PDA

View Full Version : Academic Regalia in the Days of Campus Carry

Glenn E. Meyer
08-06-2017, 12:24 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/Campus-Carry-11728128.php

Now he is safe. Story is making the gun world and conservative social media - he will enjoy that.

AlwaysLearning
08-06-2017, 01:06 PM
""There is nothing on this planet worth a human life.""

Well that just about sums up people like this... character. Stand for something or fall for anything etc.

SeriousStudent
08-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Think of the poor baby Kevlar's murdered in their nests to make that gear.

Erick Gelhaus
08-06-2017, 01:28 PM
HeHeHe ... guess he'd have been glad he wasn't my faculty advisor.

That might work with 18 year olds - which is sad.

Edster
08-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Is it too much to hope folks might back off from the, "People are gonna DIE!!!" extremism every time they don't like something?

voodoo_man
08-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Logic meet ignorance

Hambo
08-06-2017, 01:45 PM
If he wears it all day, every day for the first semester I'll take him seriously.

Malamute
08-06-2017, 02:04 PM
""There is nothing on this planet worth a human life."

I wonder if that is to be interpreted to mean he doesnt wish for anyone to do anything violent to save him if he were attacked by someone with a gun, knife, machete, or whatever?

45dotACP
08-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Lol I got into a heated discussion over grading with a professor that wound up fairly loud. I had a knife on me because I always have a knife on me...I also had a working knowledge of how to kill with my bare hands.

By this guys logic, it must seem a miracle that my professor walked out of that room alive. [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
08-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Lol I got into a heated discussion over grading with a professor that wound up fairly loud. I had a knife on me because I always have a knife on me...I also had a working knowledge of how to kill with my bare hands.

By this guys logic, it must seem a miracle that my professor walked out of that room alive. [emoji849]

I got into a full blown screaming match with a professor in my second year of undergrad. We're talking both of us standing bellowing at each other half-in/half-out of his office over wording on an exam question. To the point where other professors and grad students were coming into the outer office area to investigate. I was carrying a knife on me, like I always do too. No miracle involved...he was never in any danger. We finally agreed to disagree but arrived at a suitable conclusion re: the problem.

Turns out that guy would end up playing an integral part in my personal and professional development. As a mentor for nearly 10-years now (10-years in two weeks actually), as co-supervisor on my undergraduate thesis, as my master's thesis supervisor, and as a collaborator on my PhD dissertation research. His advice, guidance, and patience have served as an inspiration and he is easily the second most important male role-model in my life next to my father.

But under our current pussified system, a mere decade after the above events transpired. He might have run to hide in his office and given me an A just to avoid conflict. Or...probably not. And I look at the bright side, both of us are bellicose individuals and aren't likely to be scared of packing students or conflict in the classroom.

I wonder if that is to be interpreted to mean he doesnt wish for anyone to do anything violent to save him if he were attacked by someone with a gun, knife, machete, or whatever?

Dumbass gonna dumbass. When someone says something like -

There is nothing on this planet worth a human life.

I just assume that they have never, ever, had to struggle for food, money, resources, safety, a good night's sleep, etc, because if they had, they'd recognize the fucking stupidity of their statement. People frequently think I'm a callous asshole, because I think almost the exact opposite, "Almost everything on this planet is worth human lives."

Chance
08-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Nothing more entertaining than scared liberals.

I had a group of students come to my office after I busted them for cheating. Getting an F in grad school basically ensures you're going to get kicked out, and given that they were here on student visas, buh bye.

I never felt threatened, but it did cross my mind. I don't understand why asshats like this dude don't think, "Gee, maybe having a pistol on me wouldn't be a bad idea." I guess it's easier to be the victim.

Trooper224
08-06-2017, 05:32 PM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.3yd6WtvL4C4fDNvoJTbGRAEsEs&pid=15.1

Zincwarrior
08-06-2017, 06:01 PM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.3yd6WtvL4C4fDNvoJTbGRAEsEs&pid=15.1
Yes indeed.

Joe in PNG
08-06-2017, 06:18 PM
I just assume that they have never, ever, had to struggle for food, money, resources, safety, a good night's sleep, etc, because if they had, they'd recognize the fucking stupidity of their statement. People frequently think I'm a callous asshole, because I think almost the exact opposite, "Almost everything on this planet is worth human lives."
That's the downside of living in a one of the very rare prosperous societies- people just assume that food, shelter, safety, and all that is guaranteed.
They just can't grok that most humans lived very, very close to starvation, disease, and other sorts of nastyness.

45dotACP
08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Almost everything is worth human lives...some things are worth thousands of lives. Unless said intellectual still believes the US should be a part of Britain, that slavery is a holy institution, that we should have capitulated to Hitler or apologized to the Japanese on December 8th 1941...

There are women who have laid down their lives for his right to say this stuff, so it would be a disservice to call this dude a girl. But he is definitely the most unmanly human male I've heard of in some while.

Stephanie B
08-07-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm insulted that he thinks those who carry concealed are too stupid to aim around his vest and helmet.

Wondering Beard
08-07-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm insulted that he thinks those who carry concealed are too stupid to aim around his vest and helmet.

To be fair, I don't think there's anything in his vitae that says he knows anything about violence. ;-)

DallasBronco
08-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Funny that "nothing is worth taking a life for" and his "freedom of speech" were mentioned in the same article. Plenty of lives have been lost to ensure him that right. Let him add a 70 lb ruck and long sleeves to his outfit; hump it everyday for a semester, and he will start to understand the cost of his freedom.

Zincwarrior
08-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Wait are we sure this is a professor and not some crazy homeless guy that wandered in?

Duelist
08-07-2017, 11:24 AM
There's a crazy homeless guy in my town who used to be a tenured professor...

Chance
08-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Wait are we sure this is a professor and not some crazy homeless guy that wandered in?

In some departments, there really isn't much difference.

LittleLebowski
08-07-2017, 11:32 AM
One would think this professor teaches drama.

LorenzoS
08-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Despite the rhetoric about tolerance, diversity and inclusiveness it's still OK to stereotype gun owners as dangerous and evil maniacs.

Chance
08-07-2017, 12:27 PM
One would think this professor teaches drama.

Actually, the artistic folks that I've come across are amongst the most well-dressed and coifed around. The physics department is where you find the hobos that wear sandals and don't wash their feet.

Stephanie B
08-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Funny that "nothing is worth taking a life for" and his "freedom of speech" were mentioned in the same article. Plenty of lives have been lost to ensure him that right. Let him add a 70 lb ruck and long sleeves to his outfit; hump it everyday for a semester, and he will start to understand the cost of his freedom.

I believe that he should notify his local 911 Call Center to make sure they know that anybody responding to his house or place of work should not put their lives at risk to save his pasty ass.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Actually, the artistic folks that I've come across are amongst the most well-dressed and coifed around. The physics department is where you find the hobos that wear sandals and don't wash their feet.

I was referring to him being so dramatic.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
I would think there would be a risk that if you walked into a university building like that, someone would call it in as a crazy man in body armor stalking the halls.

Sero Sed Serio
08-07-2017, 02:40 PM

At Arizona State University we used to play the games "Grad student or transient?" and "Is she or isn't she wearing pants?" Making those determinations was oftentimes harder than actually getting into ASU...

SeriousStudent
08-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Hey Hey Hey, look out there! As a former physics dude, I always washed my feet!

Of course, sometimes it was in a laboratory hazardous spill clean up shower, but they did get washed.

Chance
08-07-2017, 07:57 PM
I've found that unwashed feet have a very specific odor. Not something I expected to learn when I embarked on a career in academia.

SeriousStudent
08-07-2017, 08:36 PM
I've found that unwashed feet have a very specific odor. Not something I expected to learn when I embarked on a career in academia.

Wait till you embark on a career that teaches you what burning unwashed feet smell like.

"Build a man a fire, he's warm for one night. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life."

RevolverRob
08-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Despite the rhetoric about tolerance, diversity and inclusiveness it's still OK to stereotype gun owners as dangerous and evil maniacs.

Dude it's still okay to stereotype anyone within academia. You just can't say it openly with all of them, like you can with some others.

"Oh it's okay, that person couldn't make it through grad school because they are trans/poor/working class/conservative/gay/female/male/black/rainbow/an alien from Pluto/etc"

Despite it's ostensible airs of a "meritocracy" academia is like the farthest thing from an egalitarian, meritocracy on the planet. And the most fucked up part...everyone knows it, but does nothing to change it. Because as long as we have pretenses and airs of not being d-bags, it's all okay!

I've met some of the most hypocritical people within academia, it blows my mind how they are unable to recognize their own cognitive dissonance. We're talking vegans who do live-animal research, pacifists that study nuclear physics, conservation biologists who own cars, drive everywhere, and fly internationally multiple times a year because "staying close is inconvenient", and that's just the scientists I've met. If I start including the professors who write about feminism but are written up for ethical violations for sexually harassing female students, etc? I'll run out of paper before I finish.

Totem Polar
08-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Despite it's ostensible airs of a "meritocracy" academia is like the farthest thing from an egalitarian, meritocracy on the planet...

I've met some of the most hypocritical people within academia...

Indeed. It's a strange and ethically maleable land.

Stephanie B
08-08-2017, 06:45 AM
I try to keep in mind that "it's academic" means "it doesn't matter a bit."

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

Chance
08-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Wait till you embark on a career that teaches you what burning unwashed feet smell like.

"Build a man a fire, he's warm for one night. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That would be a pretty abrupt career change.