PDA

View Full Version : Escaped inmate kills warden's daughter

LSP552
07-29-2017, 04:55 AM
Tragic!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/officials-escaped-prisoner-abducts-kills-assistant-wardens-teen-stepdaughter/

secondstoryguy
07-29-2017, 05:22 AM
Yep, pretty sad. Then again, why in gods name would you let your family live on "prison grounds" exposed to convicts. Seems like a bad idea to me.

John Hearne
07-29-2017, 06:48 AM
I went to college with a guy who was the son of a warden. He was the non-cop I knew to always have a gun. Admittedly, it was a tip-up Beretta but he was not naive when it came to the idea of retaliation through him to get to is dad. I don't doubt that he would have shot this rabid dog at the first opportunity.

Gray222
07-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Unfortunate and preventable.

LSP552
07-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Yep, pretty sad. Then again, why in gods name would you let your family live on "prison grounds" exposed to convicts. Seems like a bad idea to me.

A lot of prisons are remote and it's not uncommon to have housing for staff, especially senior staff. I've spent a lot of time at the Angola prison doing SWAT training over the years. Lots of the staff live there. I can't imagine working or having my family in a prison. Most cops would feel that way. Corrections is a different animal and no way would I have done it. Much respect for those who do.

blues
07-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Very sad news indeed. I hope there's a special place in hell for her murderer.

KPD
07-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Such a tragedy. Prayers out for the family.

My in-laws live on a prison compound. Very nice house with everything except cable and phone paid for. My MIL doesn't even change a light bulb. She calls down and they send an inmate from a work crew to do it. I have never been comfortable with letting inmates in their home, much less living with a hillside view of the whole prison.

Rex G
07-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Sad news. Prayers for the family.

On the larger subject, every time I drive to see my son, daughter-in-law, and grandson, I am reminded how closely they live to several prison and detention facilites, from FBOP to county level. (My son is with the FBOP.) Their relatively small city is not widely-known for it, but is very much a "prison town." Not so long ago, a group of inmates, leaving a religious service at the state prison in the area, made a mass run for the fences. One of the inmates, who very nearly escaped, was doing time for murdering an HPD officer.

Lost River
07-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I would not even think of putting my girls anywhere near those animals.

Heck, I won't let my daughters out of eyesight in a store. There is obviously no happy ending here, but at least they did not allow that evil piece of scum to breathe another night. If it was my child, or the child of a close friend, I too would have made damned sure he never left that trailer house alive, even if it meant bringing in a bulldozer, and leveling it. ZFG, even if it was a career ender.

It also serves as a reminder of why I teach my daughters to shoot. Bearing in mind that the 2 youngest are still in minion stage, and not ready, but the oldest is a fairly proficient shooter (for a kid) with a single action revolver thanks to mounted cowboy action shooting. While I really need to get her going on a G19, she is very competent with her Ruger Montados, and when we leave her alone at home, I am more worried about her making a mess of the house, than any issue with firearms.

We have also had hundreds of talks while driving about the realities of the world, and why a person (girl) needs to be independent, and rely on no-one else for their safety. As I have told her before, I will not always be around, so she needs to be able to think for herself, make smart choices, be able defend herself, and make her own money.

I actually show her news clips like these, to drive home the point, and tell her: "This is why".

When it is just her and I out in public, I show her the shady types, and what behavioral indicators are giving them away. This way she can spot them too. Hopefully by the time she flies the nest, she will not be quite as clueless as the average freshman college girl. Hopefully her sphere of influence will affect one or two others.

The heartache of the family of the girl, I can only imagine. It is every parent's nightmare. :(

SeriousStudent
07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
It's a pity Frank Hamer is no longer with us.

Gearqueer
07-29-2017, 05:16 PM
While watching this news story I was screaming at the TV. I've never been in corrections myself, but I did attend a hostage negotiator class with several corrections HN's. It seemed pretty apparent that female prison staff are aware that they are high risk victims for sex assault. Prison riots and hostage situations are more common than one may expect. History is littered with sex assaults on female staff.

Keeping an attractive teen daughter on prison grounds seems like a recipe for disaster. I had no idea this stuff happened. If anyone reading this ever runs into a "deal" where your prison offers you free housing please tell them to piss up a rope and resist the urge to be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
07-29-2017, 05:49 PM
While watching this news story I was screaming at the TV. I've never been in corrections myself, but I did attend a hostage negotiator class with several corrections HN's. It seemed pretty apparent that female prison staff are aware that they are high risk victims for sex assault. Prison riots and hostage situations are more common than one may expect. History is littered with sex assaults on female staff.

Keeping an attractive teen daughter on prison grounds seems like a recipe for disaster. I had no idea this stuff happened. If anyone reading this ever runs into a "deal" where your prison offers you free housing please tell them to piss up a rope and resist the urge to be cheap.

Just FYI - as LSP mentioned, many of the state prisons in LA (and some other southern states) are very remote prison farm complexes which cover many square miles. Angola state penitentiary for example is 18,000 acres or about 28 square miles.

There are usually several seperate prisons on the farm of varying security levels. The staff quarters are on the property but not inside the secure perimeter and normally not immediately adjacent to the individual prisons on the compex..

This would really be the same as living in one of the many small towns across the U.S. where the prison just outside town is the main employer.

Gearqueer
07-29-2017, 06:20 PM
According to the fake news the offender was a trustee doing some kind of work near the home. I can see how things are different at different places though for sure. Thanks HCM

Lost River
07-29-2017, 09:24 PM
It's a pity Frank Hamer is no longer with us.

There are no shortage of men with backbone and mettle like Hamer.

I call a couple of them friends.

The problem is that we have a society that no longer supports men who hunt down and kill animals who need killing.

As far as I am concerned, there are still cases where "He needed killing" is a perfectly reasonable response.

Unfortunately, too many people think that is a barbaric way of thinking today's society.

The animal in this story met that criteria, and fortunately it happened.

SeriousStudent
07-29-2017, 10:45 PM
There are no shortage of men with backbone and mettle like Hamer.

I call a couple of them friends.

The problem is that we have a society that no longer supports men who hunt down and kill animals who need killing.

As far as I am concerned, there are still cases where "He needed killing" is a perfectly reasonable response.

Unfortunately, too many people think that is a barbaric way of thinking today's society.

The animal in this story met that criteria, and fortunately it happened.

My apology if I gave any offense, it was certainly not my intention to denigrate the people involved in this manhunt.

What I should have expanded on was Captain Hamer was employed by the Texas department of Corrections during a time when rules were simpler. And our ideas coincide regarding apprehension of escaped murderers.

In my book, your friends are heroes.

Duelist
07-30-2017, 05:35 AM
I told my daughter this story, and that it is in my mind to give her a pistol before she returns to the university. She was more amenable to the idea than she has been in the past after a discussion about the ideal world we'd like to live in vs the real one we do, and the difference in desireability between being raped and murdered vs having to defend herself with lethal force.

We looked over all the pistols in the safe and are going shooting this week (she has been shooting casually since she was about 5), and I'm going to have her take the CCW class.

She asked me if it is okay at her school to have a gun. I told her there is a rule, but it isn't illegal, and that students are raped at her school every year, and students have been murdered there, but no university advertises that or makes it easy to find out about. So, informed and prepared, she will have to make her own decisions about it.

psalms144.1
07-30-2017, 08:24 AM
This is a horrible shame, and would be just as horrible if it happened to ANYONE's daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with the girl's family...

Lost River
07-30-2017, 03:17 PM
My apology if I gave any offense, it was certainly not my intention to denigrate the people involved in this manhunt.

What I should have expanded on was Captain Hamer was employed by the Texas department of Corrections during a time when rules were simpler. And our ideas coincide regarding apprehension of escaped murderers.

In my book, your friends are heroes.

Brother I was tracking right along with what you were saying and your apology is appreciated but totally not needed.

Hamer was a solid dude, but that was a different era compared to today.

As an example, when he went after Bonnie and Clyde, he did not even try to take them alive, especially after they had murdered so many folks. He just organized an ambush and when they came to a stop, they opened fire and put an end to those murderous scum.

Not too many people had much of an issue with it as far as I can tell.

Today if that were to happen, people and the media would go nuts, there would be calls for immediate prosecution,prison for all officers involved, and prosecutors, defense and civil attorney alike would be doing lots of sanctimonious hand wringing, trying to make a name for themselves and get as much "Face time" as they could with the cameras.

The breed of men who hunt men, who prey on the weak has not changed, but society has.

SeriousStudent
07-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Indeed, and much along the lines of what I was thinking.

How many people in our country know who Darren Wilson is, versus Frank Hamer? The former should be unknown outside his local area, and still a LEO if that was his wish.

Coyotesfan97
07-31-2017, 01:49 PM
It's "funny" how similiar the press that covered Frank Hamer in his day is to the press today. When I read the book about him I was struck by how they played the same cards even then.

Chuck Whitlock
08-02-2017, 10:12 AM
It's "funny" how similiar the press that covered Frank Hamer in his day is to the press today. When I read the book about him I was struck by how they played the same cards even then.

"If you do not read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed." - Mark Twain