PDA

View Full Version : Week 226: Gunsite 499 Skills Test

Mr_White
07-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Week 226: Gunsite 499 Skills Test

Results may be posted until August 21st, 2017.

Range: 3-50 yards
Target: Two IDPA, or other silhouette targets with an 8" circle
Start Position: Holstered, see below for alternative
Rounds Fired: 20

This is the skills test in Gunsite's Advanced Defensive Pistol (499) class. Thanks to Kevin B. for the suggestion!

Set up two IDPA targets (or other silhouette targets with an 8" circle.) Shots inside the 8" circle score 5 points. Shots on the target but outside the 8" circle score 2 points. Overtime shots count as misses and score no points. There are 100 possible points. The entire test is shot from the holster - however, that requires a pretty fast draw. If you cannot safely contend with the times demanded while drawing from the holster, then start from ready instead and note it when you report your results. If you cannot shoot Strings 5 and 6 due to distance limitations at your range, either omit those strings or substitute a smaller target such as the head box only, at the greatest distance you can (presumably 25 yards.) Just note what you did in your results.

Procedure:

String 1: 3 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 2 seconds

String 2: 7 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 3 seconds

String 3: 10 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 5 seconds

String 4: 25 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 6 seconds

String 5: 35 yards, start standing, drop to kneeling, 2 rounds on ONE TARGET ONLY, 4 seconds

String 6: 50 yards, start standing, drop to prone, 2 rounds on ONE TARGET ONLY, 8 seconds

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
Start position (holstered or ready)
Total number of points out of the possible 100
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

52Hubcap
07-21-2017, 02:44 PM
What is the distance between targets?

Mr_White
07-21-2017, 02:49 PM
What is the distance between targets?

I looked but haven't been able to find the answer. My guess is one yard, but it might be three yards or something else. There are a number of people here on PF who have been to Gunsite - I wonder if any of them know. However you space them, just put it in your results, no big deal.

GJM

DG12
07-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Equipment used: Sig 229, T shirt concealment AIWB
Start position: holstered
Total number of points out of the possible 100 (31 out of a possible 80 for me, dropped 40 points on strings one and two for not meeting the time standard)
Anything you noticed: I've never done this drill before and enjoyed it. I omitted strings 5 and 6 due to range limitations. I ran string one a few times after I was finished and don't think I can physically shoot it under two seconds right now without dedicated practice or some sort of coaching, advice, etc. I guess I should have filmed myself and posted it. The fastest I did string one in my reruns was 2.12 and that felt like blasting away although the hits were good. I should have taken more time on the 25 yard string, although shooting with any sort of time standard from 25 yards is a major weakness. Strings 6 and 7 would have made my score plummet most likely as anything beyond 25 yards is brutal for me.

String 1: 3 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 2 seconds: 2.39, 0 points

String 2: 7 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 3 seconds: 3.02, 0 points

String 3: 10 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 5 seconds: 3.79, 20 points

String 4: 25 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 6 seconds: 5.17, 11 points

MVS
07-28-2017, 07:43 PM
G17 MOS w DPPro USPSA CO gear
Holstered

String 1 Clean in 2.5 so -5
String 2 Clean in 3.06 so -5
String 3 Clean in 3.82
String 4 2 "c"s in 5.33 so -6
String 5 1 "C" in 3.7 so -3
String 6 2 "C"s in 7.35 so -3

Total points 78
When I say "C"s, I was using an USPSA target with a 8 inch circle in the A zone. So outside of that was c.

For me, the tough part was the close and far strings. Far because I never work prone. Close because that is a dang fast par. After running this twice I went to the 50 and worked a mag from prone using the same par as the test calls for. I then went to the 3 yard line and shot that one for 3 mags. I could not do it in under 2 seconds until I forced myself to now look for the dot and just put the viewscreen over the circle and press the trigger. Made it 3 times in a row then.

MVS
07-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Equipment used: Sig 229, T shirt concealment AIWB
Start position: holstered
Total number of points out of the possible 100 (31 out of a possible 80 for me, dropped 40 points on strings one and two for not meeting the time standard)
Anything you noticed: I've never done this drill before and enjoyed it. I omitted strings 5 and 6 due to range limitations. I ran string one a few times after I was finished and don't think I can physically shoot it under two seconds right now without dedicated practice or some sort of coaching, advice, etc. I guess I should have filmed myself and posted it. The fastest I did string one in my reruns was 2.12 and that felt like blasting away although the hits were good. I should have taken more time on the 25 yard string, although shooting with any sort of time standard from 25 yards is a major weakness. Strings 6 and 7 would have made my score plummet most likely as anything beyond 25 yards is brutal for me.

String 1: 3 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 2 seconds: 2.39, 0 points

String 2: 7 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 3 seconds: 3.02, 0 points

String 3: 10 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 5 seconds: 3.79, 20 points

String 4: 25 yards, 2 rounds in each of the two targets, 6 seconds: 5.17, 11 points

[.

I could be wrong, but I took it as that only the overtime shots netted you zero points, you didn't forfeit the whole string. I could be wrong though. Can we get a call on that?

DG12
07-28-2017, 08:32 PM
MVS, you might be right. Honestly, I read the rules so fast it didn't even occur to me that you're way of thinking may be correct. Thanks for pointing that out and it'll make me feel a lot better! Have a great weekend.

GJM
07-28-2017, 09:53 PM
It has been twenty years since I took 499, and a few since 599, but my recollection is the school test is on turning targets. The listed times may not include some turning time, and "over time" the targets are no longer visible.

SsevenN
07-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used) HK P30L LEM, KSG ARMORY CUSTOM AIWB
Start position (holstered or ready) HOLSTERED
Total number of points out of the possible 100 79/100
Anything you noticed This was very hard, I think I could score significantly better if I make more use of the time and practice a bit of kneeling and prone stuff.

STRING1

https://youtu.be/mvS4h2732_g

STRING2

https://youtu.be/4abvvqRfSmo

STRING3

https://youtu.be/el_yvkMgdqE

STRING4

https://youtu.be/85JcQyEqgeY

STRING5

https://youtu.be/waTh5qBP3tU

STRING6
******START AT 50 SECONDS IN******

https://youtu.be/s8vNAyoJtVQ

1Rangemaster
08-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Equipment: Gen4 19, Warren/Sevigny night sights, Alabama kydex holster, friction retention, unconcealed. Winchester 147 gr. ammo/
Start Position: Holstered,unconcealed.
Notes: Took advantage of a friends invitation to a police range with 50 yard line. Friday afternoon, with no activity on the range. GJM is correct about the turning targets, maybe .25 second extra for turn(?). At GUNSITE, the targets are separated by 4-6 feet, if memory serves.
I am not satisfied with this performance, but unfortunately don't have access to 50 yards on demand. One bright point: 50 yard hits were a dead center "X" and one a little high ("throat?"). I will be shooting this again on a local indoor range with turning targets back to 25 yards-head shots for the kneeling and prone. Like this, with the tight time and longer distances-thanks for posting it!

1Rangemaster
08-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Equipment: Basically as in previous post.
Start position: Same-holstered, unconcealed.
Notes: As noted, this was on a 25 yard indoor range-:(
Points were a bit better, all hits on target, kneeling and prone "headshots" at 25 yards-3/4 low. Seems a bit weird that points identical on both days. Did note that left hand target shot grouping a couple of inches left. I attribute that to order of targets shot(right to left); I was slinging the pistol to make times.
I like this test, although it takes my measure. Tight times, especially at 3&7 (for me), and the long distances should be addressed occasionally-thanks for putting it up!