PDA

View Full Version : My Mossberg frustration

warpedcamshaft
07-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Here's my tale:

About a year ago I bought a 7+1 Mossberg 500 with ghost ring sights. It has been the worst gun I have ever purchased.

So far I have encounter the following:

1: Crappy plastic safety selector became harder and harder to actuate, and finally would not move. Replaced with Vang Comp oversized safety. The factory safety is a complete joke.

2: Shell Stop was extremely poorly fitted and the gun stopped working pretty quickly. Purchased and fit a new shell stop.

3: Magazine tube spring became weak and unreliable very quickly. Replaced with Wollf extra power spring.

and now....

4: The gun will not extract high brass premium buckshot shells such as federal premium flight control. The extractors slip over the ends of the shells and I have to tap them out with a dowel. I have encountered this issue over and over with the gun.

So now... I'll try some extra power extractor springs and inspecting the extractors.

Only redeeming factor is that it patterns very nice compared to the 870 I had for evaluation for a couple months.

Online research has indicated these problems are by no means rare with Mossberg commercial guns.

Kyle Reese
07-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Sell it & save up for a Beretta 1301 Tactical...

Mitch
07-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Did you talk to Mossberg about any of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST911
07-29-2017, 06:06 PM
1: Crappy plastic safety selector became harder and harder to actuate, and finally would not move. Replaced with Vang Comp oversized safety. The factory safety is a complete joke.

Breakage of the plastic safety occurs, but I don't know how material would affect travel. Sounds like something else afoot that you corrected during replacement.

3: Magazine tube spring became weak and unreliable very quickly. Replaced with Wollf extra power spring.

Normal, has been for many years. Mossberg magazine springs are terrible.

warpedcamshaft
07-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Did you talk to Mossberg about any of this?

I have about the extraction issues... awaiting their reply.

Safety selector and mag spring are needed upgrades... and I didn't want to dick around with the shell stop issue at the time.

warpedcamshaft
07-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Breakage of the plastic safety occurs, but I don't know how material would affect travel. Sounds like something else afoot that you corrected during replacement.

I think it had more to do with the plate under the polymer portion than the button itself.

Mitch
07-30-2017, 10:20 AM
Gotcha, I probably wouldn't have gone to the factory any sooner than you did either. Not worth the wait for some of that little stuff.

How hard was it to change the mag spring? I've heard before the stock ones are crappy, but having to take off the mag tube was a massive pain on the one older mossberg I had. Almost enough to make me spring for a 590 now.

warpedcamshaft
07-30-2017, 09:09 PM
How hard was it to change the mag spring? I've heard before the stock ones are crappy, but having to take off the mag tube was a massive pain on the one older mossberg I had. Almost enough to make me spring for a 590 now.

Not bad... I used a heat gun to release the thread locking compound and was able to twist the tube off with one hand.

warpedcamshaft
08-15-2017, 11:44 AM
I believe I have narrowed down the issue with the sticking shells.

Comparing the new Mossberg 500 to my older Mossberg 835, it is clear that the chamber is much rougher in the 500. I looked at about 4 other new Mossberg 500's and they also had a much rougher chamber finish than my 12-ish year old 835.

Does anyone know if you can get extra power extractor springs for Mossberg 500/590's?