PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running the CZ P07?

SSGN_Doc
08-01-2017, 11:03 PM
I tried to do a search but apparently "CZ" and "P07" are either too common or too small to be searchable words. So, forgive me if there is a big post on this somewhere, and I missed it.

I picked one of these up today and I had strongly considered buying it or the Beretta Px4 Compact. I went the Px4 route, during the rebates, as well as I just kind of liked the way the trigger felt a little bit more than I liked the CZ as they both came out of the box. Today though, I found a P07 that was marked used, but I'm 99% sure the only time it was fired was at the CZ factory, and I only think that because there is a test target. Anyway it was priced under $400, so i picked it up.

Curious to hear if anyone else is carrying it and what holsters they went with, along with any useful hints or modifications. I already anticipate spending some money with Cajun Gun Works, as I've used some of their parts to massage, my SP01.

Lon
08-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Love my P07. Mine has an RMR milled in. I also have an older 07 Duty slide with Dawson FO front and black rear sights I use when I teach at the police academy. Did I mention I love that gun?

I bought a bunch of CGW parts and did the install myself using YouTube videos to show how to take apart, etc. no problems. I bought this kit: https://cajungunworks.com/product/p-07-p-09-pro-grade-package/

I also bought a steel guide rod.

I have a JMCK AIWB holster I use for everyday carry, a Bladetech (for a P09) DOS for competition and a Safariland ALS for police academy teaching. I think Tony (JMCK) has some/a 07 holster on his quick ship list. Yep, http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/COVERT-CARRY-HOLSTER-CZP-07.html

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Love my P07. Mine has an RMR milled in. I also have an older 07 Duty slide with Dawson FO front and black rear sights I use when I teach at the police academy. Did I mention I love that gun?

I bought a bunch of CGW parts and did the install myself using YouTube videos to show how to take apart, etc. no problems. I bought this kit: https://cajungunworks.com/product/p-07-p-09-pro-grade-package/

I also bought a steel guide rod.

I have a JMCK AIWB holster I use for everyday carry, a Bladetech (for a P09) DOS for competition and a Safariland ALS for police academy teaching. I think Tony (JMCK) has some/a 07 holster on his quick ship list. Yep, http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/COVERT-CARRY-HOLSTER-CZP-07.html

Thanks, for the input. I have a JMCK AIWB for my Px4 Storm Compact. So, I may go that route again.

TheNewbie
08-02-2017, 01:07 AM
Mine is stock. The last gun this easy to shoot was a 9mm 1911.

Mine is my duty weapon and thankfully Safariland makes an ALS for it. The trigger only feels so so but the rounds go where I want them.

Trukinjp13
08-02-2017, 08:41 AM
I agree on the love. I really think you can not beat it for the price. Mine was bone stock and would flat out shoot. Traded in on a p320c. That was definitely a mistake. The accuracy was amazing on the p07 and the trigger continued to smooth out. You will be very happy with that guy for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PD Sgt.
08-02-2017, 08:54 AM
I have two, both set up pretty much identically with the same kit Lon mentioned. I also swapped out the sights using CZC black rears and Dawson FO fronts. I have had no problems with either pistol. One is used for work, the other for training/dryfire.

I primarily use Raven for OWB and JM for appendix holsters. These are my two favorite holster companies and pretty much are "go-to" for me.

I picked mine up shortly after shooting Mike Pannone's in a class and have been very happy with them. I do carry other pistols, depending on what I am doing that day, but the P07 certainly gets carried the most.

Irelander
08-02-2017, 09:02 AM
I have a P07 and while I have not even shot it yet, I have done quite a bit of dry fire practice with it. I like the feel of the trigger but I also feel the gun is a bit more bulky than my G19. The grip just doesn't seem to fit me right. I think I'll be sending it down the road.

psalms144.1
08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
I have one that I'm (slowly) putting through the 2,000 round challenge. My impressions are positive. No reliability issues yet. Trigger is a little gritty, but I'm sure that will wear in eventually. SA trigger has a bit of creep, and the trigger could use an overtravel stop, but definitely nothing worse than the GLOCK. Despite the trigger feel "issues" I shoot the P07 accurately and with better at-speed control than the GLOCKs that I've logged several decades and over 100,000 rounds of training ammunition through. The pistol shoots extremely "flat" - the front sight barely rises out of the rear sight notch in recoil, even when shooting outdoors in a moderately heavy rain.

I have a bunch of Cajun Gunworks parts waiting to install, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Disassembly is definitely more complicated than a GLOCK - I was pitching a bitch just to get it field stripped - and haven't been able to figure out how to remove the backstrap yet - I think I need a third hand or some kind of mechanical assist device. Sight options are EXTREMELY limited - you have stock, you have Dawson FO, or Dawson NS. CZC has NS as well, but I believe they're Dawson produced. Not that Dawson sights are bad - but there's not any high-visibility NS available (HDs, Ameriglos, etc). I expect this will change if the P10C catches on - sight dovetails are common between the two pistols.

Overall, I really like this pistol, and think it's a viable hammer-fired alternative to the G19 benchmark.

SteveB
08-02-2017, 10:20 AM
I carried a P-07 for about a year; it replaced an HK P2000 V3 when I got tired of the euro mag release. The P-07 was an upgrade, in my opinion, carried well, accurate, reliable, a great AIWB carry gun. I replaced it with the PX4CC because the Beretta slide is taller, has a greater gripping surface and is much easier to manipulate. I shot a course in Florida where we had a light rain all day, so wet hands, wet pistol. The P-07 slide was tough to deal with during some of the drills. The PX4 is super-easy to manipulate, as well as meeting all my criteria for a carry gun. You can see the difference in slide heights here:

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 10:42 AM
I carried a P-07 for about a year; it replaced an HK P2000 V3 when I got tired of the euro mag release. The P-07 was an upgrade, in my opinion, carried well, accurate, reliable, a great AIWB carry gun. I replaced it with the PX4CC because the Beretta slide is taller, has a greater gripping surface and is much easier to manipulate. I shot a course in Florida where we had a light rain all day, so wet hands, wet pistol. The P-07 slide was tough to deal with during some of the drills. The PX4 is super-easy to manipulate, as well as meeting all my criteria for a carry gun. You can see the difference in slide heights here:

I have a Px4 Compact that is my current carry pistol. I don't know that the P07 will replace it, but it certainly seems like a very good contender so far. I agree on the surface area o the Px4, I just wish the serrations were as aggressive as the ones on the CZ. The roundness of the Px4 also seems to lend itself to not printing as much as a more squared off pistol.

gruntjim
08-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Just started my 2,000 round challenge.

So far, I'm very impressed with the build quality, as well as the handling. I didn't see any machining marks, and it locks up extremely tight.

Carrying a CZ reminds me of serving during the Cold War, when the CZ-75 was the unofficial badge of guys who'd been to Europe.

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 10:48 AM
I have one that I'm (slowly) putting through the 2,000 round challenge. My impressions are positive. No reliability issues yet. Trigger is a little gritty, but I'm sure that will wear in eventually. SA trigger has a bit of creep, and the trigger could use an overtravel stop, but definitely nothing worse than the GLOCK. Despite the trigger feel "issues" I shoot the P07 accurately and with better at-speed control than the GLOCKs that I've logged several decades and over 100,000 rounds of training ammunition through. The pistol shoots extremely "flat" - the front sight barely rises out of the rear sight notch in recoil, even when shooting outdoors in a moderately heavy rain.

I have a bunch of Cajun Gunworks parts waiting to install, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Disassembly is definitely more complicated than a GLOCK - I was pitching a bitch just to get it field stripped - and haven't been able to figure out how to remove the backstrap yet - I think I need a third hand or some kind of mechanical assist device. Sight options are EXTREMELY limited - you have stock, you have Dawson FO, or Dawson NS. CZC has NS as well, but I believe they're Dawson produced. Not that Dawson sights are bad - but there's not any high-visibility NS available (HDs, Ameriglos, etc). I expect this will change if the P10C catches on - sight dovetails are common between the two pistols.

Overall, I really like this pistol, and think it's a viable hammer-fired alternative to the G19 benchmark.

I'm currently running a Beretta Px4 Compact. Sight options are not super for this series either. There are the Ameriglo sights which I'm running, but there are little to no fiber optic options for my full size. So, not having sight options is not a new problem for me.

I'm familiar with the CZ75 (have a75B and Sp01), so the takedown was pretty easy or at least familiar to me. Gotta use that mag floor plate to get the pin started, then the rest is simple.

Agree on the trigger assessment. It is not bad. Has some stages to it which can probably mostly be remedied with judicious application of some polishing stones and springs. The Cajun Kit looks like it will improve thing even more if I want something that goes beyond a more refined and improved service trigger.

psalms144.1
08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
On the Px4 vs P07 issue, for me it came down to two issues:

1. Cost. I can buy two P07s for the price of one Px4CC, nearly three P07s if I was going to shell out for a Modwhateverthecoolkidsarecarryingnow. I'm concerned about hearing how great the Robar treatment of the Px4 is WRT lube and how the Px4 can be problematic when run "dry" in stock configuration.
2. WML. I don't typically carry one on a daily basis, but I like them for HD. The Px4 C's rail doesn't allow mounting a "standard" WML. The P07 can mount anything

I do get the slide "grippiness" thing, but, I'm an old-school slide release kind of guy, and even shooting in a moderately heavy rain I didn't have any issues manipulating my P07... I also agree that the Px4CC's contour looks like it would "hide" better than the P07's square-ish grip and long-ish beavertail - kind of like the difference between deep concealment carry of a 642 vs a G26. Similar in size but one disappears under the lightest cover, the other needs work to conceal...

psalms144.1
08-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Carrying a CZ reminds me of serving during the Cold War, when the CZ-75 was the unofficial badge of guys who'd been to Europe.Ah, yes, the good old days when having a CZ75 marked you as one HELL of a "gun savvy" dude...

Doc_Glock
08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
I replaced it with the PX4CC because the Beretta slide is taller, has a greater gripping surface and is much easier to manipulate. I shot a course in Florida where we had a light rain all day, so wet hands, wet pistol. The P-07 slide was tough to deal with during some of the drills.

I had the same issue with the P07. I just never got along with its handling, and the narrow slide was vexing at times. Overall a solid gun, but it didn't click with me. I definitely prefer the PX4C, it's easier to manipulate and has a much better stock trigger. As much as I though I didn't like slide mounted controls, the decocker of the PX4 has grown on me and my only beef now is how they can cut you up on aggressive slide manipulations.

Rack
08-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Steve,

What are the sights you have on your P-07 in this picture?

Thanks.

backtrail540
08-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Is there a noticeable difference in the distance from the bottom of the trigger guard to the bottom of the grip between the two or are they similar? The grip looks like it has less room on the px4. The p07 was perfect for me but anything smaller and i don't think I'd get a full grip. I handled a compact px4 but it was a long time ago and i can't recall how close it was to a p07 as there wasn't one handy.

SteveB
08-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Steve,

What are the sights you have on your P-07 in this picture?

Thanks.

Fiber-optic front, black rear from CZ Custom.

Trigger
08-02-2017, 12:09 PM
I run a pair of P-07s for carry, and a pair of P-09s for sport and other things. One P-07 and both P-09s have CGW parts in them, it makes the triggers a lot more shootable, and smoother for the first round DA. All the pistols are pretty accurate: pretty tight, but not quite as tight as an SP-01 or a Tac Sport. I spent a little time smoothing out the grip frame, and putting some skateboard tape where needed. Make the pistol fit my hand better, and stay in place better under recoil.

I feel these pistols have the best recoil impulse and front sight tracking of any plastic pistols I've fired. The low cost is just an added bonus. (For MIL/LE CZ-USA has a discount program) Magazines are available at a good price from gregcotellc.com. I use High Noon Holsters (leather and Kydex), and HTC holsters (Kydex). I'm looking forward to when they introduce a milled-slide option for a mini-RDS.

My P-07/09s have been highly reliable. No malfunctions that I cannot attribute to my own reloads. Accurate, low cost, reliable, durable. What is not to like?

pastaslinger
08-02-2017, 12:21 PM
I had been interested in the P07/P09 but the things that pushed me away were
- trigger broke way too far back and close to the web of my hand
- 3/5 P series guns I looked at had hammers that were canted and rubbing on the slide during trigger pull
- price of magazines
- overall fit and finish of the metal parts; they weren't that bad but once you drop in $300 of CGW parts you have a roughly $800 gun and there are some great guns for that much or less with better refined metal parts

Ignoring the above, the guns shot pretty well: the triggers were not terrible out of the box, sights tracked easily, recoil was very manageable

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Good input from all. Thank you.

Psalms: I can relate to the cost of following what the cool kids carry. I was a Glock toter only for about a decade. When I was deciding to go back to a DA/SA pistol It was because I had explored appendix carry and preferred the idea of a DA/SA pistol for that role. I ran across the now somewhat epic thread regarding ernest Langdon's exploration of the Px4 compact. I liked a lot of what he did with factory available parts. I didn't feel the need though to jump in with both feet on the platform and buy a ready made CC version or a Robar version. I decided to go more with the prototype version or what I think Beretta should offer as a Compact Basic Carry model that deletes the different finish, the night sights and the competition trigger pack. But, I have found the basic Px4 Compact to be a very good platform, and I'm finding used Px4s at or under $400 in my local area. Both the Px4 and the P07 seem to be underrated, and often undervalued once they find their way to "used" status. Based on the amount of use posted by most members of this forum The average "Used" Px4 or P07 has probably barely met the break-in criteria for most folks here.

I think I'm going to enjoy running the P07 and the Px4C side by side and giving them each a fair shake. This way I can get past the whole "what the cool kids carry" part and figure it out for myself. Now my problem is going to be my ammo budget.

I do like a DA trigger pull that is smooth and not over weighted, but I think reset, and some of the other "refinements" are more hot rodding than absolute must haves. They shave seconds for USPSA/IDPA, but how practical and truly tactical are some of the more extreme mods? On the Px4 I have felt the benefit of using the Wilson hammer spring, but feel I almost got as much benefit out of stoning the rough edges off the hammer strut and trigger bar. I know My 75B felt a lot better after similar treatment to polishing and spring replacement. Sure some of the other trigger qualities remain more "service pistol" level, but is that really a bad thing in a pistol I would carry?

Sights and a good holster are higher priorities to me.

Thanks again all for the input and please feel free to keep it coming. I'm on leave this week, but have to go in today because one of the Sailors in my department got in trouble and Captains mast won't wait.

Looking forward to some stress relieving reading when I get back.

Trukinjp13
08-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Imho the p07 needs nothing other then sights and a trs. With time the trigger becomes a lot better.

I now have a px4cc. It is better then a stock p07. But it is significantly more moola. I would not touch a stock px4c over a p07. Nothing about the px4c interests me stock. Also a cgw p07 will outshoot pretty much any other da/sa in that price range.

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I would not touch a stock px4c over a p07. Nothing about the px4c interests me stock. Also a cgw p07 will outshoot pretty much any other da/sa in that price range.

My Px4C isn't exactly stock, but it isn't a CC model either. Sights, a hammer spring and low profile controls are really the only upgrades parts. The hammer spring is the only thing that really makes it shoot any different.

By the time I drop $230+dollars of CGW parts in the P07, I'm about even with my PX4C.

https://image.ibb.co/dDPwPk/IMG_3369.jpg

imp1295
08-02-2017, 05:47 PM
I think the P-07 is a solid choice. I went from P30/P2000 LEM to the P-07 with just the spring kit (hammer and FPBS) with Dawson sights. I couldn't improve my performance with it after the 2k challenge over the P2000 LEM. So, I went back to the HK.

Now, I've moved on the to the PX4CC. I'd say concealability wise, the PX4 and HK P2000 is more concealable (both with JM custom AIWB) than the P-07.

the P-07 is more economic than either and mechanical accuracy is a wash among all of them.

The P-07 pretty much stays in the safe now and I'm considering offloading it since I haven't touched it in a year or so.

Paltares8
08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
I've been carrying mine for about a year and it has run great. Besides sights I actually haven't replaced anything on it. I have a CGW TRS that I got upon hearing about CZ's problems with them in general, but still haven't put it in as it hasn't been necessary. Carry in a JMCK Aiwb 2.0 and it is awesome for me. I actually thought I had an issue and was debating starting a thread on here seeing if anyone's sweat had worn the finish off of their carry pistols, as I thought that was happening to me. However, after a good deep cleaning, it turned out to just be surface crud and came right off. Other than that, it has just been good. No malfunctions since day one. I don't shoot a ton by most folks' standards here, but generally go to the range every month and put 100-200 through it. I've been very happy with it and am actually about to buy another.

Trukinjp13
08-02-2017, 07:16 PM
My Px4C isn't exactly stock, but it isn't a CC model either. Sights, a hammer spring and low profile controls are really the only upgrades parts. The hammer spring is the only thing that really makes it shoot any different.

By the time I drop $230+dollars of CGW parts in the P07, I'm about even with my PX4C.

https://image.ibb.co/dDPwPk/IMG_3369.jpg

The sights on the px4cc are the best I have run. I have had about everything too. I love the squared edges and the bright front dot. You have all the important mods on yours for sure. It is a joy to shoot. I feel like I shot my p07 almost as good as my px4cc. With sights I think it would make a big difference. I like the size of the px4cc and the roundness. I just hate that people put down the p07 or look past it because price.

Just another example of how options are great and we need to try different stuff. We all interpret things differently. Some shit just works for us and some does not.

SSGN_Doc
08-02-2017, 07:31 PM
The sights on the px4cc are the best I have run. I have had about everything too. I love the squared edges and the bright front dot. You have all the important mods on yours for sure. It is a joy to shoot. I feel like I shot my p07 almost as good as my px4cc. With sights I think it would make a big difference. I like the size of the px4cc and the roundness. I just hate that people put down the p07 or look past it because price.

Just another example of how options are great and we need to try different stuff. We all interpret things differently. Some shit just works for us and some does not.

I agree. I think this past year I've been on a kick for underrated pistols. I would like to get my hands on a Walther P99 AS in 9mm (full size) as I've been running a slow 2,000 rnd challenge on it's cheaper more available Turkish knock off. I tend to be pretty impressed with how that cheap knock off works and think I would truly like a real Walther version. I've liked CZs for a long time but had stuck with the all metal guns, and they were mostly purchased for range use, and to have as examples of a hallmark design. My first centerfire autoloader was a Beretta 92FS that I bought around 91/92 timeframe after I turned 21. I tended to turn my nose up at the polymer framed Berettas, but once I rented one at a range I figured out they were worth another look.

The great thing is that the Storms and CZs seem to be undervalued, especially on the used market. This makes them an exceptional bargain and more accessible for people to get into and have some money to spare for upgrades or more ammo.

Mirolynmonbro
08-03-2017, 08:39 AM
I had a fully cajunized P09 for a while but had to change out the hammer to keep it competition legal, but I could not notice a difference with the stock hammer.

One of my 07s doesn't have the short reset trigger kit and it's the one I shoot the most. I would not have put the SRT in the others if I would have been able to compare them side by side. The short reset doesn't seem worth it to me.

Lighter hammer spring, extended firing pin, and lighter recoil spring are nice upgrades though, as well as sights if you want to get away from the 3 dot/wide front sight. Currently running the Dawson fiber front with the stock rear sight blacked out with a sharpie.

I have a few aiwb holsters trying to decide which one I want to stay with, but so far my most used one is by Shook Customs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Doc_Glock
08-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I would like to get my hands on a Walther P99 AS in 9mm (full size)

Thread drift:

Yes, you would. I am pretty impressed with the old beater one I picked up for $300. One reason I got rid of the CZ was that I had the P99 if I ever wanted to delve more into DA/SA world and the trigger was better than the P07. I kind of forgot about it when I picked up the PX4. Fact is all these guns are incredibly under valued IMO: P07/09, PX4, Sig 2022. All great guns in the $400 price range.

SSGN_Doc
08-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Thread drift:

Yes, you would. I am pretty impressed with the old beater one I picked up for $300. One reason I got rid of the CZ was that I had the P99 if I ever wanted to delve more into DA/SA world and the trigger was better than the P07. I kind of forgot about it when I picked up the PX4. Fact is all these guns are incredibly under valued IMO: P07/09, PX4, Sig 2022. All great guns in the $400 price range.

I don't mind a little drift. I have been told that the P99 AS may still end up being imported in limited quantities. So, Im trying to rebuild my gun slush fund in the event that I find one. I did consider going with the Walther built SW99, since they are basically the same pistol but with a different slide shape. But I figure if I'm going to hunt for a unicorn, I may as well hold out for the one with the trophy horn. In the mean time, the Canik seems to be proving the value of that particular (and a bit peculiar) trigger system. I like the almost entirely flush controls, and kind of slick appearance of the striker fired DA/SA, while still getting the DA/SA trigger system and decocker. The TP9V2 runs well in drills, has been reliable enough for me to give it a good cleaning and lube and begin a 2,000 round challenge on it. (Currently at 900 trouble free rounds).

psalms144.1
08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
By the time I drop $230+dollars of CGW parts in the P07, I'm about even with my PX4C.If the P07 weren't completely shootable in stock configuration, I wouldn't take a second look. I truly think the enhancement kit for the P07 is gilding the lilly.

Will it make it better? Sure. Do you really need it? I don't think so. But, I also don't put $200 triggers in my $400 GLOCKs, either...

Lon
08-03-2017, 01:59 PM
I've been tempted just to buy another P-07 directly from CGW with the parts and work already added. Still cheaper than buying a Sig.
But that's just because I'm lazy.

SSGN_Doc
08-04-2017, 10:18 AM
If the P07 weren't completely shootable in stock configuration, I wouldn't take a second look. I truly think the enhancement kit for the P07 is gilding the lilly.

Will it make it better? Sure. Do you really need it? I don't think so. But, I also don't put $200 triggers in my $400 GLOCKs, either...

Kind of my findings based on my one brief outing. The P07 seems to be quite ready to use right out of the box. It can benefit from some refinement but it seems "service worthy" as it comes. This seems to also be the case with my PX4C and with my Glocks. Some of the refinements seem to be fairly simple to accomplish by a "tabletop gunsmith" such as light polishing and some spring swaps, along with possible upgrades to preferred sights and maybe improved traction to key points of the grips. This seems to apply to each of the three pistols mentioned above. Each of these pistols seems to be of a complexity level that is approachable for the "serious hobbyist" willing to do some research, learn and cautiously approach doing some work on the pistols themselves.

I suspect once I get to the other side of this whole thing and kind of gently massage the P07, I will find that the P07 and Px4C are probably fairly closely matched for the intended CC role I have in mind. But I'm kinda hard headed and have to do my own hands-on to see how much of these pistols reputation is hype and what really does stand out.

GJM
08-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Stuart at CZ Custom previously has mentioned to me how the P07 was designed for reliability.

Not that I view the MAC stuff as scientific, but I happened to watch the MAC test of the P07 last night, and the P07 just chugged right through the dirt, sand and mud, doing quite well.

SSGN_Doc
08-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Stuart at CZ Custom previously has mentioned to me how the P07 was designed for reliability.

Not that I view the MAC stuff as scientific, but I happened to watch the MAC test of the P07 last night, and the P07 just chugged right through the dirt, sand and mud, doing quite well.

There is a bit to be said about limiting ingress points for debris in most mechanical systems.

SSGN_Doc
08-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Ran back out to the woods this morning and ran a quick Dot Torture with the Px4 Compact, Px4 Full Size, and the P07. I was mostly interested in seeing how the P07 and the Px4 Compact compared in a more practical way. I have more trigger time with the little Px4 and have polished the hammer strut and trigger bar as well as installed a Wilson Combat #12 hammer spring. With regard to the P07, this was my second outing with it, and it is box stock. So, it may not be the most completely fair comparison, but in reality at 5 yds my performance with each is not too different.

https://image.ibb.co/jXdZnF/IMG_3498.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/csTdEv/IMG_3492.jpg

My misses and shots that just cut the lines of the circles were mostly DA shots, or a bad press-out that I didn't break correctly. I seemed to need to work on more DA press-outs with the P07 so I ran another box doing some press-outs and then some cadence drills to improve on my follow-ups.

https://image.ibb.co/hhN8ga/IMG_3501.jpg

gruntjim
08-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Got my first hundred-some rounds downrange. Performance was flawless, with one firer putting three of five rounds into a half inch at fifteen yards.

Little bastard prefers Winchester, which means my usual ATK fodder is not as suitable as I'd hoped. RA9B still a good round?

SSGN_Doc
08-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Got my first hundred-some rounds downrange. Performance was flawless, with one firer putting three of five rounds into a half inch at fifteen yards.

Little bastard prefers Winchester, which means my usual ATK fodder is not as suitable as I'd hoped. RA9B still a good round?

As long as it isn't part of the batch, recalled a few years ago.

Greg
08-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Just started my 2,000 round challenge.

So far, I'm very impressed with the build quality, as well as the handling. I didn't see any machining marks, and it locks up extremely tight.

Carrying a CZ reminds me of serving during the Cold War, when the CZ-75 was the unofficial badge of guys who'd been to Europe.

Mine breezed through the 2000 round challenge. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9-2-000-Round-Challenge/page24

I still have 2 of these. Still think the stock mainspring is overkill but easily changed out. I'm not customizing them any more than that until some better sight options are available.

Round count is @ 10,000 ish and 4000 on the 2 I have. Zero TRS issues.
JM Custom Kydex makes plenty of holsters for these guns. I have the #3 and an AIWB - I primarily purchased these pistols to try out AIWB carry.

The DA pull seems shorter (but not quite as smooth) on these than my Sigs. The SA pull makes them stooopid easy to run fast.

Pennzoil
08-07-2017, 09:38 AM
I have one P-07 that can't run a full magazine typically without a malfunction and a second one that runs excellent. While I like the P-07 after shooting the PX4 compact carry side by side with my P-07. I'd go PX4 compact carry for my needs if I could do it over again.

Here is another P-07 thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22258-Want-my-first-non-striker-P30-LEM-or-CZ-P-07/page2) and post #17 has pictures of my P-07 malfunctions.

Wheeler
08-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Bob Owens ran a P07 at a class put on by Daniel Defense about a month before his untimely demise. Being as the class was held in Georgia, with lots of rain, there was a lot of red clay to deal with. His only complaint was the magazines would choke on the red clay.

Now in the grand scheme of things very few if any of us are going to be in such a prolonged engagement with a pistol that we have to think about reloading the magazines we just dropped in the mud. That is however, a concern on the competitive side of things.

Trajan
08-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Anyone have this issue?

https://vimeo.com/228749051
I've done it to 3 P-07s, and 1 P-09 (full CGW kit). Way easier to do on the CGW, but still occured none the less on the 100% factory ones.

Mjolnir
08-07-2017, 08:05 PM
^ That looks troubling...

Larry Sellers
08-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Hammer follow?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lon
08-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Anyone have this issue?

https://vimeo.com/228749051
I've done it to 3 P-07s, and 1 P-09 (full CGW kit). Way easier to do on the CGW, but still occured none the less on the 100% factory ones.

Pic no workie.

gruntjim
08-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Ran another hundred rounds out today.

The wear pattern is interesting, in that it's not showing as clear a pattern of load preference.

It's still in love with Winchester, but it no longer hates Federal.

So far, it's slightly more accurate than my West German P226.

lordhamster
08-14-2017, 12:53 PM

The PX4 has always appealed to me, but I can't stand the frame mounted backwards safety. Is yours a "G" model with decocker only?

SSGN_Doc
08-14-2017, 01:41 PM
lordhamster, I'm not the guy you asked but, my Px4 is converted to G type, decocker only. (An easy to perform conversion where you can buy other parts or just remove a detent and spring from the F type safety levers). When using it as a decocker it doesn't seem to strange to someone used to frame mounted safeties that get pushed downward to fire. Since most decockers are downward motions, it seems more natural. Also, since only using it when decocking, which is likely to be done when coming of target and after things are no longer at critical speed, a shift in grip is not as detrimental. Like using a Walther P99 AS the decocker button on the top of the slide, is not far off.

SteveB
08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
The PX4 has always appealed to me, but I can't stand the frame mounted backwards safety. Is yours a "G" model with decocker only?

Yes, the CC is a G variant with low profile levers.

s0nspark
08-16-2017, 07:26 AM
I have one P-07 that can't run a full magazine typically without a malfunction and a second one that runs excellent.

Here is another P-07 thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22258-Want-my-first-non-striker-P30-LEM-or-CZ-P-07/page2) and post #17 has pictures of my P-07 malfunctions.

Did you happen to try different recoil springs?

While I like the P-07 after shooting the PX4 compact carry side by side with my P-07. I'd go PX4 compact carry for my needs if I could do it over again.

I am a bona fide TDA convert and would probably feel ok carrying any well-made TDA gun but, personal preferences aside, the one of the biggest things that keeps me dedicated to the CZ P-07/P-09 is that they can be milled for an RMR.

I have spent a LOT of time and money over the past 7 years trying out all manner of guns - the P-07 was the one that convinced me it was time to settle down. I have one for carry, one for training and a ready to go spare (two of the three RMR'd with the third about to be sent off) as well as one I run with a flush mag and irons only for times when the RMR, threaded barrel and extended mag are harder to conceal due to clothing requirements.

I'm really anxious to try the forthcoming CZ stealth comp from Primary Machine ;-)

The gearhead in me will likely always be curious about other guns but for serious use my choice has been made. Now I focus the bulk of my energies (and money) on just learning to shoot better!

Pennzoil
08-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Did you happen to try different recoil springs?

Yeah thats the first thing I went after as it felt extremely over sprung.

I tried a number of things including taking it into CZ Custom as they're extremely close to me. After a lot of wasted time and around 1500 rds it still won't run. I've just shelved it in the safe and bought another gun as time is my most precious commodity anymore.

s0nspark
08-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Yeah thats the first thing I went after as it felt extremely over sprung.

I tried a number of things including taking it into CZ Custom as they're extremely close to me. After a lot of wasted time and around 1500 rds it still won't run. I've just shelved it in the safe and bought another gun as time is my most precious commodity anymore.

Wow - that is unusual to be sure. I typically run 15# recoil and hammer springs in my P-07s... and that is still probably a bit stout on the recoil spring side since the P07 and P09 call for the the same springs. (Note to self to try something a bit lighter...)

If it hadn't been done already, I'd change out the extractor to see if that helped the situation... but I totally get the time aspect. I am of an age where I don't like to fiddle with things overly much, especially when my fun time is so limited. :)

Lon
08-17-2017, 02:50 PM
I'm really anxious to try the forthcoming CZ stealth comp from Primary Machine ;-)

Preach it brother. Me too.

Lon
08-17-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm running a 12lb or 13lb recoil spring in my 07. Really helps with tracking and haven't had an issue with it cycling.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 06:19 AM
Preach it brother. Me too.

Primary Machine is finally taking pre-orders for their CZ Stealth Comp :-D

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/20905846_198073970730178_5744501011595132928_n.jpg

Press releases on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PrimaryMachine/photos/a.116145878728697.1073741835.103223393354279/503120073364607/?type=3) and/or Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6Jj4VDl6S/?taken-by=primarymachine)

Preorder HERE (http://primarymachine.com/cz-p-07-09-stealth-comp-pre-order/)

spinmove_
08-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Primary Machine is finally taking pre-orders for their CZ Stealth Comp :-D

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/20905846_198073970730178_5744501011595132928_n.jpg

Press releases on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PrimaryMachine/photos/a.116145878728697.1073741835.103223393354279/503120073364607/?type=3) and/or Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6Jj4VDl6S/?taken-by=primarymachine)

Preorder HERE (http://primarymachine.com/cz-p-07-09-stealth-comp-pre-order/)

I can see it now. Roland-ized P-07s....

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 07:36 AM
I can see it now. Roland-ized P-07s....

Almost there... at least with my own take on it. I have the stealth comp on order and a Surefire DG switch (the one for the M&P) coming as well to see how I take to it.

I may have the grip stippled on one of my P-07s to see how it turns out and a low-profile magwell might be nice at some point, should one become available.

Lon
08-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Almost there... at least with my own take on it. I have the stealth comp on order and a Surefire DG switch (the one for the M&P) coming as well to see how I take to it.

I may have the grip stippled on one of my P-07s to see how it turns out and a low-profile magwell might be nice at some point, should one become available.

I may ask for a barrel and comp for Christmas. My only concern with the stealth comp is how long it is. Since it's gonna be longer than a P-09 there won't be any "stock" holsters for it (unlike a Roland fitting a G34 holster). Having to cut the bottom out of an AIWB P-09 holster and having the comp sticking out the bottom doesn't sound comfy or safe.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 08:51 AM
I may ask for a barrel and comp for Christmas. My only concern with the stealth comp is how long it is. Since it's gonna be longer than a P-09 there won't be any "stock" holsters for it (unlike a Roland fitting a G34 holster). Having to cut the bottom out of an AIWB P-09 holster and having the comp sticking out the bottom doesn't sound comfy or safe.

For OWB I may just see if I can mod a Safariland 6360DO. I'm not sure if the mods to get the P-07 with RMR to lock in will prevent other guns from working - I also have a P-10C and a G17 I'd like to use in the same holster... since we're just talking range use.

AIWB, I will have new holsters made once I validate the comp's performance and any effect it may have on reliability.

I, too, would not feel as comfortable with a comp sticking out the bottom of the holster, especially during range sessions! :)

Matthew
08-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Wow - that is unusual to be sure. I typically run 15# recoil and hammer springs in my P-07s... and that is still probably a bit stout on the recoil spring side since the P07 and P09 call for the the same springs. (Note to self to try something a bit lighter...)

If it hadn't been done already, I'd change out the extractor to see if that helped the situation... but I totally get the time aspect. I am of an age where I don't like to fiddle with things overly much, especially when my fun time is so limited. :)

I'm running a 12lb or 13lb recoil spring in my 07. Really helps with tracking and haven't had an issue with it cycling.

What weight are the stock recoil and hammer springs?

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
What weight are the stock recoil and hammer springs?

18# recoil spring and 20# hammer spring IIRC.

ETA: I did not remember correctly LOL ... both springs are 20#

Mirolynmonbro
08-18-2017, 09:47 AM
The comp adds 1.2 inches. Shouldn't the OAL be less than a P09

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 10:28 AM
The comp adds 1.2 inches. Shouldn't the OAL be less than a P09

P-07 OAL is 7.2"
P-09 OLA is 8.1"

Close but not quite...

Mirolynmonbro
08-18-2017, 10:45 AM
That's what I get for looking at the urban grey model [emoji18]

Trigger
08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Who does your RMR installs with the suppressor sights? That looks well done.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Who does your RMR installs with the suppressor sights? That looks well done.

Mark Housel @ L&M Precision Gunworks (https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/)

Mark's work is top shelf! :)

Lon
08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Mark Housel @ L&M Precision Gunworks (https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/)

Mark's work is top shelf! :)

This. 19165

The Apprentice
08-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Just out of curiosity is anyone running these SAO with the safety instead of the decocker.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Just out of curiosity is anyone running these SAO with the safety instead of the decocker.

You mean modified to be SAO? Just swapping the decocker for safeties still leaves the gun DA/SA.

The Apprentice
08-18-2017, 04:57 PM
I ment in a cocked and locked configuration.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 05:04 PM
I ment in a cocked and locked configuration.

Gotcha. I know there is an SAO kit for the CZ 75 guns but didn't know of anyone who had a P-07/P-09 converted. There are some DAO guns out there though :-)

The Apprentice
08-18-2017, 05:10 PM
I think maybe I was unclear. What I mean is using the optional safety levers and just carrying cocked and lock instead of lowering the hammer. I know it is still a da/sa gun but just treating it as a SAO gun.

s0nspark
08-18-2017, 05:18 PM
I think maybe I was unclear. What I mean is using the optional safety levers and just carrying cocked and lock instead of lowering the hammer. I know it is still a da/sa gun but just treating it as a SAO gun.

I understood :) I know a few folks that run theirs that way.

I will say that I personally found the safety levers to be on the flat and slick side. As a result I did not have much of a comfort level that I could consistently actuate the safety under stress. Might just be my hands.

I felt similarly about the 75 series guns but liked the Shadow extended safeties.

I haven't had an issue with the P-07 decocker levers though.

The Apprentice
08-18-2017, 05:23 PM
I had one for awhile thats kind of what I remember but I never tried to switch the levers out.

Bill
08-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Love my P07 urban gray. Also appreciating how the third party market is starting to pick up for the platform. Excellent holsters out now, and just ordered the Primary machine comp. All that plus the excellent pre-existing support options from CGW and CzCustom and its a VERY attractive gun these days IMHO.

gruntjim
08-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Just scored a P-10C mag, and I can verify that it works just fine in the P-07.

This is as close as I get to infatuated with a pistol.

SSGN_Doc
08-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Just scored a P-10C mag, and I can verify that it works just fine in the P-07.

This is as close as I get to infatuated with a pistol.

The P07 I bought actually came with P10c mags in the box.

s0nspark
08-22-2017, 10:31 AM

The one I ordered last week did as well, but with different base pads.

Wheeler
08-22-2017, 10:51 AM

It's my understanding that from hence forth all of those series of magazines will be the newer P10 style.

s0nspark
08-22-2017, 11:03 AM
It's my understanding that from hence forth all of those series of magazines will be the newer P10 style.

Yep - compatible across both platforms.

My P-10C mags have the red followers and the base pads are more rounded; the newer P-07 mags have black followers and slightly angled base pads.

ETA: I quite like the red followers, although they really missed a great opportunity by not going with orange ;-)

Bill
08-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Anybody else pre-order the new primary machine P07 comp coming out next month? Czechland Special? Anyone? Do I get credit if that takes off?

SSGN_Doc
08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Yep - compatible across both platforms.

My P-10C mags have the red followers and the base pads are more rounded; the newer P-07 mags have black followers and slightly angled base pads.

ETA: I quite like the red followers, although they really missed a great opportunity by not going with orange ;-)

My mags have the red/pink followers. I was glad they are a slightly different shade. It makes it easier at the range to keep things sorted with a quicker glance. My Px4 compact mags already have orange followers. Most of my other mags run black followers. I do have some MecGars for my CZ 75s that have blue followers.

s0nspark
08-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Anybody else pre-order the new primary machine P07 comp coming out next month? Czechland Special? Anyone? Do I get credit if that takes off?

Mine will be #1 off the line.

Ok, I don't know that for sure but I'm guessing so since I bugged the living crap out of Bruce at Primary Machine about the CZ comps over the past month or so LOL

Lon
08-22-2017, 09:11 PM

There's been a thread over on the CZ forum about the 07 Rolandish Special for a few months. You may have to fight the OP for credit.

Bill
08-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Mine will be #1 off the line.

Ok, I don't know that for sure but I'm guessing so since I bugged the living crap out of Bruce at Primary Machine about the CZ comps over the past month or so LOL

Shit, I don't even know anyone over there on a first name basis. Will my insta-pics of my gun be late to the party? This will not do! ;)

In all seriousness, I'm pretty stoked. Gonna fit perfectly in my cnc holsters keroman. Is your plan to switch to the recommended 15lb recoil spring?

Bill
08-22-2017, 09:23 PM
There's been a thread over on the CZ forum about the 07 Rolandish Special for a few months. You may have to fight the OP for credit.

Ah, I'm not a member over there. Link? Seems like there's more than one CZ forum? Which one is for the cool kids?

s0nspark
08-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Shit, I don't even know anyone over there on a first name basis. Will my insta-pics of my gun be late to the party? This will not do! ;)

In all seriousness, I'm pretty stoked. Gonna fit perfectly in my cnc holsters keroman. Is your plan to switch to the recommended 15lb recoil spring?

LOL

Already running a 15# so we'll see how it does :)

Bill
08-22-2017, 09:24 PM
I have a 15 and 18 in the mail to me at present. You prefer the 15 for range/plinking ammo and full power SD type stuff?

s0nspark
08-22-2017, 09:28 PM
I have a 15 and 18 in the mail to me at present. You prefer the 15 for range/plinking ammo and full power SD type stuff?

Yep. I tried it out just cause I felt the gun was oversprung - I run a 15# hammer spring also as part of the CGW upgrades - I've not had a single issue out of it. I do tend to run "nice" ammo though. Mostly Speer Lawman and Winchester Ranger but occasionally Freedom reman. Always 147gr.

Lon
08-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Ah, I'm not a member over there. Link? Seems like there's more than one CZ forum? Which one is for the cool kids?

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=84782.60

Boom.

Mirolynmonbro
08-22-2017, 09:54 PM
15lb hammer spring in my 07s and 09 running 100% for me as well

SSGN_Doc
08-22-2017, 10:06 PM
15lb hammer spring in my 07s and 09 running 100% for me as well

Did you change out firing pin and firing pin spring? Or are you running the stock pin and spring?

Greg
08-22-2017, 10:53 PM
I run the 18 pound CGW hammer springs and they reliably pop crappy Tula and Wolf primers.

Curious if the 15 pound springs will do that?

s0nspark
08-23-2017, 05:25 AM
Did you change out firing pin and firing pin spring? Or are you running the stock pin and spring?

Yes. CGW extended FP, spring and retaining pin.

s0nspark
08-23-2017, 05:27 AM
I run the 18 pound CGW hammer springs and they reliably pop crappy Tula and Wolf primers.

Curious if the 15 pound springs will do that?

I am doubtful...it haven't shot Tula or Wolf in mine. I'll try to find some and give it a go.

Mirolynmonbro
08-23-2017, 05:33 AM
Did you change out firing pin and firing pin spring? Or are you running the stock pin and spring?Oops. I meant 15lb recoil spring.

I am running the 13lb hammer spring in my 09, but my 07s have the 18lber. I got a lot of light strikes with the 15lb in my 07s using S&B and Winchester primers. They all have the CGW extended firing pin and spring

SSGN_Doc
08-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Yes. CGW extended FP, spring and retaining pin.

Thanks. I would like to get that trigger pull just a little smoother. Factory pull is manageable out of the box from a practical standpoint. It does seem to hit a point about mid-pull in DA where it seems like it "cams" a bit more heavily and then goes back to similar effort as the beginning of the pull. I'd like to get the pull effort down to around 8lbs and get that camming sensation fixed. I'm wondering if the CGW rollers help with that change in leverage.

Of course reliability is the first and foremost quality I want to keep. Even if the pull effort wasn't reduced I think getting the pull effort evened out through the full length of the DA pull would be the most helpful thing I could improve in the trigger.

s0nspark
08-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks. I would like to get that trigger pull just a little smoother. Factory pull is manageable out of the box from a practical standpoint. It does seem to hit a point about mid-pull in DA where it seems like it "cams" a bit more heavily and then goes back to similar effort as the beginning of the pull. I'd like to get the pull effort down to around 8lbs and get that camming sensation fixed. I'm wondering if the CGW rollers help with that change in leverage.

Of course reliability is the first and foremost quality I want to keep. Even if the pull effort wasn't reduced I think getting the pull effort evened out through the full length of the DA pull would be the most helpful thing I could improve in the trigger.

From my experience, I'd say that the roller does certainly smooth things out and the reduced power TRS shaves a little off the pull weight but the biggest improvement by far was going from the stock 20# HS to the 18# and then the 15#. I did still notice the camming sensation you mentioned with the 18# HS but it seems to be absent on my guns with the 15#.

As I said, I have yet to have any light strikes or other issues with the 15# HS... but I'm sure that is ammo-dependent so it might not work out as well for everyone.

SSGN_Doc
08-23-2017, 12:25 PM
From my experience, I'd say that the roller does certainly smooth things out and the reduced power TRS shaves a little off the pull weight but the biggest improvement by far was going from the stock 20# HS to the 18# and then the 15#. I did still notice the camming sensation you mentioned with the 18# HS but it seems to be absent on my guns with the 15#.

As I said, I have yet to have any light strikes or other issues with the 15# HS... but I'm sure that is ammo-dependent so it might not work out as well for everyone.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for a "gaming" trigger, but a GOOD, defensive trigger. I don't plan on running a bunch of steel case through it. Most of my practice ammo is S&B, Magtech, Federal Champion. My carry ammo is usually Hornady Critical Defense, Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. Trigger reset is not a high priority for me to improve, the factory reset seems "combat adequate".

So, for a practical trigger I guess I'm liking toward:

Trigger reset spring, extended firing pin, reduced firing pin spring, 18# or 15# hammer spring, roller, reduced firing pin block spring.

Already have a JMCK holster inbound. Missed a deal on a used one. But don't mind getting a fresh one since I have one for my PX4 Compact, I already know what to expect.

timotab
08-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Something that helps the cam go away is to tweak the trigger bar spring so that it is below the opening for the de-cocker. Smaller rollers also require more trigger travel to drop the hammer and seem to reduce the cam feeling. It gets to a point where it won't drop the hammer if it's undersized though.

Bill
08-23-2017, 05:08 PM
I got my CGW stainless recoil spring rod and 15 and 18lb recoil springs today. I purchased them to try them out with the new comp coming out, thinking that they were lighter than the factory spring. . . But the 15lb spring feels significantly HEAVIER in the gun than the stock spring.

From what I read, the P07's used to come with the blue spring from the factory, and those were way too heavy. Mine has a captured guide rod and black flat wound spring from the factory. Anybody know what that spring is actually supposed to be rated at? Gun is an urban gray with sn # C1888xx.

Also regarding holsters: Can't speak highly enough about the iwb unit from HenryHolsters. Comes with the phlster tuckstrut on it, and is often in stock ready to ship immediately. Fit and finish is superlative.

Greg
08-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Something that helps the cam go away is to tweak the trigger bar spring so that it is below the opening for the de-cocker. Smaller rollers also require more trigger travel to drop the hammer and seem to reduce the cam feeling. It gets to a point where it won't drop the hammer if it's undersized though.

THIS - works very well.

Bill
08-24-2017, 09:34 AM
UPDATE: On the recoil spring question.

Spoke to Cajun, they still believe the P 07 Oem spring is 20lb (I'm thinking this info dates back to the Duty model)

CZ-USA Customer Service says the current OEM captured recoil spring is 13LBS! Which explains why it felt lighter than the 15lb cajun spring. Still slightly confused about the whole thing (as was Cajun when I called them back to pass along the info). How could a 20lb spring even run in the gun if could be replaced by a 13lb spring and still run the gammut of factor and SD loads?

s0nspark
08-24-2017, 10:09 AM
CZ-USA Customer Service says the current OEM captured recoil spring is 13LBS! Which explains why it felt lighter than the 15lb cajun spring. Still slightly confused about the whole thing (as was Cajun when I called them back to pass along the info). How could a 20lb spring even run in the gun if could be replaced by a 13lb spring and still run the gammut of factor and SD loads?

Interesting... perhaps they finally are acknowledging that the guns were really over sprung.

BTW, this comes straight from the CGW website - it is helpful in understanding how to choose a recoil spring weight ;-)

https://cajungunworks.com/technical-support/

How to select the proper recoil spring

The recoil spring is one of the most critical springs in a semi-auto pistol, yet most shooters install the wrong spring the vast majority if the time. To understand the recoil springs function, we need to examine what it does and how it works.

The recoil spring performs 5 tasks, all of which are critical for reliable function:

1. Controls the velocity of the slide when cycling
2. Allows the slide to achieve a full rearward stroke
3. Ejects the spent case the correct distance from the ejection port
4. Picks up and feeds the next cartridge
5. Positively locks the slide into battery

Item #1: the optimal slide velocity will eject a spent case, on average, 6 – 8 feet away from the shooters stance. This is the ideal slide velocity for reliable extraction, ejection, and subsequent feeding. Pistols that eject a case 12 feet or more will prematurely break a slide stop, can produce excessive muzzle rise or lift, and can increase felt recoil. The majority of the time folks follow the bad advice given on YouTube videos and on the internet telling folks to use a 10 or 11# recoil spring, which is incorrect unless you are using very light loads.

Item #2: the slide must travel its full stroke so the slide abuts the frame, just as it was designed to do. There is no such thing as “slide or frame battering” and the installation of recoil spring buffers can prevent the slide from achieving its full stoke. Recoil buffers can cause ejection problems by short cycling the slide, plus when the buffer breaks, as they all eventually will do, will drop broken shards into your CZ’s lock work, rendering your pistol inoperative. A full slide stroke allows the spent case rim to contact the ejector with full force, producing a strong, long distance ejection, a critical function for a reliable running pistol. Obviously you can only determine the correct ejection outdoors, so if you only shoot indoors, you must find somewhere to do some testing.

Item #3: there are 2 criteria for determining the correct recoil spring poundage: an ejection distance of 6 – 8 feet, and for competition shooters, how quickly your muzzle gets back on target. To heavy of a recoil spring can cause the muzzle to “dip”. To light of a recoil spring can make the muzzle rise to much and puts added stress on the slide stop pin. So finding the optimal spring can be trial and error. The OEM recoil spring weight in a full size 9mm CZ pistol is 17#’s, this includes the CZ-97 in .45 ACP. The compact 9mm metal framed CZ’s use an 16# recoil spring. The CZ P07 & P09 both use a 20# recoil spring. Each pound change in the recoil spring will change the ejection distance 1.5 – 2.0 feet. EXAMPLE: your out of the box SP-01 with a 16# recoil spring produces an ejection distance of 2.5 – 3.0 feet. To get this distance into the preferred 6 – 8 foot range, you would need to use either a 13# recoil spring (ejection distance would be 8.5 – 9.0 feet) or a 14# recoil spring (ejection distance would be 6.5 – 7.0 feet). Either would work fine.

Item #4: if your CZ has the correct recoil spring to match the pressure of your load, then mis-feeds, jams, and improper feeding are virtually eliminated. With the correct recoil spring installed, the main issue will be reduced to the magazines or the ammo. You DO NOT select the recoil spring based on bullet weight. You select the recoil spring based on the operating pressure of the load. A 115 grain bullet can produce a much higher operating pressure than a 124 or 147 grain bullet, with the powder charge being the determining factor. However, bullet weight can definitely affect operating pressure, if the same powder charge is used. The wrong recoil spring can produce double feeds, stove pipes, and angle jams where the slide has “crashed” into the case, pinching the cartridge. Very light recoil springs can result in failure for the slide to return fully into battery.

Item #5: since all semi-autos are reliant on quality ammo with the proper case crimp, sizing, and proper overall length, to light a recoil spring will allow a marginal cartridge to not fully chamber. However, in this instance, a marginal cartridge would have allowed the round to fully chamber with sufficient recoil spring poundage. It has been proven that to light a recoil spring can cause inconsistent lock-up, which can result in reduced accuracy. Remember, for any semi-auto to be accurate, the barrel must lock-up consistently, shot to shot. The correct recoil spring will ensure a positive lock-up.

As a side note, we get asked all the time, “if I change my recoil spring won’t I need to change my hammer spring”? Absolutely not. There is no relationship between the hammer and recoil spring. Let’s see why:

Some years back an enterprising individual mounted a motion sensor on a 1911 slide. With full power 45 ACP loads the slides total cycle time was 6 thousands of a second. This means the time the slide made actual contact with the hammer was even less. Much less. So in essence, you select your hammer spring for reliable ignition first and foremost, then you tune your recoil spring last to match the pressure of your load.

Bill
08-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the proper way to adjust recoil springs and tune the guns, but my question pertains to users knowing whats in their gun to start with. Critical to tuning is knowing if you want/need to go up or down in spring weight and you need a baseline to do that.

I ordered 18 and 15 springs thinking they were REDUCED power from OEM to tune the gun for use with a comp if need be, but its seems like I may have purchased two springs that are ENHANCED power, which are of no use to me for my purposes. Trying to fill in the gaps so others don't make the same error.

I have a message pending to the CZ armorers to see if they can confirm the factory spec sheet. Customer service at CZ was very polite and professional, but couldn't find any other info in their system to verify the 13lb oem p07 recoil spring spec. Not even in the parts department where replacement units are stocked. Questions also remain as to whether the P07 and 09 use the same springs and why the P09 would be sprung more heavily than its compact brother.

I'll update the thread when I hear back

s0nspark
09-20-2017, 11:36 AM

timotab
09-20-2017, 02:10 PM

How do you like the comp?

s0nspark
09-20-2017, 02:15 PM
How do you like the comp?

Initial impressions are favorable - I have yet to shoot it, though ;-)

I should have a range report up sometime over the next week and I'm planning to put a few different kinds of ammo through it so... I'll let you know :)

timotab
09-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Initial impressions are favorable - I have yet to shoot it, though ;-)

I should have a range report up sometime over the next week and I'm planning to put a few different kinds of ammo through it so... I'll let you know :)

I'm looking forward to hearing how it does. It looks slick. I've been thinking about getting another P07, have a Gen1 with all the CGW goodies installed except a hammer. Want to try a Gen2....someday I guess.

backtrail540
09-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Does it fit in a p09 holster or does it need to be open ended?

s0nspark
09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Does it fit in a p09 holster or does it need to be open ended?

No - it is just a bit too long. Open ended would work best...

That said, the heat gun and I plan to coerce my JMCK AIWB P-09 holster to comply. The bottom just needs to open up a bit. I'm hoping to do the same with a Safariland 6354DO ALS holster too.

Pics up once I get it to work... or pics of the melted kydex if I do not! hehe

SSGN_Doc
09-30-2017, 12:54 PM
I have had some time now to run the P07 and Px4 compact side by side on my last few range outings. In fairness, I have had the Px4 since about March and bought the P07 in August and have about 1,850 logged rounds through the Px4 and just over 500 through the P07. Both got some undocumented rounds through them shortly after purchase just to get a feel for them and what they like. So, add a couple hundred to each of those numbers. The Px4 has received stealth levers, a Wilson 12# hammer spring, some stippling, and the Ameriglo sights. The P07 is still box stock.

The targets in the pictures were shot somewhere between 3 and 5 yards and were done about as fast as I could go in a cadence drill before throwing rounds out of the 2" circle.

https://image.ibb.co/hUq93w/Px4_smaller.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/ezxYVb/P07_smaller.jpg

I still need more range time with the P07. I do not feel that there is enough difference in the shooting characteristics to be of much practical difference between the two. I feel that if I were without one the other would perform as an equal to the other. The P07 trigger is not as refined as the Beretta but I'm not seeing a practical difference as a carry gun in what I can do with it. The curved back of the Px4 slide does make for a bit more comfortable carry though. The Px4 also seems a bit more gentle in recoil and as I track the front sight seems to have less muzzle rise. My wife can operate the slide more easily on the Px4 as well.

https://image.ibb.co/bSte3w/P07_and_Px4_smaller.jpg

I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking up either as a carry option (Yes, I realize 500 or 700 rounds is not a lot for "vetting" the P07 as far as reliability goes, but if it make the 2,000 round mark with the same kind of reliability the Px4 has then it is a pretty good sign. So far it is off to a good start though).

Wheeler
10-01-2017, 12:50 PM
I have had some time now to run the P07 and Px4 compact side by side on my last few range outings. In fairness, I have had the Px4 since about March and bought the P07 in August and have about 1,850 logged rounds through the Px4 and just over 500 through the P07. Both got some undocumented rounds through them shortly after purchase just to get a feel for them and what they like. So, add a couple hundred to each of those numbers. The Px4 has received stealth levers, a Wilson 12# hammer spring, some stippling, and the Ameriglo sights. The P07 is still box stock.

The targets in the pictures were shot somewhere between 3 and 5 yards and were done about as fast as I could go in a cadence drill before throwing rounds out of the 2" circle.

https://image.ibb.co/hUq93w/Px4_smaller.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/ezxYVb/P07_smaller.jpg

I still need more range time with the P07. I do not feel that there is enough difference in the shooting characteristics to be of much practical difference between the two. I feel that if I were without one the other would perform as an equal to the other. The P07 trigger is not as refined as the Beretta but I'm not seeing a practical difference as a carry gun in what I can do with it. The curved back of the Px4 slide does make for a bit more comfortable carry though. The Px4 also seems a bit more gentle in recoil and as I track the front sight seems to have less muzzle rise. My wife can operate the slide more easily on the Px4 as well.

https://image.ibb.co/bSte3w/P07_and_Px4_smaller.jpg

I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking up either as a carry option (Yes, I realize 500 or 700 rounds is not a lot for "vetting" the P07 as far as reliability goes, but if it make the 2,000 round mark with the same kind of reliability the Px4 has then it is a pretty good sign. So far it is off to a good start though).

When you say the trigger on the P07 is not as refined as that of the PX4, was that comparison made prior to the new hammer spring in the PX4? I'm asking as I'm thinking about acquiring a PX4.

SSGN_Doc
10-01-2017, 05:45 PM
When you say the trigger on the P07 is not as refined as that of the PX4, was that comparison made prior to the new hammer spring in the PX4? I'm asking as I'm thinking about acquiring a PX4.

Yes, the Px4 trigger out of the box is smoother in it's DA trigger pull. The P07 has some stages or hitches in the pull along with a sensation of some camming toward the end of the pull which the Beretta lacks.

I mostly mention it out of a sense of full disclosure, since on the range and running the pistol, it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on how well I can shoot the P07. But, I know it would drive some folks nuts. Also, even in the limited 500 rounds through the P07, I'm either getting really used to its characteristics or it is actually smoothing out a bit. From what I read on CZ forums, most owners indicate the triggers reall seem to improve up to the 2k round mark just from shooting and wearing them in.

Wheeler
10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Yes, the Px4 trigger out of the box is smoother in it's DA trigger pull. The P07 has some stages or hitches in the pull along with a sensation of some camming toward the end of the pull which the Beretta lacks.

I mostly mention it out of a sense of full disclosure, since on the range and running the pistol, it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on how well I can shoot the P07. But, I know it would drive some folks nuts. Also, even in the limited 500 rounds through the P07, I'm either getting really used to its characteristics or it is actually smoothing out a bit. From what I read on CZ forums, most owners indicate the triggers reall seem to improve up to the 2k round mark just from shooting and wearing them in.

Thanks. I have a Gen 2 P07 with some springs swapped out, I've been quite happy with it thus far. I thought I had ran across a really good deal on a PX4 but it appears the seller has developed cold feet or perhaps wasn't really serious about selling it in the first place.

Bill
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Since the $200 I keep meaning to send to Cajun for the pro-package parts keeps getting absorbed into other projects, I figured I'd break down my stock p-07 and see what a little polishing would do for the trigger. . . I have to say, I'm actually pretty pleased. I did only the basics: the DA rubbing surfaces on the hammer and sear. The side flats of the hammer where it rubs the frame (which was a major offender in the staginess of the DA pull I suspect), trigger bar, and the hammer strut. Didn't touch any sear engagements at all. Cleaned everything up and greased well with tw25b. Everything inside still stock, springs and all. Weight didn't change noticeably, but the DA pull REALLY smoothed a good bit. The polymer rubbi-ness (totally a word) evaporated. All I used was 600 grit wet paper and a dremel polishing wheel w/flitz

s0nspark
02-21-2018, 01:10 PM
No - it is just a bit too long. Open ended would work best...

That said, the heat gun and I plan to coerce my JMCK AIWB P-09 holster to comply. The bottom just needs to open up a bit. I'm hoping to do the same with a Safariland 6354DO ALS holster too.

Pics up once I get it to work... or pics of the melted kydex if I do not! hehe

Well, I totally forgot to follow up :)

A few minutes with the heat gun while gently pressing the gun fully into the holster resulted in a slight flair. I really like this better than I would an open ended holster.

Mirolynmonbro
02-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Is any of the comp sticking out? I have an open ended P09 length holster and I get leg burn when shooting with the P09.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

s0nspark
02-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Is any of the comp sticking out? I have an open ended P09 length holster and I get leg burn when shooting with the P09.

A tiny bit ... but the pad I use keeps it pretty well away from my leg.

I’ll take some more pics to show details a bit better as soon as I get one of my frames back from NAF Solutions.

Clusterfrack
02-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Anyone keep their damaged FP retaining pin? I was thinking about how to diagnose wear on that part without disassembly. A 2mm punch just fits through the roll pin. Maybe a damaged roll pin would bind when you insert the punch?

Mirolynmonbro
02-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Here's the one from my 75bd. Can't remember how many rounds, probably two or three weeks of dry firing 4-5 days a week? Idk. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/c6068f152a801afbc8d1fee3800e9197.jpg

Clusterfrack
02-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Here's the one from my 75bd. Can't remember how many rounds, probably two or three weeks of dry firing 4-5 days a week? Idk. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/c6068f152a801afbc8d1fee3800e9197.jpg

Will a 2mm punch fit through it?

Mirolynmonbro
02-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Will a 2mm punch fit through it?Nope, I only have a 1.5mm and a 3mm punch. I found two more from a P07 and they are less damaged the one in the picture. A 1.5mm punch won't fit through them (the stock pins). The 1.5 punch does fit in the cgw roll pin, but not the 3mm punch. I don't have any damaged cgw roll pins

Clusterfrack
02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Thanks for checking!

TheNewbie
02-22-2018, 05:55 AM
Has the problem with the FP caused any serious issues for anyone?

Wheeler
02-22-2018, 12:57 PM
So this happened yesterday. I’ll try to get a range report in soon. 23988

s0nspark
02-22-2018, 01:02 PM
So this happened yesterday. I’ll try to get a range report in soon.

I used to have a Kadet kit for my CZ 75s but have yet to get one for my P-07s...

Let us know how it runs! :)

Mirolynmonbro
02-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Got a threaded barrel. Primary Machine stealth comp is ordered.

Now to wait for a second threaded barrel to trade nonthreaded barrel

timotab
04-14-2018, 11:58 AM
My Gen 1.
CZ Custom Htac rear and 6.5 FO front.
Polish and tweak per CGW/SCHMEKY.
CGW firing pin, reset kit, trs and 15# mainspring.
Stippled the grip myself, slide has been re-parkerized once.
Had the barrel throated to feed lead bullets better, cast 155 grain bullets and they are seated out pretty far.
DA-8# has a smooth but slight hitch, not noticeable at speed.
SA-3# Superb rolling break, very easy to maintain a sight picture.
I have a PX4CC. I feel it's a flip of the coin. Both are excellent at what they do. I find reloads to be easier with the CZ, a slight edge to the PX4 on the trigger pull.
25402 25403

NerdAlert
04-14-2018, 12:46 PM
I’ve been wondering what you guys are running for sights on these? I prefer a black rear/hi-viz front with a “number two” (POA/POI top of the blade) sight picture.

s0nspark
04-14-2018, 01:19 PM
I’ve been wondering what you guys are running for sights on these? I prefer a black rear/hi-viz front with a “number two” (POA/POI top of the blade) sight picture.

I have the CZ Custom plain black HTAC rear and green fiber front on my iron-sighted P-07. My RMR’d P-07s each have a custom-drilled green fiber Dawson suppressor height front with a matched plain black Glock? rear.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Gun #1
CGW/Dawson night sights
https://cajungunworks.com/product/40343-cz-p-07p-09-night-sights/
0.135” Rear notch
0.125” Front width

Gun #2
OEM Rear, blacked out: 0.115” notch
FO front sight 0.095” wide
https://cajungunworks.com/product/p-0709-fiber-optic-front-sight/

Johnnyjak
04-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Great thread. In the Czech Republic P-07 is mostly rated as: "I guess it is OK, but...meh". Striker fired pistols are all the rage. Positive impact: people are selling their P-07s in favour of new P10C and gen5 Glocks. Magazines are quite cheap too (1/2 to 3/4 price of Glock mags) so I gave it a try.
So far I like it a lot. Trigger, recoil characteristics, reliability - especially strong firing pin impulse - I do reload my own ammunition and once in a while I don't press primers deep enough. Glock didn't like this and such round didn't ignite with first strike, P07 didn't misfire so far.
I might even buy another one as a spare. My only concern is unknown durability. I know that Mike Pannone has one with fairly high round count - around 60 000 if I remember correctly. But it is only one sample. On the other hand I've found P-07 with cracked slide after 30 000 rounds and another two pistols with cracked barrel lugs. First specimen failed after around 2000 rounds and was repaired under warranty, second one has fired unknown number of rounds. Frankly barrel lug seems quite weak and I'm surprised that it doesn't fail more often...
Could any pistol forum member share their round counts? Thanks

Clusterfrack
04-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Great thread. In the Czech Republic P-07 is mostly rated as: "I guess it is OK, but...meh". Striker fired pistols are all the rage. Positive impact: people are selling their P-07s in favour of new P10C and gen5 Glocks. Magazines are quite cheap too (1/2 to 3/4 price of Glock mags) so I gave it a try.
So far I like it a lot. Trigger, recoil characteristics, reliability - especially strong firing pin impulse - I do reload my own ammunition and once in a while I don't press primers deep enough. Glock didn't like this and such round didn't ignite with first strike, P07 didn't misfire so far.
I might even buy another one as a spare. My only concern is unknown durability. I know that Mike Pannone has one with fairly high round count - around 60 000 if I remember correctly. But it is only one sample. On the other hand I've found P-07 with cracked slide after 30 000 rounds and another two pistols with cracked barrel lugs. First specimen failed after around 2000 rounds and was repaired under warranty, second one has fired unknown number of rounds. Frankly barrel lug seems quite weak and I'm surprised that it doesn't fail more often...
Could any pistol forum member share their round counts? Thanks

Thanks for the post. I hope I can visit the Czech Rep soon.

I don’t have a huge round count in my P07s yet, but so far so good.

Gun1: 2200 rounds
Gun2: 1000 rounds