PDA

View Full Version : How to interact with police while armed

Sterling Archer
07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Given events of late, like the Damond shooting and police attacks, I felt compelled to write an article on how to interact with police. I'm always interested in feedback as well.

https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/07/20/how-to-interact-with-police-while-armed/

ST911
07-21-2017, 05:44 PM
I'm a big fan of this 2011 quip from Farnam.

21 July 11
Advice to legal CCW license-holders:

Most states now issue CCW licenses to non-police citizens with no criminal record. In those states, CCW licenses cannot be arbitrarily denied. They’re not hard to get, for the most part. The CCW license itself does not require the holder to carry a concealed gun, nor, for that matter, to even own a gun! It simply gives him the option, at his discretion. Some states, such as FL, have had their CCW statute in place for several decades now. In other states, such as WI, its passage and implementation is very recent.

A few states legally require all CCW License holders to “promptly inform” police officers with whom they come in close contact (such as in a traffic-stop) of their legally-armed status. Most states have no such requirement. Even where there is such a requirement in law, the manner in which it is to be actually carried out by the CCW licensee is not specifically described.

Most individual police officers and police executives have no objection to these “shall-issue” CCW laws, and have in fact, secured CCW licenses for their own spouses and other eligible family members. However, some officers, even entire departments, still exhibit a depraved anti-gun agenda that has led to unnecessarily disagreeable, even menacing, confrontations with legitimate CCW licensees.

Here is my advice to CCW licensees:

1) Be in bed by ten o’clock! Police regard those who are up and about late at night as less respectable, and more dangerous, than “normal” people, who sleep during the night and are active during daylight hours. A “nocturnal” life-style is fraught with peril and unhappiness!

2) Have a “normal” appearance. Police officers automatically focus on “unusual” things and circumstances. That’s their job! Simply looking “normal” goes as long way toward putting police officers at ease. Who insist on covering themselves with tattoos, dyeing their hair purple, and having a “face-by-Ace-Hardware” will discover that they garner a great deal of attention, most of it unwanted.

3) Keep your pistol discreetly concealed, and don’t talk about it. The vast majority of people with whom you associate should never know it is there.

4) Stay away from places where people are in a highly-emotional state. Emotionally-charged sporting events, political rallies, picket-lines, et al are good places not to be. When confronted by highly-emotional people, politely disengage and withdraw.

5) Don’t hang-out with boisterous, slatternly, rowdy people, nor with people who have been drinking excessively. They will have an unhappy evening. Don’t join them!

6) Be a courteous, cautious, conservative driver. Don’t speed and don’t show-off. Who do, had better get used to talking with police!

7) When pulled over in traffic by police, don’t voluntarily bring up the subject of guns, unless required by law. In that case, put it something like this, “Officer, I have a permit. Would you like to see it?” Drive a “normal-looking” car. Keep you hands in plain view. Be polite, but boring. Don’t “interrogate” police. Answer questions truthfully, but don’t be chatty. Don’t volunteer information. Don’t answer questions that weren’t asked! When around police, don’t verbalize the term, “gun.”

8) When berated, even threatened, by police, do not answer in kind. Remain calm and polite. Indicate to them that you want to talk with their supervisor. When bombarded with accusations and threats, indicate to them that you want your lawyer personally present before answering any further questions. Repeat as necessary.

9) Don’t fail the “attitude test!” Displaying a belligerent, arrogant, combative attitude around police will almost certainly lead to caustic confrontations and a cheerless evening. Be always even-tempered, polite, reasonable, and in-control, never loud and defensive.

Here is my advice to my brother police officers:

1) Get over it! It’s the law now. Your personal opinion is irrelevant. Besides, no class of citizens represents less of a threat to police officers than do legal CCW license-holders. They are the ones we should fear least!

2) Don’t ask legally-armed citizens why they own, and carry, guns. Frankly, it’s none of your business! They are merely exercising their rights as Americans and as citizens of your state. It is no different than attending the church of their choice or writing letters to their Congressman. None of those activities are immoral, nor illegal.

3) Don’t pointlessly humiliate and denigrate people legally carrying concealed guns. No legitimate purpose is served in stripping them of their dignity by disarming them in public and in front of their families and friends. Legally concealed guns need to stay in holsters, out of sight, and out of conversation. The last thing you want is a gun being waved around inside a car, because you indicated that you “wanted to see it!”

A little respect goes as long way, both ways!
/John

holmes168
07-22-2017, 08:03 PM
good article and blog. got me interested in the NTMG steel shooting. i have never shot a competition before, but think i may give it a try next month. as a sidenote- where have you found is the best place to shoot in the DFW area? i am on the north FW side.

Bigghoss
07-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Pretty good article. I've only ever had to tell an officer I was armed twice. Both times I was pulled over for speeding when I knew I was speeding so my first bit of advice to anyone is to not do anything to get stopped by the police in the first place. Both times I rolled down my window, shut off the engine, and kept both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. I let the officer introduce himself and say what he was going to say and as soon as he was finished before doing anything I tell them I have a carry permit and that I'm in possession of a loaded firearm. I have chosen to volunteer the information even when not required because I figure if I tell them up front it probably won't be an issue but if somehow they find out later they might be put off. Plus it's more of a CYA thing. If I tell them when I don't have to they appreciate it but if I don't realize that I'm required to and I don't then I could be in serious trouble. I try to be careful with my wording and I mention the carry permit first, then the gun. I wait for the officer to respond to that, both times they asked the location of the guns but didn't ask me to surrender them or to see them at all so they were left where the were. Then I tell them exactly what I'm going to do before I've even taken my hands off the wheel and all moves are slow and deliberate. Both times went very well but both times were in conservative gun-friendly areas where exposure to legally-armed citizens was likely common.

Sensei
07-23-2017, 12:30 AM
This topic has already been covered by Chris Rock. ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

David S.
07-23-2017, 09:38 AM
good article and blog. got me interested in the NTMG steel shooting. i have never shot a competition before, but think i may give it a try next month. as a sidenote- where have you found is the best place to shoot in the DFW area? i am on the north FW side.

Most public ranges in the DFW area seem to limit "rapid fire" and drawing from a holster.

Proactive Defense (proactivedefense.net) in Northlake. I35W and 1171, on the same property as Quail Creek Shooting Range. Outdoor range. Nice folks and facilities. When I joined, I received a better-than-average safety briefing. They'll let you rapid fire and after a brief checkout, they'll let you draw from a holster, including AIWB, if that's your thing. They have a 10, 25 and 75 yard range, IIRC. Handguns and rifles allowed. Busy on weekends, dead during the week.

I shoot at Dallas Pistol Club (http://dallaspistolclub.com/) in Carrollton, TX. Private gun club. When you join, you get a gate code and can come and go as you please. Very nice facility. Inexpensive. First come, first serve. Scheduled competitions often take over the entire facility on weekends. Long waiting period to join. Pistols only.

For IDPA, check out http://ctasa.club/. They do stuff all over the FW side of town.

holmes168
07-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Most public ranges in the DFW area seem to limit "rapid fire" and drawing from a holster.

Proactive Defense (proactivedefense.net) in Northlake. I35W and 1171, on the same property as Quail Creek Shooting Range. Outdoor range. Nice folks and facilities. When I joined, I received a better-than-average safety briefing. They'll let you rapid fire and after a brief checkout, they'll let you draw from a holster, including AIWB, if that's your thing. They have a 10, 25 and 75 yard range, IIRC. Handguns and rifles allowed. Busy on weekends, dead during the week.

I shoot at Dallas Pistol Club (http://dallaspistolclub.com/) in Carrollton, TX. Private gun club. When you join, you get a gate code and can come and go as you please. Very nice facility. Inexpensive. First come, first serve. Scheduled competitions often take over the entire facility on weekends. Long waiting period to join. Pistols only.

For IDPA, check out http://ctasa.club/. They do stuff all over the FW side of town.

I have shot at Proactive Defense before- it's a pretty good outdoor range. I was thinking about doing one of their classes later this year. Usually I shoot at the Alliance ShootSmart which isn't a bad indoor range. I am a bit miffed that they are raising their membership rates- so I am shopping around for a new place to shoot. I'll check out the IDPA link- I would like to just see how I stack up against others.

Sterling Archer
07-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks. The best range I've found is TDSA. It's an outdoor range located in Ferris. Only rule is be safe, otherwise run and gun to your hearts content.

I recommend Dallas Pistol Club's steel matches as well. Especially for people who haven't competed before.