PDA

View Full Version : Week 225: The Test

Mr_White
07-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Week 225: The Test

Results may be posted until August 14th, 2017.

Designed by: Ken Hackathorn
Range: 10 yards
Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281&d=1322428748
Start Position: Ready, or see variations below
Rounds Fired: 10

Let's shoot this classic from Ken Hackathorn!

The most essential version of The Test is to start with the gun in a ready position, with a B8 bullseye at 10 yards, and the par time set to 10 seconds. At the start signal, shoot 10 rounds to the B8 under the time limit. Scoring is handled different ways depending on the context, but for our DotW, let's make the goal to get all rounds in the black of the B8 (which is the 9-ring or better.) Let's use a .3 second grace period with the par time so that the shooter can react and stop shooting if time runs out (set the par to 10 seconds, but only shots over 10.3 seconds are overtime shots that count as misses.)

You pass if you get all ten rounds in the black of the B8 under the time limit.

There are harder variations too - feel free to shoot any/all of them/work your way up/etc. - just note which way you shot it when you report your results.

If you can keep them all in the black under the time limit starting from ready, try drawing from the holster.

If you can keep them all in the black under the time limit drawing from the holster, try drawing from the concealed holster.

If you can keep them all in the black under the time limit drawing from the concealed holster, try going back to starting from ready, but shooting it strong hand only, or keeping all rounds in the 10-ring or better, etc.

Those are just some suggestions - there are lots of possibilities to make something harder while still firing 10 rounds at 10 yards under 10 seconds - just note what you did when your report your results.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster (if applicable), concealment (if applicable)
Variations (holstered, concealed, SHO, etc.)
Pass or Fail
Number of points
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Wayne Dobbs
07-14-2017, 11:05 AM
This should be fun!

Dagga Boy
07-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Never did one of these Drill of the Week things before, but being this is a favorite. Here is my second day with the PX4CC. Wayne and I usually shoot a cold test the first drill on the range to evaluate what we need to work on. This was done cold, at the Girl and a Gun Conference just prior to teaching a class. To say I was thrilled was an understatement.

Mr_White
07-14-2017, 04:26 PM
DB - I heard you really like the PX4 Compact. It's great to see you posting in one of these Drills of the Week!

GAP
07-14-2017, 04:40 PM
On my range as we speak.. shot cold using a 3x5 index card and a Glock 19 in a JM AIWB.

Pass - 10/10 - 9.75 (draw from concealment)

okie john
07-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Equipment used: Gen4 G19, no mods except for a Trijicon HD rear sight with Ameriglo night sight front post. No holster, no concealment.
Variations: None
Pass
Score: 97/2x

http://i.imgur.com/zDQF7B2.jpg (http://imgur.com/zDQF7B2)

Anything you noticed: I’ve been shooting this drill for years. It’s easy to get spooked by the time limit. 10 seconds is plenty and it's not that hard to shoot it in 7-8 seconds. Look at the numbers: most of us would agree that a 2-second first shot and 0.80 splits is pretty slow for the conditions of the standard drill. But if you can do that, then you’ll fire all 10 shots in 9.2 seconds.

If you can’t shoot it clean in par time, then the trick is not to go faster but to slow down. Find out how long it takes to hold the black, and stick to that. If you need 12 seconds, then take 12 seconds, but hold the black. Then use your timer and focus on keeping your split times as consistent as possible--ideally within a few hundredths of each other. If you shoot a bunch of .2's and break that up with a .5 (or a bunch of .5's and a couple of .2's), then focus on smoothing things up. As the splits get more consistent, they’ll get smaller. When I was shooting this one every couple of days, I could hold the ten ring for all ten shots in par time or a little less, and a couple of times I did that with 8-9 in the X-ring. I never quite hit 100/10x, though...

A side note: per a story that Ken Hackathorn tells in class, this drill came out of a conversation between him and Larry Vickers when LAV was running a portion of the training for new troops in a counter-terrorist unit. These guys had been through selection, but were not yet fully trained, and LAV needed a quick overall test of pistol skill as a sort of mid-term exam. Ken proposed The Test. Candidates were told that they could warm up all they wanted, but that they had to declare one run for score. If they failed, then they were sent back to their original units.

I bet that sucked.

Okie John

MVS
07-14-2017, 08:38 PM
G17MOS w/DPPro
Ready position
Pass
98 3X 6.84 seconds

From the holster
Pass
7.28 seconds

These were my first runs. I then ran some 5R5 and SHO/WHO runs. It took me a number of runs to shoot the SHO/WHO clean and in time, when I finally did, I stopped.

ST911
07-14-2017, 08:56 PM
One of my favorite exercises!

warmed up, 60 rounds fired already
gen2 G22 w/ KKM 9mm conversion barrel
from ready
run1: 5.68, 95-4X
run2: 5.80, 93-2X

Fail both targets. Didn't want to be cheesy and score the grease ring on #2.

Dagga Boy
07-15-2017, 07:07 AM
ST911, that may be a "fail" in this version, but it is good shooting by all other standards. The usual criteria is 90%. Dumping a couple out of the black is fairly normal. We use this drill a ton as a simple evaluation. We often get the "I don't need a basic class", "I ve been shooting all my life", "I m a cop", "I was in the military and am an expert", "I work in the gun industry", etc......we have a simple response to all of those......"Well, Let's shoot a Test" (often uttered in the same tone as the Church Lady from when Saturday Night Live was funny). For many here, this is not horribly difficult. For a majority of what we deal with from recreational or new shooters just starting to get serious, cops, military, etc., we call this "getting thrown into the deep end of the pool". This is one of those things that sort of needs to get mastered before we start working on the things many obsess about.
The ten yard TEST is really a simple test of the balance of speed and accuracy. It is execution of near perfect fundementals in a realistic time frame. The half test (10 rounds, five yards, five seconds, from the holster) is really a test of recoil control and speed management. We look at these as good evaluation drills to see where errors are being mad and a guide as to what to work on. Our Super Test and Advanced Super Test (and the revolver and snub versions) were all developed out of homage to Ken Hackathorn to have a battery of tests to help people get a solid skills evaluation. Many obsess over some tests or drills trying to attain some score or ranking. That is fine if it's your thing, but the true beauty of these things are really to be able to self evaluate performance and where you are.

Like I posted earlier, Wayne and I will shoot a cold Test out of the gate the second we step on the range. If I screw that test up.....fundementals failures will get fixed first before moving on to anything else. In my mind, if I can't shoot a 90 or better test cold...then I need to fix that before I start worrying about multiple target speed engagements, or working on other more difficult drills.

Duelist
07-15-2017, 01:54 PM
My first attempt at this drill ever. Shot cold, first rounds of the day.

G26, all factory except the SCD. From JCMK IWB#3, under an untucked button down.

92-0x, 2 in the 8 ring.
Fail- over time, 2 out of the black.

Francis
07-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Equipment used: G26 gen4, G17 mag
Variations: From ready
Pass or Fail: Fail
Number of points: ?,?, 97 , 92
Anything you noticed: I was using 2 types of ammo today so ran this twice with each type. The first run I only got 6 shots off before the buzzer. The 2nd run I never heard the buzzer so the time was 13.46. I didn't bother scoring those 2.

The next 2 runs were much better and, while a failure by the rules, a moral victory. Third attempt was a 97 @ 10.57, fourth was 92 @ 10.68. The main difference that I noticed was on the last two attempts my attitude changed. Rather than trying to get the perfect shot I decided to shoot when my sights were anywhere on the black. I didn't wait for everything to completely settle back down. So not a pass but progress.

backtrail540
07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Chopped and stippled glock 17, minus connector, Heinie's, gadget

All runs from the holster concealed under a polo in a Mastermind Tactics AIWB

Run 1 - 92 in 7.18 - fail (dropped 1 out of the black)

Run 2 - 93 in 7.2 fail (pulled one high right)

Run 3 - 98 in 9.00 - pass

The first run i smiley faced around the 10 ring so i tried driving the dot on run two. I know i can run top edge with this gun and combo, i just needed slightly better sight pictures than i was getting and not to be sloppy with the trigger presses. Not being happy failing both previous runs, i pulled my head out of my ass and got solid sight pictures and coupled them up with a nice press for a passing run. For the first two runs i was running .5-.6 splits, the good run i was .6-.8. It's amazing how much difference a .1 can make. I didn't feel i was pushing particularly hard, i knew the time limit was generous, even from the holster concealed, i just needed to put it all together. The first two runs weren't terrible and felt good, but i still didn't meet the goal, so i figured I'd give it a 3rd try but really buckle down to meet the all black standard and succeeded.

**all the pictures are sideways fyi***

BJXDS
07-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Equipment used: Glock 19 Gen 4, JMCK IWB 4 o'clock, concealed Tshirt, started from holster
Fail
Number of points: Did not count points of each run but the total was 186/3X
Anything you noticed: I ran this cold, 31 days no live fire, limited dry fire during that time. I missed 2 shots on the first run, and one with the red line on the second run. I think sight tracking for me takes the biggest hit during periods of no live fire, and maybe a little bit of grip.

Doc_Glock
07-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Equipment used: G17k, AIWB Concealed, Holstered
Pass or Fail: Fail, dropped one out of the black and took 11.41 to complete.
Number of points: 96

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/2b0ba8ab24718016058c6bdf2228f094.jpg

Anything you noticed: I shoot The Test, or the HITS 15/10/5 yard version a lot. I consider it one of the staples of my training. This day I shot it three weeks cold using a G17 with reduced grip to G19 size. Overall I am happy with the run, but my timing was not there to get under 10s.

ST911
07-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Anything you noticed: I’ve been shooting this drill for years. It’s easy to get spooked by the time limit. 10 seconds is plenty and it's not that hard to shoot it in 7-8 seconds. Look at the numbers: most of us would agree that a 2-second first shot and 0.80 splits is pretty slow for the conditions of the standard drill. But if you can do that, then you’ll fire all 10 shots in 9.2 seconds.

If you can’t shoot it clean in par time, then the trick is not to go faster but to slow down. Find out how long it takes to hold the black, and stick to that. If you need 12 seconds, then take 12 seconds, but hold the black. Then use your timer and focus on keeping your split times as consistent as possible--ideally within a few hundredths of each other. If you shoot a bunch of .2's and break that up with a .5 (or a bunch of .5's and a couple of .2's), then focus on smoothing things up. As the splits get more consistent, they’ll get smaller. When I was shooting this one every couple of days, I could hold the ten ring for all ten shots in par time or a little less, and a couple of times I did that with 8-9 in the X-ring. I never quite hit 100/10x, though...

Coming back to OJ's post above...

I shoot this test a lot and use it with others. I continually find that there's an intersection...sweet spot...of speed, accuracy, and rhythm that is unique to each shooter. It's more than smooth even splits, and not a matter of slowing down for hits. It's a way the gun rolls, the eye sees, and intangibles. I've tried to take the test apart a rebuild it, but it's a classic case of knowing what I'm seeing/experiencing and not being able to define it.

One method I use is to run multiple repetitions at progressively increasing or decreasing paces and see if numbers start to emerge. For example, I had some extra time on the range today waiting for students and ran five runs for score. I hit my time marks for the most part, starting quick and decreasing to 10 seconds. EDC gen4 G17, from the ready.

run1: 6.47, 96-2X
run2: 7.37, 96-2X
run3: 8.92, 93-0X
run4: 9.11, 96-3X
run5: 10.64, 95-3X

Run 1 is a good clip, not the fastest I'm capable of but a pretty good likelihood of a pass. Run 2 is where my sweet spot feels, where my rhythm is best, score is high, pace is quick but manageable, with high confidence of pass even cold. I think my target reflects it. Run 3 just felt wrong, not for any obvious reason but it wasn't where I knew to shoot. Runs 4 and 5 were solid, felt better than 3, and were what I'd slow to if a cold pass is required.

It's probably easy to overthink all this, but I also believe there's more to this test/drill/exercise than meets the eye. Anyone else?

jetfire
07-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Kimber Team Match II in 9mm, using Hornady 147gr XTP from the low ready position. Pass with a 99-6x. This was shot cold before a short practice session. I shot it four times after that from the holster instead of low ready and consistently dumped a shot, shooting in the high 8s on the time and always dropping one, but never more than one. Here are the other four targets with times and scores:

Fail, time 8.45 94-2x

Fail, time 7.58 97-6x

Fail, time 8.36 95-2x

Fail, over par time, 99-5x.

Failing four straight times shooting it out of the holster was annoying to say the least. I have no idea why all the images are sideways either, because they look correct on my phone and my iPad.

CCT125US
07-18-2017, 07:36 PM
HK USP9c
Trijicon 3 dots
JRC CDAII from under a t-shirt
97-6x = pass, under time
Not fond of the flyers to the 4 o'clock position. I believe i torqued my left hand into the gun to make up time. I also found this drill harder when fired from low ready, as I tend to over extend and lose lateral strength. I find it much easier to shoot from concealment, as I have multitudes of reps. I almost never shoot from low ready. Hark - I found something to work on

Doc_Glock
07-18-2017, 11:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/8887ce7c670e4c262135d12dd9add2bd.jpg

Shot it three more times today. None passed one was fast but I dropped a shot off the paper, the other two were >90, but not all black.

G17k.

WobblyPossum
07-19-2017, 06:54 AM
I shot this drill five times yesterday with my G26. Each time I drew from concealment. I failed miserably all 5 times. My low and left Glock shooting had really manifested itself and I had numerous rounds out of the black each time. It's time to get back to dry practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSparks909
07-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Shot this and the HITS version of the Test today near the end of my practice session. I was sufficiently warmed up to say the least ;)

PX4 Compact Carry shot from the ready position. Shot a 98-2X in 8.86.

Was feeling ballsy so I decided to shot it SHO. Prettt happy with my score on that attempt but I failed by going over time (11.12) and dropping 2 out of the black. Scored a 94-2X SHO.

Ended by shooting the HITS version of The Test at 15, 10 and 5 yards with 15, 10 and 5 second par times. Shot from the ready and scored a 289-13X. Dropped one out of the black so it's technically a fail but I'm very happy with this run score wise.

Sorry for the sideways pics! They were oriented correctly on my phone.

1Rangemaster
07-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Shot this and the HITS version of the Test today near the end of my practice session. I was sufficiently warmed up to say the least ;)

PX4 Compact Carry shot from the ready position. Shot a 98-2X in 8.86.

Was feeling ballsy so I decided to shot it SHO. Prettt happy with my score on that attempt but I failed by going over time (11.12) and dropping 2 out of the black. Scored a 94-2X SHO.

Ended by shooting the HITS version of The Test at 15, 10 and 5 yards with 15, 10 and 5 second par times. Shot from the ready and scored a 289-13X. Dropped one out of the black so it's technically a fail but I'm very happy with this run score wise.

Sorry for the sideways pics! They were oriented correctly on my phone.

MSparks909
07-20-2017, 11:09 AM
What did you quote this for?

1Rangemaster
07-20-2017, 11:14 AM
First post, and I screw it up...
However, shooting was better: Gen4 G26, w/Ameriglo CAP sights, +2 baseplate, shot from low ready, cold. First shots w/this particular weapon in over a year and a half, as I have been running either a G43 or G19(or both). 94 points (1X, 3"10s", 6"9s")in 9.33 seconds, all in black, slight left orientation (no pic, sorry-I'll figure it out). I was pleased and mildly surprised that it was a pass on first, cold attempt. My concentration was on staying in the black, hard focus on front sight, working trigger carefully but purposefully.
I like this "Test" very much, and have corresponded with Wayne Dobbs on their variations-"Super Test", etc. It can be an evaluation of hardware/software interaction, and/or a good drill to boot. Thanks, Gabe, for putting it up!

1Rangemaster
07-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Looking at my notes, the G26 run was one week ago(7/13). As I am on a work trip driving next week, and I am fortunate enough to have relatively easy access to an indoor range, I decided to give it a go today(7/20) with my usual carry piece: a Gen4 19, Warren/Sevigny night sights(two dots), otherwise factory. From cold(first shots today) low ready, pass in 8.27 seconds. 100, with (4)Xs, (6)10s. I am happy with that! Guess I might try some variations in another week or so to include draw, maybe a "Half Test".
Relevant perhaps to any conversation here is a comment from Hackathorn several years back: "As I am a little older than Mr.Vickers, I am a little more tolerant. Still have to have 90 points to pass, but allow hits in 8 ring to count." Gabe set this up as only shots in black to count; no problem, but I am curious as to what others might think of the "kinder, gentler" scoring...

Xhado
07-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Equipment used: Glock/ATEi Roland Special, RM06
Variations none
Pass or Fail 7.69/ Pass
Number of points 99

http://i.imgur.com/QIQkfhPh.jpg (http://imgur.com/QIQkfhP)

DG12
07-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Equipment used: Sig 229, AIWB, T shirt concealment
Variations: holstered, concealed
Pass or Fail: Pass, Failed the SHO
Number of points
Anything you noticed: Almost threw the first DA shot too low and was lucky I didn't as that was my worry before starting, mental game and all. Ran it a second time SHO with not so good results, but good to see where I stand almost cold (ran this right after the regular version). Great drill that I've done a bunch in the past. Thanks for posting it.

holmes168
07-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Equipment used: VP9SK
Variations: At the Low Ready
Number of points: 74 and 73
Anything you noticed: All of these are firsts.......time shooting a DOTW, time shooting at 10 yards in less than 10 seconds, time shooting at a B-8 target. So that should sum it up. I am posting my results because as I mentioned in my training journal- I need to hold myself accountable and I want to track my journey. I shot this a few times and the BIGGEST thing I noticed was that I consistently shot low. More than the lack of a shot group- the shooting low bothers me the most. I will say- I shoot better than I play golf and I cannot wait to get into a formal class.
I printed the targets off at work earlier today and thought- those don't look too bad of a size. Then- I hung them up at the range and watched as the very large circle became very small 10 yards later.

babypanther
07-25-2017, 05:23 PM
I shot this from the low ready, with my G4 Glock 19, and my duty gun, a G4 Glock 22 with the Streamlight TLR-1 attached. G19 has a Gen3 trigger and trigger bar installed (for the smooth trigger face), and has Dawson Chargers for sights. The G22 has Warren Tactical's, with a 2-dot setup. Both guns have a slight undercut for my middle finger, and both have "dot" connectors installed.

Time for the G22 was 9.46, scoring a 98-3x. The G19 came in at 98-5x, and at around 6 seconds, was noticeably easier to get the sights back onto the B-8. Love this drill.

spinmove_
07-25-2017, 06:53 PM
This was my first time ever shooting The Test.

Gun: G19Gen4
Variations: Low ready
Pass/Fail: Fail

Anything you noticed:
Pull some shots left. Need to speed things up as I did it in 11.90s. At least I kept them all in the black. I'll have to add this to my regular drills.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170725/1efd6d4e791eee346c52a4279acbca2e.jpg

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

bigslim
07-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Equipment used: PX4CC
Variations: From the ready
Number of points: 8/10

Number of points: 9/10

Pass or Fail: Pass
Number of points: 10/10

Anything you noticed: I consistently hit low with this pistol and it wasn't until I started to type this that I realized that it was said the sights hit at a 6:00 hold but for me it must be drive the dot. I can't believe this just dawned on me, next range day I'll have to verify this.

Mike

SsevenN
07-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Full Disclosure - shot this twice last week at a hand drawn 5.5" circle, failed both with 9/10 on each, I knew I was going to tackle it again so I didn't post here. (it's in my journal)

Equipment used: gun, holster (if applicable), concealment (if applicable) HK P30L LEM, JMCK George w/wedge
Variations (holstered, concealed, SHO, etc.) AIWB concealment
Pass or Fail PASS
Number of points 3X/94/100
Anything you noticed Nothing stands out other than what's been observed - this is very "baseline" stuff but can be exceptionally challenging if you have been practicing less focused, less practical shooting techniques.

https://youtu.be/sJ2bhKVYthA

Francis
07-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Equipment used: G26 gen4, MagPul 12 mag
Variations: From ready
Number of points: 85/10.44, 85/10.00
Anything you noticed: Shot two rounds of this drill with 2 types of ammo so 4xs total. First two were cold and my best. Both fails due to being outside the 9 ring. Later during the hour did even worse. Times were 9.64 and 9.75 but all rounds landed in the left, bottom quad of the paper and each drill had a miss. I think a bad day at the range was in my head by the time I shot this second round. Previous drills during the session were 3x5 with bad groups and 25 yd with big groups and Mikes. A very frustrating morning where everything seemed to fall apart.

I still have not figured out how to keep groups in the center of the paper.

Doc_Glock
07-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Number of points: 8/10

Anything you noticed: I consistently hit low with this pistol and it wasn't until I started to type this that I realized that it was said the sights hit at a 6:00 hold but for me it must be drive the dot. I can't believe this just dawned on me, next range day I'll have to verify this.

Mike

I often hit low with this Test compared to static slow fire (especially with the LEM trigger). In my case it was diagnostic of an anticipatory flinch.

Hambo
07-31-2017, 01:56 PM
7/29/17
Beretta 92G
Shot cold from ready
96xx
FAIL on time. I had a primer fail to ignite, pulled the trigger again and got the shot off, but it screwed me all up.

DEG
07-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Ran this two times cold (no live fire since 6/24).

G4G19-1 (trainer), low ready. Two passes. Felt good, decent speed, saw my sights.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/1935f90107f46bba8ffb471f510f2faf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/58d2edff0e8f427be9d71c85a86cb655.jpg

bigslim
08-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Variations: Holstered in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.0, Concealed under a Tee shirt

Number of points: 6/10

Mike

EricM
08-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Shot this cold, first live fire in a month and the very first rounds through my PX4CC.

-2 in 6.52 from low ready, fail:

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/080617/1.jpg

After warming up and getting used to the gun, tried a couple more times and still put the first round high each time, though the overall groupings tightened up.

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/080617/2.jpg

I only recently heard of the Super Test. Ran that once and barely passed with 274 (counting that ridiculous high shot as a miss). Times were 3.37 at 5, 5.69 at 10, and 12.07 at 15.

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/080617/3.jpg

The Test is one of my favorite drills, I often shoot it at the beginning of a session. Even though I've shot it many times and know better, I still have a hard time not rushing it when the timer goes off. But just telling myself to slow down and use up the available time isn't the right approach either, in my opinion...it should be about seeing what I need to see on the sights, using the appropriate trigger control for the target, and letting the time be what it is. I liked the Super Test, it will become my new cold drill of choice.

bigslim
08-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Number of points: 5/10

Mike

DEG
08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Ran this two times this morning (no live fire since 7/22).

G4G19-1 (trainer), low ready. Two passes. The scores may be off by one or two, but they are close.

MVS
08-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Shot this in class yesterday as a demo. Not my best work, but I thought pretty good under the circumstances. I must have looked relaxed doing it as the students all said they thought it was going to be easy after watching me shoot it, until they all failed.

1Rangemaster
08-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Equipment: COLT LW Commander, .45acp, modified by Ikey Starks of CO "back in the day". Bar-Sto barrel, King-Tappan sights, "beavertail" grip safety(Safari[?]), original Swenson ambi safety levers-this piece could be in a museum. Holster=Talon Tactical kydex, friction retention. As I don't own any 10 round mags, I elected to shoot a Hackathorn variation: 8 rounds from the holster, unconcealed, cold.
Pass or Fail: Pass, after a little drama. First run had a failure to chamber on last round. I suspect the magazine spring was weak. Replaced mag; subsequent run 96 points in 8.21 seconds.
Notes: Had a previous post Friday which disappeared when I clicked-sure I screwed up the transmission. On 8/11, same gear, cold = fail-one round at about 1 o'clock high in "8", under time. I analyze that as a bit of "heeling", or unbalanced grip pressure to insure grip safety depressed. I had performed two brief dry fire sessions to remind myself of handling differences. We, as a group, are certainly better off these days with gear.
One shouldn't be too sentimental about machines/tools, but this was a pleasant interlude, like coming across an old friend after decades and catching up a bit. I would carry this old friend again, with tested mags, but there are easier choices these days...

scw2
08-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Shot this outdoors on 8/12. G19 from low ready.

Ran it theee times and got 9/10, 10/10, 9/10. Called the misses.

Noticed sights were tracking back to he original point of aim. Upon reviewing video need to firm up my stance a. It.

https://youtu.be/DRE-4NutMu8

MSparks909
08-18-2017, 09:09 AM
I know that this Drill of the Week post is technically "closed" but I shot a PB this morning running the Super Test. Gun was my P226 MK25RX. Haven't shot it in a few months and felt like bringing it along today. Red dots are freaking awesome past ~10 yards. However I do notice I'm much slower with them inside 10Y. The low shot in the 9 ring was during the 5Y string...

299-?X