PDA

View Full Version : PX4 field pistol/woods gun

call_me_ski
07-18-2017, 10:28 AM
So now that the PX4 seems to have found its way into the holsters of the intelligencia on this forum I was wondering if anyone had considered this pistol in this role.

I have been working with my PX4 and it looks like with some more training it will be what will displace my Glock 19 as my primary EDC. With this in mind, I have been mulling over a dedicated gun to carry around while hiking.

I have been looking at the Special duty. My primary concern is it's ability to function with .45 supper reliably and still exhibit some durability. They seem to be priced similarly to a USP and they would share the same manual of arms as the Compact carry that will likely find its way into my holster soon. The extra half inch of barrel would also squeeze some extra velocity when compared to its normal full size pistol and the magazines and internal components have better coatings which is always welcome. The normal rifling might make function with hard cast bullets better compared to the USP and the non threaded barrel is not a concern to me in this role.

Interestingly, Ballistics by the inch has the PX4 SD listed as one of the test pistols on the .45 super page and Beretta states the pistol was designed to handle hot loads in their description. What am I missing? Has anyone used a PX4 in 45 in this role or shot any quantity of .45 super out of one?

How are the range manners of the .45 pistol compared to the 9mm PX4s?

Jalez
07-18-2017, 11:25 AM
I've shot the PX4 .45 and it was very mild for a .45 in my opinion, was able to stay on target very well. As far as field gun, I have faith in my 9mm Storm Compact but that being said, they do like to "run wet", so a little more care than a Glock would be advisable. Take some CLP and a small tube of oil and you would be set

Bigghoss
07-18-2017, 11:34 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25291-9mm-Outdoor-Load

GJM
07-18-2017, 11:39 AM
If you are going to run regular .45 acp or +P ammo, I think most good .45 acp pistols should work.

I don't believe you necessarily need Super ammo in lower 48, but once you get to Super, I really like the USP FS .45 as they have been vetted for so many years, they have that dual recoil spring which makes them work with a wide range of loads, and they can be bought used down in the $500 range on GB.

JonInWA
07-18-2017, 12:21 PM
I have essentially three criteria for a woods gun:

1. Is the gun in an adequate caliber for what I'm likely to face?

2. Is the gun reliable in face of any conceivable circumstances encountered?

3. Is the gun capable of being relatively easily and quickly field-stripped, and, if necessary, detail-disassembled (or partially detail-disassembled) and reassembled if the gun is exposed to media that works its way into the operating components (such as immersion in a silty stream, or being dropped in a mudhole, or being immersed in sand or fine dust), cleaned as necessary to restore to operational condition?

These are my main criteria. Unless it's an extremely arduous and protracted trip, I'm not necessarily all that concerned about weight and amount of lubrication required (although obviously a polymer-frame gun will normally have a bit of an inside track if those criteria become more preponderant in the decision matrix).

FWIW, my normal woods gun is my Glock G21, stoked with Buffalo Bore's 230 gr hollowpoints, which for me is likely to be adequate against black bears, cougars/mountain lions and 2-legged predators in my normal wilderness area-the Pacific Northwest. I would not feel underarmed with my Gen4 Glock G22 in .40, or any of my Ruger double- or single-action revolvers in .357 magnum (likely with Hornaday 158 gr XTP cartridges). In 9mm, my sole preferred selection would be my longer-barreled Glock G34 with Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ cartridges.

The Glocks would have an edge over the Ruger revolvers due primarily to their ease of disassembly if necessary, their capacity, and their lower weight. When deer hunting in the area, while my primary hunting pistol is my stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum (carried in a tanker-style holster), I carry my Glock G21 in a tactical thigh holster.

Best, Jon