get a 20" with one piece mag tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScotchMan
09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Wow that is great news. Hopefully I can buy just a barrel soon.

SamAdams
09-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm . . . the thread where the Mossberg Shockwave is discussed doesn't really get into reliability and durability aspects. Of course, they havent been out very long. I have older tactical type shotguns including an 870P, but am intrigued by the compact Shockwave. I thought maybe this thread would give me some sense of what I might expect long term from the Shockwave. Down the road, is this thing likely to present a lot of problems with mechanical issues ? Trooper224 's comment that the 590A1 is a 'raving piece of shit' doesn't inspire confidence if that's their premier offering. I'm also not a fan of plastic safeties and trigger guard assemblies, which the Shockwave has. Thanks

Tabasco
09-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I think the issue with Mossberg is QC. If you get a good one, they are great, you get a bad one they are crap. Tried out a neighbors NIB 870 Express Tactical and the action was quite rough and ejection sticky. Old school 870's are slick and run well, but I understand Remington's QC today sucks as well. One thing I like about the Mossberg is that the lifter stays out of the way in the up position. The dual extractors seem to work for me as well.

peterb
09-12-2017, 07:42 PM
My limited experience with Mossberg pumps is that they benefit from cleaning up the burrs and rough/sharp bits. They are built to a price point, and many of the internal parts are stampings. A light deburr and radiusing can make a noticeable difference in smoothness.

You can probably get the same effect by cycling the action a few hundred times, but that makes the machinist in me wince.

Lon
10-06-2017, 09:46 PM
I ended up trading for an 870 that's been Vang Comp'd. Thanks for all the info.

Dave J
10-07-2017, 05:50 AM
I believe this new Mossberg model will fit the bill for a 590A1 with an OEM swappable choke. I plan on picking one up when it gets in stock at my local Quantico Tactical.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-7-shot-ghost-ring-50774/

Let us know if it actually has screw-in chokes. I'm fairly certain that model didn't in the past, and I am thinking it might be an error on Mossberg's website.

RONK
10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
It definitely does have screw in chokes.

HeavyDuty
10-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Interesting - I think that might be the replacement barrel I just ordered from Mossberg to replace the one my gunsmith pooched. Now I’m curious if it will have the chokes or not.

dfeder530
10-25-2017, 08:04 PM
So I bought the Mossberg 590, model 50670 for $477 before tax. It has the 20" barrel with Accu-chokes and holds 8+1 of the Hornady Critical Defense. The barrel thickness around the choke seems to be slightly thicker than the Remington 870 Tactical with a choke I used to have. Haven't shot it yet, as I literally just bought it today. Threw on a Modified choke, Magpul stock, shot card, sling plate, and a Protac Rail Mount 1 on a Thorntail mount.

dfeder530
10-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Took it out to the range today to get some shot patterning and to sight in the ghost rings for slugs. After reading about lackluster groupings with the Versatite/Flitecontrol wadding and choke tubes, I swapped the modified choke for an improved cylinder choke. I was hoping to mitigate the wad separating from the 00 buckshot early, but my results were the same as what I read online with chokes and the Flitecontrol wadding.

With my gun, it would seem that the Hornady Critical Defense 8 pellet 00 Buckshot patterns much tighter with a cylinder bore than the same rounds through an improved cylinder. I then shot the cheap Suprema 00 buckshot I bought at Walmart to compare. The Hornady with an IC choke performed about the same as the standard 9 pellet 00 buckshot with an IC. With the IC choke still installed, I zeroed my shotgun with Winchester Super X rifled hollow point slugs at 25 yards. It produced tight groups, but consistently shot a few inches low even after multiple adjustments. At 50 yards supported, it nailed the target head dead on but still slightly low.

After these results, I've decided I will keep the IC choke installed due to the slug accuracy and similar 00 buckshot performance. I will keep the shotgun loaded with the Hornady Critical Defense for now, but have plenty of cheaper standard 00 buckshot that patterns similarly. Next time I go to the range I will have to see if a cylinder bore will give me the same slug accuracy. If so, I will stick with the cylinder bore for the tighter Hornady groupings for home defense.

Don't know how to rotate the images. My original files are facing the correct way, so not sure how they ended up on their side.