PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Optic diameter?

BobR
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I recently lost the fiber optic for a TFO front sight on my Sig P226 while shooting. I have looked and cannot find the diameter FO to replace it with. It is larger than .040", I have a few extra rods for other sights on different pistols that I tried. Dawson Precision has several .060", .090", .100" green rods to choose from. I read in an old post on Sig forum from ToddG that...due to the tritium and radioactive nature :eek: Sig doesn't like you to replace the FO, instead they prefer I replace the entire sight. How hard can it be to replace?

agent-smith
01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I can't help you with the diameter; try going to a hobby store; they might have the "rods" for use in models, etc. for a LOT less.

At a local hobby shop, it was just a couple of bucks (maybe more than $2, but not much) for a foot or so. If they have it, just a foot or so of all of the diameters that are available and use whatever works best. I don't have experience at all with Sigs or their sights, but I thought I'd pass along the suggestion about the rod.

There might me some high end about the stuff used in Sigs that I'm not aware of, but I doubt it.

Edit - I'd just go here and buy a couple of feet of each available diameter:

http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowfilament.htm#BTF

It'd save you a lot of time.

BobR
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I can't help you with the diameter; try going to a hobby store; they might have the "rods" for use in models, etc. for a LOT less.

At a local hobby shop, it was just a couple of bucks (maybe more than $2, but not much) for a foot or so. If they have it, just a foot or so of all of the diameters that are available and use whatever works best. I don't have experience at all with Sigs or their sights, but I thought I'd pass along the suggestion about the rod.

There might me some high end about the stuff used in Sigs that I'm not aware of, but I doubt it.

Edit - I'd just go here and buy a couple of feet of each available diameter:

http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowfilament.htm#BTF

It'd save you a lot of time.