PDA

View Full Version : Mag carrier opinion

digiadaamore
01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey guys i was wondering what are the pros and cons on velcro vs snap close mag carriers or is it just preference

Dr. No
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey guys i was wondering what are the pros and cons on velcro vs snap close mag carriers or is it just preference

Velcro - tends to wear out over time, is louder, and will be fubar if you grind it in sand
Snaps - faster to disengage, still loud, sometimes a pain to re-attach
Open top is best, but does not protect from the elements and sometimes will release items when you don't want them to go...

JDM
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
First of all, why do you want a closed top magazine pouch?

Second, the whole "Velcro is loud" thing is absolute nonsense. If you've fired your gun to slide lock, people heard it, and they heard it a lot further away than anyone could hear Velcro. The 18 gunshots you just uncorked are going to give you away, not the opening of a Velcro pouch.

Shellback
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
First of all, why do you want a closed top magazine pouch?
Maybe he's referring to rifle mags?

Second, the whole "Velcro is loud" thing is absolute nonsense. If you've fired your gun to slide lock, people heard it, and they heard it a lot further away than anyone could hear Velcro. The 18 gunshots you just uncorked are going to give you away, not the opening of a Velcro pouch.

LOL! True statement.

digiadaamore
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
oh i should clarify. i do use open top for duty, these will be for carry on the belt under my shirt;)

Shellback
01-08-2012, 12:16 PM
oh i should clarify. i do use open top for duty, these will be for carry on the belt under my shirt;)

Why not go with a high quality open top carrier for CCW? Do you have a specific reason for wanting a closed top carrier?

digiadaamore
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Why not go with a high quality open top carrier for CCW? Do you have a specific reason for wanting a closed top carrier?

i guess main reason being a little extra cover if for some reason it gets exposed it looks like a leatherman pouch type thing

Wes Peart
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
i guess main reason being a little extra cover if for some reason it gets exposed it looks like a leatherman pouch type thing

Around Christmas I put on an OWB kydex holster for my Glock and then put on a t-shirt, looked down and it seemed to be covered. Walked around an entire day, went to a few department stores, the mall, the theater, etc. Went in a bathroom and saw in the mirror that there was at least 1.5'' of what was quite obviously a tan kydex gun holster visible under the edge of my shirt against my blue jeans. Must have been bent over or something the first time I looked at it. I must have walked past hundreds upon hundreds of people including a few security guards and cops.

People don't notice shit.

digiadaamore
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Around Christmas I put on an OWB kydex holster for my Glock and then put on a t-shirt, looked down and it seemed to be covered. Walked around an entire day, went to a few department stores, the mall, the theater, etc. Went in a bathroom and saw in the mirror that there was at least 1.5'' of what was quite obviously a tan kydex gun holster visible under the edge of my shirt against my blue jeans. Must have been bent over or something the first time I looked at it. I must have walked past hundreds upon hundreds of people including a few security guards and cops.

Yeah its amazing how people go about there buisiness completely unaware.

joshs
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM

While a leatherman looking pouch could be useful if exposed, unless you are planning on carrying the pouch forward of the hip with an open front cover garment, I wouldn't worry about it. The additional bulk created by the flap will likely make it more difficult to conceal than a good low-profile, open top carrier.

jlw
01-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Not noticing and not saying anything about it are two different things.

On friday I saw a citizen retrieve and replace his wallet in his back pocket. As he did so, I noticed the unmistakable straps of an IWB holster. I looked closer and could see the slight printing of his grips through his T-shirt. I didn't say a word to him about it. He was going about his lawful business, and I didn't want to draw attention to him.

JodyH
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Not noticing and not saying anything about it are two different things.

On friday I saw a citizen retrieve and replace his wallet in his back pocket. As he did so, I noticed the unmistakable straps of an IWB holster. I looked closer and could see the slight printing of his grips through his T-shirt. I didn't say a word to him about it. He was going about his lawful business, and I didn't want to draw attention to him.
One of my hobbies is sitting in the mall food court (while the wife looks at shoes) trying to pick out gun toters (CCW and otherwise).
In a mid-sized city (pop 265,000) mall I can usually find one or two on a busy Saturday.
I don't say a word to any of them.

orionz06
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I really like the CCC BMC pouch. Very simple, effective, and not much hanging on the belt. Seems like it would be a good choice here.

One of my hobbies is sitting in the mall food court (while the wife looks at shoes) trying to pick out gun toters (CCW and otherwise).
In a mid-sized city (pop 265,000) mall I can usually find one or two on a busy Saturday.
I don't say a word to any of them.

It's like a people zoo.

TheLaw
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I like the Comp-Tac single and double mag pouches, as well as the Personal Security Systems low profile mag pouches. With the PSS pouches, I can choose from single, combine two together for double or use a single and my handheld light carrier combined together which is my typical daily carry. I also use the M.A.M.B.A. belt attachments they sell for the mag/light carriers. This makes putting them on/taking them off much easier yet they stay where they need to when they need to.