PDA

View Full Version : Going to go burn some .45 in a FA Thompson tomorrow. Any questions I ought to ask?

Maple Syrup Actual
07-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Tomorrow (July 27) is scheduled to be a great day. I'm taking a full auto Thompson out and, presumably, shooting men in zoot suits or, possibly, escaping the coppers and robbing banks in East Chicago, see?

Anyway, it turns out the local ERT unit kept their 1930s Thompsons in working order all this time and I'm going to try to talk them into doing an upcoming raid using period gear because that would be awesome for reasons I don't feel I should have to explain. They've bravely agreed to let me goof around with one for a while, which I really can't explain.

I don't think I really know enough about these things to have a bunch of built-in questions to answer. So if anyone has outstanding questions not resolved by watching The Untouchables, fire away. I could use some intelligent questions, because I'm pretty much planning on just hosing bullets and alternating between saying "Natch, see? The dirty coppers can't put on over on old Missy" and "fuck, this is awesome".

Your thoughts?

Lester Polfus
07-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Enjoy. Thompsons are fun.

BehindBlueI's
07-27-2017, 12:02 AM
I don't think I really know enough about these things to have a bunch of built-in questions to answer. So if anyone has outstanding questions not resolved by watching The Untouchables, fire away. I could use some intelligent questions, because I'm pretty much planning on just hosing bullets and alternating between saying "Natch, see? The dirty coppers can't put on over on old Missy" and "fuck, this is awesome".

#1: Should you still see a doctor if the resulting erection lasts more than 4 hours?
#2: If you could sleep with any female celebrity or shoot the FA Thompson, what would you wear to the range?
#3: Seriously, that 4 hour thing, should I be concerned?

Oh, and smack yourself in the face with a hot iron if you don't put it in a violin case at least once.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Oh no

I have no violin case

face smacking ensues

BehindBlueI's
07-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Oh no

I have no violin case

face smacking ensues

There's still time...right?

You've at least got a fedora. Tell me you've got a fedora.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-27-2017, 12:08 AM
I have to be at the range at 9 am.

Man, tomorrow morning is going to involve some pretty frantic shopping.

OlongJohnson
07-27-2017, 12:17 AM
Oh no

I have no violin case

face smacking ensues

There's got to be a thrift store you can knock over on the way to the range.

Pinstripes? What color tie?

Josh Runkle
07-27-2017, 08:56 AM
I'd be asking local gun stores if they would be able to deliver a pallet of ammo last-minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithjd
07-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Most. Fun. Shooting. Ever. Mag dumps in a B8 at 5-7 yards possible. Kind of like that game at the fair where you have to shoot out the star with BB machine guns, but real.

We have a couple 1928 Navy Overstamps. I want to take one on a raid before I retire.

Peally
07-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Ask obnoxious questions like HOW MANY NAZIS CAN I KILL WITH THIS

fatdog
07-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Get your picture taken firing with the butt against your chin....a must have photo...18455

Maple Syrup Actual
07-27-2017, 12:35 PM
I am having the best day.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/5c1fcbe78da8c75ecc4cf9b0b29fd282.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
07-27-2017, 01:03 PM
<-checks for fedora, shakes head sadly

SeriousStudent
07-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Tomorrow (July 27) is scheduled to be a great day. I'm taking a full auto Thompson out and, presumably, shooting men in zoot suits or, possibly, escaping the coppers and robbing banks in East Chicago, see?

Anyway, it turns out the local ERT unit kept their 1930s Thompsons in working order all this time and I'm going to try to talk them into doing an upcoming raid using period gear because that would be awesome for reasons I don't feel I should have to explain. They've bravely agreed to let me goof around with one for a while, which I really can't explain.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I want to be you when I grow up some day.

And good luck on the 4-hour window BehindBlueI's mentioned.

Buckshot
07-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Lean into it aggressively. Tommygun stocks have an obscenely long LOP, so don't be scared of trying a high underarm tuck with it. Make sure & brush your teeth first 'cause you're gonna do a lot of smiling! A dear buddy let me & my wife dispose of a case of W-W white box thru his 1928A1 last year - good times!
This pic is from a visit for some repair work rather than the fun day.

LockedBreech
07-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Superb pictures of amusing times with the Thomas gun.

Odin Bravo One
07-27-2017, 08:00 PM
https://youtu.be/6ZbbIK-7U_0

Love me some Tommygun

Lester Polfus
07-27-2017, 08:13 PM
I almost didn't post this, after seeing Sean's video, but I will anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTv-I2Y390

Odin Bravo One
07-27-2017, 08:31 PM
It's a cool vid

alohadoug
07-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Wish this was FA. Was at an American Zoot Shoot Association match a couple of years ago.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-27-2017, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fGONawdng

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Alright Misanthropist ya got me convinced I need to take my nephew up on his offer & get down to his ranch in Refugio cty. to bond w/ his Thompson.

He has a FA Colt that's also stamped NY DOC as it came out of Attica state prison a long time ago, where's that young man's ph. number?

MistWolf
07-30-2017, 12:15 PM
You've at least got a fedora. Tell me you've got a fedora.

<-checks for fedora, shakes head sadly
All men have a fedora

Hambo
07-31-2017, 01:51 PM

Hell, yeah, get your Dillinger on. Thompsons and BARs are my favorite full auto weapons. I don't care that they're too heavy for what they are. You'll mow your enemies down on style points alone.

Coyotesfan97
07-31-2017, 03:18 PM
A full auto Thompson is one of the sub guns I've always wanted to shoot.

deputyG23
07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
I wonder how many Thompsons are still in police armories. Forsyth County, NC recently traded two, I think, for a bunch of rifles. They were bought for the Sheriff's Office in 1927 by the R.J Reynolds Tobacco Company.
I have been told by a credible source that Virginia State Police has a huge stock of Thompson parts. Bet they still have a few operational guns still there.

Odin Bravo One
07-31-2017, 10:34 PM
Mine belonged to a VA LE Agency before it was sold for "better" equipment. I tried talking to the captain at the agency, but unfortunately it was his predecessor who had all the answers. He also hinted that VASP had a stash of parts....... anyone want to put in a good word? Ya know, in the event they feel like liquidating some to an honest, upstanding citizen......?

Hambo
08-01-2017, 01:58 PM
A full auto Thompson is one of the sub guns I've always wanted to shoot.

See the look on his face after the burst from the hip? You really need to experience that.

Gray222
08-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Turning money into noise! Must have been a blast.

Peally
08-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Our sheriff dept got rid of theirs. Like so many other departments around the country saving an incredible piece of history was less important than making a couple bucks in a trade.

mrozowjj
08-02-2017, 12:26 AM
I am so obscenely jealous.

Maple Syrup Actual
08-02-2017, 01:14 AM
See the look on his face after the burst from the hip? You really need to experience that.

Yeah, I don't usually get that look in public.

Turning money into noise! Must have been a blast.

There is a part of me that almost feels guilty about this abuse of taxpayer dollars, particularly the amount of .45 we burned...BUT: the magazine does intend to publish some fairly extensive stuff about the shooting enthusiasts within the local PD, and the competitive target shooting league they run, and their support of other competitive, recreational shooting. So in a sense, that was pretty cheap advertising for them that will hopefully buy some goodwill.

Matt O
08-02-2017, 08:02 AM

Shooting Sean M's Thompson several years back at a range day was a spiritual experience. American steel and an arc of 45 casings in the air leaves a lasting erec...err impression.

willie
08-06-2017, 05:04 AM
In the early 1980s I used to enjoy shooting a 1928 Thompson with a Cutts installed and using a 50 rd drum mag. You'll be surprised at the weight. It's a heavy weapon. Also, you'll be surprised at how easily you can hit with it. By holding it more in front and to the center of your body, it'll have less tendency to shift to the left as it rises if you cut loose with a long burst. Don't forget to ask if it's been lubed. If not, give the old girl a shot of oil. Out of curiosity, look through the bore and see the effects of corrosive ammo use and neglect along the way. Try a burst without earmuffs just for grins.

Westtexasrancher
08-06-2017, 06:40 AM
What a nice gathering of Thompson folks. While you're here....who is a trusted gunsmith to work on a FA Thompson for a buddy? Failure to fire issues. Springs all swapped, clean and oiled. 70s manufacture.

willie
08-06-2017, 08:08 AM
I reread my thread. I spoke in error when I mentioned the Tommy gun recoiling up and left. I meant to say up and right I'm right handed so the correction refers to a right handed shooter.

A question about repair was asked. I think that shipping a class 3 weapon has its own rules. The big gun class 3 gun range in Las Vegas would be my first place to seek information.

Malamute
08-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Mine belonged to a VA LE Agency before it was sold for "better" equipment. I tried talking to the captain at the agency, but unfortunately it was his predecessor who had all the answers. He also hinted that VASP had a stash of parts....... anyone want to put in a good word? Ya know, in the event they feel like liquidating some to an honest, upstanding citizen......?

Is $1600 a reasonable price for a complete WWII 1928 gun with torch cut receiver? May be a good parts gun if so.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677757324

Westtexasrancher
08-06-2017, 03:05 PM
What a nice gathering of Thompson folks. While you're here....who is a trusted gunsmith to work on a FA Thompson for a buddy? Failure to fire issues. Springs all swapped, clean and oiled. 70s manufacture.

Couldn't edit. I saw m60 joe recommended once. Anyone know who would be the best? Obviously a pricey piece, so needs to be done right. It's sure a blast when it runs.

LockedBreech
08-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Man, I've always been chuffed with the times I've shot a full-auto MP5 and P90, but that doesn't even register next to a Thompson.

Odin Bravo One
08-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Is $1600 a reasonable price for a complete WWII 1928 gun with torch cut receiver? May be a good parts gun if so.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677757324

Too much. There are plenty of parts available thru a variety of vendors, and the costs aren't prohibitive. But I also know that at the organizational level, many places make poor decisions when it comes to the disposition of antiquated equipment.......id rather someone send me their parts bins than toss them in the trash in ten years because they don't know what they have.

Robinson
08-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Try a burst without earmuffs just for grins.

Please ignore that bit of advice.

willie
08-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Robinson gave the op good advice. I want him to grin wider. Maybe that's why I can't here now.:)
'