PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Tour

JFK
08-07-2017, 11:18 AM
What do you all think?

I think it is terrific. I am looking forward to the second season. It seems much more loose than the original Top Gear. I also love how they poke fun occasionally at their contract restrictions / politics of the move.

In addition, from a production stand point it looks like they are spending a ton of money on it. I am surprised Amazon forked over that kind of dough.

www.amazon.com/TheGrandTour‎

Bigghoss
08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
I was a fan of Top Gear so I really enjoy The Grand Tour. I don't give a shit about the cars for the most part, million dollar supercars don't do anything for me, but it's a funny show.

Peally
08-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Top Gear was at its best when it was a lighthearted car review show. They quickly went full-reality-TV and that's when it was at its most obnoxious. I'd rather see them sitting in an F1 car chatting about it than trying to plant a garden with crazy stupid fake antics involved.

I'll give the new show a look.

LOKNLOD
08-07-2017, 04:10 PM
I enjoyed season 1, looking forward to season 2. I really like the vehicle based adventures - like Namibia in dune buggies, although some of the less driving-focused are a little slow (like the "battleship" with cranes).

That Guy
08-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Top Gear was at its best when it was a lighthearted car review show. They quickly went full-reality-TV and that's when it was at its most obnoxious. I'd rather see them sitting in an F1 car chatting about it than trying to plant a garden with crazy stupid fake antics involved.

I'll give the new show a look.While the first few episodes weren't really the greatest, overall I really liked The Grand Tour. That said, a lot of it is quite obviously pretty thoroughly scripted and rehearsed.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
08-07-2017, 05:11 PM
I liked the Grand Tour - I thought some of the camera work was amazing. The first episode with the Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren face-off was great stuff.

That said, I'm a sucker for these kind of shows. I enjoyed Top Gear USA on the History Channel, and I understand that cast has reunited for another project. However, I've struggled through the first two episodes of the new Top Gear America (http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/top-gear-america) - the cast (headlined by actor William Fichtner) doesn't seem to have any chemistry.

The Apprentice
08-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Really looking forward to season 2 loved top gear as well. Personally I think the vehical adventures are the best part. I couldn't do top gear america I heard it got better but the first few episodes were like amateur remakes of the original and the team was forcing it.

olstyn
08-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Agreed that the vehicle journeys and budget challenges are some of their best stuff. I absolutely loved the £1500 Porsche challenge, for example. Hilariously good. Battleship by dropping cars on things with a crane? Too gimmicky for me. Of course, any long-running show is going to have some hits and misses. Overall, it's been pretty fun all the way through, and Clarkson, Hammond, and May's on-screen relationship is very entertaining to watch.

Norville
08-07-2017, 07:55 PM
The first few episodes were a bit too much, but I think it got better as it went on. Looking forward to the next season.

The original Top Gear was great, this is the big budget over the top version only Jeff Bezos would finance.

JFK
08-07-2017, 10:44 PM
I too am in the camp of loving the original Top Gear, but not liking Top Gear America. It seemed Top Gear America every episode turned into a demolition derby.

I really enjoy the juxtaposition of the super cars in one segment and the challenges of what is really on the road like the cheap Porsche thing. The opposite, yet complementary personalities of May, Hammond and Clarkson is pretty unique and hard to replicate or imitate.

spinmove_
08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
I'm definitely eagerly awaiting Season 2. It's quite an enjoyable show and I very much liked the original Top Gear (BBC). Yeah, a lot of it is obviously scripted and silly, but it's still a ridiculously fun and satisfying show to watch. I don't waste my time with too much TV these days so this is one of the few shows I actually go out of my way to watch when it's available. GoT and Forged in Fire being the only other two shows currently in production that I give two craps about.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy