PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Complication of my Life

John Hearne
07-16-2017, 11:55 AM
My agency has carried classic Sig pistols in TDA format (in 9mm, 40, and 45 with DAO and DAK as authorized options) since around 1990. Our agency's previous head armorer did not actually maintain guns and didn't know the difference between reloaded ammunition and a rechambered round. I didn't expect any changes to our allowed pistols and fully expected to carry a metal frame Sig until I retired. Apparently, our new armorer is a miracle worker because they've just authorized the Sig P320 as duty weapon (in 9, 40, or 45).

I'm excited by the progress but now I actually have a serious choice in duty pistols. I already own a P320 in 9mm which I bought for training newbies and like the platform. I'm not going to abandon my DA/SA P220ST Match yet but I'm very curious. Earlier this year, I borrowed a P227 and shot it next to my P220 and P220ST and decided to stick with my current gun based on performance. It looks like I'm going to be scraping up the money to buy a full-sized P320 in 45 to run side by side with my current gun and the P320 in 9mm. I know for some of our shooters, the P320 in 9mm with the small grip frame will be a no-brainer and I'm glad to see it as an option. Right now, the P320's have to be personally purchased but their IOP price point is really appealing.

In an interesting example of agency policy, we have had a very liberal AR policy. This changed as well. We allowed any DI gun from any manfacturer and had a very reasonable list of qualified accessories. This was good in that people could buy higher quality rifles and run them. Of course, it led to cheapskates buying bargain bin guns and we now have a new policy. It looks like all future purchases of 5.56 rifles will be Colt or FN as they are the only ones with the M-4 TDP. Had Colt not released the Colt Combat Carbine and FN the FN 15 Tactical II, I might be concerned but both of those rifles are nice turn key solutions. After seeing and hearing about what some folks had chosen to carry, I'm oddly OK with this policy - says the guy with an ancient Colt lower and a BCM upper.

SeriousStudent
07-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Real progress is a beautiful thing.

EVP
07-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Do you have any info on what you have personally found or prefer when running your classic sigs to the 320s?

Just curious does your agency let y'all run the Colt OEM 1 & 2s?

Seems like a great starting point to add accessories that an individual would prefer.

GJM
07-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Things must be real good now, because when I read "dramatic complication," I had a different image in my mind! Now the dramatic complication will be if you get a 320 .45, and shoot the 320 9mm enough better, that you have to balance cartridge and performance.

walker2713
07-16-2017, 02:27 PM
John: Glad to hear of progress on the firearms front with your agency.

Even though I also have a new CZ P10C, I took my P320 compact to the steel plate match this morning at the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's range, and was very pleased with its performance. I've put the small grip frame module on it, Ameriglo i-dot sights and had it stippled.

Altogether an awesome weapon.

It'll be interesting to see how your journey further into the newer Sig line will work out!

George