PDA

View Full Version : Compensated P229 - Questions?

jwperry
07-14-2017, 10:04 AM
I've been battling numbness in my hands & fingers for a couple of months and finally saw the primary DR about it...seems I have a touch of carpal tunnel. I'm a keyboard jockey at work, so it isn't really uncommon even for someone in their mid 30s.

I'm going to put my 1911s away for a while to see if that can help mitigate some of the issues that arise after shooting. I've found that the morning after a range session my right hand/fingers will normally be curled into a ball which takes some effort to un-curl...normally just a hot towel and some rubbing on my wrists.

But since shooting is my "outlet" I don't want to put it down all together. I'm invested in classic Sigs & 1911s; so I've been reading about compensated pistols and their ability to help mitigate some physical ailments other shooters have reported. As such, I'd like to give a P229R Roland Special type pistol a try. I may even pick up another $350 RMR from Cabela's to dedicate to this, not sure yet.

Here's some questions that I'm hoping the group can assist with:

-Who makes threaded barrels for the P229 other than Barsto or Sig?
-Can anyone identify any of the new mini/micro compensators that would pair well with the Sig's slide profile? TBRCI is who I've been looking at mostly, but if a KKM would work, I'll try either. They all seem tailored to the Glock/mini-Glock or M&P.
-My google-fu has been too weak to find it, but has anyone done this on a P229 or maybe P226 before?

wmu12071
07-14-2017, 10:15 AM
P229 sport comp maybe?

Default.mp3
07-14-2017, 10:30 AM
I think that you might have better results shooting bunny fart loads rather than going for a compensator.

I'm not too sure on additional manufacturers, but you always have the option of having someone installing a threaded extension; Tornado Technologies comes highly recommended in that department.

In terms of slide profile, I'm pretty sure all the Glock comps are going to be too wide. The HKParts Micro Comp (https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/VP9-Tactical-P30-P30L-Tactical-9mm-Micro-Comp-1-2-X-28-392p18029.htm) is probably a proper-ish fit, but TBH, I see minimal difference with some decent ammo loads (perceived recoil reduction is noticeable with Speer Lawman 115 gr and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P, but not with Speer Lawman 147 gr or Federal HST 147 gr).

Robinson
07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Have you tried an all-steel Government model 1911 in 9mm? It's much different than shooting the .45.

45dotACP
07-14-2017, 10:41 AM
I'd second a 9mm government model. A compensator added might be useful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MSparks909
07-14-2017, 11:01 AM
I've been very pleased with Freedom Munition's ammo as of late; it is noticeably softer shooting than standard 9mm loads. Definitely target loads. WWB 115 and even Wolf 115 are noticeably snappier than the Freedom stuff I have stockpiled. I've been very impressed with their 124 and 147 new manufacture stuff. Pretty much all I'm going to buy from now on. Might give that a try as a stopgap to see if it helps. The recoil of the Freedom 147gr loads out of my 5" 1911 is a joke.

nate89
07-14-2017, 01:30 PM
I was looking at a similar idea (comped 229) just as a project to see how it worked. I initially was going to draw up a design and have a friend work his CNC magic, but I think for testing the idea out, I like the idea of using the TBRCi mini comp for the Glock 43. It will be small enough to use in any open bottom holster I have, and should be at least a decent proof of concept before I tried anything else. I was going to give it a try on my 226 that has one of the silencerco threaded barrels I got for a good deal.

jwperry
07-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Have you tried an all-steel Government model 1911 in 9mm? It's much different than shooting the .45.

I have not. No one I know has a 9mm 1911 unfortunately.

I was looking at a similar idea (comped 229) just as a project to see how it worked. I initially was going to draw up a design and have a friend work his CNC magic, but I think for testing the idea out, I like the idea of using the TBRCi mini comp for the Glock 43. It will be small enough to use in any open bottom holster I have, and should be at least a decent proof of concept before I tried anything else. I was going to give it a try on my 226 that has one of the silencerco threaded barrels I got for a good deal.

I have a silencerco barrel too and whereas I'd like to be able to thread a comp onto both my P226 & P229, I didn't want to spend $350 on a Barsto P229 threaded barrel and the Sig barrels are all metric/LH thread.

I've been very pleased with Freedom Munition's ammo as of late; it is noticeably softer shooting than standard 9mm loads. Definitely target loads. WWB 115 and even Wolf 115 are noticeably snappier than the Freedom stuff I have stockpiled. I've been very impressed with their 124 and 147 new manufacture stuff. Pretty much all I'm going to buy from now on. Might give that a try as a stopgap to see if it helps. The recoil of the Freedom 147gr loads out of my 5" 1911 is a joke.

I generally shoot 115gr Tula, although I always try to shoot at least a mag of my carry ammo each time I'm at the range. My ammo isn't really the problem, my damn daily activity is. I might have break down and get one of the old lady ergo keyboards...

Default.mp3
07-14-2017, 03:02 PM
I generally shoot 115gr Tula, although I always try to shoot at least a mag of my carry ammo each time I'm at the range. My ammo isn't really the problem, my damn daily activity is. I might have break down and get one of the old lady ergo keyboards...https://ergodox-ez.com/

jwperry
07-14-2017, 03:04 PM
https://ergodox-ez.com/

...yeah something like that. I'm 20 years younger than the people who have them at my work. There are some hits I'm not sure my ego can take a hit on...

Default.mp3
07-14-2017, 03:15 PM
...yeah something like that. I'm 20 years younger than the people who have them at my work. There are some hits I'm not sure my ego can take a hit on...Mechanical with RGB and blank keycaps (or Hell, full custom keycaps)? That ain't no old fogie's keyboard, that shit's avant-garde.
https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/carbon/03_20170530164559.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1
http://i.imgur.com/fLTC68a.jpg

nate89
07-14-2017, 03:32 PM
I wonder what TBRCi would say if you asked for a thread pitch for a sig barrel? I would assume they would charge you extra, but based on other threading procedures I have seen, they probably have the different thread pitch programs already ready to go, and it would be a matter of selecting a different program to give it a different thread pitch.

rathos
07-15-2017, 02:34 AM
I know you were asking about a compensated gun, but get these, use them and your hands will feel better.

Expand your hand bands (http://www.ironmind-store.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153-10-Bands/productinfo/1376/)

HopetonBrown
07-15-2017, 04:40 AM
9mm Govt is about as soft shooting as it gets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rex G
07-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Short-term fix: .22LR conversion unit for your 1911. If your SIG has a rail, shoot with an X300 in place.

Long-term fix: 9mm or .38 Super 1911.

When I switched from a G22 to a P229R DAK in 2004, I really noticed the increased muzzle flip, with the same .40 ammo. This tells me a P229 is not the best orthopedic pistol. To make a long story short, my P229 is now retired, and I use 9mm Glocks, and .45 ACP 1911 pistols.

I have been managing CTS for quite some time, and have added arthritis to my list of annoying minor ailments.

5pins
07-15-2017, 08:51 AM
I would start off by trying to find the softest 147gr ammo first. If that’s not enough then go down the comp route.

Lon
07-15-2017, 03:25 PM
If you really want one and have more money than sense, you can always go here:

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com

They can probably fix you up.

jwperry
07-17-2017, 02:20 PM
I wonder what TBRCi would say if you asked for a thread pitch for a sig barrel? I would assume they would charge you extra, but based on other threading procedures I have seen, they probably have the different thread pitch programs already ready to go, and it would be a matter of selecting a different program to give it a different thread pitch.

It is more a matter of getting a sized comp that will fit well with the profile of the Sig's slide. They have both 1/2x28 & 13.5x1; I bought a P228/P229 barrel last week so I'm going to wait until another payday before buying the comp to try out.

Short-term fix: .22LR conversion unit for your 1911. If your SIG has a rail, shoot with an X300 in place.

Long-term fix: 9mm or .38 Super 1911.

When I switched from a G22 to a P229R DAK in 2004, I really noticed the increased muzzle flip, with the same .40 ammo. This tells me a P229 is not the best orthopedic pistol. To make a long story short, my P229 is now retired, and I use 9mm Glocks, and .45 ACP 1911 pistols.

I have been managing CTS for quite some time, and have added arthritis to my list of annoying minor ailments.

I've read a lot of your posts on here about dealing with CTS and I feel like the conclusion you've gone to is likely what I'll end up towards...minus the 9mm Glock. For some reason, for me to lock into a Glock to control the recoil it really bothers me. I just bought a G43 recently but that will be a sparsely used NPE gun and not something I run at the range very often. I was stuck between the G43 & the Sig P290.

I would start off by trying to find the softest 147gr ammo first. If that’s not enough then go down the comp route.

I normally shoot 115gr Wolf/Tula, 115gr Federal Champion Aluminum(which is a mouse fart of a load..) or 147gr Speer. All fairly tame, but going to the range after sitting behind a keyboard for 10 hours creates some discomfort nonetheless.

If you really want one and have more money than sense, you can always go here:

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com

They can probably fix you up.

They seem to be the only people that work on Sigs for compensated work...I'm not sure that those are my flavor though. And I'm not sure I'm willing to make that much of an investment to "test something out". Maybe before I had kids...

5pins
07-17-2017, 03:17 PM
I shot some of the Federal 115 Aluminum today, for the first time, and it was so soft I was surprised it functioned.

jwperry
07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
I shot some of the Federal 115 Aluminum today, for the first time, and it was so soft I was surprised it functioned.

I shoot a fair amount of UTM and I feel they recoil the same. Plus side is the Federal Aluminum has displayed high accuracy (IMO).

Manbearspider
07-17-2017, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure how much difference a comp will really make on a 229, especially compared to just hanging a WML or tungsten weight off the rail to bring some mass up front. Long term, a nice, all steel 9mm 1911 is a magical thing. The little time I had on a Wilson Combat 9mm was astoundingly soft shooting (and we were shooting 147 grain Gold Dot G2).

nate89
07-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure how much difference a comp will really make on a 229, especially compared to just hanging a WML or tungsten weight off the rail to bring some mass up front. Long term, a nice, all steel 9mm 1911 is a magical thing. The little time I had on a Wilson Combat 9mm was astoundingly soft shooting (and we were shooting 147 grain Gold Dot G2).

I had a Springfield 9mm 1911 5" with the light rail underneath. There is something about the all steel 5" 9mm 1911s that makes for about the easiest shooting pistol.

nate89
07-18-2017, 01:56 PM

I had a Springfield 9mm 1911 5" with the light rail underneath. There is something about the all steel 5" 9mm 1911s that makes for about the easiest shooting pistol.

07-21-2017, 04:33 PM
I suffer from numbness in my pinky and ring fingers with a loss of grip because of it. I don't have carpel tunnel, I have cubital tunnel syndrome. Interesting that you feel going to a compensated pistol would help you. I find that full size and long bbl. pistols cause me much worse problems during and after shooting. I now only find enjoyment and comfort in 4" and smaller pistols. Did the Dr.'s tell you that holding a heavier or tip heavy pistol would help your problems?